Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Volkswagen Jetta

Comments

• crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Posts: 2,346
    Yes, I hear you..TDI's here in Cda already demand a premium. I think sales are about only 500 to 600 less than full List.

I do not believe the electrical revolution is the ultimate answer for all mkts in NA, especially the colder climates. And also, the EPA FE tests are skewed and do not really reflect real-world use. Astute hybrid owners would realize this, but whether they admit it or not is another story.

Instead, I think we should be demanding more turbo diesels. Get the Polo over here. And the diesel powered Chevy Cruze, and the diesel powered Ford C Max Mazda5-sized, people hauler. And so many other wonderful and very efficient diesel options that are common-place in EU.
  • Some of our prayers have been answered. I just noticed that Edmunds has info up on the 2012 Polo. They tentatively have the MSRP set at $16200. Not sure how accurate that is, but they said both 4 and 2 door models are coming (there IS a God!). 1.4 and 1.6 motors are listed with the possibility of a 1.6 turbodiesel! VW has FINALLY got something right. Interesting that VW might be pricing the Jetta as the cheapest model though....I think I just found my next car...a 2 door Polo GTI (I've got my fingers crossed they bring it!). Hello reincarnated 2012 version of my old 84 Rabbit GTI!
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Posts: 1,704
    Hello Everyone!

I have about 350 miles on my new 2011 Jetta. I think I made the right choice! I am really starting to appreciate the car. Though, I do think it has been using more gas than normal, but it is still very new. It will get better I am sure. The build quality is great. The areas of a bit cheaper quality plastic is here and there, but to be honest can be found on my cars anyway. The dash is a bit shiny and could see why one wouldn't like it. It really needs to be more of a matte finish. Its okay. Not a big deal or really going to be noticed.

Also, I noticed around the door handle there is gap where I think this is all glued together. I can see the glue ever so slightly in extreme sun light. I am sure not anyone is going to notice, but I did. But, I pay attention to detail. It doesn't look bad, but odd.

The entertainment system is amazing! I am going to love it. So simple and offers just about any way to listen to music. You can stream bluetooth music, SD card, CD changer, ipod, Surius, Aux. Plus, if I get a phone call it will ring and I can talk. Voice dialing is cool once I get the hang of the commands.

My family members noticed the nice roomy back seat. That is going to be nice.

Also, I am still wondering if I leave my lights on, if they will turn off after awhile. My G6 had auto lights and I sorta miss it! Even the base corolla has it. I will miss my remote start! It is a bit cold!

I totally feel like I am driving a much more expensive car! It feels upscale from the tan interior to the white gold exterior. I plan to get the windows tinted. It will look awesome! The engine is night and day compared to my G6. So refined and strong. Not to mention the Sport option and shifting option. It will be fun to drive this spring!

The new Jetta is also rated very safe too and my maintenance is paid for. That is great!

I will post more as I drive more.
  • Hey gang,

I just purchased a 2011 CANDY WHITE Jetta 2.0L Model S with following options, 16" Steel wheel rather than standard 15" and a complete 4 Rubber mats and trunk liner. The purchase price was $16748 include $750 rebate and $770 destination fee with no money down. Would you guys consider this a good deal? Let me know thanks. I know that for model S with out the 16" wheels and mats invoice was $16411 before rebate and destination fee.

Please let me know feed back, I would appreciated. Just either punch myself on the head or pat myself on the back..... :blush:
  • Oh, follow up to my post. That was $16718, not $16748.

Just wanted to say that anyone out there hesitant to purchased a 2.0L model....don't be. On (D) yeah I must admit as I told the seller who was sitting next to me while doing a test drive that it was way under power even for typical 4 cylinder engine. I should know I have 2010 Equinox with 4 cyl, but once I discover the joy of using sport mode on the shifter, hell...drop it down to 4th and usually does the trick and very entertaining. Also 3rd gear for extra ooomph but usually I reserved that for a fast/fun drive, not necessary require for highway pass 4th gear does just fine. For stop light however you will want to start on 2nd gear and shift immediately to 3rd and so forth. I also like to down shift action, just like manual but with out the clutch!! So again, if you think SE is too much over your price range don't overlook the 2.0L. Test drive and play with the sport shift, you will like it. :P
  • Please keep us informed on gas mileage and how you like it. How is the ride and handling?
  • Sure will, but I haven't fill it up my first tank yet.
    The Jetta 5 cylinder engine is night and day in comparison to the GM 4cyl. So much more refined. It does not seem to upshift as much, if at all when going up a slight hill. If it does, then you really don't tell. Much more power, but technically it doesn't. It feels much more powerful.

I cannot wait until I can take it out on the interstate!! The suspension is so much more forgiving than the G6. The whole car has much more confidence.

But, I really miss the remote start and automatic lights. But, no deal breaker.
  • I was impressed with the 2.5L too. It seems like that little engine puts out a ton of torque and that is why it drives so well.
  • I have a 2009 Jetta which as manual headlights (no auto on). I left them on one day by accident, and they do turn off after a period of time. I would think that VW kept this same feature on the new model.

Glad you are enjoying the 2011. My 2009 is great, and when the time comes to get a new one, I am sure the first place I will look is at the VW dealer for a new Jetta.

Bel Air Car Guy
    I filled up my tank last saturday. I am only at a half a tank. Keep in mind I normally have to fill up once a week. So I am already seeing a notice in better gas mileage. It is so efficient and the fact it has 6 gears! Everyday, I begin to think I made the right choice! Took me about 2 months to pick a car.

Good to know about the headlights! :)
  • Hi guys,

I haven't had this Candy White Jetta for a week and my wife happen to run into a deer :( Nothing serious just the fact that bumper is misaligned.
    Luckily she is okay!!!! She is in a safe car! That is a bummer though :(
  • I have a 2011 Jetta. Purchased it in November. The driver & passenger side windows have a slight whistle. I had the car into the dealership twice and VW corp. has been involved. I was just told that this is the characteristic of the vehicle. I'm not sure how to feel about that. Is anyone else having this same problem?
    Regarding this:
    Anti-slip regulation (ASR)
    Engine Braking Assist (EBA)
    Electronic Differential Lock (EDL)
    Electronic Stability Control (ESC)

I was reading a C&D review that said "and a simpler stability-control program that can no longer be shut off or even reduced. "

Can you guys tell me if the 2011's still have ASR and EDL? And if so please check your manual and tell me if it does have a switch or not to be able to turn it off. I live on an AWD hill, but am trying to test FWD cars that might be in the running for making it up my hill in the winter. The nearest VW dealer is quite the drive so trying to find this out online first.

I know from experience that even with my AWD, there are certain times that the traction control has to be turned off in order to get up the hill. If it were FWD i know that TC would have to be turned off 100% of the time because it is so useless and does nothing but interfere unless you are doing highway speeds when it is slippery and using cruise (which people shouldn't do in the first place) If a car has TC and it uses cutting engine power as part of its processing, and it really can't be turned off or deactivated below a certain slow speed, (say 25mph) then that car is useless to me at any price.
    This dealer response you got is easily addressed by driving a different demo car like yours.

If it doesn't whistle, then you can look at them and not even have to say a word.
    Plus you will know that in future, you can't trust everything that comes out of their mouth. Before you condemn the delaer tho, I would get at least 2 different opinions from the dealer, so that you aren't condemning them due to one bad representative that should be fired.
  • asaasa Posts: 359
    Regarding mariobgoode's thoughts that $4 gasoline in the U.S. might spur TDI sales, I was filling up our '10 Sportwagen TDI and a woman at an adjacent pump was grimacing over gasoline prices. When I suggested she look at a diesel, she said, "But diesel fuel costs even more!" I responded by saying that diesel fuel costs 10% to 15% more than gasoline (in my area), but that our TDI gets 30% to 40% better fuel economy. I'm not sure how VW, MB and BMW should be educating potential buyers, but they need to. Many potential buyers are excited about hybrids, but know nothing about the many merits of diesels, including the fact that our Sportwagen is a blast to drive in a way that no Prius will ever be. :D
  • al63017al63017 Posts: 149
    Just bought mine two days ago and no whistling window noise at all. Car is quieter inside than Honda 2009 Accord I got rid of. My last three Accords have been terrible inside with the tire noise on highway.

You cannot turn off ASR. I was concerned about this but called dealer in Minnesota where they have snow all year long and asked about this and he said their ASR called VSA on Honda actually works and does not totally kill the throttle so you cannot give the car any gas at all like some do and you have to turn them off or you will never move. I will find out tomorrow as I have a hill also that I could not even move 1 inch in Honda CRV I also had 2007 unless I turned of VSA or equivalent of ASR on Jetta. It is a TDI and coming out of Honda for years I see no downgrade in quality it is much quieter as I said, and fit and finish and much tighter and sportier drive than my 4 door Accord. My daughter has Coupe Accord and it always felt like a sportier drive not sure if suspension was same but the 2011 TDI is great. Mileage unbelievable as get 38 without trying in mixed driving and upper 40's in brief highway trips I have made.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for this post! The torque of that TDI will deliver giggles for years, I am confident. I sure hope they are as dependable as the old ones as I too am trying to rationalize the extra price of admission. even tho i don't drive as much. It's just I love diesels.

A few coincidences here as I too have a 'noisy' CRV with a seat that hurts my back. Interior noise and that seat are two reasons I am car shopping even tho my car would literally last me the rest of my years I think. I too have had to turn my VSA off in certain conditions, so I am glued to this thread to hear about your findings tomorrow.

Also glad to hear about the no whistling. The other poster should check for obvious signs of rubber moulding irregularities where it meets the metal door trim.

Congrats on the new ride!
    I have similar whistle. Not a huge deal, but it is a bit noticeable. I wouldn't call it annoying, but my G6 didn't even have a whistle. Though, the cabin is so quiet and collected. I feel so calm and confident in the car.

I might ask what is causing the whistle, but not anything yet to get upset with. Though, it is so early that time will need to be out a little longer for people to review it.

I am not even worried about it.