Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado (C/K) & GMC Sierra (1988 - 1998)

Comments

• 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    Just turned 65K miles today and the truck is still going strong! 97 Silverado 4x4, 5.7L, auto, Z71, 3rd door, bought used at 48K miles.
    Only problems encountered so far have been a bad EGR, Fuel Pump and Power Steering Unit.

Debating on changing the auto tranny fluid again, just did it at 50K, have heard that if you tow, 15K auto tranny fluid changes are better for the tranny. I only tow during the summer, but now have to face stop and go traffic going to work and home. It's been cold and snowy the past few days here in Denver and I have the DTA (Don't trust anyone) attitude so I won't take it to someone else. Anyone else tow with their truck?? When do you change the auto tranny fluid??

Anyone change transfer case fluid?? How often do you do it??

By the way I had to change my front brakes last summer also, not because the pads were worn, but the bozo that had the truck before me heated the rotors up so bad they were worped and the truck would shimmy when stopping with the boat. Took the rotors down to the machine shop, they had to turn one of them twice to get it to clean up, put the sure stop towing pads on ($44 ouch!!) and it stops like a dream with and without the boat!!
    See ya

Bob
  • akjbmwakjbmw Posts: 231
    bkgwolf
    I wondered about the treatment of the transmissions that were failing in all the posts I read at this site. I suspected that they were being abused. Now, I’m less inclined to think that way.

I bought my ’98 K1500, (ext cab, Z71, 350ci, 3.73, 4L60E, made in Texas for California smog) truck with 47K on the odometer a year ago.

Within the first month, reverse didn’t reverse. They put in a used replacement (First Extended service contract) that lasted a week before putting itself into neutral just as I reached about 65 after getting onto the freeway. I was told that they had it rebuilt locally this time.

I am driving a rental car at the moment due to the O/D servo unit being replaced. This requires removing the trans to do. I don’t like the effect of the O/D going in and out at a frequency of about a second of time engaged and then a second of time disengaged continuously while maintaining a constant speed from about 45 to 65 mph. It behaved the same in third gear selection at a lower range of speeds.

I towed a 4x8 U-haul (maybe a thousand pounds) once for five hundred miles. The rest of the time ha been easy daily driver and some weekend trips of about 1100 miles a few months ago.

While I like the truck very much, it doesn’t inspire confidence. I have no intention of dumping it and will likely watch for a used C3 in a couple years as a replacement.

Anyone else had the “undecided Overdrive”? Not the same as the “hunt” when it doesn’t know which gear to be in at a certain speed.
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    I really love the 1988 to 1998 GM fullsizes , especially like the earlier models , I have a 1991 chevy c1500 ext. cab swb , 350 , automatic , silverado , its crimson red on top and bottom and sandstone in the middle , its been a really good truck , it has 215,300 miles on it , it has the same motor and transmission in it , and has never been touched , despite the mileage it looks REALLY good , when I tell people how many miles it has on it , they go "THAT HAS 215,000 MILES ON IT !!!!" " YOUR KIDDING " . thanks--------------------mattmcdill
  • Did you put a paint job on it at all. We have a 92 that's white. In the last year the paint has started to peal...kind of like my '85 that was the light blue that was known for it. Just wondering.

Chris
    No, its never had a paint job, and still looks great ,the truck has been really babied , i see alot of white chevy trcuks peeling . thanks-----------mattmcdill
    Please translate the ’ “ and ” character sequences in my post above to a standard quote or apostrophe as appropriate. No idea where those came from.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Did you use the spellchecker feature?
  • Another possibility for weird stuff in posts - are you using a wordprocessor to compose, then copying into Edmunds?
    I have been using MS Word to compose and allow for the spell checking there. Then copy and paste for the post. No problems up until now. Guess I will have to do a copy and "paste special" within word to strip out the fancy stuff that may otherwise go unnoticed. "Problems" are the primary learning tools. ;-)
  • DUAL EXHAUST. I've got a '97 K1500 Silverado reg. cab. While I don't have any problems with the truck, I'm wanting to put duals on it. But, I've heard some absolute horror stories about this model & duals. Particularly, losing all the low-end power. I know these motors are engineered to optimum performance with the OEM exhaust systems, and I was wondering how they react to reduced backpressure. I know I'll gain power on the top end, but I don't want to lose my low-end torque for pulling and such.

If anybody has any info on this, I'd be most appreciative!

keith24
    If you insist on having the duals, make sure the pipe size doesn't exceed 2". Anything larger will insure loss of lowend torque. Best size for performance is 3" in 3" out single exhaust.
  • they advised against duals as well. The tech guy I talked to suggested the dual 2-1/4" in/single 3" out. It'd give a little more performance, and get a quiet "flowmaster" rumble.

Thanks for the info!

keith24
  • I have a '92 Chevy K1500. I have a dual 2 1/4" with no catylatic converters and glass packs. You have to find out where your oxygen sensor is placed. Some are placed in the catylatic converter, while others are placed in the exhaust manifold. If in catylatic converter, it is real easy to drill and tap into the exhaust manifold for oxygen sensor. After I did that, it increased my up 15% top end and low end. I have been running this system for 90,000 miles and the truck has over 126,000 and still running strong. It also has increased my fuel mileage by about 4 mpg.
    I have had a few systems on my 91 c1500 extcab ,350 , automatic , 3.08 rear . first aftermarket, was a free flow cat , out of a 3inch pipe into a single glasspack (big ) , into 2 , 2 1/4 inch pipes routed out the back , next was a straight pipe ( where the glasspack was ) , and the most recent was a free-flow shuttleworth muffler , I noticed a slight power increase with the glasspack , and I actually lost power with the straight pipe , the biggest gain was with the shuttleworth muffler , by far , it was a whole lot smoother , and It would just leap off the line , like it never did with either the glasspack or the straight pipe , and it also showed in my g-tech measured 0 to 60 times , with the glass pack it was about , 9.7 , straight pipe , 10.12 , and the best with the muffler was 8.91 , and the highest was 9.2 . thanks--------------mattmcdill
    That is pretty bad gass mileage , I get about 14 in town with my 91 c1500 , extcab 350, auto, 3.08 rear , all ive done is k&n and exaust , you don't have oversized tires do you ?, Ive also got a 92 suburban 2500 , 4x4 , 350 , automatic , 4.10 rear , and it gets 11 mpg no matter how you drive it , I don't really know what to tell you .
    I have a '00 Denali 4wd with the 5.7 and get 12 city 16 highway. Vehicle weighs close to 6000# and it has the 3.73 rear.
  • 4x4man4x4man Posts: 222
    Anyone heard of this?? My dad is also having a fuel mileage problem, 88 chevy extended cab 4x4, 5.7L recently rebuilt by me, 4 speed, 3.73's, 3/4 ton truck. He states he is only getting 10 mpg now instead of 13mpg in town. I think 10 in town is pretty good for his truck, it only has a 4 speed. Checked timing (0 degrees per factory spec), replaced plugs wires, dist cap and rotor and fuel filter. Last thing I can think of would be fuel injectors.

Anyway he found this website about this FuelMAX thingy, supposedly it gives up to 20% increase in mileage and some kind of performance boost. Anyone heard of it??

Here is the website:

http://www-mtl.look.ca/~tonyg29/

By the way my 97 Silverado 4x4 5.7l auto 3.73 is getting 13-15 in town, around 17-18 on highway, on a long highway trip I managed to get like 20 or 21, but haven't ever seen it again since.

See ya

Bob

• Just turned 76,000 on my Silverado and she's gettin' stronger every day. I've only towed a 17' BassAmerica with her and over the years I've replaced the tires once, the exhaust once, and put a new battery in her.

I got her with power windows, A/C, am/fm/cassette/, 5.7 350, deluxe cloth interior,etc. and I spray 'sealed' the bed and chassis before installing a full bed liner and aluminum cap. Even though I live in NC.

She'll be around until 2011....no problem. Question is.....will I?
    Your truck sounds nice! and with such LOW miles on it , what color is it ? , what body is it extcab, regular cab , swb, lwb ect. ? thanks-------------mattmcdill
  • akjbmw-
    Thanks for the info. I will watch mine closely. So far it is fine. I am not gonna go out and buy a spare tranny because of it, but as they say take everything you hear and read with a little common sense. I was gonna ask about the strange 8217 things, thought that was some stock part for 2nd and 4th gears.. I do have one question for you, mine is the 4X4 not Z71, but I have checked and mine has the 3:73 positraction rearend, all the skidplates. Is it some special rancho or Belstein shocks that get you that nice sticker on the side? I believe mine would perform as well. I have had it out and played with it in 4hi and works flawlessly. It has actually snowed and iced here in NV. Thanks for any info.
  • Nice to know at least one other c/k above 60k is doing nicely. Mine is at 39 and doing fine. I would also like to know the change out interval of tranny fluid and rear and front end oil.
  • looking for information or advice in reference to 98 1500 5.0 4wd ex cab sob. the vehicle I may purchased has 28000 miles 4spd auto 3.73 ratio. the vehicle will be used to pull small enclosed work trailer (1500-2000lbs). any problems with this vehicle pulling loads? any mechanical or 4wd concerns. tax pail
    Update on Trans repair.
    After talking to the trans repair shop that actually did the latest work, I have cleaned up the story I was given when the trans failed in the first place.
    After the original trans failed, First Extended had a used trans installed.
    When that trans failed, I was told by the service writer that the trans was “rebuilt locally”.
    Now with the overdrive pressure switch failure and repair at a local shop and the opportunity to talk to them, I find that the trans that they found in the truck was not a rebuilt, must have been another used unit. However, they have replaced the switch, rebuilt the valve body and replaced the torque converter.
    I believe that if I had been left without any one else to pay for repairs, I would have taken it to a local shop that I know from owning a Taurus and Sables. It would have been repaired correctly in the first place. Oh well…
    Just came back from a weekend excursion to watch the UCLA Gymnastics Team win again. Snow with controls over Donner Friday night and again coming back last night. Love those buttons on the dash to engage 4x4…;-)
    bkgwolf

The differences have been reviewed before, but the only thing I know for sure is that it had Bilsteins in it when I bought it.
    I have successfully not cared whether it was there or not. The chain control folks may look at it. ‘Course, they are looking from the front and aren’t likely to see much of the rear quarter. Maybe it’ll help at selling time…

Are you in Northern Nevada? I am in the Reno-Sparks area.
    Even a "paste special" choosing unformatted text ends up with the wierd stuff. Substitute the wierd test in my posts with quotes or apostrophes.
  • I got a 1995 Chevy Z-71 ext. cab w/a 350cid. I have a 3" lift w/ 33in all-terrain tires. It has K&N and Flowmaster. I am getting anywhere from 10-11mpg. During the summer, I pull a lawn trailer but mileage is no different than when I dont pull it. Any suggestions on what to do thats cheap?? I am also trying to sell it right now if anyone is interested, I live in atlanta.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    what was the mileage like before the lift & big tires?
  • I dont know. I bought the truck w/ the lift and tires already on it.
  • iusecadiusecad Posts: 287
    someone else can answer this better, but, maybe the big wheels are causing your low mpg...
  • bkgwolfbkgwolf Posts: 5
    akjbmw,
    Yea, true, I care more about mechanically sound than stickers on the side, cause that is where the true story of the vehicle is. Sounds like you have just had some bad luck with used tranny's in yours. Hopefully yours is fixed this time for good. Mine is still fine, a little cold blooded in the morning, but goes from a to b. I am an hour east, in Fallon out at the base.
This discussion has been closed.