Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• tag9tag9 Posts: 39
    In general, I think you're correct about third-row seats being vinyl. My point was that quite a few of these vehicles cost thousands more than the Ody yet the quality of the leather (where there even IS any) leaves much to be desired. I would still consider the Ody a bargain even if the leather is not top quality. In short, I'm not expecting Connolly hides for under $30k.
  • Has anyone seen a list of 2002 Ody accessories or upgrades? There is definitely a CD Changer shown in the Hondanews.com photos.
  • You're probable referring to the bottom item on the picture. Look at this much BIGGER picture (thanks the host allowing me to post it here), you'll see the item could be a DVD/CD player, maybe not a CD changer. Could the upper CD player be a DVD player too? I did see some DVD buttons, but could be see DVD signs like the bottom one does.

• About 100 posts back, there was a questions about LX vs EX and the necessity of the power sliders. No, they are not necessary. They are, however a great convenience. They are also a giant hassle when they fail. After 5 trips to the dealer and over a full day of work spent waiting on-site, taking the dealer's shuttle to work and (when the dealer started to feel bad) waiting to sign out a rental/loaner car, my '00 EX was lemon'ed and I got an '01 EX. The '00's doors had a problem the day I picked up the van (and in fact, each door developed its own problem - one had closing and beeping problems, and one had opening problems) . Thus far, 5 months of my '01 have been w/ zero problems.

In '00, only EX had TCS and driver seat height adjustment (left brain reason) plus w/ all the other toys (keyless remote and steering wheel radio controls a favorite - right brain reasoning) I went w/ the EX.

Here's my advice; if
    1. you want the van for the long, long haul (7+ years)
    2. you can spare the toys and saving $1 - 2k is not a bad thing for you (some folks NEED to spend as much as they can);
    then get the LX w/ addition of keyless remote.

I like having the EX toys and the doors, but when I look at my other vehicle (a 1994 model I hope to keep at least until 2004) then think about my Odyssey - I am confident my Odyssey will start, drive, stop, and play music just fine, but I wonder what will happen to those EX doors in 2008...
  • An earlier post asked for recommendations for more available vans than Odyssey. If you are in fact trading in a '99 for an '02, consider Chrysler T&C (quasi-European - Daimler name). For three years, it should hold up fine; DC quality is improved according to Consumer Reports and other sources. Also, Edmunds' minivan comparison noted that it was the best driving van. The dash looks really cool w/ dual-colored and chrome trimmed gauges. Odyssey is plain (but, true to Honda, functional). The real DC drawbacks in my opinoin are resale, long-term reliability, and company backing its products; for the former, try leasing (that way you fix the pricing and depreciation from day 1), and certainly drive a really hard bargain. When they see you trading in from an Odyssey and hear that your are on the list for another, they may really deal to steal a Honda customer. The end-of-year '01's on the lot may also offer extra savings that you will not find at Honda. For long term quality, if you also keep this van 3 years - not an issue. The warranty should keep you covered. Also, Consumer Reports has not given the usual Honda gold star to the Odyssey (esp the 1999's). My '00 EX was a lemon. With a new plant going on line in Alabama, Honda quality may again slip in '02 (can you request a Canadian-built van?).
    What Odyssey does have going for it is how well most complaints seem to have been fielded by Honda. Honda really did well by me in the end when I had a problem they could not fix.
    Good luck.
  • Thanks to Ody2002 for posting the larger picture of new CD/DVD/Cassette Unit. I'm still thinking that this is a CD changer Unit as well. Can you read the the printing on the 4 buttons flanking the rotary control? They look like: AM/FM, Tape, CDCHG (Cd Changer?), and DVDAUX. Anyone?
  • Certainly looks like a CD changer to me. In addition to the CDCHG button, notice that buttons 5 and 6 are also Disc- and Disc+ for selecting among the discs.

But what also caught my eye is I'd like to know what that white REAR PWR button is for?
  • Thanks Diyman for reassuring me, that I'm not crazy. My thought on the rear power button is that it turns on the power to the DVD unit, LCD screen, and rear headphone controls. Also, I noticed that the DVD unit below has a light for CD and DVD, which leads me to believe that you can play a CD on the DVD unit and listen to it in the headphones separate from the main CD player above. This would allow rear seat passengers to enjoy separate CD music. Just a guess........
    .....and yet another query. Note that the LCD to the right of the rotary control reads "2-05". What else could this indicate other than Disk 2, Track 5 (audio track for CDs/chapter track for DVDs)? Also, the LCD reads "DVD" directly above the numbers. Does that mean you would load the DVDs/CDs in the DVD player?? I need answers; this CD/LCD/DVD thing is leading to OCD (Odyssey Compulsive Disorder).
  • rrr54rrr54 Posts: 14
    Does anyone know of any sites that would show service buletins relating to the Oddy.?
  • rk17rk17 Posts: 2
    They promised to sell us an LX model at MSRP -- no extra charges or packages. This was over a month ago and we have been checking with them almost every week. Today they caleed back saying that we need to buy an extra package worth $2000+ in order to get on the list. It was the standard "auto dealer speak" the agent that you spoke to didn't have the complete information ... we will have to deal with her internally ... blah blah blah.

Any recommendations on other dealers selling LX models at MSRP in the NJ/NY area?
    http://www.alldata.com/recalls/index.html

(Select year and then Honda Truck)

I believe you'll only get titles since Honda restricts access to consumers.

• slockoslocko Posts: 107
    Try Academy Honda on Route 9 in Old Bridge/Parlin. The guy (John S.) told me msrp no addons.
  • Nice observations, Shelly and others! Yes, it certainly looks like a CD changer is installed but it was not mentioned in Honda's specifications and advertisement brochures etc. I will treat it like a nice gift from Honda :-)
  • ian2ian2 Posts: 168
    If the dealer is offering you $3000 instead of $19500, give them the $3000 in cash and sell the car somewhere else. See what they say. :)
  • The CD/DVD player has controls to control a CD-changer. This does not necessarily imply that the changer is included -- it could be an add-on option. For example, my 1994 Accord EX has buttons to control an optional CD-player, but it did not come with a CD-player.

On the other hand, it would be nice if Honda included the CD-changer with it...
  • diploiddiploid Posts: 2,286
    Well the Honda salespeople are milking every penny they can from this thing. I bet the CD changer will be optional, not standard.
  • With all due respect to JimBlock, if you look at the photos, there is no more room for a SEPARATE CD changer that can be controlled by the main unit. Therefore the CD changer is intergrated with the main CD/AM/FM unit. Additionally, I just picked up the new 2002 Ody brochure from the dealer, and it offers a 6 cd changer as an option and pictures a unit that would mount below the standard cassette or cd unit, but would definitely not fit under the larger DVD/CD unit. On another note- the 2002 brochure has a photo of the Ody in Havasu Blue......all I can tell you is...thank g-d I changed my color preference to Mesa Beige! The blue looks my grandmother's Ford Tempo.
  • I have been trying for a month to get on Kay Honda's 2002 Odyssey list. They seem totally clueless about when they will get word of their allocation. I have been pointing out to the salesman (Anthony S) where to look on the web and find lists of new features and pricing. In all fairness, they only asked for a $200 refundable deposit and haven't even processed my card yet. Academy Honda of Old Bridge is owned by same parent company (DCH). I wouldn't expect big difference in pricing, but I am gonna give 'em a call and see.
  • I agree with shellymeister1 - the CD changer is an OPTION and not standard on any model. Check the brochure. I'm not sure how it's integrated into the dash since the pic of the option doesn't show any other controls, just the CD changer. I'd guess it goes into a spare cubby slot (like my CR-V now has right below the standard in-dash CD) But then what will the main control look like? Will it be a cassette version of the AM-FM stereo and the CD-Changer a separate unit below it somewhere - is it one whole bigger unit. That nice interior pic a few posts back was of the Leather package with RES and the controls and added disc slot is for the DVD. Can someone tell us about the standard EX with adding 6-disc changer option? Where would that go and what becomes of what would have been a standard single disc in-dash unit? Anybody up on the cost of various options?
  • Looks to me the CD changer (as shown in the pic I posted previously) is a standard for EXL-RES model, it could be a 6 disk DVD/CD changer because there is a DVD sign over the changer, and it has 6 buttons just like the optional CD changer for 2002 Ody as listed on 2002 Ody Accessories.

I have just gone through 2002 Ody Accessories at http://handa-accessories.com/odyelec02.html . The optional CD changer is very different from the RES, six Disk In-Dash CD Changer costs $450 on that website, if you shop around, the Pioneer version (just fits well) costs under $300. This one has no difference from 2001 model.
  • jpcjpc Posts: 10
    Thought it was interesting this morning as I was commuting through Hartford, CT I see a new Mesa Beige EX on a car carrier. There was only a single EX on the car carrier along with a mix of other new cars. As hard as I tried, I could not read the sticker (the EX was on the top level of the carrier.)
    Rather puzzling, this; not one picture of the EXL-RES dash in the brochure.

The inside back cover lists the specifications and features. Under the heading "Interior Features", the LX has "w/4 speakers" in the row entitled "AM/FM Stereo Cassette" while the EX and EXL have "w/6 speakers" in the next row down which is entitled "AM/FM Stereo CD Player" (i.e. no mention of a cassette).

One page shows the entire EX (non-RES) interior and I can see neither a cassette player nor a CD changer. There is, however, an open space directly beneath the stereo, a space which would seem to accomodate a CD changer or cassette player.

The plot thickens............
  • Sorry if this topic has already been dicussed. We are considering getting an Ody soon. Being the frugal minded person that I am, I don't see that it is worth the extra money for the EX. It seems most of that is for the power doors. I could always add keyless entry and tweek the stereo system like some others have. But does anyone feel there are features on the EX that you couldn't be without? And does anyone have any knowledge about this heat rejecting glass on the EX? Thanks for any feedback.
  • There are other features other than power doors.

Keyless Entry
    Honda Alarm System
    am/fm/cd player
    climate control
  • Might be small, but the paint-matched mirrors and handles adds a little something over the LX. Oh, and the alloy wheels. It adds up.

- Darell
  • Look back one or 2 pages to a previous post of mine (approx #3100) called "power sliding doors" - it is right under the giant picture of the beige dashboard. It has my take on the EX / LX debate (I own an EX but with some reservation now...)
  • Many consider me a somewhat frugal person -- not cheap :-) -- whereas I consider myself a value-oriented consumer. We own a 2001 EX and I am very happy that we elected to go with this over the LX. I was leaning toward the LX, however, my wife wanted the EX and a certain person who is now a host of this board and shall go unnamed, assessed my situation and preferences upon my request and recommended highly the EX.

First, here is what I can not believe...perhaps decadent, but I LOVE the power doors and find myself wishing that all the doors would operate automatically. Without experiencing the doors, I could not imagine the delight and value that I now see in using them every time I use the auto for travel with any of my three children who are all under six. Were I in a situation again where I had to chose LX or EX, it would be EX without a heartbeat of hesitation.

I like the look of the alloys and I am very happy that I see them every day; drive difference is subtle with the alloys and not perceivable to most, so I feel this is largely a design issue, but I love the sportier and more sophisticated look of the alloys (but wait, don't barf yet...). Similarly, I like the look of the color matching on the mirrors, handles and body side molding. Could one live without that? Absolutely yes with respect to functionality, however, remember that overall utility and pleasure is also a function of psychological aspects as well, though the degree to which these types of factors play a role is one that you will have to assess for yourself. The auto climate control still doesn't matter much too me, however, my wife prefers it. I would prefer a tape player over the CD, but that is largely a function of the fact that most of our kids prerecorded audio is on cassette tape. I could not live without the remote security system. As far as the glass...I do not know the differences between the LX and EX, however, I will say that our 2001 EX's ability to maintain a cool cabin on 90+ degree days was superior to that of my 1993 Lexus LS400. At the present time, the roof rack setup does not matter to either my wife or I. Finally, the power seat is also very important to me given the difference in seat position preferences between my wife and I. To adjust the seat manually every time I enter the driver seat would drive me up the wall. Once in a while would be ok, however, over the span of the few months that we have owned it and in anticipation of how often I will drive the EX over the next few years, the power seat is a must have for me.

In summary, the doors, the power seat and the appearance differences are worth it to me, a frugal person who also is somewhat of an auto enthusiast. I am most surprised by how much I love the power doors. Good luck with your decision.

• inkyinky Posts: 370
    When did the EX get a security system? My 99 EX did not have one. Is this new for 2002?
    INKY
  • I believe the security system became standard on the EX starting with the 2001 model.