Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Maybe you can trek up to Canada and have it repaired there. May take a lot of time but should still be less than a new tranny. The Canadian Ody is the same as ours save a few bits of equipment. That's why it was imported.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    jdill - I'd have to say it's the extended warranty company trying to wrangle out of it's coverage. Technically, the issue isn't covered by a Honda warranty because your vehicle doesn't qulaify. When you purchased the extended warranty, I presume you had to give the warranty company the VIN number. When they ran it, they should have noticed that it was a gray market vehicle and denied coverage up front. I think you should go after them.

In any case good luck.

As for Honda being willing to take your money for service work - that's the dealer, not Honda. They are independent businesses.
  • Options
    kthankthan Member Posts: 30
    I am seriously thinking to buy a used (either 2003 or 2004 model) Odyssey and have a question about gas mileage. I currently have 2000 Toyota Camry LE V6 and it had really bad gas mileage (12-15 mpg/city... 20 mpg ). I am wondering how Odyssey's actual gas mileage (18/city, 25/highway) is. I know gas mileage is very subjective depending on various factors. But, I just want to confirm that it would not make another deception in gas mileage, just like the toyota camry case.

Thank you for your help and advice in advance.
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    I have had a 2000, 2002 and now a 2004 ODY. Have always gotten 20-27 MPG with all of them, but I do mostly highway driving. The 2004 is a bit less than the other two, but I guess you have to feed the extra horses a bit whether you use them or not.
  • Options
    tylerwm94tylerwm94 Member Posts: 26
    I have an 03 Odyssey. I don't always calculate mileage every time I fill up, but when I have, it has always been between 18 and 25 MPG so I'd say that is pretty accurate.
  • Options
    grandtotalgrandtotal Member Posts: 1,207
    If you got bad mileage with a V6 Camry (assuming it did not have a problem) then you are going to get bad mileage from an Odyssey too. There is something about either your driving style or circumstances which causes high fuel consumption and any vehicle will not reach it's EPA figures under such circumstances.
  • Options
    ncmomncmom Member Posts: 22
    We are trying to decide between the Pilot and the Odyssey. Could any Odyssey 2005 owners help me out? Here's the questions I have:

- Can the Odyssey take some off-road driving? It would be about 1/4 mile each weekday, nothing bumpier than half curb height.
    - How about ground clearance when pulling out of a steep driveway nose first (our Saturn scrapes it's nose)?
    - How well can three older kids fit in the second row?

Thanks!
  • Options
    swb9swb9 Member Posts: 5
    ...but I'm getting a little nervous after having read of the problems that forum members have been having with the transmissions and other parts of the 2002s. Should I stay away from the '02s completely? The new 05s & 06s are out of our price range. I know this is an Odyssey forum, and that Honda has a great amount of brand loyalty among its customers (of which I am one), but should I perhaps look at other minivans like the Town & Country? If I stick with Honda, which I would prefer to do, any years/models I should stay away from? :confuse:

I'm brand new to this forum, which I'm excited to have discovered, but have no knowledge of minivans or brands, aside from what I've read concerning Oddys, Siennas and T&C, so I would really appreciate any and all comments/thoughts/suggestions/advice! :)
  • Options
    dsrtrat2dsrtrat2 Member Posts: 223
    If you get an Odyssey find one with a Honda Care warranty of 100K. Honda dealers will usually have them as certified used and that usually takes you to 100K. If you can find a low mileage one then you don't have to worry for awhile. I think Dodge or Chrysler could be had used for a lot less money and if you could get a 100K warranty on them you could save a lot of money.
  • Options
    jilldennjilldenn Member Posts: 1
    I got a 2001 EX with about 94,000 miles on it. If you are still in the market for one check our ebay, I'm currently trying to sell it.
  • Options
    swb9swb9 Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I bought an immaculate '02 EX with 19,000 miles on it for $18,200 yesterday. Using the information found on here about the transmission issues and warranty issues concerning Canadian v. US models, I was able to ask intelligent questions and get answers which assuaged my fears. Thank you again for all of your help! :)
  • Options
    psinfoampsinfoam Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 odyssey and get 16mpg city and 25-28 mpg on hiway.
    great car.
  • Options
    kaziiikaziii Member Posts: 2
    Dear Viking 828,
    Did you ever buy your boat? I own a 2002 odyssey and am looking to purchase a boat with combined 3,500 boat and trailer weight. Wondering if anyone has done this. Also, the trailer has 4 wheels, don't know if this makes a difference. It is very hard to get good info on this.
    Thanks,
    Kaziii
  • Options
    bfkbfk Member Posts: 5
    I am thinking of buying a 2000 Odyssey with 130,000 km. The transmission has been replaced in 2002. What is the chance for the transmission to fail again?

If it does fail again before 160,000 km is it still under warrantee?
  • Options
    vgervger Member Posts: 30
    Don't buy it... my Honda Odyssey 2000 had its trans go out at 90,000+. The second one from Honda Dealer only lasted 29,000. From my dealings, I found out '99-03 have defective transmission BY DESIGN. So even rebuilt are very bad. I found on the web that there are some who are on their third and forth transmission. Honda offered to pay 50/50 which came to $1500+ from my pocket. Even though I paid $1000 for an extended warranty up to 100,000 they charged it to their "Recall". Honda knows of this defect but buyer beware... they expect us to pay because we bought it, and own it... it is totally unethical. No more Hondas!
  • Options
    mommobile1mommobile1 Member Posts: 1
    I just had to have the 6th seat belt replaced yesterday. The middle row seats have each been replaced 3 times due to a "lazy retractor" - - the seats belts will not retract. Of course this is the row of seats my kids sit in. The dealer is at a loss as to the problem and escalated to Honda America in June (when belt #5 was replaced) No response from them yet . . . I do not feel comfortable sitting my kids in these seats any longer - - - making my mini van's best features unusable. . . Any ideas on how to get Honda's attention about this clear safety issue?
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, mommobile1,

One thing you might want to do is file a report with the NHTSA. Click the link to go to the complaint form:

Report a Possible Defect with Your Vehicle or Child Restraint

Hope this helps :-)

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    As an owner of a 2002, I would recommend staying away from the FIRST 2002s built (say, August 2001-February 2002) because it seems that mine (built December 2001) has more problems than my friend's 2002 (built March 2002) which was flawless.
    I had a new tranny in at 70K, and then a new electrical wire at 82K because some furry friend chewed through the wires somewhere. My van has 83,000 miles right now.

Then again amongst the 2002s, its probably luck. Mine was probably done on a Friday afternoon, when the QC guys were in a rush to get out of the factory and my friend's Ody was probably built on a Monday afternoon, so the QC guys weren't in so much of a rush to get out.

Look for a certified pre owned one. They have the Honda Certified warranty up to 100K I think, and they should have passed a factory inspection.

Welcome to Edmunds' Town Hall. :D
  • Options
    sdaniel105sdaniel105 Member Posts: 10
    FYI. There is a transmission filter that is replaceable on 02-04 Odysseys. See the following link for some detailed info on the location and content of the filter after 90K. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28594

I have tried and tried to get an answer from my local Honda dealer as well as customer service as to when to change. My local service manager says 50K. He says Honda does not want to say this because they want to stick to the 100K first service. If you see what they found in it at 90K you probably don't want to wait.

Call your dealer before you just show up to have it changed. The parts dept said there wasn't one until I showed them the filter on their computer.

Sean
  • Options
    FYI. There is a transmission filter that is replaceable on 02-04 Odysseys. See the following link for some detailed info on the location and content of the filter after 90K. http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28594

I have tried and tried to get an answer from my local Honda dealer as well as customer service as to when to change. My local service manager says 50K. He says Honda does not want to say this because they want to stick to the 100K first service. If you see what they found in it at 90K you probably don't want to wait.

Call your dealer before you just show up to have it changed. The parts dept said there wasn't one until I showed them the filter on their computer.

Sean
  • Options
    I was getting mileage similar or worse than you. When I turned on the AC compressor my mileage went up considerably. Dealer evacuated AC system and checked valve clearance (suggested by Honda Techline) and now mileage is pretty close to EPA ratings.

Push your dealer to check some things. They will. They also found an O2 sensor that was slightly out of range.

Good Luck!
    Sean
  • Options
    steelerfan786steelerfan786 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I Have a 2000 Odyssey LX with 78k Check Engine Light says "Catalyst efficiency below threshold". I had the code read today @ AutoZone. Does Anyone know If there is a recall on this, because i was reading some reviews and i noticed that some people had that done under recall. So Please Any information on this would be Very Helpful. Thanks :)
  • Options
    Get yourself to the dealership. The emissions system warranty is 6 yr/100K miles IIRC.
  • Options
    99oddity99oddity Member Posts: 6
    I have a 99 Oddity w 133,000 miles. I recently encountered problems with EGR valve and Cam? Since my dealer repaired these items I am now getting CEL code saying replace Catalytic Converter at an estimated cost of $1200. Do anyone have any experience with this? I am continuing to drive for now, ignoring the CEL. Will this harm my vehicle, or the planet? Are there used Catalytic converters available? Is it time to trade in for new vehicle?
  • Options
    if you are getting a code for a converter, it is actually pretty inexpensive @ Autozone. Believe or not it is a direct fit with a limited lifetime warranty for like $108. :) You shouldn't ignore the check engine light because it can acutally damage your engine in the long run. As far trading it in it is upto you! I bought my 2000 LX in August with 74k pretty happy with it. The code came up for converter which has warranty to 8/80. I have an appointment with dealer next week wish me good luck. How does your's run? :) let me know
  • Options
    99oddity99oddity Member Posts: 6
    As of this morning the CEL light is out. I did not do anything to reset. Overall I have been very pleased with my Oddity. Other than brakes and tires, struts and such I have not needed many repairs until now. I did replace the pass sliding door latch ( Dealer repair at @ $325.00 parts and labor.) Six years and 133,000 miles so far. I think I will be keeping the van for now.

I believe your converter should be covered till 100,000 miles. It is a federally mandated item.
  • Options
    My CEL came on today i'm glad that it did, because I reset it. I had the code read and still the same code " Catalyst efficiency below threshold." I have an appointment with dealer next week it is covered under warranty. The dealer tried to give me a run around over the phone, that it might be an O2 sensor etc. If it is anything other than a converter, I'll say thanks for your time. :(
  • Options
    kimo9kimo9 Member Posts: 71
    I have an '04 Odyssey with stock wheels. Just yesterday I had Honda replace the stock tires (Potenza) with SLE COOPER Touring. Upon arriving at home it seemed the tires were low so I got my gauge. 29 psi after driving an hour. I called Honda and he said that Honda recommends 30 psi. In the Honda manual it says 36 psi.

So, is the dealership just wrong? Or is that psi specific to that tire? Still 30 psi seems low. Thanks for any assistance. :confuse:
  • Options
    Even with new tires, follow the recommendation of the vehicle manufacturer.
  • Options
    I'm wondering what that would be? Is it what's published in the manual?

Or

What the dealership says?
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Max tire pressure is printed on the tire sidewall itself - I believe that it is usually 45psi cold.

Ody recommends 35psi cold. A lower pressure would give you a softer ride at the expense of fuel economy due to increased rolling resistance. A higher pressure, but less than max tire pressure, would give better MPG, rougher ride due to lower rolling resistance.

The PSI choice is personal.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Michelin Symmetrys, (I bought another set of Symmetrys) have a MAX of 35 PSI for some reason, and the Odyssey recommends 36, so I just keep it at 35.
  • Options
    5yroldhonda5yroldhonda Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    5yroldhonda5yroldhonda Member Posts: 2
    Any one replace their Catalytic converter with an aftermarket converter. Any issues such as function, fitment. My Odyssey has almost 100K on odo. Dealer cost is $800 plus labor. Aftermarket converters much less. TIA
  • Options
    irlhondairlhonda Member Posts: 4
    My CEL indicates a catalytic converter problem. My mechanic indicates it is really a converter problem and not a sensor or related issue.

With the very high cost of the repair (about $1000), has anyone done this themselves? Can you comment on the difficulty of this and what is required? I am fairly handy but not a trained mechanic.

Thanks!
  • Options
    I have a 2004 Odyssey and I noticed on the last page of the owners manual that it says (paraphrase) that the warranty is 3/36 but that any state ordinances would supercede this warranty.

I did find some law that says any purchased new in the state of Maine should last, under normal use, for 4 years from the date of purchase. In mentioning motor vehicles specifically....it says that mileage isn't an issue as long as it is considered normal use.

Any one heard of this? Here is the link:

http://www.maine.gov/ag/index.php?r=clg&s=chap4

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    It states that the defect has to be serious. If the transmission went at 37K miles, you have a case. If it goes at 137K, I doubt it.
  • Options
    jfesmirejfesmire Member Posts: 3
    For my 1999 Honda Odyssey I replaced the catalytic converter with an aftermarket unit for about $120. It was fairly easy and the fit-up was perfect. The van now runs great but the check engine light stays on (same code as catalytic converter problem). I have reset it a couple of times but it comes back on eventually. Honda shop recommended I do this to save $$$ but they can offer no help in clearing the check engine light. I wonder what to do now?
  • Options
    After being on for a month, my CEL light has now gone off without any repairs. Perhaps a sensor has gone bad?
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Oxygen sensor is the likely culprit...
    There may be other sensors, related to pollution controls, to look at as well.
  • Options
    edgetaedgeta Member Posts: 32
    Well, they had to do it. 64K miles and they had to replace transmission. Lucky I had the HOnda Care Warrenty, they said what was wrong was not covered by the regular warrenty extension. Interesting, now the "new transmission" has a "whine", kind of like a quiet jet engine. Otherwise has been a good car, but time for a new one.
    Now looking for a 2006 EXL-RES
  • Options
    bwearbwear Member Posts: 1
    I replaced my catalytic converter and oxygen sensors on our 2000 odyssey last year. Problem has returned one year and 30,000 miles later. Is it possible? What am I doing wrong? And of course, it's up for inspection and can't pass without the CEL turned off. Any help?
  • Options
    yblybl Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Odyssey and the "check engine light" had just came on last week. I borrowed an instrument(don't know the name of the unit but it was from autozone) to diagnose the problem but I need to hook this small unit to the "diagnostic" plug. Can anyone post a picture or send me a picture to tell me (yenbouliu@hotmail.com) where this plug located? Thanks for any response.
  • Options
    tolfreetolfree Member Posts: 1
    This is scary. We just bought a 2001 Odyssey, which is Honda certified, on the stipulation that they replace the catalytic converter. And they are replacing it next week.

I notice that there are a lot of problems with the catalytic converter dieing in the Odyssey. Has anyone found out what the culprit of this problem actually is? I was thinking that it would be the oxygen sensor, but bwear, you make me think otherwise. I certainly don't want to be out $1000 in a year by guessing incorrectly.

Also, what is an EGR valve?
  • Options
    odysseyaccordodysseyaccord Member Posts: 24
    EGR: Exhaust Gas Recirculation.

A fraction of the exhaust is mixed into the input manifold--a technique used to reduce carbon monoxide. The valve regulates the flow, depending on engine conditions. I think the valve closes at low rpms and opens at high...

'03 Ody EX
  • Options
    Catalytic converters for the Honda Odyssey are now available in aftermarket ($120) and OEM ($350) versions by shopping online. I installed the aftermarket one and it was quite easy (the OEM wasn't available at the time, other than through the dealer for about $750). I am now considering putting in a new OEM one myself because the check engine light is on with the usual code message that it is bad. The engine seems to run very well, however, even with the aftermarket unit? Any suggestions, anyone?
  • Options
    Has anyone had any success with fuel system treatments? Replaced catalytic converter on my 1999 Honda with an aftermarket unit. Now, 18 months later, the check engine light code says the catalytic converter is bad. Is it possible for any fuel system treatment to fix this situation?
  • Options
    After another month or so, it is back on again. I have read some messages from owners who have replaced the converter, only to find the CEL coming on again relatively soon. Has anyone figured out the real problem?
  • Options
    I believe the plug you are looking for is by the inside fuse box, under the dash on the driver's side. Just match the shapes of the connectors.
  • Options
    jsb16jsb16 Member Posts: 64
    Has anyone installed a satellite radio receiver with a direct connect into the 99 Ody radio? I know that many of these units have a wireless FM transmitter but the sound on the factory stereo is marginal at best and I don't want to further degrade the sound. A local installer told me that there was no RCA input and you had to use a proprietary wiring harness. His books only showed this available for the 2003+ model years. I would like to do a reasonably priced installation especially since there is a limit to what I'll spend for a stereo upgrade on a 7 year old car.