Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    Drew-

Honda may prove me wrong, but I think marketing is the key. Why add conventional side air bags to a vehicle which has a 5-star side impact rating, especially when competitors (Saturn, VW, Chrysler [Stratus, Sebring], most luxury makes) are already introducing head/chest and curtain-style side airbags? Incidentally, I did not mean to imply that these airbags are a good substitute for seatbelts or a good structure. Head and curtain-style airbags are not only for rollover protection, they also protect the head in more typical side impacts. Curtains also typically stay inflated longer, which can help if the car does proceed to roll or have a secondary impact. In any case, side impacts with taller vehicles like pickups often require head protection to prevent death. See http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2000/pr121400.htm or http://www.hwysafety.org/srpdfs/sr3601.pdf

Thanks for the new rollover ratings. A different rating was released last year and can be found at http://www.usatoday.com/money/consumer/autos/mauto695.htm

As for mileage, if you live in cold-weather, you have many factors to consider. These include longer warmups, longer idling time in worse traffic, reformulated gas, operation of the A/C (automatically comes on with defroster), cold temps, snow/slush on road, etc. See the chart at the end of this link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/rfgecon.htm

Best to give your van until spring to get a good idea of fuel economy. Plus, any break-in effects should be leveling off by then as well.
    Both the SSF and Kimmel Index numbers are rollover probabilities, as timothydavis said. Consumers Union advocates an actual test to be done, and has been lobbying the NHTSA for just such a rating. These probabilites also don't account for the effects of safety features like stability control. While the probability to roll is important, what happens after the roll is also important. A well designed roof and safety cage, curtain-style airbags and other features may help prevent injury after a roll. Hopefully, we'll see real testing in the not too distant future.
  • drb9drb9 Member Posts: 6
    dmathews3:
    What's your basis for the fire hazard claim about cloth seats? It seems to me that, regardless of whether the seat is covered with leather or cloth, the seat heater goes on top of foam, which could present the same hazard. Plus, my Saab (with cloth seats) came with seat heaters.

At the same time, seat heaters that you plug into cigarette lighters and put on top of the seats have disappeared from the stores, for some unknown reason.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    This is just what the installed told me. He said that the leather is ticker and that more heat is required to get through the leather and would be to hot for cloth. The bottom of the one he showed me and a foil like material that I would guess would keep the heat from going down into the foam. It made sense to me as we had a Caddy with heated seats and I never thought it got that hot in my jeans until the first time I used it in thin dress pants. I thought it was going to burn my buns. As far as you having them in a car with cloth seats maybe the manufacturer had them made special for cloth seats. I know of no other vehicle that has heated seats with cloth.
  • hswartzhswartz Member Posts: 1
    I've put 37000 miles on my Odyssey LX in only 10 months, and it's been by far the best vehicle I've owned. I've put it to extreme use with heavy towing and many trips all year. Due to the use, I bought the 100000 mile warranty. I bought the Ody from Rainbow Honda in Ritcheyville, PA, and found them to be fair and technically competent (my second car from them).

I checked out this van thoroughly before buying, test driving it three times, and compared closely to other vans. The Honda quality is all through this vehicle. BTW, this is my 4th Honda, and I hold them a long time.

See my comments in carreview.com about towing- I've put 7000 miles on the Odyssey towing a 19 foot Airstream Bambi travel trailer, and have had outstanding experience. This trailer loads to over 4500 lbs (1000 lbs in excess of Honda recommendation limit) and has 500 lbs tongue weight, but with Airlift suspension in rear the Odyssey handles perfectly. I have a class-3 hitch and transmission cooler installed, I change oil every 3000 miles, and change trans fluid every 3000 miles when towing.

Mileage WITH the trailer averages 12.5 mpg over the 7000 miles towing. Mileage without trailer averages 24.4 mpg for the other 30000 miles. I do lots of highway driving and upgraded tires to Goodyear Weatherhandler 205-60R16 for the extra sidewall strength.

Have had excellent maintenance service from Honda VIllage(Greensburg PA) and Hyannis Honda (Hyannis MA). Broke three rear exterior door handles, due to sticking gaskets, (all fixed in warranty) but otherwise no problems to speak of. I'm a big person and the front seat is great for those long trips. Handling and driveability is excellent in all weather conditions.

Lots of pickup and go when needed- I just pulled this trailer on I-80 and I81 for 2500 miles last month in the winter, and was doing 70mph passing tractor-trailers uphill. The Acura engine with the 4-speed transmission is robust and reliable, with smooth shifts and consistent performance.
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    actually, they have heated seats for cloth in the volvo's. my sister-in-law has an S40 with heated seats in cloth. they really work well in the chicago winter.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    My 1976 Saab had heated cloth seats. Any time the temperature dipped below about 50 degrees F., the thing would heat your buns up to a comfy 85 degrees or so. Not too hot. Not too cold. Just riiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhtttttt. Should I be foolish enough to move to a generally cold climate again, I wouldn't be without heated seats in my vehicles....
  • phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Wanna talk about a neat feature, by Dad's BMW 740 iL has a heated steering wheel. You press a small button on the wheel and within a few seconds it is nice and toasty. I thought this was the stupidest feature I'd ever heard of until I tried it on a cool day...you'll want one.
  • alexmishalexmish Member Posts: 47
    I had the same problem with squeacking inside door handle on driver's side. Came out to be not-lubricated parts - my dealer took care of it, it is quiet now.

As for mileage and fuel gauge - I have exactly the same complaints. I've been reading these postings for the past 2 months, seen similar complaints, but not a single positive resolution.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Most of the makes that your mentioned (VW, MB, BMW, etc.) have curtain airbags in addition to side impact airbags. I agree, curtain airbags only protect the occupant's head/neck (not chest), whereas the side impact airbags protect the thorax. This is what I mean (this is the picture of the '01 MB C-class):

However, just about all manufacturer's curtain style airbags do not deploy in rollovers. Only Ford's (for now) will for their '02 Explorer. As mentioned earlier, this is a late avaliability option as the rollover sensor needs to be integrated and connected to the curtain airbags. Till then, the curtain bags will only deploy in a side impact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I hope they add BOTH the normal side impact airbags and curtain style airbags. Not just the latter. If not for marketing, at least for safety. Honda/Acura currently doesn't offer curtain style airbags, so I'm going to guess that they're going to offer the normal side impact airbags first, before the curtain ones.

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I guess we're on the same page. My intention was to say that I hope they add BOTH the normal side impact AND curtain style airbags, and not just the former:-) Most manufacturers who have the curtain head bags also have the thorax bags (Saturn is an exception I think).

Consumer Reports and Volvo have some additional comments about the benefits of curtain style bags with regard to ejections, secondary impacts and rollover.

The Ford system will be a nice step if effective. Delphi is also developing such a system, but I don't know who will be using it (Presumably GM). I suspect this will be pretty common for all manufacturers as rollovers gain more press.
  • lively27lively27 Member Posts: 1
    I am dangerously close to buying a 2001 Odyssey. How does it handle in snow compared to a 4 wheel drive vehicle?

Any other general complaints about this mini van?

Thanks!
    W.
    Our Odyssey rates GOOD in the snow. It's a 2001 LX with traction control and Michelin Symmetry tires. As good or better than any other front wheel drive car we've had. We've had 30" so far, with loose, packed and ice. The TCS operates a lot, but the car always accelerates, sometimes slowly.

Our Outback rates EXCELLENT. It's a 2000 auto with AWD and Limited Slip rear differential and Firestone Wilderness (HT H-rated passenger car) tires. It's really point and go.

If you need a van with AWD, you can get the Chrysler cans or some of the smaller cargo vans. I believe the GM vans will get versatrak AWD next year, and the Windstar will get AWD the year after according the BlueOvalNews...
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    My Odyssey handles well in the snow. All posts regarding 4WD vs Ody favor the 4WD. It really depends upon what you need. We have good friends who live on a steep hill, ended up with Acura MDX - still has benefit of 7 seater, but at over $30K and does not have the family convenience or space of the minivan arrangement. Do not expect TCS to get you up a big snow/ice covered hill. It will help you accelerate on slick surface or perhaps help on a smaller, slightly slippery hill.

I would say most complaints are w/ EX power door probs. I have one of the problems. Dealer and American Honda have been trying to get it fixed, and have been genuinely helpful - doubt it is anything serious but it is pesky. I am bringing in the van later this month. That is life w/ power sliders - my sister has power slider problems in a Windstar and good friends have problems in their GM (Montana) van.

The EX has many cool features like auto climate control, steering wheel radio controls, auto-off headlamps, remote door unlock/slider opener, etc. Prior to '01 only could get TCS on EX, but now since also on LX, makes this model viable option in snow lands if you can skip the cool stuff along with the power sliders.

Spending some time perusing this topic from post #1, if you have not it yet, would be time well spent. This forum is informative, though sometimes tangential.

Good luck. Do not pay over MSRP. Buy from a dealer you trust. I did, and it was really helpful for me when the doors started beeping for no good reason. Genuinely concerned salesman has been a major resource in dealing w/ the service dept on the door problem.
  • ginny8ginny8 Member Posts: 1
    We have had our 2001 Odyssey for about three weeks and while the manual says that the fuel tank capacity is 20 gallons, it does not seem that it holds this much fuel. At my last filling, I drove the van until the low fuel light came on (and then some) but it only took 14 gallons to fill the tank. By all indications, we are only getting approximately 230 miles of in-town driving out of a tank of gas before it is time to fill up again. However, it appears that fuel economy is in an acceptable range at just under 17 mpg during the cold weather and break in period. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • cebrencebren Member Posts: 7
    We recently drove over ice-covered Vail Pass on
    I-70 west of Denver in our Odyssey. We saw four or five accidents and several cars that had gone off the road. We have the standard Michelin tires on our 2000 Odyssey and had no problems, using 3rd gear and driving about 25 mph. I feel as comfortable in our Odyssey as when using four-wheel drive in our Jeep. But I think the main factor is to SLOW down. Based on 25 years' experience with Jeeps, four-wheel drive does not seem to help much when braking, even with snow tires. Many/most people drive vehicles with four-wheel drive like idiots on slick roads!
  • geb1geb1 Member Posts: 19
    I just returned from the Consumer Electronics Show (CRS) in as degas. The flight home had a stop-over in Columbus OH, Honda US Q. Like most of the folks on the plane, the lovely woman sitting next to me had also been to CRS. We started to chat and when I asked what she was doing there, she said that she worked for Honda and was out to investigate the new developments in car audio.
    She said that upgrades are in the works for the Odyssey in particular - more power and better speakers to fill the large interior and also factory rear entertainment systems (VHS and DAD). Help is on the way!! Might be worth the wait for the improved sound.
  • lisahhhlisahhh Member Posts: 22
    The fuel tank is 20 gallons. The low fuel light seems to come on with about 4 or so gallons left in the tank. It's interesting that for me, the light came on later when I first bought my van. After time, it seems that it comes on sooner. But many people have mentioned here that it comes on too soon. And I agree.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    Even though the NHTSA didn't actually roll an Odyssey to verify its probability rating, the 4-star score is probably as high a rating as you're going to see for a minivan, given their slightly higher center of gravity. Once again, Honda R&D is to be commended for engineering one of the safest minivans on the market. As crash testing often shows, size alone does not make a vehicle safe. It seems there are still a lot of SUV buyers out there (the BMW X5 excluded) who feel otherwise.
  • mojo66mojo66 Member Posts: 83
    ......didn't mean to lump you folks in with the other SUV's. Not only did M-B not wait for the NHTSA to roll it over, it showed everybody watching a TV just how well in can engineer an SUV.
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    Thanks for the rollover information Steve. Even though they did not actually rollover an Odyssey I think it is a pretty good bet that it would do well in this department.

Thank you geb1 for the inside information on the 2002 Odyssey. It makes sense that they would increase the horsepower, as Chrysler is comming out with their 3.5 engine, which will have more horsepower then the current Odyssey. Also a number of people on this board have asked for a better sound system.

If the low fuel light comes on at four gallons I would think that is OK. That would say their is about enough gas to get you 64 to 80 miles depending on your load. If you are on a trip and in a place were the gas stations are far between, I don't think you would want to cut it closer. Also gives you time to run a number of errands,if you are in a hurry and then go to the gas station when you are finished. Maybe they should have a one gallon light also for those who like to cut it close. :)
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    I have a customer that told me yesterday that he read somewhere that the Ody has the capacity for going to 8 passengers. I dont remember seeing anything about an 8 passenger converison.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?
  • billg7billg7 Member Posts: 342
    I remember, if my memory is accurate, reading several posts on this board that said that the second seat back, (middle seat), use to be available as a 3 passenger bench seat on the Odyssey, but because of lack of demand it was no longer available.
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    What kind of tires are on the Odyssey EX?

Thanks
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    Sorry I forgot to post the year of the odyssey I was inquiring about...I was asking about the new 2001 odssey EX

Thanks
  • mariaumariau Member Posts: 4
    Hard to believe but I've worn out my original Firestones and am currently looking for replacement tires for my 99 Odyssey. (Sliding off the road into a snow bank was the inspiration for this decision). Any suggestions for all-season tires? (I'm reluctant to spring for snow tires given global warming and all).
    Thanks for any advice...
    Maria
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The EX has Michelin Symmetry P215/65 R16.

mariau - Try www.tirerack.com. You input your vehicle information and they come back with a number of tires which will fit it. You should be sure that the tires available are weight rated for the Ody.

I did get snow tires for my Y2K Ody. Since we are shuttling 2 little ones now, it seemed worth the $500 for tires and rims to ensure a little more safety. Thus far the Michelin Arctic Alpins have been great for the 3 snow falls we have had thus far.
  • exindenverexindenver Member Posts: 32
    The mileage I'm getting with my '00EX (4/00) with 9700 miles is 19 to 20 mpg mix driving and ~24 mpg highway. The mix mileage hasn't really changed from when it was new. Highway mileage is from a recent trip from Denver to S.F. on I80 avg. 80 mph. I would think there is something wrong with the van or driving style if your mileage does not improve from 14 mpg. You've already noted proper tire pressure. I'm assuming you have used different gas stations. Since their pumps are not always accurate. There was one fill-up in Evanston (going west), which averaged 18 mpg when the rest of the trip was ~24.

There is a technical service bulletin SB608017 which indicate that the low fuel light is designed to come on around 1/4 tank.

I think the washers are okay. It is the wipers that do not do a good job since when I clean my windshield while driving, I'll get washer fluid on my front, side and back windows but the passenger side windshield just doesn't get clean.

I agree it is the Michelin Symmetry tires (P215/65 R16 for '01 and '00 EX models) over concrete roads that are making the noise. Since when driven over asphalt, there is no tire noise and the van is very quite. The asphalt may be absorbing some of the road noise but there is a big difference. Also the tires will sing different tunes over different types of concrete roads.
    I confused the posts on the mileage. You weren't the one getting 14 mpg. I am surprised at the number of complaints about low mileage though.
  • cnybrocnybro Member Posts: 29
    You may want to consider Bridgestone Potenza RE910's. Very impressive wet performance. It's not a snow tire, but you said you didn't want one. I have these on my Taurus and love them. I think I will put them on my Odyssey when those terrible Firestones wear out (or separate :>o).
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/bridgestone/bs_re910.htm
  • alysaalysa Member Posts: 5
    I think of my husband as a handy guy, and I see I could purchase the keyless entry kit for around $170, instead of for the $400 my dealer will charge to install it before delivery. Has anyone done the installation themselves? How difficult is it?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You're forgiven ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    I recently replaced the Firestone Affinity tires that came on my 99EX at 67,000 miles. I had absolutely no problems with them, and they were never rebalanced. They didn't need it.

Since I don't much care for Firestone (in spite of the good service from this set), I replaced them with 235/60-16 (not factory size, btw) Michelin Symmetry tires. The ride is much improved!

I drove them through Western Michigan's lake effect snow belt right after Christmas and they handled exceptionally well in the snow. (They had 70+ inches in December.)

In considering replacement tires, you might want to look at the treadwear/life of the tires. The Ody is a very heavy vehicle, and those with low treadwear/life ratings will probably wear out quickly; and a performance tire is not really needed on this van.
    Does the +1 size Symmetry fit well in the wheel well? Is there room for cable chains and still get stop to stop turning? I was also wondering if you've noticed any road noise over concrete like with the factory size Symmetry. Not that you'd had those to compare to since you had the Firestone but it appears you spend a lot of time driving and may have an opinion on road noise.

Thanks.
    If you compare the numbers, it's down one number in aspect ration (i.e. wider) and up two levels in size. It accounts for about 0.3" or 0.4% increase in the rolling distance of the tire, which helps to make up(but not much) for the 5% low error on my speedometer.

They fit the wheel wells well. It looks like they should be enough room for the cable type "chains", but I can't say for sure. I've cornered these tires hard on occasion, and there's never been any rubbing.

As to road noise, they're quieter than the Firestones; and the ride is a fair bit firmer. I like 'em!
  • rlam1rlam1 Member Posts: 6
    For everyone that is getting poor gas mileage, are you getting gas at the same place? If so, you may want to get gas some place else and check if you get better mileage. There are a few dishonest gas station out there that will charge you for more gas than what really goes in the tank.
  • lexsarlexsar Member Posts: 14
    Billg7; I believe that that second row bench seat was only a two passenger seat, not three.

"I remember, if my memory is accurate, reading several posts on this board that said that the second seat back, (middle seat), use to be available as a 3 passenger bench seat on the Odyssey, but because of lack of demand it was no longer available."
  • caddprocaddpro Member Posts: 20
    I would like to know if anybody got a good deal on their Odyssy. I just came from the dealer in Woodstock, Ga and they actually said with a straight face that they want 3,000 OVER MSRP. Is this for real? I was expecting more like 3,000 Under. They seem like solid vehicle but the fabric on the EX seems cheap and no leather is available.
  • minimanminiman Member Posts: 85
    There have been several flurries of discussion on this in the past. HEre is my experience:
    In 1999 when I began looking, an Internet site listed an 8 pass configuration - the LX-B. This contained middle row bench seat. Despite really wanting the gadgets of the EX, I consented to order the LX-B due to the practicality of the additional passenger capacity. When I went to dealers summer '99 this LX-B was a piece of Odyssey history (along with the dark blue color soon after) apparently due to lack of demand.

My personal thought is that the utility of 8 seats is important. I have been hoping Honda or some after market producer would sell a 3 seater middle row that latches on to the existing capt'n chair anchors. GM vans seat 8 - anyone at Honda listening?
    The Honda dealer in Marietta will sell at MSRP and won't "pack" it, but you'll have to wait. Don't bother with Gwinnett Place Honda. They sell at MSRP, but pack it heavily to jack up the cost. Besides, their service sucks!
  • ckgregoireckgregoire Member Posts: 9
    I am moving to San Diego, CA, and looking for a good Honda Service Department. Don't care about sales department, have two newer Honda's, no intent to buy for a while. Any recommendations?
  • 2001ody2001ody Member Posts: 17
    2001 LX, when in park I hit the brake and I can hear a clicking noise in the dash - near the gear selector. I assume this is the shift lock mechanism. Can these things get loose and then not work at all, thus preventing the shift out of park? The noise does not happen once out of park. Any comments would be helpful.
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    yup, it's true. btw, i have the RE910s on my accord...i like them alot
  • billyackbillyack Member Posts: 1
    The automatic doors seem to be a potential nuisance for 2 reasons.

1. What if you start to shut the door and notice a kid's leg is there. Do you have time to look for your key and try to shut it? I doubt it. Can you stop the door from shutting or will it stop when it hits an object like a garage door? I'm concerned!!!

2. What it the automatic feature breaks. Can you still shut the door manually?

Please help
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The sliders will sense an obstruction and will reverse. It works only in the last 12" of door travel. Some people find it is not sensitive enough. I have tried it with my arm and leg and find it does not injure. The door slides fairly slowly - I've never timed it but it seems to take about 5 seconds to close. Seems like forever when you are standing there. Best thing to do is to try it out yourself. One thing if you decide on the EX -teach your kids from day 1 - stay away from the door, don't play in any car, etc.

If the door motors malfunction, you can still open and close the doors by hand. It's not easy because you must overcome the resistance of the motor, but it can be done. I've only had to do it once.

Best of Luck
  • bjornbbjornb Member Posts: 2
    Just replaced the Firestone Affinities on my '99 LX at 33K miles. Looked around a lot and got suggestions from a friend who is in the business. This is an interesting tire since it has a UTQG rating of 460, the highest I have ever seen on an H-rated tire (temp A, traction A). Nitto uses a 12/32" tread depth as opposed to most other manufacturers 10-11/32.
    The 225/60X16 size has the same rolling radius as the stock 215/65X16, just a wee bit more meat on the ground.
    The price (www.discounttiredirect.com)isn't bad either!

Nitto NT 460 Premium High speed touring all-season
    P225/60R-16 97H UTQG: 460AA $59:00
  • dodger4dodger4 Member Posts: 3
    We are looking at purchasing a 01 Ex. We are curious about the navigation system and the pro's and con's to it. Also wondered if anyone knew if it is going to be possible to update the navigation system in a few years, when it may be necessary. Don't want to purchase it and find out it is worthless in 2-3 years! The salesman was not very clear when we asked that question. We are going to be moving from Jax, FL to Monterey, CA this summer and that is the big reason that we are trying to purchase a minivan. Thanks for any help in advance.
  • auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    You can also stop the doors by pressing the door switch, key fob or the door handle.Try it out so that you are familiar with it.
  • jbsherrodjbsherrod Member Posts: 3
    What have people been paying to have leather seats installed in Odysseys in Texas? Dealer or private company?
  • diymandiyman Member Posts: 11
    I've been lurking for a few weeks now trying to learn AMAP before posing any questions, but I haven't seen this addressed.

My dealer, who in my book has a good reputation and very good service dept. based on my '94 Accord experience, not only can get me an Odyssey in less than a month, they actually have a few of them on the lot. They get them from Canada, built for Canada, and they switch out the speedometer to US/non-metric at no extra charge - they stick to MSRP.

My question is, are these Odysseys any different in build or features? Are they more rugged or do they have heavier duty components for the tougher weather (for instance I think I remember reading something about a sturdier rear wiper?). Would you expect better built vans from the Canadian assembly line since it has been operating longer the US one? Thanks for any insight.