Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• mschafermschafer Posts: 317
    EdwinFong - I put on Michellin Symmetry tires. I would have prefered the X-One's, but they were not available in the 235/60-16 size.

Stangelj - They have worked out very well, and the ride is far superior. Same size will be used to replace them The tires have about 55,000 miles. The car has 119,000 miles.

Canadaodyowner - The lug nut torques are in the owner's manual. I don't know about the steel rims, but the alloy rims are 80 ft-lbs.

Pmarvin - With the new Honda Warranty Extension on the EGR valve, you might want to see if you can get a refund on the $114.50 you were charged. Also, Air Filter and AC Filter are supposed to be changed every 30,000 miles. ATF every 45,000 miles.
  • According to her husband, they got between 20 and 25 MPG at each refilling when they went on a 2600 mile trip to Vancouver BC via I-84 in Utah and Idaho, I-5 in Washington, Oregon and California and I-80 in Nevada. Meanwhile, our GC SE has AVERAGED 26.0 to 27.5 MPG on 6 different round trips of 1380 miles.
    I test drove their nice 2001 Ody EX after taking their friends to the airport August 2, 2001 when it had 3677 miles on odometer. I immediately drove our 99 GC SE on same drive when our GC SE had 30,809 miles on odometer.
    Results: Could tell very little difference in performance, noise, handling. Our GC w/3.3L V6 is quicker off the line to 25 MPH but the Ody w/3.5L is quicker 60 to 80 MPH. Each has unique, nice features. I would be just as happy with an Odyssey as we are with our GC SE but would get the Ody LX as we do not want power sliding doors or other extra features of Ody EX over Ody LX except for the cast wheels that we also have on our GC SE.
  • Thanks for your advice. I went through my owner's manual from cover to cover and found the wheel nuts torque of 80 ft-lbs mentioned in the "changing a flat tire" section. However, I am still wondering:
    1) does 80 ft-lbs apply to regular wheels as well as the emergency 'donuts'?
    2) 80 ft-lbs sounds kind of low for a big vehicle like ody, I think most mid-size sedans have specs of 80 to 105 ft-lbs.

Recently I bought a good quality 1/2" drive Craftsman torque wrench because I want to perform simple maintenance like tire changeover myself. It appears that last time the dealer's service people torqued my wheel nuts at over 100 ft-lbs! worse than that, I am also convinced that not all nuts were torqued with equal pressure!
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    I think you will find that steel wheels will take about 105 lbs. of torque where an alloy wheel needs less do to the softer metal. My alloys on my Tracker 4X4 only require 75 lbs. Local dealer cranked them to 105 and had to replace one as it cracked. Than again my new motorhome requires 450 lbs. of torque.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    FWIW, I was advised 80 ft-lbs. on both alloy and steel by someone who has the Helm's service manual. Remember that overtorqueing lugs can lead to warped rotors in addition to stressing the rims. Double check with your dealer if you are uncomfortable with that spec.
  • mschafermschafer Posts: 317
    No question that tire dealers rarely bother with the proper torque. I have to remind mine at every rotation to use the 80 ft-lb torque stick in his impact wrench. 80 ft-lbs is more than adequate. I'd sure hate to try breaking any more than that loose somewhere along side of a road using that puny little short handled wrench suplied with the vehicle.

FWIW, the steel wheels on my Gelaendewagen call for 120 ft-lbs of torque, but the optional alloy wheels are considerably less.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    Automotive news lists production and from the latest figures I would not be holding my breath on this helping supply issues. They must really be tooling up slowly. I think total production thru 1 Dec was 353 if I read it right. All these went to SE Honda dealers. Anyone get an American (US) built one yet?
    INKY
  • Bought a 2000 Odyssey EX in Canada 2 years ago. Am a resident of the US and would like to change the HVAC readout to indicate degrees in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius. Does anybody know how to switch? Thank you.
  • edgetaedgeta Posts: 32
    OK, help settle a question. When using the "Keyless" remote to lock the doors, you press it one time and the doors lock, press it again and the horn honks. The question, does it lock the doors and turn the alarm on at the first press or does it lock the doors the first time and then set the alarm the second time you push it?
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 7,601
    It should be the same as my Accord. Hit the remote once and it locks and arms the security system. Further, anytime you lock all the doors with the door button, switch or key, it also arms the system.

The beep and flash with the second push is what I call the "hey idiot, you already did that" sound. I do it all the time just to reassure myself that it really is armed.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Posts: 1,739
    Just push it once and look through the drivers side window and there should be a red light blinking by the speedo. Even though it's not in the owners manual that is your light showing Alarm set.
  • The first time you push the lock button, it locks the doors - and if you leave it, 15 seconds later the alarm system will activate all by itself. I guess if you push the button twice right away, you're probably just skipping the 15 second wait. Try it once, sit inside and lock it with the transmitter, then exit right away - no alarm. But do that after waiting 15 seconds, and you're garage will become an alarm horn echo chamber. Yes, I'm a geek who just had to try this out.

---
    Jason
    '02 Odyssey SS EX
    '99 CR-V Blue EX
  • don96don96 Posts: 5
    Does anyone know how long it is supposed to take to install VES in 2001 ody? Dealer is charging for 5 hours is that reasonable?
  • odd1odd1 Posts: 226
    Fisher-Price has a latch seat out for about a year now. We really like it. The exterior steel bar makes us feel better when we are forced to put it against a door. Just, found out it was CR top choice. Babies"R"Us carries it in my part of the country.
  • Yes, a 5 hour time estimate is very fair. I had one installed along with other accessories, and it actually took about 5 hours to install the VES. If you look at the installation instructions (posted on the Handaccessories.com site)you will see how time consuming the installation process is.
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    OK, folks. When the dealer says a Honda Odyssey has been shipped, how long is the travel time?
    I ask since I finally found one available that has shipped (Red Rock EX). Anyone else have this color. Any opinions on it?
    INKY
  • akin67akin67 Posts: 62
    My dealer told me that my Odyssey is scheduled to be manufactured on 12/11/2001. I live in NJ. How long doe sit take to build and how long to ship? Basically when should I realistically expect to get it.
  • My dealer told me my SS EX-L will be built on Dec.10th and will be arriving around xmas time frame.
  • bburton1bburton1 Posts: 395
    Just read a NYT article which said the plant was now on line several months ahead of schedule to meet demand. The article further stated their annual capacity was 120K Ody's and 120K V6 engines. Thought they were also producing their SUV at this site also. Anybody know. Also what were Oddy sales in the past year-wonder if the Alabama plant will begin to meet demand.
  • Have an 02 Ody EX with 1000 miles on it... spend a lot of time driving between 45 & 50 mph. My RPMs are around 1400-1500 at these speeds, which seems low to me. However, I've been driving a manual for years so perhaps this is normal these days. Mileage is great; my lowest mpg has been 21 (best 27) with mixed driving, so I'm assuming it's geared to run low. Any comments from other 02 owners?

Have the Red Rock color. Really like it, especially on sunny days. Kind of flat on cloudy days though. Also have a subwoofer which improves the sound quite a bit for those not happy with the stock stereo.