Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Need to know what type of BMW some of the late 90's 3's& 5's had a problem with the water pump impellers spining on the water pump shaft,the temp would be ok at idle and driving down the road would over heat and blow the weakest link in the cooling system.This problem acts like a stuck thermostat.The easiest way to detect low water flow is to remove the radiator cap and watch the return coolant flow there should be a steady stream of coolant flow when you raise the rpms up to 2000-2500 rpms at the top of the coolant tank.Most of the BMW's have a bleeder valve, either on the top of the engine or on the top of the radiator,And must be bleed.

jbuchanan
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    If you are referring to the M50/M52 engines the problem was that the plastic impellers would usually disintegrate.
  • Yes,I was referring to the M50 and the M52 engines and you are correct,But the last 5 overheating problems I have had the pleasure to dianose the end result was the plastic impellers were cracked at the shaft causing the system to overheat and blow out the radiator,Just sharing my past experiences.

jbuchanan
    Not doubting you at all.
  • The 90s cars also like to break off the upper hose inlet on the radiator itself. Don't be tugging on upper radiator hoses on one of these cars while it's hot. I did and almost had my face blown off. (I'm not so young anymore but I still move like a cat---YES!) :P
  • 1991 325i conv. leaks bad. need help in finding a good installer in new jersey
    I hate to put this beautiful car in the hands of an unknown who might not do a really good job. please help
    Check out this site. They list several NJ shops.
  • I really hope I can find and answer here..I recently replaced the ECM on my car and now since it is working correctly I have two lites an inspection lite (yellow) and of course my check engine lite but only when idlling.My question is is the yellow lite just a reminder to have the car serviced after so many miles 155K +or is this something I should REALLY be concerned with. Also I am at a loss for the check engine lite...I have been trying to find a manual as there are other concerns I need to look up but I cannot find one even on Ebay !!! Any help would be greatly appreciated !!! Thanks All TIKI2
  • timnytimny Posts: 142
    Please relay your experiences with mileage on the E90. I have about 700 miles now on my 2006 330i. Milage should be 21 (city) to 25/6 (highway). To date, the best mileage I have averaged between tank refills is 18.9 mpg. Most (80%) of my driving is highway.

Notes:
    - I've not exceed 65 mph (I put the limit reminder on to keep me honest)
    - I've not accelerated beyond more than 3500 rpm

I am babying the car since it's new (break-in period, etc.). This mileage seems much lower than I should expect. Your experience?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Two thoughts:

1) Your engine isn't broken in yet. I've always found that the mileage on my cars gradually improved for at least the first 10,000 miles.
    2) I'm thinking that you are driving too slow. My former 328i and 530i both got their best mileage well north of 70 mph.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • selmselm Posts: 122
    Good point with the mileage and speed. On my ED experience just last week with my 325i, manual transmission of course, I put on 650 miles, averaged 45 mph (was consistently driving between 80 and 90), and averaged 27 mpg.

I asked the representative upon delivery about the break-in period and he pulled out the owners manual and showed me <=100 mph, <= 4500 rpms. Hope this helps, Timny.
    1) Your engine isn't broken in yet. I've always found that the mileage on my cars gradually improved for at least the first 10,000 miles.

This I have considered, so thank you for that validation. Here's to looking towards 10K!

2) I'm thinking that you are driving too slow. My former 328i and 530i both got their best mileage well north of 70 mph.

This I hadn't considered. But I should add that, while I don't know how valid it is, the analog mileage/fuel efficiacy guage at the bottom or the taco (or is it the speedo?) shows the highest efficiancy right around 62-63mph, which is where I have been driving. But I am sure I'll hit 70 eventually and see myself!

Thanks for the input.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    What do you understand the break-in period to be? 1000miles? 1250miles? (The latter is the # I heard from the dealer, but he acknowledged that he wasn't sure).

I would keel over if I ever saw 27mpg!
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    IIRC, the Owner's Manual calls out 1,250 miles for the break-in period. Regarding your MPG, you should easily be able to get over 30 with a manual transmission on a highway trip, and might even get about 30 with an automatic. In the case of my two former BMWs, my 1999 328i routinely got over 32, flirting with 35 a few times. My larger/heavier and more powerful 530i was still able to return 31ish at 75mph, and 24ish with the cruise control set north of 120 mph (in Germany).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Hola

I must be doing something wrong - enlighten me, please. Here's the situation. I am driving along in an unfamiliar area and want the Nav to tell me the nearst CVS, say. I can't seem to get the Nav to do this. I can't find an alphabetical listing of businesses for instance. What the Nav. will do is display businesses within say a 0-3 mile radius around me, but these are organized into geographic proximity; even if I had the time to do so, scrolling through a list of businesses in ascending order by their proximity to me doesn't help me to find THE business I am looking for, if you follow my meaning. Myhand-held $400 Garmin PDA's built-in nav offers this level of functionality, so I am assuming this $2000 dvd-based BMW Nav should do the same but that I am doing something wrong. Insights anyone?
  • Thanks, rhmass for the response. The $240 quoted was per side, so total $480. Quote was from Mavis Tire (Mount Kisco, NY). I went in to have them do a $15 job - fix a flat tire that was in my trunk - and when the guy came and got me in the waiting area he had the car on a lift, every wheel off the car, and was quoting me $1200 for various maintenance (pads, etc.). I said, "put the f---ing wheels back on my car." And he said, "we always do a safety check for every car that comes in." Unbelievable.

An indie, though, suggested don't even bother replacing the spring if you don't notice any problem with the handling. Which I don't.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    I kind of agreeing with the indie's suggestion to you as I detected no difference in handling after the replacement. If anything the car was much noisier for some reason. May be it really depends on how long you plan to keep your car. My car sustained significant water damage and was totaled less than a year later, so I think I could have saved the expense.
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    My gas mileage has been in the mid-20s for mixed driving and near 30 for mostly highway driving. I've got 1,000 miles on it now. Seems hard to do in only 3 weeks, 8 days of which the car has been the in shop to address the malfunctioning adapative headlights. It does seem as though gas mileage gets better the faster you go (i.e., 80mph on the highway does better than 60mph).

Have you been using the mpg feature on your on-board computer? Does it show only 19mpg? I have used mine and found it to be fairly accurate (with actual mpg being slightly better than what the computer shows).
  • Your car with such low mileage doesn't make sense. If your car is a certified pre-owned go back to the dealership! If it is not, check the battery. If it is a starter problem, I would definitely go to the dealership. I, also live in southern california and only go to BMW of San Diego. (GREAT SERVICE DEPARTMENT)
  • Everything you stated makes lots of sense! My first BMW was a 1995 E36 3251. I learned to live with some of the minor problems (gas gage worked when it want to,etc...), because overall it was a great car. I traded it in after being 10 years old with approx. 120,000 miles. I fell in love with a 2001 E46 330CIC. It has a slight squeak that occurs on every so often. Something I'll learn to deal with as this is the most fun I've ever had driving a car.