Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have been having this problem for about the past 6 weeks, which cannot be diagnozed: Every time I refuel, I start the engine up again, drive about 5 feet and then the engine shuts down and I lose all power. The emissions instrumentation light has been on since this problem started. Any thoughts?
  • I HAVE A 1999 318 AND HAVE A SORT OF WOBBLING NOISE COMMING FROM I THINK THE FRONT ,I WAS TOLD IT WAS THE CENTRE PROP BEARING SO I CHANGED IT AND THE NOISE IS STILL THERE CAN BE HEARD MORE WHEN ACCELATING SLOWLY IN SECOND AND TRIRD GEARS THERE IS NO PLAY OR NOISE FRONT FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS WHEN YOU SPIN THE WHEELS CAN ANYBODY HELP, MANY THANKS ADAM
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    "Alright. I'm sold. Since I am near 1000 miles anyway, time to ramp up the accelerator (mind you, in the NY/CT territory, the speed limit's a wee lower than the Autobahn. The car definiitely wants to move ... !"

Mileage on my old 330i continued to improve well into 20k miles. Best mileage I got was San Francisco to Santa Barbara (~300 miles). I got 28 mpg with ave speed of 75+ mph (couple stop lights slowed me down).
  • Hello everyone: I am new to this board and would like some help. I am look at a 1998 318, Could someone tell me what the red warning light indicates on the dash, It is a round symbol and is just displayed to the right of the steering wheel. The owner claims that it is a brake warning light. Could this be correct?
  • I have the same problems, I heard a clicking sound sometimes and others it would trun over and not start. My mechanic said it is the electrical vehicle immoblizer since the started looked ok. Someone else said maybe the clutch. I have a 2002 325i with 53,500 miles most highway. How do you do process of elimination without fixing everything for no reason??
  • Hello, mine has 53,500 and I am recently having starter/clutch/electrical vehicle immoblizer problems. I have taken it to two people and gotten two answers. The starter was about $200 and the EVI is $290 but it is still in the shop so maybe I will know more this weekend. I have had the left speaker replaced and new brakes on the front and back. A lot of people have had starting problems especially in the mornings. I live in Northern Texas and the delearship said it is the gas to use a lesser octane and it has actually worked. My friend has a 2004 and they told her it was the fuel regulator. I have also gotten new tires (Yokohamia) awhile ago (about $700 for 4 including warranty and road side asst).
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    If the warning light symbol looks something like this: (O) , it indicates that the brake pads on one or both axles need replacement. There is also an outside possibility that there is a fault in the pad wear sensor or harness, which would also trigger the light. If the 318i has over 70K but less than 100K miles I'd bet that the car needs front pads.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Your info is very educational. Thank you, Shipo.
    Best regards, Lehrer 1
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Does anybody know what are our Bavarian friends did to "decoffeenate" 06 330i engine for 06 325i. The torque and HP must be better.
    Lehrer1
  • WELL I HAVE 2000 323I WITH 56,000 MILES. FOR THE PAST COUPLE OF WEEKS EVERY TIME I TRY TO START THE CAR IT HESITATES TO START THEN USUALLY THE SECOND TIME I DO IT THEN IT STARTS UP FINE. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN GOING ON AND OFF FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. WELL TODAY I WAS AT A LIGHT AND I HAD THE CAR IN NEUTRAL AND TOOK MY FOOT OFF THE CLUTCH AND I KEPT ON IDLING FUNNY AND SOUNDED LIKE IT WAS GOING TO STALL UNTIL I PUT THE CLUTCH IN. THEN I WAS TAKING A TURN AND THE STEERING WHEEL LOCKED UP AND THE CAR SHUT OFF. TRIED TO START IT AGAIN AND THEN IT STARTED FINE BUT NOW IT'S RIDING REALLY ROUGH. PLEASE HELP.
  • Okay first of all take off your CAPS LOCK. Posting with caps lock is very hard to read and most people will ignore such posts.

Second, you'll have to have the codes pulled from the car's computer so we know what error codes have been posted. You might be able to get this done for free from Autozone.

When the engine light goes on, that's a signal to get right on it. You could be doing damage to your car by driving this way.
  • Sorry about the caps lock well i did have it scanned and they said something about the cam sensors. The thing is i'm not bringing it to BMW i no a mechanic does this sound right. Do you really think that i did damage to the car
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Errr, if you don't mind my asking, why won't you bring it to BMW?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • cuz right now i'm really strapped for cash and this way all i have to pay for is parts no labor and we all no that BMW will kill me on labor
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, given that your car is out of warranty I don't understand why BMW would force you to use their labor (which I understand is usually quoted as a one hour job), however, they might be the only game in town for the cam sensor. I've seen a few posts on the R&R procedure for said sensor over the years and on the surface it doesn't sound too difficult. Are you planning to do this yourself?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • what about an independent shop?

the cam sensor tells the injection brain which cylinder is firing, so yeah, you need that.

Here's a place that sells used ones:

http://data.bmrparts.com/bmwparts/2151.html
  • Thank you for the help. One more thing it doesn't specify which sensor does that mean i'm going to have buy both of them,. Thank you for your help.
  • Or take a guess...you have a 50% chance!

I didn't know how many are on your engine.
  • I'm pretty sure there are two of them.... and, if you are guessing, I think I remember the rear one being the most likely to go out...

I've also heard it isn't terribly difficult to replace yourself, but as it involves opening the hood, I would never attempt it..

Plus... mine went out under warranty.. ;)

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• Were those the symptoms that your car had when yours went. Trouble starting,idling funny,stalling out.

Thank you, Tricia ">