Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    All cars from every manufacturer that sells cars in North America (BMW included) are designed to run with gasoline that contains up to 10% ethanol by weight (see page 169 in your Owner's Manual).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,387
    Shipo, off topic but check it out...it gave me goosebumps!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=126092

Regards,
    OW
  • kirkrkirkr Posts: 17
    Shipo,

I was hoping you would respond. Thanks for the info. I would like to keep the car for 100k plus miles, since 90% of my driving are highway miles - nice paved county roads with very little traffic.

Regards,
    Kirk
    Thanks for the memories, I actually drove my 1970 Challenger (RIP) down some of those same roads in Nevada back in the later 1970s (oddly enough before I ever saw the movie).

While the 1970 in this comparison is one some serious steroids, I have absolutely no doubt that the new SRT8 would suck the doors off or my old car. :)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Geez, with that kind of driving I'm thinking that you'd be easily able to keep your car for an easy quarter of a million miles. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    No one can stop the memories! Kowalski lives on! Super, Super Soul!

(Gotta love those Coronets and the troopers who obviously never attended a CCA course!)

Regards,
    OW
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,785
    Whatever happened to Cleavon Little? :confuse:

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Tragically he died of colon cancer on 22-Oct-1992. :(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,662
    I've got a great British book entitled Road Movies. It discusses Vanishing Point(as well as another classic, Two Lane Blacktop) in some detail. It includes comments from VP director Richard Sarafian. Among the more interesting statements, Sarafian reveals:
    "I wanted George C. Scott for the part but the studio insisted on Newman..."
    "I had a better ending. The thing was that Kowalski drives towards the bulldozers and he sees a gap between them, and he goes for it, and he makes it. And the(sic) Super Soul, who's been sensing Kowalski's feelings throughout the thing, goes 'YEAH!'"
    Richard Zanuck(boss of 20th Century Fox at the time)"...wouldn't allow the ending where Kowalski gets through..."

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

BTW, the car against the bulldozer is a '67 Camaro! No way they'd wreck that classic!

I would have loved it if Kowalski made it! But, it is what it was! Here is an interesting take-two

When the bulldozers drop the blades, the blades overlap by about a foot, there is no gap between them. The next shot, a frontal camera shot, shows a gap between the blades, and there's a gap between them in every shot after that.

Yet another:

SPOILER: The hood that is sent hurtling into the air in the final crash scene is not the same hood as on Kowalski's car. His Challenger had dual faux hood scoops, but the white hood that is ejected from the crashed car has no scoops. Also, the hood is pristine, and it is doubtful that the hood of a 1970 Challenger would have remained undamaged after hitting a pair of bulldozers at a high rate of speed.

Two Lane Blacktop was another great movie which highlighted what a good mechanic can do for a driver. Gotta love that line... "I'll check the jets..."

The Mechanic never talks when he's working, as the Driver never talks when he's driving. The Driver closes his eyes. The Mechanic works on.

Regards,
    OW
  • gurmehargurmehar Posts: 2
    1999....i asked another person and he revealed it was because there was no water in the car, after checking it appeared so.
    If you ran that engine with no water for more than a few minutes I'd suggest that a compression check and a leakdown test be performed. BMW engines don't like to be overheated.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    Looks like I'll have to take the car in soon... I'm at 88.1K miles and the light came on again.

I'll have them check the oil separator valve and replace if needed... anything else I should have them look into?
  • imgnohcimgnohc Posts: 4
    I just got a phone call from my local dealer in Santa Monica, CA that I need to bring my 2008 328I Coupe immediately for a software upgrade. A recall has been put in place. When I asked for more details on exactly what type of "upgrade" it was, the person I spoke to had no technical information. My service advisor is supposed to call me back but I've yet to get a call yet.

Has anyone else heard anything about this recall?

By the way, my 7 month old car has been in service for the 15 days and counting and they don't believe I will get it back for another 3 weeks. I wonder if its related to all the other problems I've been having with my car...
  • megreyhairmegreyhair Posts: 154
    I picked up 328xi last week and I noticed the smell too. Went away now. I think its just oil to provent rust or something.. .
  • ericlau01ericlau01 Posts: 15
    Last week, after I filled up gas and pulled away from the gas station, the car stalled. It wouldn't restart after multiple attempts. So had it towed to the nearest BMW dealership, luckily 1 mile away.

Initial assessment was the Fuel Control Module, so it was replaced. The problem remained. Reassessment found it was the Fuel Pump, so it was replaced as well.

The service advisor indicated that there is currently a recall for the 328i fuel pump. I'm not sure if other years/models are implicated as well. So new BMW owners should inquire with your dealerships.

After driving 15,000 miles and the fuel pump fails, what does this indicate? Maybe this was just a random isolated occurrence...
    After driving 15,000 miles and the fuel pump fails, what does this indicate?

Probably nothing more than the fact that BMW got a number of bad fuel pumps from one of their suppliers. BMW fuel pumps usually last for at least 120K. Out of The eight BMWs I've owned since 1983 I've only had to replace one- on my 130K 1987 535is. Don't sweat it.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,232
    this may be what he's referring to--it's not a recall (which are mandatory replacements for safety) but rather a Technical Service Bulletin, an advisory for dealers.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/bulletin_graphic_temp/B125506g.htm

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    That recall applies to the twin turbo engine. It's a high pressure fuel pump unique to that engine.
    Ah, okay thanks. I couldn't find any other TSBs on fuel pumps on the list. I searched all my resources. It must be a new TSB, fairly recent? Or maybe a dealer fantasy report, one of those "yes, we have our best people working on it". Maybe the specialty BMW forums know about it?

Well you know, statistically, a small percentage of cars per 100 are going to have some glitches. On a chronic problem, even a 1-3% failure rate isn't all that unusual. Some cars (to remain nameless) have recorded 8-10% failure rates on certain components, and that is totally unacceptable and basically a disaster level percentage for customer satisfaction. I don't think 3 series BMWs have ever even approached that level unless maybe the early run-flats.

I'm thinking the radiator auxuliary cooling fan debacle from the 2001 vintage E46s easily blew through the 10% failure rate. With that fan, it wasn't a matter of if, it was a matter of when it would fail. As I recall, BMW ponied up and replaced every fan out in the field, regardless of whether it failed or not.

Strictly put, the problem was with one of BMWs suppliers, however, BMW took it on the chin due to this issue in CR and other publications of that ilk.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    I'm going to be replacing my water pump within the next couple of weeks...
    At the same time, I figured it would make sense to replace the thermostat, hoses, and belts. Is there anything else you guys would recommend I do while the car is at that level of disassembly?

The car is an '01 330Ci w/~140K miles.

Thanks!
    I'd go ahead and replace the thermostat housing as well as the idler pullies. I'd also say that the radiator-if original-is also living on borrowed time. OTOH, I've found BMW coolant hoses to be unusually durable; my 113K 1995 318ti is still on its original hoses. Still, if you want to replace them I'd only use BMW parts.

radiator! The clock is ticking!

okay... a radiator has been added to the shopping list. OEM the best way to go? The only way?
    I don't think they are all that expensive, but if you have a good independent BMW repair shop that you go to, I'm sure they have a parts source for a radiator.

Zionsville? Something like that.. out of Indiana..

The all-metal Zionsville radiator is a very nice piece, but if you aren't going to track the car or keep it for another 100K the OEM part is a relatively inexpensive alternative. I'd also change the expansion tank while I was at it.

I'll probably go with the cheaper OEM part. I have no idea how much longer I'll have the car, but it's the first one I've owned for more than 100K miles without getting bored. Since my 1st radiator has lasted for 140K miles, the next one should last at least until BMW adds a dipstick to the 135 and I get "the itch" again... ;)