Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,405
    I figured guibo when you mentioned the assembly. U-joint, as shifty mentioned, is the joint in question.

Also, as shifty said, if the cluch ain't slipping, it doesn't need replacing. Sounds like the shop is overreaching here.

Is it really leaking oil? If so, fix that. fuel filter, brake fluid, air filter ... sure, all good maintenance items. And, once again, reierating shifty, take it to an indy shop for all of that. I know my local bimmer shop wants $100 for a lousy oil change. No thank you!

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• jamiem4jamiem4 Posts: 23
    Thanks again...I'm making a list of what to have fixed and where! The BMW dealer said that the 'valve cover gasket has a slight leak' and to replace it is $661. I'm not a mechanic but I do realize gaskets will wear over time and it is a used car. I'm just not sure of the price. I just don't want my son to return, drive the car, and have something bad happen if I could have spent a few hundred to prevent it. I get the feeling that at 92K there will be normal wear items. I just wonder if there are any mentioned items that should go to BMW instead of the local "import car repair center"
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,562
    edited March 2010
    The dealer is hosing you big time; no way does it cost $600+ dollars to R&R an E46 valve cover gasket. I'd start looking for a good independent BMW tech here. A good indie shop will service your car properly for much less than the dealer that is trying to gouge you.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,013
    Speaking for myself, I have a BMW "product", a MINI, which can be serviced at a BMW dealer, and the *only* things I would take the car there for might be....might be...very complicated electrical/computer work that could require access to esoteric tools or information.

Regarding the valve cover, there is a "leak" and there is what we call "weepage". A leak might drip on the ground or foul electrical parts, but weepage is not much more than a smudge of oil, a thumbprint of oil, so to speak, which does not require anything more than occasional observation.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Regarding the valve cover, there is a "leak" and there is what we call "weepage". A leak might drip on the ground or foul electrical parts, but weepage is not much more than a smudge of oil, a thumbprint of oil, so to speak, which does not require anything more than occasional observation.

I'd be willing to bet that any leak or seepage is coming from the left rear corner of the valve cover. It eventually starts to drip on to the exhaust manifold and you'll start to notice a burning oil smell in the passenger compartment. Replacing the gasket isn't rocket science, but it is a bit fiddly- you have to pull the coils and so on. My secretary had the same issue on her E46 325i and my local indie shop fixed it for less than $200.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

My secretary had the same issue on her E46 325i and my local indie shop fixed it for less than $200.

Yup. That sounds much more in the ballpark. 2 hours @ $80/hr and $20 for the gasket.

$661 is insane. Sounds much more like a quote for a head gasket job.

• uncletouncleto Posts: 45
    Have a 325xi wagon that cigarette lighter is not working. does anybody knows what could be the fix. i used it to charge my cellphone.maybe its the fuse? any imputs will be much appreciated. dont know how much will they charge me if i go to the dealer.
    Fuse is always the first place to look.

• carol47carol47 Posts: 1
    I tried jump starting, but the engine didn't turn over even once. the headlights turn on, as well as the interior lights and radio. I plan to get it towed to the BMW dealer tomorrow but want to get an idea as to the cause if someone has had a similar experience and it turned out to be something other than the battery.
    I'd still check the battery first. Have it load tested before the dealer starts throwing expensive parts at the problem.

Just got back from the mechanic and replace the fuse for the cigarette lighter also had him check the front suspension cause im hearing som noise coming front axle. told me i needed both lower front control arm, ball joint and bushings. $900 parts, $380 for labor, ouch! forgot to ask him if could just repl. the bushings and ball joints. the car is 2001 325xi wagon, 70000m on it. do you think the price is reasonable, is it really necessary to repl. the control arm. i wish it was just easy for me to do, but im not that hands on.im gonna jack up the car later and check how bad it is. Thanks again for the imput youve been giving!
    Your mechanic is quoting a fair price for those parts; MSRP is $840-$950 depending on the supplier. The control arms should be replaced if the ball joint on the control arm is bad.

Thanks Roadbummer for the input! anyway, got underneath the car a awhile ago and try to physically check any signs of wear. tried also to shake the control arm. all i could see is rust around the ball joints. inspect the arm bushing and try to duplicate the thump noise i hear everytime i come across uneven surface on the road.is there anymore test that i can do. can i still drive the car just avoid the potholes. thinking of getting another second opinion from another mechanic. thanks again guys for the response!
    My mistake, Roadburner! not paying attention to the spelling. sorry again for the name calling.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Posts: 710
    "Thanks Roadbummer"

:P :P
  • Being a new 2007 328i owner, is an extended warranty worth it (now 45k miles)? I see that many of you suggest independent shops for repair. The warranty is $1900 for 5 yrs. and a total of 100k miles, zero deduct.
  • My daughter was on her way back to college and called to say her car was acting 'weird". Just the day before she ran out of gas, but insisted the gas gauge read a quarter tank. Now, her cars lights, flashers, dash instruments, indicators lights, etc are all garbled. She stopped and turned the car off, but the dash instrumentation stayed on and in the same garbled state. At first, she was able to restart the car, and turned to head home, but eventually the car just stopped.
    I disconnected the battery and towed the car home. Tried to reconnect the battery once home, same result, and car wont start, but sounds like the battery is low on charge.
    Before I start looking into this again tomorrow, does anyone have any suggestions?
    Alternator comes to mind.

So a bird "relieved" himself on my jet black paint job the other day. Knowing that time is of the essence, I poured some water on it then slowly wiped away with a damp cloth. Well, now I have some nice scratches where the poop was. Guess I have to find some scratch remover.
  • xeyexeye Posts: 162
    Doc,

I can sympathize. My wife has several bird feeders in our back yard. Guess what happens when they gorge themselves on the seed? Upon take-off, they drop baggage on my Sparkling Graphite Metallic 335xi to lighten their loads. Sometimes it looks like ostriches have been feeding there. I really hate it especially after I've spent 20 minutes wiping down the entire car after a good car wash.

I've found that the best protection is a good detail job with marine wax. The finish seems to survive a gentle scrubbing with a wet gas station squeegee sponge to loosen the crud. I have a good detail guy in Natick, MA, if you're in the area.

Good luck.
  • would you expect to see the weird dash behavior if the alternator failed?
    I agree that the other behavior (obviously running off battery, and drained it to failure eventually) points to the alternator, but the weird dashboard stuff made me think there might be a short somewhere.
    I will have the alternator tested today. would be nice if it were that simple.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    Hi, Xeye, I'd like to know your detail guy. I live in the next town and can use a good detail job, now the spring is here. Thank you in advance.
    Once the car's overall voltage drops below a certain point, every microprocessor in your car is going to go bananas.

• bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,357
    Once the car's overall voltage drops below a certain point, every microprocessor in your car is going to go bananas.

Shifty, please tell me that once the voltage is restored they un-banana themselves. This hasn't happened to me (yet), but I would hate the thought of a mere voltage drop frying all the electronics.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

• xeyexeye Posts: 162
    Try http://www.expresscardetailing.com/index.htm

Express Car Detailing
    Roberto Viana, Owner
    200 West Central Street
    Natick, MA 01760
    508-652-9188

Roberto is a real character (you can tell him I said so!), and he and his guys do a great job. I have an appointment for April 10th for a full detail (Saturdays are a little tough to book). I'm looking to trade my 335xi for the 2011 version, and it would probably be a good idea to get it prepped.

He'll treat you right.

If you go, tell him Jon, ('07 graphite 335xi and '08 black 328xi) recommended him.
    I don't think a DROP in voltage could harm anything but a spike sure could. :surprise:

• lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Once my battery was low and after I stared the engine all kind of symbols appeared on the dashboard. After the battery was recharged the wrong symbols were gone.
    Lehrer
  • pandi13pandi13 Posts: 5
    Hi.
    Just bought a 2007 328i with 48k on it. Dealer sticker shows that it is still under warranty. Upon finishing the deal, the salesman told me to bring it immediately to a BMW dealership to have the 45K service.
    As this is my first time to own a BMW/premium car brand, what kind of service on the car should I expect? What kind of BS from the BMW advisor should I expect? :o)
    Any suggestion as to where to bring the car (Atlanta, Buckhead Area), specific instructions on the service advisor? Any info would help! :o)
    Thanks.
    What does Roberto get for a full detailing? My BMW shop sent out fliers the other day for detailing inside and out for $199.99.
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    Thanks, Jon.

I'll try to book an appointment sometime in April. Will mention you as the person who recommended him to me.