Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• kochankochan Posts: 2
    Thanks, Shipo.

I will bring this up with my dealership and see what they think. So far, they've mentioned only in passing that it might have something to do with the timing system, so I'll have them investigate further.

I appreciate your help, and will keep everyone posted!

Mike
  • amiramir Posts: 93
    hi.
    i havn't noticed any noise from brakes.but can u explain a little more of what kind of sound u were noticing b4 they replaced ur fan blower cause i do hear a tickling sound at low tempreratures but not over 70 or 80 from somewhere in the ac vents.
  • skj109skj109 Posts: 8
    That's what was happening with mine too - only at lower temps. They said it was the fan blower and replaced it. I haven't heard it since.
  • ritaoritao Posts: 5
    I overstuffed my bmw trunk with big bundle of toilet tissue. Had to slightly force the trunk close. Since then, the dash indicator light for trunk is on. Trunk locks okay manually. Remote control will not work trunk lock. key only operation. Could you tell me what to look for?
  • megrdh1megrdh1 Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I have a '01 325i, this is my first BMW. During the first 4 years I had the car stalled few times then it needed the "cam sensor" replaced; hand brake did not release completely caused by the "spring". Then, 10 second after the engine is on, the yellow oil light turns on for 15 second; dx: faulty oil sensor, estimate for replacement $500. Now, the passenger rear window is broken, I can hear the buzzy noise, but it does not move. Any idea how much will it cost me to fix it. Just minor things but it drives me crazy, should i trade it in without fixing it? It seems that I cannot keep a BMW more than 6 years. I heard people like to lease rather than buy a BMW because of this reason. Is it true? :sick: Thanks in advance.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,353
    I heard people like to lease rather than buy a BMW because of this reason. Is it true?

It is true for me. I have the first year E90 and decided to lease because I can keep the miles relatively low and do not have to worry about ANY repairs.

My take is if you need to purchase a car for high miles, keep it as simple as possible with few options because of the depreciation effect. The repair costs are higher on the more premium cars also so you need to factor that in to the buy decision.

I estimate your window will be $300 - $500.

Regards,
    OW

Regards,
    OW
  • I am being quoted $1,399 for the extended maintenance warranty and $2,775 for the bumper to bumper extended warranty. Is this what others are being charged now? I am mainly thinking of buying the maintenance warranty right now, because it seems like that one is pretty likely to pay for itself with one brake job and oil changes. Does anyone have any input on that?

Much appreciated,
    Charlotte
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    I bought the extended maintenance contract for my '02 and had both the front and rear brake done completely as well as all belts replaced. With the annual oil change and the additional one brake fluid and coolant change, I think the cost is well worth it.

I am not sure about the extended warranty contract which sounds high, so I have chosen to take my chance on that.
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    Hope I'm not too late to help...

Refer to Post #3207. Nalley BMW was offering the extended maintenance for $945 earlier this year.
  • skj109skj109 Posts: 8
    Where is Nalley BMW?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,621
    It's in Atlanta... but, you can buy the maintenance plan at any dealership..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    That's correct. I was prepared to contact Nalley to make the purchase from them, but I eventually purchased from my local dealer for $995.
  • canman1971canman1971 Posts: 61
    I suspect the dealer that I bought my 04 325iT wagon off of might have put a 1/2 tank of regular gas in the car I bought. I filled it up today with premium. I don't think it had more than that. It has been regularly serviced at my local BMW dealer. So, my question is, is there anything else I should do besides putting premium gas in it from now on?
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    No, regular has isn't going to damage the car in any way.
  • My 2001 BMW Z3 Coupe's rear windshield wiper comes on by itself and sometimes goes crazy and cannot be turned off. I pulled the fuse that was speced and the front wipers were disabled but the rear still has a mind of it's own. The rear wiper works fine when engaged...just comes on by itself (alot) and I need some help trouble shooting this to a relay/fuse or other electrical problem. All help is appreciated!
  • thombermanthomberman Posts: 5
    When do you have to change oil in the BMW. The sales person mention every two years I was under the assumption it was every three months please help. Just purchased my first BMW 2005 325i I am so happy want to keep it for awhile
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Your sales person is an idiot.

Oil changes, per your manual, are required when the car tells you they're due. Figure on roughly every 15,000 miles, however, the car may well tell you to do it in as few as 12,000 miles (if you really thrash the car), or in as long as 19,000 miles (if you typically get on the freeway, set the Cruise Control at ~75 and then drive an hour or two).

If you want to preform an interum oil change (at say 7,500 miles) you MUST MAKE SURE you use one of the three oils available here in North America that meet the BMW LL-01 oil standard. Said oils are as follows:

- BMW Synthetic 5W-30
    - German made (says "Made in Germany" on the label) Castrol Syntec 0W-30
    - Mobil 1 0W-40

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • thombermanthomberman Posts: 5
    I just retired to Las Vegas and purchased my pre-owned 2005 BMW 325i. It is a dream to drive. I appreciate your advice. Nothing like celebrating my Golden Years in a Beamer.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,277
    Beemer=BMW Motorcycle
    Bimmer=BMW Car

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,277
    FWIW Shipo, I recently discovered that Valvoline Synpower 5W-40 also meats the LL-01 specs. Here is the relevant product data sheet.
    Just for fun I emailed BMW NA from the Owners Circle web site and asked what oils could be substituted for BMW synthetic oil. I was advised that Castrol Syntec 5w-30, Mobil 1 5W-30, and and Valvoline 5W-30 were acceptable substitutes- none of which meet LL-01 standards.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica