Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    edited February 2011
    Fuel filters aren't at all like they used to be, nor is gasoline. The filters are way-way larger and the fuel we buy now is cleaner by many orders of magnitude. FWIW, we've run two cars over the 200,000 mile mark with the factory filter, and have another two with 191,000 and 156,000 miles respectively, both with the factory filters in them as well.

The fact is, in-tank fuel filters in modern cars will easily last a quarter of a million miles unless you either buy horrifically bad gasoline (i.e. fuel which is nowhere near up to the minimum standards now required), and/or live in a very dusty area.

To turn the tables a bit; can you name me even a single (non-exotic) car sold in North America in the last decade that recommends periodic fuel filter replacement? I cannot.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,517
    huh. good question. I can't find the schedule for the wife's T&C, but I found the schedule for the GTI/Rabbit and it only suggests fuel filter replacement for the TDI.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

edited February 2011
    We've have/had a T&C and two GrandCaravans of various vintages starting in 1998 and none of them have any recommendation what-so-ever regarding the fuel filter. :)
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,755
    How awesome is it that this guy is driving around with 325,000 miles on his BMW? I love it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• My E90 is 101k now and hasn't changed and don't plan to.... I'll see what this life time thing would last.
  • qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 60
    Sorry if this is the wrong forum to put this question...

I am picking up my new 2011 328i x-drive tomorrow. I noticed that they have done away with the ashtray that had a cover-lid and cigarette lighter and replaced it with a rubber lined cavity. Is there a way to purchase an accessory that goes in that area and that gives me that lighter socket (for a charger) and the cover?
  • pippapippa Posts: 1
    Hope this is not too late for you. Just joined the forum today. Had a 2005 325xi, Loved it. Was in an accident. Passenger side smashed - both front and back doors including the bottom panel, front bumper came off, side airbag deployed. The solid structure of the car saved my daughter's life, with God's blessings, when a van came crashing into us. It would have cost 26K to repair. Totaled at market value. Good luck on yours.
  • chewy2chewy2 Posts: 19
    Maintenance records for BMWs in Carfax often indicate chassis lubrication along with oil changes. The owner's manual for my 2007 328i does not have any information re chassis lube. In fact, the last grease fittings I have seen are the ones on my 1995 F-150 pickup. Do BMWs in recent years need chassis lubrication?
  • This is not a direct answer to your question (sorry!), but the covered ash tray with outlet is part of the "smokers package." You might want to start by seeing if your local dealer can do an aftermaket "smokers package"

If the outlet is your only issue, a place might be able to tap into the electric, but giving you a socket that doesn't look weird would probably be the problem.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,663
    BMW's haven't required chassis lubrication since the late '60s.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• chewy2chewy2 Posts: 19
    OK, you can see how new I am to BMWs. So, the points that used to need lubrication are now where bushings are used? Sometimes I see references to bushings needing replacement.
    edited February 2011
    OK, you can see how new I am to BMWs.

No problem! I've been playing with Bimmers for a while so don't hesitate to ask a question; I'm always happy to talk BMWs

So, the points that used to need lubrication are now where bushings are used?

Sometimes- but the ball joints, tie rod ends and, steering linkage are also sealed.
    BMW does use a lot of bushings in their suspension systems, and they do wear out eventually, although in many cases you can source a more durable replacement from another BMW platform or the aftermarket. The 3 Series rear shock mount is a good example- there is an upgraded OEM part available as well as several good aftermarket alternatives.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 60
    Thanks for your reply. I was worried about having to run a navigation charger cable from the armrest socket to the windscreen. Thankfully, the BMW has a charger socket just to the left and underneath the glove compartment. So no big worry. Even though I liked the lid that covers the ashtray on the smoker's package. Otherwise, very happy with my new car!
  • idoc2idoc2 Posts: 78
    edited February 2011
    The speedometer in my 2007 328xi reads consistently 6% high. When the speedometer reads 75 mph you're really going about 70 mph. My calculation is based on two portable GPS units which are both spot on with the speedometers in my other two cars. The car has 83K miles but this has been a problem since day one. The dealer has shrugged this off as "within specifications". The odometer, however, is absolutely accurate when compared to the GPS units over long hiway drives. Of course, this in no way affects the performance of the car but is a real PIA when speeding and you want to know exactly how fast you're really going.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    edited February 2011
    And your point is . . .

You have no choice but to file a class action. Your damages: the points and fines you could have paid to the municipality, that unbelievably, has issued you a license.
    Well my point is that I don't need a nanny speedometer to keep me under the posted limit. I would also expect the "Ultimate Driving Machine" to have something as basic as a speedometer work accurately. :P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,288
    edited February 2011
    is a known issue. The odometer is normally unaffected.
    These links are very interestsing but if GM can export cars to Europe with the appropriate modifications to its speedometers to meet EU regulations then why can't the "Ultimate Driving Machine" (BMW are you listening?) make cars for the American market that have speedos that are as accurate as GM's are for this market? Obviously they can and should!
    It isn't that BMW cannot make an accurate speedometer, it's just that given how the rules (and penalties) are written, they deliberately choose to err on the high side of reality. Someone posted a link to the rules as they were (then) written a few years ago in one of the BMW threads here in the TownHall, and a quick read revealed why the decision was made.

So, long story short, "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"
    I'm sorry but you folks sound like apologists for BMW, "... a feature!" Perhaps in the EU they choose to "err on the high side of reality", but again, in a big market like the USA, if they so chose, BMW could include speedos that are accurate.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    edited February 2011
    I'm not appologizing for anyone or any company. Only stating facts.

The answer is simple for you....

Don't like the product? Then, don't buy it. But, don't look at a VW, because they are said by many to have the same issue.

I can't speak for MB, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have the same issues as well....

More interesting reading on the subject...

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/02q2/speedometer_scandal!-feature
    Me, an appologist? Hardly. Just reporting the facts as I understand them.
    Buy that Math Made Easy DVD set and before you know it you will be able to calculate the actual speed in your head!
    Hint: indicated speed in mph-@5 mph= true speed in mph

• You know guys that when you change e the wheel size the speedo changes. My 335 with 17" wheels goes slower than the speedo. There is a fix just a little plastic gizmo that hooks up to the speedometer and corrects the wheel difference from 16". But the question is why does it bother you? Worry about the car after the warranty expires.
  • I have an 02 325ci with 89k; it doesn't burn oil as far as I know but I do get the oil changed every 7,500 miles. Basically, oil holds dirt in suspension and at 15k the oil comes out looking like sludge which would suggest that even top quality oil isn't doing as good a job of lubricating/cooling the engine as it might.
    edited February 2011
    Done correctly changing the wheel size from 19 to 18 to 17 to 16 will have absolutely zero affect on the speedometer or the odometer. Said another way, wheel size has no affect what-so-ever on the speedometer or the odometer.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Done correctly changing the wheel size from 19 to 18 to 17 to 16 will have absolutely zero affect on the speedometer or the odometer. Said another way, wheel size has no affect what-so-ever on the speedometer or the odometer.

I agree... It isn't the wheel diameter or circumference that has an effect, its the tire's outer circumference that determines the effect...if any.
  • There's a cigarette lighter outlet right next to where the passenger's left knee would be.
  • dear radburner or others: This might be an odd question, but I noticed, that when I fill up my tank, the fuel indicator needle does not go all the way to the top, it stays on 1. Instead of going above 1. It is slightly above 1 but still it shows that it is at least full.
    Did you have the same experience on the 328xi, 2011? Please share. I have driven a BMW before, but never noticed such a thing. Your reply is highly appreciated.