Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Also, are you using a different gas cap than the BMW factory issue one? It could keep it from closing properly.
  • grantchstrgrantchstr Posts: 371
    The car is 24,000 miles old - mint and original. The gas door closes onto a catch which is enveloped with a small rubber cap so its not possible to see whether anything is bent without ripping off the rubber cap. There is nothing wrong or distorted with the hinges to the gas door either. It was working one day and then popped the next.
    The catch does appear to be a cheap-and-nasty design - I have never had this kind of problem in any other cars I have owned or still own - ever. Including MG, Singer le Mans, Austin Healey, Lotus Elan, Mini, Jensen, Volvo, Landcruiser........
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    My expansion tank had a crack in it, so I had the shop (independent) replace it, and they added coolant as well.

I noticed that the coolant is green in color... but have heard that BMW coolant is blue. Is this any cause for concern?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    At the very least I'd want to find out what coolant they used. I only use BMW coolant, and so do most independent shops. In your case it probably won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't want to run a "hybrid" mix for more than a year or so.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• r74gr74g Posts: 6
    I was driving home the other day from work and I had the air on, I got a bit of a funny odor, and noticed that the air wasn't as cold.

The next day same thing and it came with a bit of a humming noise, almost laborious sound.

Now, I still hear the noise, but no cold air comes out. Any thoughts as to what it may be? I sort of think the ac needs to be recharged or the motor is about to go?
    Any thoughts as to what it may be?

I'm assuming that the interior blower fan is running normally, correct? It could be several things, but I suspect that the compressor may be shot. I'd take it to a good independent BMW tech, otherwise you will just be guessing at a fix.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• r74gr74g Posts: 6
    yep, the air comes out, just not cold and it has a bit of an odd smell to it. not strong, just odd.

I called the guy by my house, he has been around 20 years, didnt really want to take it to the dealer.

thanks!
  • I'm new here so forgive me if I am posting in the wrong area. I have an older 325i convertible (1990)and had problems with the windshield washer. It had sludge in the tank and when I cleaned it out with my garden hose there was a small float type device that came floating to the top of the reservoir. I have no idea where it came from or how to put it back. I filled the reservoir with fresh fluid and it works fine but the low washer level light stays on now. Any help with this is most appreciated.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,648
    I think that is supposed to attach to the reservoir cap, and probably came loose. You should be able to buy a replacement, or better yet, just disconnect the wires that go to the cap.

Try a wrecking yard, you might get lucky.
  • I own a 1991 318i auto sedan. I recently had the transmission rebuilt and since then have noticed that on occasion the car will not change down a gear until it reaches 70 km/hr. My mechanic and subsequent garages have tried to read the on board computer that stores the instructions for gear changes, without success.
    Has anyone experienced this problem before. I dont know much about the onboard computer but believe it quite costly to replace. Can this somehow be overridden in order to resolve this issue?
  • mexboy157mexboy157 Posts: 1
    Hi I think I am having the same problem as you!! I had my oil changed but the Non-BMW dealership did not know how to reset the change oil/service engine light so can you explain to me how you did it please and thank you !!!!!

my email= mexboy157@yahoo.com
  • mikefomikefo Posts: 2
    Our 1995 BMW 318 just had its oil changed and I had the coolant replaced at the independent shop. Now the car overheats, a clanging noise can be heard, and the power steering/power brakes don't function. HELP.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Did they forget to put oil in it?
  • mikefomikefo Posts: 2
    Nope, the dipstick shows a regular reading.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,258
    They did something to the belt system, IMO.

Regards,
    OW
  • I have a 1999 328i sedan. When running the A/C the driver side blows cool and the passenger side blows warm air. Have had some water leaking into the interior and believe that the A/C drain is plugged up. Could this be the cause of this problem?
  • karitonkariton Posts: 2
    Hi, I am a newbie in this forum.

My wife has a bmw325 which is nearing the warranty of 50,000miles. We want to extend the BMW sponsored warranty and free maintenance up to 100,000. The dealer quoted $2,500 and $1,500 respectively. In addition, the these are warranties by company associated to BMW and not by the actual BMW company. They said that there is no available warranty by BMW. Is this a good deal or do I have to look for another dealer in a different city? There is only one BMW dealer in our metro area.Thanks.
  • circlewcirclew Posts: 8,258
    You could save the $1,500 if you do your own maintenance but I would get the 100,000 mile warranty if I were in your place. I have seen the cost somewhere on the BMW forum a lot lower, however, in the sub-$2K range, I believe.

I can tell you that I purchased a bumper-bumper warranty (4 yr additional/70K Total miles) on my wife's GMC 1 month before the 3 yr/36 ran out for $1,900. Last May, 18 months since, the A/C evaporator failed - $870 Cost (I paid $66 for Freon/coolant). So, almost half the cost of extended warranty with one part failure.

Regards,
    OW
  • eruceruc Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 07 328i coupe last month. The milage is horrible, around 16, well below advertised 21 local 30 highway. I know it's still in break in period, but this still sounds very low. Wonder what's the number from other 328 owners.
    Also I noticed that the engine warms up very slowly. It's about 5 miles drive from my home to work, half local, half highway. And the oil temperature gauge doesn't reach the half point until I've arrived at work already. And it cools off slowly as well, the hood feels hot even a couple hours after use. I used to have a Honda Civic and it warms up just within a couple minutes after a cold start.
    I just bought a new 07 328i coupe last month. The mileage is horrible, around 16, well below advertised 21 local 30 highway.

I wouldn't expect to get much over 20 mpg- assuming that the majority of your driving consists of your 5 mile work commute.

Also I noticed that the engine warms up very slowly. It's about 5 miles drive from my home to work, half local, half highway. And the oil temperature gauge doesn't reach the half point until I've arrived at work already.

That's completely normal; oil temperature always lags behind water temperature. In your case I'm actually surprised that it warms up so quickly.