Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Yes, BMW advises against tire rotation. That said, I've rotated them on every BMW I've owned with no ill effects. FWIW, the OEM Michelins on my wife's 528iA sled have over 60000 miles on them, and I expect to get at least 7500 more before I replace them.
  • eugeug Posts: 46
    I've been receiving reports from Bill Stuart of BMWNA about the redesigned gas petal. I've received his latest update about 2 day ago. He said the new petal is not ready yet and he will call again in 3 weeks or so. If you've seen my last message here, it was suppose to be done this month. Apparently, BMW was not satisfied with the redesign, and will be making more mods. to fix the problem.
  • I own a 2001 330ci with 21k miles. I, too, am experiencing squeaky brakes. It's loud enough to cause friends to comment. I talked to my service advisor, who said to drive at highway speed and brake hard to remove any glaze buildup. I did that with no luck. (It sure was fun, though!) Then the advisor had me bring in the car. The technicians could hear no squeaking when they had the car for the day. (Of course!) Is it normal for the brakes to squeak like that? I'm going to bring it up again with the advisor, but I thought I seek some feedback here as well. Thanks for your help.
  • I did it as well, braking on the freeway to remove build up, and it worked temporarily (about two minutes) and then the squeeking returned. I'm not going to do it anymore, I really don't feel like destroying the brakes before I have the car serviced on the 26th.
  • Hi,
    How do I reset the "brake ligning" light? Do I have to take it to the dealer or is there an easier way?
    Two ways: either replace the sensor or simply cut it off and connect the two wire with a crip on butt connector. Of course, the second option eliminates the warning feature.
  • It sounds like an electric fuel pump. We only have 3300 miles on the car and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the problem. I'm also wondering if the fuel pump is about to quit and if BMW has been cooperative in fixing it under warranty (assuming that's what is wrong).
  • I bought a 2000 BMW 328I with only 19,500 miles on it a couple of weeks ago. Initially the car drove perfectly, but this weekend I noticed that it was difficult to shift into gear (it’s a manual). It didn’t grind, but it took a lot of effort to get into gear. I took it to BMW of Murray here in Salt Lake City, Utah and they said that the transmission is blown. I was completely shocked. They said that when they drained the transmission oil there were metal shavings and a burnt smell to the oil. The service advisor said the reason for it was the previous owner had abused the car. He also said that the 328I is a luxury car and isn’t meant to be driven hard like the M3. I know the guy that owned the car before me babied the thing. He didn’t abuse it and never red lined the car. My feeling is that there must be some sort of a defect in the transmission. Has anyone had this problem? I would so appreciate some advice. I called up four transmission shops in town and they all said that it is highly unlikely that the guy that owned it before me could blow the transmission especially with the mileage on it. The tires and the brakes are in great condition as well, so why would the transmission show signs of abuse and not other parts on the car? The car looks like new. Help!
    Well, if the service advisor really did say that that a 328i is not designed to be driven hard, he is either an idiot, a liar, or possibly both. As for the tranny failure, it's tough to make a long distance diagnosis. That said, a ham-fisted driver could have wrecked it. It could have been a manufacturing defect- or the PO could have put the wrong lubricant in it.
  • Even though my 2000 E46 does not have fuel pump noise, I noticed BMW owners complaining about it on bimmer.org.

My wife's Nubira has a very loud fuel pump noise (it has about 5000 miles on the odometer). I hear it when I start the car, then it cuts off.

Some pumps must be louder than the others. I would not worry about it if you are certain that the noise is from the fuel pump.
  • fowvayfowvay Posts: 29
    BMW of North America has a service bulletin specifically addressing the problem with the rear axle clunk noise. Take your vehicle to a BMW service center and describe the noise that it is making. Also address the issue of the axle whine which is also a issue relating specifically to poor sound insulation. The clunk noise will be repaired by installing a rubber dampener in the drive line (axle) near the transmission and the whine noise is solved by adding a isolation pad at the aft axle bearing. The issues are common with early production E46 machines.
  • My 328i has 40K miles, and has been making a 'clunking' noise over soft bumps and pavement joints. It sounds as if something is loose, but I can't find it. Also, it seems to be temperature related, and disappears below ~ 35 - 40 degrees Farenheit.

My dealer and a specialized BMW garage have both looked at it and said there's nothing wrong back there. Does anyone have some info about this.
    It sounds like it could be rear shock mounts, though 40K is a bit early for them to fail. If they're bad, replace them with E46 M3 pieces.
  • My 2001 325iT rear suspension clunks over mild bumps ever since my dealer tried to fix a sagging right rear corner, mileage is 12,000. It bothers me but not enough to take it in again and listen to the idiot BMW service manager tell me it's "normal" or "can't be reproduced" or "BMW is working on a remedy" or some other hogwash like every other time I bring the car in for something that seemed a little odd for the "ultimate driving machine". I expect problems to occur but the way BMW tries to weasel out of dealing with them is unbelievable.
  • nobeenobee Posts: 194
    what service bulletin board are you talking about?
    Thanks,
    -nobee
    the service bulletins that were mentioned above are available through all servicing BMW retailers in North America. The bulletins are not accessible to the general public though and are proprietary data. It is their responsibility to maintain a bulletin library and they are expected to utilize this information when diagnosing the customers vehicles.

SB 33-02-00 is axle whine of the E46 chassis.
    SB 24-09-98 is for the transmission clunk associated with the GM5 automatic transmission.
  • jodar96jodar96 Posts: 396
    I bought a 92 325i with 86K miles last November. The owner manual says to use 10W40 (winter) and 20W50 (summer).

Does anyone know why BMW recommends high viscosity oil? What is so special ( or outdated) about 92 2.5L engine?

Fowvay, what is your opinion?
    BMW expects their engines to be driven hard at high rpm for extended periods. I run 15W-50 Mobil 1 in my 1995 ti and 1998 5er year round with no problems.
  • nobeenobee Posts: 194
    Thanks!
    -nobee
    For the E-36 chassis coupled with the M50 engine I would recommend that you use a fully synthetic engine oil meeting the ACEA A-3 requirement for gasoline engines in the viscosities of either 5w-40 or 10w-40 for year-round use. In North America the BMW retailers offer a 5w-30 lubricant that also meets the ACEA A-3 rating. For high RPM extended use it is imperative that you use a lubricant with a highly rated High Temperature/High Shear rating. Lubricant containers do not publish this information for the consumer so you are left with the choice of using a lubricant that meets a regulated standard such as API or ACEA. There is absolutely nothing "antiquated" about the M50 engine and the use of heavier viscosity fluids is recommended to prolong the life of the engine under severe use. As fluid/chemical technology progresses the higher ratings of the thick fluids will make its way into the lighter lubricant grades. At the present there are very few 5w-30 lubricants that meet the ACEA A-3 rating. The 5w-30 available in North America at the BMW retailers DOES meet this standard and will give you slightly improved fuel economy with similar protection to the thicker recommended lubricants.