Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    Or my Japanese sports coupe that required a $2000.00 clutch replacement @ 52,000 miles?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I am sort of new at this. Can you tell me what is the function of a micro filter and where is it located in a BMW 328 xi 2008. The dealership is charging me 200 to replace it. My car is out of warranty and needs oil, and brake fluid change.

Can someone tell me if I can change the microfilter myself.
  • The engine malfunction light displayed on the Navigation screen with a long note that read the engine can run at reduced performance. Contact the BMW dealer immediately. The car basically "shutdown". I tried to give it gas and the car shook. I was going fast enough to coast to the next off ramp, but the engine shut off and the car lost all power. It wa not a very safe feeling. It was not just an egine light on the dash that went on. The car shutdown. Nothing was functioning. I had to call the dealer to get the phone number to BMW Assist and they sent a flatbed Tow truck. It was a pretty serious engine problem. Not just a dashboard light that illuminated.
  • The problem was that the car basically "shutdown" and stated on the Navigation screen "engine malfunction" vehicle can run at reduced output. Contact your BMW dealer immediately. The car actually shutdown. I had to coast it to the next offramp. There were no working functions on the car. At first the engine was still running so I gave it a little gas, however the whole car started shaking and then the engine shutoff completely. I could not even get the Menu to operate. I had to call the Dealer to get the BMW Assist phone number. I have never in my 35 years of driving had a car's engine shutoff on the freeway while driving at 65 mph?!
  • You are absolutely right that it is well within the warranty period, however it just really bugs me that a new car in that price range had a malfunction that caused the engine to shutdown...... and I mean literally turn off. If you live in Southern California you know how dangerous a situation that would be, or in any state for that matter.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,043
    Don't get too worried, yet...

That doesn't necessarily mean that there is a serious problem. Just that a sensor detected a potentially serious problem. See above for my thoughts on sensors.

In 2003, I flew to Chicago to pick up a nearly-new 3-series for my wife.. on a Saturday.. She drove it to work on Monday. Called me at lunchtime and told me she was stranded. ("I told you it wouldn't be like a Honda" lol).

Flatbedded to the dealer... turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor.. no engine issues..

Good luck!

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• onemtonemt Posts: 2
    Hey skinhealer,

I also have a 2008 328 xi. You can locate the microfilter(used to clean air going into the car) underneath the hood directly under the wiper arms. Its a long, plastic piece with about 6 small screws. I ordered my filter from Mann for about $30, model HU 816x. Get a small wrench and you can replace it yourself in about 3 minutes.

I bought my own synthetic oil and filter for about $56.00. If you can get your car on a lift you can change it yourself. I took my car to a mechanic friend and he charged me $20, so it was a total of $106 for oil change and filter change. Also got rid of contipro run flats for winter Dunlops, huge improvement in comfort, but it is a little less sporty ride.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,226
    That does suck.

But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully its a one-and-done issue and you won't continue to have problems.

Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '14 Town&Country

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,381
    edited February 2012
    But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer.

Exactly. At 26,000 miles my Mazda began emitting huge billows of white smoke at idle- to the extent that you could not see the car behind you. One new turbo coming up! And right after that the LF strut blew out.
    Fortunately it was Japanese, so at least it was reliable...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Thank you for your help.

I did find it and will change it on my own. The dealership wants $170. Can you believe that!!!

The part is $52.00 so that means $120 for opening the screws and changing the filter. That is such a rip off. I can understand if they take $100 or so.(still think that is high).

The HU 816x is an oil filter isn't it?

Was thinking of getting it from the dealer and install it at home.
    Where do you buy the micro filter from? Was also thinking of replacing he air filter
    as well.

Thank you for your help.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Try places like Bavauto.com or Ecstuning.com for online parts.

You can enter your car info and then search for the correct part for your model.

Frankly, I can buy an oil filter and oil cheaper from my dealer than I can find it elsewhere, but others my not have such luck.
    If you are a BMW Car Club member some dealers give up to a 20% discount on parts.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• It turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump. They had it back to me in 3 days and gave me a loaner in the meantime..... that was 2 days ago...... Yesterday, the orange "service engine soon" light just came on..... You are absolutely right when you told your wife it would not be like driving a Honda!...LMAO....

The car performs great and I was seriously considering making a purchase after the lease, however, I will really think about it now....even if I get the extended warranty plan....
  • Never had any of the issues mentioned with my Toyota 4X4's. I ran them all well over 100,000 miles.....

As for the 335i, it was not an "engine check" or "service engine soon" light. The "Navigation screen" displayed "engine malfunction" can run at reduced output. This was not the orange service light on the dash. It came on through the Navigation screen.

It turned out to be the High Pressure Fuel Pump..... I still am disappointed in a part failure at 11,300 miles. I am not BMW bashing, just really disappointed in the lack of reliability in that price range.
  • They had it 3 days and diagnosed the High Pressure Fuel Pump. That is the reason it died on the freeway. They replaced the fuel pump, the spark plugs, the fuel injectors, the micorn filter, bled the brakes and a few other things. Just got it back to days ago and it runs great, but the "service engine soon" light on the dash just went on?!?!??!?

What is the deal ?
  • Oddly enough, I had my 4runner flat bedded and nearly lemoned at 11k. But I am a fan of naturally aspirated BMW engines. Don't know what I am going to do when the lease is up now that BMW NA engines are a thing of the past.
    Never had any of the issues mentioned with my Toyota 4X4's. I ran them all well over 100,000 miles.....

Never had a CEL in either of my current BMWs either, both of which have @130,000 miles on them(one of which is my HPDE instructor car, by the way).
    Sorry for your luck, but now it's beginning to sound like a dealer issue. The HPFP problem is not just a BMW issue, Mazda has had problems with the pump on their DISI MZR L3-VDT four (Google CDFP). Unfortunately, the quest for low emissions and increased fuel economy will make DI turbo motors almost ubiquitous- which is why my next BMW will have an S54 motor in it(either an E46 M3 or a Z4 M Coupe).

• Hi 2thelimit,

I wonder if you can share with us the production date of your 2011 335i BMW.
    I am asking because the HPFP part has been a notorious issue for several years but was supposedly fixed after rotating several variations of the HPFP and assumedly had been resolved with use of the remanufactured 1351 7 613 933 HPFP in May 2010. So it would be very helpful to understand if your vehicle was produced before that time and still equipped with one of the previous HPFP for which failure rates were high and led to general recall and replacement with part #13517616170.
    At any rate you should not be having any issue related to that part. If my experience can be of any assistance I am about to finish my 4th year of satisfying driving with a 2008 335xi and the only issue I have had was a small leak in the transmission picked up 2 weeks ago (still under warranty so no cost to me).
    Best of luck!
  • What is the name of the elbow that is at the top of the coolant resevoir? It seems to have a pressure relief vent pointing straight upward and for some reason I'm getting coolant spray out of this relief port.

Any thoughts? Seems easy enough to replace this fitting, it attaches to the top of the resevoir and then to a coolant hose, I believe this hose goes to the thermostat.

Could there be any underlying reason why this pressure relief blew? Car has 129k miles and yes, it does have that aftermarket supercharger on it...

No overheating at all, it seems to lose about 1 liter of coolant when I drive it.
  • sabrina14sabrina14 Posts: 1
    edited February 2012
    How many o2 sensors does a 2002 325i have? and is it safe to drive the car if one fails? and for how long? Also how much would it cost to get one replaced? :confuse:
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    edited February 2012
    I think your car has the OBD-2 diagnostic system. Therefore, I'm 99% sure there are at least 2 O2 sensors on your car's exhaust - one before the catalytic converter (cat), and one after it.

The one behind the cat is used to assess whether the cat is working correctly or not. If that one fails, then the CEL light should come on and the relevant OBD-2 code stored, but I don't think anything should be damaged.

If the one ahead of the cat fails, then it could, in the extreme, cause damage the catalytic converter, which is expensive to replace. If that one fails drivability could suffer also.

As to cost, I'm going to go way out on a limb here :P . Say the O2 sensor itself costs $100. Shouldn't take more than about an hour to replace either one, so my guess would be $200. Of course, your's is a BMW :shades: so that cost could easily be 2X higher.
    A 2002 325i has two pre-cat 02 sensors and two after-cat 02 sensors.
    OEM equivalents from Bosch will run @$95 for the pre-cat sensors and @$78 fpr the after-cat pieces.
    In any case the fault codes need to be read in order to determine which sensor(s) is/are flakey.

• Steve,
    Unfortunately I don't have the car as the engine service soon light went on again and I had to take it back to the Dealer again?!?! The Dealer said it was the catalytic converter that had been damaged by the gas flow when the High Pressure Fuel Pump went out. I don't know where to find the production date ? Is it on the inside of driver door stamp? It was not on the window sticker. I will check the driver door when I get the car back. I leased it in December of 2010 so I imagine the production is November of 2010 but I will confirm once you tell me where to look. The window sticker says Engine and transmission are from Germany and Final Assemble in Rosslyn South Africa. Thank you very much for any help
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    2006 BMWi with 6000 miles on it. My radio is kaputt . What a shame! The screen lights up but it is blank. What is the price to fix the radio?
    Best regards, Lehrer
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,615
    Might be a good opportunity to upgrade rather than repair the old one. Probably you'll have to pay a good car audio shop a "bench fee" to pull it and test it, and then give you an estimate for repair versus replacement. If your old one doesn't have ipod and USB inputs, maybe it would be worth it for you?

• If you need a better visual, here is my mechanic's site and they have a video on a 3 series BMW Oil Change. They are super skilled and have a lot of great maintenance tips for European vehicles.
  • idoc2idoc2 Posts: 78
    My 2007 328xi with 111,000 miles is now consuming about a quart of oil every 4,000 miles. When new it consumed about a quart every 8,000 miles. I have always changed my own oil every 7,500-8,000 miles using BMW filters and BMW oil purchased from the dealer. Is this degree of oil consumption common for a car of this age? What are the future implications?
    Relax; 4,000 miles per quart is nothing to worry about. My 1995 3er has consumed one quart every 2,500-3,000 miles since new. At 130,000 miles it runs strong and smooth. and used oil analysis backs up my subjective evaluation.
    I suspect the transfer case will die long before the engine- especially if the TC oil has never been changed.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,615
    Not a problem--perhaps even good for your engine.