Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• rovin1rovin1 Posts: 3
    hi, from what you explain i suggest you have the transmission fluid level checked. if for some reason there were a electronic or hydraulic system failure in the transmission a transmission failure would display on cluster warning information. the technician who have scan the vehicle could de term the fault depending on the transmission service code display.if no malfunction service codes were display when scan and the fluid is on the level you may need to have the transmission fluid filter checked.
  • rovin1rovin1 Posts: 3
    hi where is sf-bay area located reply i will try and locate someone who may be on my group i am in the ny area.
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    Your friends would be much happier in a nice, reliable, and -achingly boring- Accord or Camry...

I must come to the defense of the Accord. My family has one - a 2006 LE V6. There is some, dare I say it, fun to drive factor there. V6 + pretty good handling. Although Accord and Camry are often lumped together as the being the two most popular reliable mainstream family sedans, they have remarkably different personalities. Accord is nimble and fun to drive. Camry is quiet but not fun to drive. The Accord is certainly not a 3-Series, but it's far from "achingly boring." Maybe that description fits the Camry though.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,422
    megrdh1, "BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair" #3510, 25 Oct 2007 10:10 pm

Not in the East Bay, although I am sure there is one (East Bay has the best mechanics IMO) but there's Bill Arnold Automotive in San Rafael (just a hop over the Richmond Bridge from Berkeley) at 68 Woodland Ave. 415 459 2697. Great shop if you have a job you can wait around for, otherwise you're stranded in Marin with regards to public transport. If it were a 1938 BMW I could help you!

• Hi,
    I am in San Leandro, CA. There is one on Washington Ave. but I have no knowledge about their work. Talking to a friend, he advises that if i want to go independent garage I need to know well because, he said, there were cases that the machanics don't know how to, they opened up the engine and made a mess.
    Many thanks.
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    "Berkeley Motor Works" is a shop I've heard recommended to a few folks.

Also, there's a place in Danville but the name escapes me right now. Maybe try googling...?

Or, check bimrs.org which lists independent shops that are certified for bmw's.
  • Thanks a bunch. I will look them up.
    any thoughts on what could be causing low oil? i've had the yellow oil light come on twice in the past two weeks (the first time, I checked the dipstick and added half a quart; the second time was this morning when i pulled into the office... I will check the dipstick and top off tonight if needed).

there are no oil spots on the floor of my garage, and the mechanic took a look under the car last time I had it in the shop and didn't notice anything.

i just changed the oil at the end of August (it took 5.5 quarts).

it's a 2001 330i m/t with 82K miles.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    i just changed the oil at the end of August (it took 5.5 quarts).

That could be your problem. Your engine takes 6.9 quarts.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

hmmm... yes, that could be the problem; though, I used a mityvac and just poured the same amount in that came out.

plus, when I checked the level on the dipstick two weeks ago it looked fine (right in the middle of the high and low).
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Did you change the filter too?
    yep, oil and filter.
    Then you should never go by what comes out in your Mighty Vac. As roadburner correctly stated, your engine calls for 6.9 (although I always used 7) quarts of oil. I'm surprised your oil light didn't illuminate immediately after your oil change.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    shipo-- as always, thanks for your continued contribution to these boards. I will top up and make sure to use 6.9-7.0 quarts of oil going forward!

just a quick follow-on question though... if i checked the dipstick and it showed the level to be in the middle, what would happen over two weeks that would cause it drop?

I also checked the dipstick when after changing the oil, and it looked okay then as well.
    Given the architecture of the oil filter canister, it can take a few miles to purge all of the air from the filter, especially if you didn't pre-fill the canister after installing the filter cartridge.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,304
    if i checked the dipstick and it showed the level to be in the middle, what would happen over two weeks that would cause it drop?

Are you parking in the same place every time you check your oil? The floor of my basement garage is sloped toward the door. If I back my 3er into its space the oil level reads @.25" below the "Full" mark. If I pull the car in it reads @.25" above "Full".

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

Thanks for the insights... I topped up last night and will continue to monitor the oil level.

roadburner-- yep, i check the level in my garage (level floor).
  • I am a gal so I don't know much about car, but i had similar problem. Anyway, my 2001 325 sedan had the yellow oil light on for 15 second after the car was turned on. I got it check because I just had 60K maintenance few months before that then turned out to a faulty sensor that needed to be replaced.
  • kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    My 2001 330Ci (~127,000 miles) started doing the same thing... light comes on soon after start-up and goes back off within 15-30 seconds. The oil level is fine. If I'm not being too nosy, roughly how much did the sensor replacement cost you?
  • I did not fix it right away. So it cost me 180 for diagnosis and more than $500 to have it replaced. Now the mileage is close to 70000 and "Service Engine Soon" yellow light is on. I don't know what is going on, don't have time to go to have it fixed yet, but thinking of going to an independent shop. Do you know any in the SF Bay Area, I was recommended from this forum a few but have not check them out yet. Is there anybody know about "One Track BMW" shop in San Leandro, CA? Thanks in advance.