Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Hi,
    It is me again. I also have the feeling that when my car is more than 4 years old, the service at the dealer is not great anymore. They were slow to serve me, it took longer time after I paid the bill to get my car back, one time they lost the key, had to look for it more than 30 min, one time they park my car at the front and gave me the key to go look for it. I wonder how stupid they are because they now cut my arm and leg for repair and maintenance.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,284

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I also have the feeling that when my car is more than 4 years old, the service at the dealer is not great anymore.

It all depends on the individual dealer. In my case the local dealer(Swope BMW) provides excellent service on my 1995 3er as well as my wife's 2004 X3. I've even found Swope to be cheaper than my indie BMW shop for some maintenance and repairs.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    Edmunds' is starting up a Dealer Referral Database. Maybe you'd like to comment on the dealer you like?

Here's the link:

http://www.edmunds.com/dealerships/drr/jump.html

MrShiftright
    Visiting Host

• davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    2006 330i with 33,000 miles.

The other day I heard that engine ticking noise again, the same noise which led to a lifters replacement and 3 weeks at the service center over the summer. First time I heard that noise since the "fix." Now I'm worried it may be a recurring and unfixable problem. It happens that I have a service appointment next week for several other issues (been waiting almost a month - that's how long it took to get an appointment with a loaner car). I'll mention this to them and ask them to check it out. I never felt so sick just from a sound before. I never want to hear that sound again!
  • dhanleydhanley Posts: 1,531
    "The other day I heard that engine ticking noise again, the same noise which led to a lifters replacement and 3 weeks at the service center over the summer. First time I heard that noise since the "fix." "

I've asked you this before, but isn't this a leased car? So why are you making youself so upset over these issues?
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    I'm missing your point. Yes, it's a leased car. But it bothers me no less as a lessee than it would bother me as an owner when my ultimate driving machine sounds like a time bomb. It's annoying, embarrassing and concerning. So it upsets me and I want to have it fixed (again). I just want everything to be right with the car during my time with it for my own satisfaction and enjoyment. What different mentality did you expect I would have as a lessee?
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    shipo/roadburner... quick question-- when should I measure the oil level? i noticed that the longer i wait (after shutting off the car), the higher the oil level (I'm guessing that the oil is still circulating when the car is cooling off and the longer i wait, the more time it has to collect...?).

i looked in the manual, and it says to wait 5 minutes. i've checked at (roughly) that interval and also at about an hour afterwards. The oil level was noticeably higher after an hour.

Also, I'm at ~ 82K miles... should I be planning to replace my radiator? (I've already done the water pump [proactive] and expansion tank [reactive])

Thanks!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    The best time to check the oil is the next morning, assuming you have a dipstick.

Pull it, look at it, push it back in. You don't even need a rag to wipe it off, which you would if the car were recently run.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'm going to defer to roadburner for that one. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    when should I measure the oil level?

I wait 15 minutes to 1 hour. Cdnpinhead's method is the most accurate, but an hour should be close enough.

should I be planning to replace my radiator?

You'll want to swap the radiator out before you hit 100K. I'd go with an all-metal replacement if I tracked the car; otherwise I'd fit an OEM replacement.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    As a man who has been scalded by a 3-series radiator, I heartily concur. (Neck broke off at top radiator hose connection, at 76,000 miles)

• sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    thanks for all of the help everyone.

I had my car at the mechanic and they didn't see anything wrong with it (I asked them to look for any oil or coolant leaks). But when I asked about the radiator they said that usually these break before 100K miles, and that almost all of their customers don't get this replaced until it breaks.

Not sure if this was wise, but I had them go ahead and change out the radiator anyhow (I figured it was already in the shop and I didn't want to have this leaving me stranded on the side of the road somewhere).
    Not sure if this was wise, but I had them go ahead and change out the radiator anyhow (I figured it was already in the shop and I didn't want to have this leaving me stranded on the side of the road somewhere).

Smart move. I know of one guy who had his E30 318is dump all its coolant in an interstate construction zone- with no place to pull off. By the time he limped to the first pull off he had bought a new engine. Pay now or REALLY pay later.

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your contributions here and in several other boards I visit.

It's really helpful to have people who actually know something contribute. Just since May you've become one of the BMW authorities, at least in my book.
    Just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for your contributions here and in several other boards I visit.

You are welcome. Cars are my hobby, and I "specialize" in BMWs. I'm just glad to be able to help people out every now and then.

• nbbnbb Posts: 16
    I've been following this subject for some time. We have a 2000 323i and a 2001 325iC. Thankfully, neither transmission has failed. But I am concerned about what to do in the event it happens to me, so any precedent I can share with my dealer is valuable. This was the first I heard of someone getting full reimbursement through the courts. At most, I heard of people getting 'Goodwill' repairs which covered the cost of the part. Can you share the name of the dealer that reimbursed you? Also, do you (or anyone else) fully understand which cars are at risk? For example, is it strictly MY2000? Certain build months? Certain countries of origin (my MY2000 is French, my 2001 is German)? Thanks!
  • Can anyone tell me how the new 2007 3-Series hardtop ride compares with the sedans? Specifically, is there any noise difference inside when the top is up?
    Can anyone tell me how the new 2007 3-Series hardtop ride compares with the sedans? Specifically, is there any noise difference inside when the top is up?

I drove a 335i Sport Package car for a couple of weeks. The ride was smooth and comfortable. I haven't driven enough sedans to make a valid comparison. As for the steel top, I found it to be every bit as quiet as the coupe. The only compromise the drop top forces on you id reduced luggage space.

• ftrohaftroha Posts: 21
    I won the case and I'm waiting for my check. If the dealership fails to pay within 30 days -- and it looks like they may not at this point -- the matter is turned over to a marshall who can seize the dealership's assets. I suggest you visit the website: "noreverse.org" for documentation that can support your case, if your transmission fails, as I suspect it will. A service bulletin to BMW technicians reporting the fact the transmission would be discontinued appears on the site along with other useful information. Ironically, one of the two judges I met in three court appearances was quite familiar with the 2000 323i's transmission problem. His son's car, a 2000 323i, also failed to engage in reverse without warning.