Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• joann3joann3 Posts: 3
    I rencently bought a 1999 BMW 328 I and I have to do my first oil change. I called 2 people to inquire on price and 1 told me that the price includes a German Filter, the other one didn't mention anything about a German Filter. Is it necessary to use a German Filter? If so, why?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    In the case of BMW filters, pretty much all of them are "German". Why? Because as far as I know, there are only two or three manufacturers of filters for these cars, all from Germany, and at least one of them sells their filter with common American names on them such as Fram.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • joann3joann3 Posts: 3
    Forgive my ignorance as I know nothing about cars. Is there a filter made specifically for BMW's that should be used when doing an oil change or can a generic filter be used?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I've used Mann and Bosch filters with no problems, however, to me at least, the Mann filter seems a bit better constructed.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • idoc2idoc2 Posts: 78
    I enjoy changing my own oil because not only can I do it at my convenience but I can do it in less than 30 min. Taking it somewhere reliable and waiting is an hour or two. Doing it myself also saves me a bundle. My dealer charges $130 for an oil change!! I have bought filters at the dealer in a BMW box for about $15 and at AutoZone in a Purolator box for $18 both made by Mann & Hummel of Germany. In my car, a 2007 328xi, these are not the typical filters that one tends to see on American or Japanese cars. They don't come self-contained in a screw-on can but rather are an uncontained corragated filter that one inserts into a canister like assembly attached to the engine. I suspect what is of equal or perhaps more importance is that one uses the correct type of synthetic oil. My car requires 7+ quarts of a BMW LL-01 certified oil. One can buy this at the dealer ($8/quart) or for somewhat less Mobil 1 0W-40 (not just any Mobil 1) as well as a few other LL-01 certified oils can even be bought at Wal*Mart. Be sure whoever changes your oil doesn't cheat on these issues.

Good Luck!!
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,127
    Please forgive my "fuzzy math" as I just started typing and got lazy because it was late.

The cap cost reduction on the lease is $0. We don't put money down on leases.

It is cheaper to buy cash and keep a car for 8 - 10 years.

Leasing isn't cheaper, but sometimes does make more sense (no pun intended).

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    Changed my oil yesterday (as well the oil level sensor). I couldn't help noticing that my Mann filter had "made in Mexico" stamped on it.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    Why should that matter? Either Mann is known for quality or it isn't, so if the filters are built to exacting Mann specs, no problemo.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Posts: 188
    It doesn't matter to me at all - I wasn't trying to imply that Mexican manufacturing was a problem (sorry if I came off that way). I just thought it interesting that there is no such thing as a German/American/etc part out there. Anything can be made anywhere these days.

BTW - I love the Mann filters.
  • occir511occir511 Posts: 1
    I have a bmw 330ci and having aproblem opening the luggage compartment by my remote key and open only manually but sometimes its from my remote key please give advise
  • bmwguysbmwguys Posts: 6
    We have an '06 330xi 6-speed manual that we bought w/68k miles on it just over a year ago. Car was a one-owner from our BMW dealer, had a full service history, and looked and drove like it had 5k miles on it. It had the exact color combo (alpine white/terra) and options we were looking at on a new 335xi (6-speed manual, sport w/17s, premium, cold weather, nav, sat radio, ipod/usb, comfort access). After warranty, tax and fees we saved $25k+ off the new 335xi. It was a no-brainer. (The money we saved was put toward an alpine white sport pkg X3 a few months later.)

My question ... because this is exactly the car we wanted, we want to keep it a long time. The car is babied. What preventive maintenance should we make sure we do now that the car has 75k miles on it? Should we stick with the 12-15k mile oil change schedule, or do it more often because of the high miles? What wear items (other than the obvious tires/brakes/etc.) should be checked and when?

Any input is appreciated!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,210
    Go back and read messages 3675 & 4237. There's a "go to message # _____" thingme at the top & bottom of this page. Fill in the blank and. . . There's quite a bit repeated between the two, but they are a little bit different -- there's no better advice anywhere.

It's doubtful that the car was taken care of this way before you got it, but if you start now by replacing all the fluids and essentially zero-timing it, you should get a lot of excellent service from the car. Since BMW made themselves responsible for all service for the first few years, it's interesting how the maintenance schedules got "streamlined."

Good luck.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,693
    Gotcha. Yeah you're right about that.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    I got a notice in the mail today re a class action suit re rear control arms, for the '99-'06 3 Series. It said owners may be eligible to either have the control arms replaced by a dealer, or be reimbursed if they have already done so. Something to look for in the mail if that applies to you.
  • jscholderjscholder Posts: 24
    I also had problem with my 2001 330 ci and it turned out to be the wires were broken in the cable harness from the trunk. My trunk light was also out and my rear middle tail light was out due to faulty wires. It started with the trunk release not working.
  • jscholderjscholder Posts: 24
    Any contact information so that I can look into this problem?
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,965
    The notice I got was about rear subframe failure... Shock mounts actually tearing away from the body of the car..

So far, it looks like the only payoff is reimbursement for any previous repair work, or inspection to see if you have the problem.

Neither of our two E46s had the problem, and we don't have either of them now, so I tossed the notices.

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kominskykominsky Posts: 850
    I got the same notice... subframe. In addition to inspection, they will repair if damaged. I still have my '01 (155K and climbing!). I don't ~think~ I have the problem.. it seems like it would be noticable... but I will get mine inspected when/if the suit settles.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,631
    Yes, subframe, thanks for the correction. I had control arms on the brain when I typed the post from a different car. I tossed my notice also since I don't have the E46 anymore. But as for contact info, I would think a search on google etc. would find that pretty quick--these attorneys want to be found.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Posts: 284
    Presumably the case has settled. That's why you got the notice.