Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hal56hal56 Posts: 94
    question:

'08 335 with key fob and comfort access entry.

Should be able to keep fob in pocket and be able to unlock and then open door simply by placing hand on door handle.

About 75% of time that does not work. Dealer saying that they cannot find anything wrong and it must be other radio frequency interference. I say BS.

My other car-a Lexus--works perfectly.

But what do the folks here say? Does the hand on door handle/no fob work most of the time or not?

TIA
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    The RF interference sounds like BS to me.

I have never had a problem with a similar type key FOB on my Infiniti G37S. Only difference from what you described is that I have to push a button on the door once the FOB is in range, not just place a hand on the door handle. But, it has always worked.

The problem could be the remote, or it could be the sensor in the door handle - some sort of capacitive sensor, I would guess. Did you try it with the other door? What about the trunk?
  • qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 58
    I also have a 335i with Comfort access and I'd say it works for me all the time. Try the passenger side door to see if it works better. You can then possiblly rule out the whole system and focus on just the driver side door. Also, you should be able to lock all doors simply by placing a finger on the top of the door handle on either the driver or the passenger side door. If that works, it may just be a defective sensor on the inner side of the handle that unlocks the door.

Good luck,
    I'll have to try passenger door.

I also have the convertible and all too often the trucnk will not lift when I get close using the "touch" method. So I think its system based.

The dealer is a problem, I think.

Last year I had a problem at stop lites where when I took foot off brake the car lurched forward. No findable problem said the dealer 4-5 times., Then took a drive with chief mechanic and he saw/felt the problem--software update fixed the problem.

which all tells me the guys are lazy even at BMW.
  • Sounds like routine BMW service to me. If the computer doesn't tell them what to do, they can't troubleshoot the problem. I had a 100K maintenance agreement with BMW and they did alright with routine service, but anytime something less than simple needed fixing they were totally helpless. Truthfully, they broke as much as they fixed. I fought with Roseville BMW for over 18 months, when they broke the clockspring in my steering column, which disabled the drivers airbag and some of the switches in the steering wheel. Best I was able to get out of them was they only charged me half of the $1500 they wanted to fix what they broke. The clockspring broke after they removed and replaced the steering column to fix the ELS. I would have tried fixing it myself except I wouldn't have been able to reset the airbag fault without taking it to them, and they won't reset what they don't repair. I had to wait until I could get a manual before I could try to prove to them that they had broken the clockspring. That's another thing, I couldn't get a manual for a 2006 325i until October 2009! What kinda crap is that? My 100k agreement has expired and I'll be damned if I'll ever let another dealer service department touch my car. I'm lookin for an independent shop in the Sacramento area for the few things I can't handle. Anybody knows any good independents within 50 miles of Sacramento, I'd appreciate it if they could pass it on to me. BMW service departments suck big time. I've tried three different dealerships and wasn't impressed by any of them. I been wrenchin for over 45 years and I know when someone knows what they are doing and they damn sure don't!. I've maintained, troubleshooted, and repaired computers and other electronic systems, mechanical, electric, electromechanical, hydraulic, pneumatic, refrigeration, vacuum and hi vacuum systems. So, I'm not just talkin out my [non-permissible content removed], like their service writers.
    Paddy:

one problem about BMW vs say Lexus--is that BMW owners are a bit more anal about our cars and performance--expectations run high in both circumstances--

But some of the attitude I see in BMW service reminds me of the Buick, Pontiac, Chevy , Chrysler attitude of years ago.

And I have taken in cars for service across the country.

The entire thing is difficult to explain--if i gave my customers the same attn level I get from car dealers in general, the clients would fire me in a NY minute
  • On the flipside I've had 3 BMWs the past 7 years and my service experience has been very good. Very good. Polite, they try to fix issues, they give me updates and overall I feel BMW dealers in my area and BMW NA are exceptional at listening to customers. I love working with BMWNA and BMWFS as both are top notch when it comes to professionalism.

This weekend I'll probably buy my 4th BMW and I'm not going to hesitate even though my third is a :lemon: . It happens. The dealer and the manufacturer were classy about it and I can't say those kind of positive things about other manus I've owned in the past.
    ok--I will flipside you:

On my second trip to my dealer I go to pick up my car when I see it driving out of the service bay driven by a couple of kids.

The service dept gave my car to the wrong party--the kids were picking a car up on behalf of someone else--they were thriiled to be getting a 335 HTC-as far as the door.

I undertand there is good and bad service and skiiled and not so skilled people--
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    That story reminds me of one I read in the papers, about a kid who worked at the airport and drove a forklift into the belly of a 747. His last quoted remark was "This isn't going to go on my record, is it?" :P

GEEZ, that dealer needs to tighten up a bit.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    and what pray tell will the 4th one be? Another 335i?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• Probably a 328i. The 335i is totally gone for me. They took today and gave me a check.

Tried the 10 GTI, TDI and Mazda3. G37/G35. X3 and 525/528. I like the 3 with ZSP the most. I drove one tonight and I really find the balance of the car ideal compared to the 335i. Can't explain it except that the 335i does weigh a couple hundred more and I can never seem to get the car set for a corner the way I can a 328. I've found two in irvine and I'm waiting to hear back on my offers (also found two locals in non-black but the dealers are fairly inflexible on pricing here and sadly one is a pretty stripped red one).
  • I was driving home today from work and my 2009 BMW 328i started losing power. The car went from 80 to zero in about 5 seconds while I was still pressing the gas pedal. The check engine light came on and when I tried to restart the car it started shaking. I know nothing about cars but I do no there is no way a 2009 BMW with 10,000 miles on it should be losing power on the road. I am highly pissed. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be wrong? I dropped off my car at the night drop off area and am waiting to rip my dealership a new one. There is no excuse for what happened today
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,682
    Suggestion: don't rip your dealership a new one. They didn't design the car, they didn't build the car. But they can help you get it fixed. They're more likely to want to help you if you treat them as you would like to be treated.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,407
    Congrats on getting rid of your lemon CPO 335i - I guess they don't check those cars out as much as they say they do.

I trust you are happy with the settlement.

The 328 is a sweet car. It doesn't have the cajones of the 335i, but it is a great motor that you just have to push to get to the sweet spot. I'm sure it is great with the 6 speed manual/sports package that you'll get. My Mom has an '08 328xiA that I think is a blast to drive, even saddled with the slushbox & extra weight of AWD.

Good luck my friend & please keep us posted.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• be nice to your dealer. It's not the dealer's fault. It's probably something simple to fix. The 328i isn't know for failures like this.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,666
    When a sensor goes off, the engine goes into limp mode... It's an engine protection feature.

Most of the time, it's just a bad sensor.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• xeyexeye Posts: 162
    I've had my '07 335xi since '07/'07. I had read about BMW speedometers being inaccurate (under) by 2-4 mph, but didn't believe it. After all, how could a BMW be anything but Germanic precision and accuracy? I recently installed a Garmin 765T GPS. With the cruise control set at 67 mph (digital readout as it engaged) on flat reasonably straight highway, the Garmin read a consistent 63-64 mph. This would seem to confirm the original post I'd read a couple of years ago. I have the original rims and ContiProContact tires, and inflation is spot on at 33 front/36 rear.

Which one would you think is more accurate? My plan is to find a measured mile, ideally somewhere in the Metrowest Boston area, and clock the speed on repeated time trials. If I lived in Utah, I'd try the Bonneville Salt Flats. Now, THAT would really be a lot of fun.

Any thoughts?
  • Xeve,

I recently sold my 2007 328i and experienced the same results when compared to my Garmin. Makes no sense to me.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,238
    is bang-on. You can take that to the bank.

BMWs are known for having dead-accurate odometers & speedometers that read high.

It must be a feature.
  • skobolaskobola Posts: 207
    I believe that it is not only for BMWs but for any other car that the actual speed is less than shown on the speedometer due to "tire diameter variations due to temperature, pressure, vehicle load, and nominal tire size" (see Wikipedia, Speedometer, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speedometer). Also, this helps police if they catch you speeding, because any excuse of not actually driving fast and/or being aware that you were driving fast would be inaccurate as your speedometer was actually showing a higher than the actual speed, so you should have been pretty aware that you were driving at a higher speed. I believe that in US, the allowed overage is 5 mph, so where a speed limit is 40 mph, you can freely drive at 45 mph, which would be about 48-49 mph on the speedometer. However, as it is very difficult to know the exact speedometer's error, if one drives 45 mph per the odometer, no police should stop you, because the actual speed would be about 42 mph, which is well in the allowed/tolerated speed overage.