Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    My Mom actually has an '08 328xi that she despises (too small,tiny trunk,terrible ride...nothing major). Anyway, she is thinking about a leftover E60 5 series. I spoke to my service advisor (who's the assistant service manager) about the N54 engine and its HPFP problems. He said too many have been brought in for fuel pump issues. If she likes the 528, then go with that.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• No HPFP on a 328i. That engine is fantastic compared to the N54. I still can't trust the N55.

As for Audi. We've had both and I'll stick with BMW when it comes to reliability and maintenance. With our BMWs everything gets fixed. With our Audi they refuse to fix anything under warranty always claiming the problems as normal wear and tear.
  • ursamajorursamajor Posts: 124
    One disconcerting occurrence: I had an annual service, with the "full computer scan" 20 days prior to the engine light warning coming on Jan 1. Amazing that the BMW dealer couldn't detect the longer crank time, and other early waning signs. They seem to be totally dependent upon what the computer tells them. Yes, they replaced the fuel pump promptly the next morning, but do any of the authorized garages really know what they're doing?

If my 2008 335xi is "repurchased" (actually the lease would be terminated early), I am considering a 2010 328xi, which I would have to order. There are no xi s in Los Angeles, although after recent heavy rains, the AWD is very comforting, and more rain is on the way. The comment by Romboggie refers to his 2009 328i, not a 2010. I wonder if BMW has cured the fuel problem R refers to in the newest model. Can't seem to get an answer except that the 328 clearly doesn't have a HPFP and twin turbo, so if the car limps in 2010, the undiagnosed problem hasn't been reported.

My understanding is that the 2010 3s were not introduced until about three months after the normal Sept.-Oct. rollout. I would like to stay with a reliable BMW, as I agree, the driving experience is superior. I will shelve the Audi idea for now. I would like a defintive answer to this series 3 fuel issue, however. Remember, a rep at N.A. told me that ALL of the 3s have a fuel delivery problem--that in response to my thought about getting out of the 2008 335xi, a flawed car, and into a new 2010 328xi lease. It's too early to have any data on the 2010s, I'm certain, so perhaps this question cannor be answered yet.
    I'm going to check prices and MF on the 2010 tomorow to see what a scale-down to a 328xi, nicely equipped, would cost, leaaed..

Any input here is appreciated.
  • srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    we do not put a lot om milage on it the dealer told us that we had to pay for the battery replacement because we didn't drive sufficient miles to recharge i

That sounds like a lot of crap to me. I have no problems with the battery discharging on any of my low annual miles vehicles. How often do you drive it?
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,016
    blueguydotcom:

This is a bit OT, but my local dealer has a CPO 128i stick. It's optioned out a bit weird- just Xenons, Comfort Access, and Premium Sound. If it also had SP and CWP it would already be in my garage...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• I need a replacement catalytic converter in my '96 BMW 328i. Any recommendations for one other than the BMW part that lists for $2200?
  • Do you have an independent BMW repair shop in your area? You should also join the BMW Club of America for tech tips, parts info and discounts!
  • millwood0millwood0 Posts: 451
    "Every older car I have with an analog speedo has been dead on. Completely accurate."

it could just be bad luck.

speedos are known to be engineered to show a reading higher than the actual speed.

but once in a while, they will crank out defective ones that actually show an accurate reading. and sounds like you got a few in a row.

here is a way to check: get the cruise control engaged, and take a gps with you. compare the speed readings on the gps with that on your speedo and you will know how accurate your speedo really is.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,892
    Mind you, this is just one of the choices I came up with in my 3-minute search:
    Here is a direct bolt-on replacement for $517.
    You could also visit a muffler shop and they could weld in a universal replacement.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,106
    Don't know what kind of time you have, but EVERY BMW around here (NY/NJ/CT) is an X Drive model. If you've got time, you could fly out here & drive your car back to CA.

roadburner: How many miles were on the 128i & what were they asking for it?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

How many miles were on the 128i & what were they asking for it?

17,700 miles
    $26,950

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• That is an odd setup. You can probably get it for a song though.
  • Does the car have any warning message (besides not able to start) on the dash/idrive for it? Car has 81k miles (gets highway usage) runs fine but just wondering if there is any preventive maint. required or runs till it dies?

Also how much would it cost to replace the battery, and anything else to replace at the same time as battery?
    just wondering if there is any preventive maint. required or runs till it dies?

You could top up the water in the older BMW batteries but they've been sealed for a few years now. About all you can do now is have the battery load tested. It may die slowly or overnight, it's hard to say.

Also how much would it cost to replace the battery, and anything else to replace at the same time as battery?

A BMW battery will cost over $200. I'd go with the Interstate MTP-H6, which costs @$165. Nothing else needs to be replaced.

• ursamajorursamajor Posts: 124
    Buyback approved Friday, 1/29. N.A. rep called and e-mailed confimation that they will refund 100% of my lease payments minus a “usage component” pursuant to the CA lemon law. Since I only had 6000mi at the time of the first HPFP failure, the usage will be about $ 2100 vs. approx. $ 15k refunded, net of about $ 13K. Now that I have further enquired and driven the “alternatives,” I’m actually thinking about leasing a 2010 328xi, to be ordered. I am satisfied that the N54 is the problem, and a x28 is a different design.

N.A. will wait for me to receive an ordered vehicle, taking eight weeks, and refund those lease payments made prior to delivery, as well as the annual registration coming up this week, which is about $ 500. I could then deliver the lemon to the dealer from which I am leasing the new Bimmer. Can’t ask for more reasonable treatment than that. My previous disgust with BMW for not acknowledging the x35 problems has been relieved by the courteous, flexible and expditious treatment. Still not certain about leasing a 328xi due to the high money factor, but if they lower it while it’s in transit from Germany, I get any dealer incentives and/or reduced money factors despite a locked rate at the time of order (terms of lease are not going to be worse, only better). That’s also very fair. Clearly, BMW is trying to recover hundreds of millions somehow, and they are apparently jacking the money factor to what amounts to an A.P.R. of 5.28%; a new Audi A4 money factor comes to 1.08% A.P.R.! Could lease a 3 series coupe for lower M.F. but I prefer a sedan for the convenience and passenger room.

I should post this to the lease forum, I think, but this HPFP problem appears here often, resulting in a repurchase, and customers like me always lease.
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    I'm glad they did the right thing by you. Same thing that happened to me with my 08 335i sedan.
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.eea1744/4358#MSG4358

God I miss that car! Actually wanted to lease another 335i but they didn't offer me good rates..so I bought a 2010 Mustang GT to hold me down in this shacky economy.

I'd be hard pressed to buy another BMW ever again, but if the next 3 series is as good as the 335i..or better, I'll probably lease that or buy a CPO 06 997 911S.

:shades:

Joseph
    San Diego
  • rflrfl Posts: 100
    Hi...my 2008 335xi (leased with 11 months to go on the lease) is now in the shop getting it's THIRD hi-pressure fuel pump. Two of the failures occured in what I would call "catastrophic" conditions...that is at 80 miles per hour on turnpikes and the car just DROPPED DEAD. Once in Florida, once near home. BMW has replaced the pump three times. In Pennsylvania where I live and bought the car the Lemon Law is 3 strikes and you're out. What I want to know is what can I expect BMW to do(without me having to sue them). I WILL NOT EVER drive this car again (if necesary I will just leave it at the dealer and fight about the $$. Would like to avoid a lawsuit but will pursue it if I have to. I would be willing (if they act responsibility) to buy another BMW (one without the turbo-charged, fuel-pump issue engine. Can I expect $$ back? If so how much on a lease. I'm not really interested in busting them on this...I just do not want this car anymore and am actually thinking about keeping the loaner (an X3) until they decide what to do with me. I'm not generally a litigious guy...but between this and the rancid run-flat tire issue and am tiring of my 6th BMW. Help !!
  • xeyexeye Posts: 162
    RFL,

I really hope your situation works out. For whatever it's worth, the BMW 335 is not a bad choice. My '07 335xi has been nothing but a dream (purchased August '07 new, now ~27,000 miles). With one exception of a worn right-front wheel bearing that was replaced under warranty with no issue, AND a free oil cooler (after I questioned why the 17" wheel version xi didn't arrive stock with the cooler but the 18" version did), I wouldn't hesitate, based on my experiences to either keep mine beyond the 4 years warranty. I would consider trading it in for another newer model, but better the (benevolent) devil you know than the devil you don't, right?

Curious: How high do you rev the engine? Manual or slush-box?

Good luck.
  • jmarounjmaroun Posts: 139
    rfl,

no need to be litigious, I believe you have legitimate concerns about safety as well as from a hassle and even performance point of view, it is your right under the law. :lemon: Lemon Laws to be specific, and your car qualifies for sure if you've had three replaced fuel pumps in such a short period! Check your state's exact qualifications..there are even phone numbers you can get online, where you can talk to a lawyer for free and get advice in seconds!

I'd recommend you to just call bmw and speak politely to customer relations. Tell them the deal, tell them you're not satisfied with the car due to safety concerns and want out of the car since your car is a lemon. You should get all your money back in full (minus usage miles accumulated up to the first reported instance of fuel pump failure). It really sounds like your car is Legally a lemon..and you have a right to return it..no questions asked or else you can sue (I believe). Hopefully, you won't need to go there.

For me, it was surprisingly easy. I had no clue about lemon laws. BMW actually called me. I filled out a questionare survey, after having a fuel pump replaced and I voiced my concerns about the car in writing. A customer relations representative from BMW called me a few days later!! To my shock, she proposed the buy back after offering several other options that I was not satisfied with. I learned why later on, only after some research..I did not realize that my car was technically on verge of being a lemon since I've already replaced 2 fuel pumps and the third was starting to go already after a couple weeks of replacement!!.

So, just call BMW, be polite, follow the rules (don't keep the X3 loaner or anything like that)..
    Chances are, they will do right by you as they have to me..but who knows. Last words of advice and wisdom to you is that if they do decide to buy back your lease..enjoy the 335 now as much as you can because, I can tell you after learning the hard way..there is NO other car out there for the money that comes remotely close to what a 335 can offer. Lesser 3's and even the m3 lack low end torque. Unfortunately, I believe, even the 135 suffers from hpfp failures. Other cars lack in handling, steering feel, and precission, throttle response...you name it. The 335 is truely a beautifull machine. If only it did not suffer from this serious issue, I would have kept my beatiful manual 08 e90 335i with sports package. :) So enjoy your 335i while you still got her and good luck with your situation.

Joseph
    San Diego
  • we drive it almost every day.