Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Have same issue with my 2006 330xi driver's door. I use the key to unlock now.
    Most likely it's the door actuator failure and I believe it was $600+ to repair.
    It also won't lock with the central lock button in the car.
  • piterpiter Posts: 1
    hey it's probably a stupid question but i just picked up my 330xi and as you stated it says "and wait for the service reminder to dissapear. " is this normal that's what happens ?? because i hope there is something wrong with the car . do you own 3-series yourself ?? thanks piotr
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,015
    Are you saying that the reminder doesn't go out?

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Dealer maintenance prices are outrages in comparison with private garages.
    Resently I changed the oil and filter and changed the brake fluid + complete car inspection at Bavarian Motors garage for $144. They let me watch what they were doing.
    Dealer price was more than $300.
    Lehrer1
  • rflrfl Posts: 100
    I have owned 7 BMW's. If it is NOT covered under warranty, I wouldn't get near a dealer service deparment. I even have my state inspections done elsewhere.
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    I am with you. Dealer maintenance prices are as stupid as an idea of RFT.
    Dealer maintenance prices are outrages in comparison with private garages.

It really depends on the dealer. My local dealer(Swope BMW, Louisville KY) provides excellent service at extremely reasonable prices. Here are a few examples of service costs for my wife's 2004 X3 2.5:
    ATF and Transfer case fluid change(I don't believe in "lifetime" fills): $207
    Oil Service(AKA 15K service)+coolant flush: $128
    Inspection I(30K service)+brake fluid flush+wiper blades: $302
    Inspection II(60K service)+brake fluid flush+repair curbed LF wheel: $424
    That said, I also use an excellent independent BMW shop(Performance Specialties) for service on my 1975 2002 and 1995 318ti when I don't have time for DIY.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• Also the dealer is supposed to know what they're doing. I'm not a big fan of going to an indy shop that says 'German motors", under the assumption that all German cars are the same for some reason---they certainly are not. A superb Mercedes mechanic could totally screw up an Audi, for instance.
    Now...remember...we're talking about a larger market---suburban Philadelphia to be exact:

Local garage---owned and operated by two fine Italian mechanics (from Sicily) with 60 years of "foreign car" experience: All of the latest bells and whistles for electronics on ALL late model vehicles.... they also sell gas and ONLY pump it for you same price...no self serve.Granted... the loaner if you need one (at no charge by the way) might be a Pinto!

Oil change with Mobil 1, filter(non OEM,,,, a filter is a filter)... $60. Coolant flush? Why in heaven's name would you ever flush coolant? Toilet need flushing...coolant is like luggage... it lasts FOREVER!

Repair curbed left front wheel (me too!)...$85.

State Inspection including (damn them) the emissions inspection $89.

I have found that quality does not necessarily relate to price charged.

I am satisfied to be ripped off when I buy a BMW...damned if I'll tolerate it for service too.
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,641
    edited October 2010
    The basic coolant doesn't ever wear out, you are completely right about that, but the rust and corrosion inhibitors in that coolant do most certainly wear out---and that's why you flush.

I also agree with most of what you say, except :surprise: "a filter is a filter".

It has been my experience, and that of my friends who specialize in German cars, that a cheapo off-brand filter can cause problems.

If you see a shop about to install a "Mrs. Fields Oil Filter" in your car, leap across the room and knock it from their hands, please. (no offense, Ms. Fields--just a joke).
    should have prefaced my message by telling you that I usually don't keep keep a BMW out of warranty, have never put more than 10m per year on any of them so coolant should not get dirty. I do like the oil changed every winter/summer season and BMW will only pay for one of them...so in the off-change I use the Mrs. Fields Oil filters(good enough for 5000 miles). They double as a great chocolate-chip cookie when you are finished with them!
  • I know you probably won't believe me (and I didn't believe this either until I saw it demonstrated) but you can actually get an Audi V-6 to misfire by installing a Ms. Field's oil filter. How is this possible? It somehow disrupted sufficient oil pressure to the hydraulic valve lifters at idle speeds

Okay, how about a Frau Feld's oil filter at least?
    Think FRAM !
    have never put more than 10m per year on any of them so coolant should not get dirty.

Coolant is not replaced because it gets "dirty"; it is replaced because the corrosion inhibitors lose their effectiveness and the coolant pH becomes acidic.

Think FRAM !

I have to assume you are joking- I can't believe you'd be that naive. I once checked out an STP filter that supposedly fit the M54 in my wife's X3. The pitiful thing was stamped "Made in Malaysia" and cost $10.49. The BMW(Mann) filter cost $7.49. As far as I am concerned, if the filter is not made by Mahle/Knect or Mann it is not going to be installed on any of my BMWs.

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,104
    The auto parts store I buy the Royal Purple from for my Prelyde ONLY carries MANN filters.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• You're scarin' me, man.... :surprise:
    I won't even run Fram filters on my 1999 Wrangler.
    Meh...

• :sick: Is there a how-to maintenance book or if anyone has some instructions, can you please email me one:

1) Brake flush
    2) Power steering flush
    3) Replace gasket between oil filter housing and engine block
    The best BMW service manuals are published by Bentley.

• Bentley manuals are very good and the only ones I recommend buying. You can also subscribe for a year to ALLDATA DIY, an online database. I believe it's $29 bucks for the entire year for one car, and that'll tell you how to do most things, in detail. (www.alldatadiy.com).