Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• bimmer4mebimmer4me Posts: 266
    Thanks, still a little confused. I shouldn't be to concerned right? :D
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,418
    Oh I was wondering if iDrive gives you a different reading.

I don't even care if my car's dipstick says 1/4 of a quart low, as long as I know that's what it is.

I believe, if the sensor were bad, there is an error message built right into your system to alert you to that.

I suppose you could add just a smidge of oil to see if the reading changes. I suspect they don't measure the oil level in 1/10ths so adding a harmless little bit might just kick it over the top.

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,301
    I'd just ignore it.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• 2006 330xi

Sat. radio was working fine before I left on a 2 weeks vacation.
    So happens the annual bill is due and Sirius disconnected my Sat.
    I went online and paid the annual fee but I cannot re-activate it.

Tried parking it outside and while driving on different days. They tried to re-send the signal, and I tried using online resend activation.

On iDrive Sat. menu I am not getting any preview channel sound.
    It has all my previous channels and presets, but the bottom of idrive displays the first channel on the preset even though I tried to set it to 189 Weather (or any other channel). There is no "acquiring..." message anywhere.
    There are no other options I see that can change.
    The main screen displays my EIN and to call 1888 xxx Sirius.

FM/AM works fine.
  • nepropneprop Posts: 41
    I have a convertible E46 model and I recently replaced my battery. This model has 5 window controls - 2 for the front, 2 for the rear and 1 for all 4 up or down at the same time. Since my battery replacement the window control that is supposed to raise or lower all four windows at the same time only lowers or raises the front 2 windows.

There must be some sort of reset process to get the electronics aligned after a battery replacement. Everything worked perfectly before the battery replacement and everthing else is working perfectly since. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    Try this with each window switch and then with the main 4 window switch

Ignition on, all doors closed.

Window all the way down
    Release switch.
    Press and hold switch all the way down for 10 seconds.

Window all the way up.
    Release switch.
    Press and hold switch all the way up for 10 seconds.

Ignition off.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• uncletouncleto Posts: 45
    My wife turned on the a.c. light was on but no air coming from the vent. check the knob and it was in the I position. open the hood and cleaned the micron filter. the a.c fan is turning. what could be the problem. many thanks!
    You might check to see if the AC compressor clutch is engaging at all. As someone switches the AC on and off, you should be able to see, with the hood open, that the front of the compressor "clicks" and then engages the drive belt.

• qaliqali Toronto CanadaPosts: 58
    I have a 2011 328i x-Drive sedan with Premium sound system. I know how to calibrate the sound level for an iPod and the volume level to car speed sensitivity, however, my question is there a way to change how much volume changes when the volume knob is turned or the volume buttons on the steering wheel are pressed? I find that I have to turn the knob quite a lot (or press the button many times) for an appreciable increase/decrease in sound volume. In my previous 2007 335i this was not an issue.

Thanks in advance.
    I finally have air on my vent, just cleaned the micro filter w/ some dirt and a leaf blocking the in one of the hole leading inside the car. no need the check for the fuse. the a.c is working also. Many thanks!
    Oh, so it was actually working but blocked in the vents? Musta been a lot of gunk in there! Well glad you got that figured out. Keep an eye on it.

• wzhao68wzhao68 Posts: 15
    Hi there,

I have a 2006 BMW 330i, the oil light has come on and off lately, even just 5 months after an oil change. It indicated "+1qrts", so I added a quart, then it indicated the oil level all the way to 2/3 or 3/4 full. Has anybody seen something like this? Do I have a faulty oil indicator or it's normal?
    Thanks,

David
    Some BMW inline fours and sixes consume oil, others don't. No big deal, really. How many miles did you drive before the light came on?

Yes! was an easy fix and try to keep an eye on it. But another trouble came up! wife told me a check engine light came on today. had my generic OBD scan tool and read P0128 code. im gonna search the net for this code. if anybody had experience this same code will you pls. let me know and what kind of work has to be done. Many thanks again guys.
    P0128= Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature

Your thermostat has failed in the open position; it's a simple repair.

Thanks! just got back from my mechanic and confirm my findings. his gonna do the thermostat. wish i can do it myself but its kinda tight with the fan on the way. there goes my state refund! thanks again guys for your inputs.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,676
    Evidently, took a rock to my fog light lens.. Hole with radiating cracks, though the light still works...

So... you can't replace the lens! :mad: I have to buy the whole foglight assembly.... $130 list... About $106 shipped to the house from BMW parts discounter...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• nepropneprop Posts: 41
    Roadburner, thanks for your advice. I tried what you said but it did not solve my situation. Had my car in for routine maintenance at my local mechanic and they addressed the problem. Don't know what they did as I was traveling, but when I find out I'll post for the community to read.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 27,676
    Took my 2006 330Ci coupe, performance package, 6-speed into the dealer for an acceleration issue.... It's CPO...

When I hit around 4000 RPM, I get a hesitation or stumble... that doesn't clear up until I'm around 4500... Turns out there is a TSB.. Unfortunately, if no parts need to be replaced, it isn't a warranty item.. The DME needs to be re-flashed, but they can't do it at the dealership... for this TSB, they have to remove the DME, ship it to BMW in NJ, have it updated, then sent back and re-installed.. $530 total.. :cry:

Not that this isn't bad enough.... they do their normal maintenance checks, and my right rear tire is 5 lbs psi lower than the rest... so, upon inspection, they find a nail in the tread.. Unfortunately, just about an inch in from the edge.. They can't patch it.. Quote for a new tire, mounted and balanced is $450! Even from TireRack it's $312..

Stopped by the local tire chain store, to see if they would attempt a patch.... no dice.

Next stop is at my local independent tire shop.... worth giving it a try...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    Frankly, something sounds a bit suspicious. If the car is under CPO warranty and the software needs to be refreshed, I would expect that to be covered under the CPO warranty. After all, how could the owner cause that to be necessary, unless aftermarket modifications were implemented?

I also don't quite understand why the local dealer can't reflash the DME.

Just sounds a bit strange to me...