Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,207
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for posting the outcome. Good to hear how these things turn out. Also sounds like you're willing to cut the moron inexperienced person who screwed it up in the first place a decent deal -- you're a reasonable guy.

Good luck with your car and your newly-found shop!
  • After much research and reading decided to step into a 2011 335i sedan M sport package, Harman Kardon, Navigation, Heated front seats, Premium Package, Sirius satellite radio, etc, etc, etc....MSRP $54,500

I've only owned Japanese cars and trucks because I beleive in reliability and these vehicles never rank well.

The 335i runs fantastic and blows away most sedans gives most sports cars a run for the money. Options drive the price up quickly and the fact that you have to purchase the leather interior is just plain tacky in this price range.

The vehicle just had an engine malfunction light turn on while on the freeway with the family! The car has 11,112 miles on it. Any other owner comments or similar experiences?
  • graphicguygraphicguy SW OhioPosts: 6,896
    You're well within the warranty period. Take it to the dealership and see what they say.

It could be anything. The dealer has the equipment to read the codes for the fault.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    edited February 2012
    as I believe we projected (collectively, anyway). oil AND a blown head gasket. definitely explains it all.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

edited February 2012
    what is an engine malfunction light? If you mean the check engine light, it actually has nothing to do with the engine these days. If you look in your owner's manual, and it is the light I think it is, it will tell you it is not urgent and just to take it in when you can. It may even go out on its own before then. It is simply an emissions-related malfunction that may or may not have been a temporary glitch, such as the gas cap not being completely tightened.

• Most of the time that my car tells me there is a problem.... it's a bad sensor, and there actually is no problem...

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• every BMW should have an engine light reset button on the dash, for all the false warnings they give. My MINI (BMW born and built) gives me stored codes at every oil change and there's simply nothing wrong.
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,019
    Now my only dilemma is how to explain to the first mechanic that in large part, his inexperienced ambition cost me some real cash. Fortunately I still owe him for the majority of the work he did that caused the problem. I won't stick him with the whole bill, I'll cover any cash he layed out for parts but I'm hoping he'll see the error of his ways and negotiate down the original bill to help cover the cost of getting the car back on the road.

He'd better; you essentially paid him to learn how NOT to work on BMWs. I'm glad you were able to finally get the problem resolved.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

I've only owned Japanese cars and trucks because I beleive in reliability

You mean like my Japanese SUV that required a new head gasket at 60,000 miles?
    Or perhaps you were referring to my Japanese daily driver, which set more fault codes in 60,000 miles than my last three BMWs(which have/had a combined mileage of 380,000 miles).

The vehicle just had an engine malfunction light turn on while on the freeway with the family! The car has 11,112 miles on it. Any other owner comments or similar experiences?

As gbrozen pointed out, all you are dealing with is a CEL(Check Engine Light). It could be something as simple as a loose fuel filler cap. You have a warranty(and you should also have access to a BMW loaner), so just take it to the dealer.

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    Or my Japanese sports coupe that required a $2000.00 clutch replacement @ 52,000 miles?

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• I am sort of new at this. Can you tell me what is the function of a micro filter and where is it located in a BMW 328 xi 2008. The dealership is charging me 200 to replace it. My car is out of warranty and needs oil, and brake fluid change.

Can someone tell me if I can change the microfilter myself.
  • The engine malfunction light displayed on the Navigation screen with a long note that read the engine can run at reduced performance. Contact the BMW dealer immediately. The car basically "shutdown". I tried to give it gas and the car shook. I was going fast enough to coast to the next off ramp, but the engine shut off and the car lost all power. It wa not a very safe feeling. It was not just an egine light on the dash that went on. The car shutdown. Nothing was functioning. I had to call the dealer to get the phone number to BMW Assist and they sent a flatbed Tow truck. It was a pretty serious engine problem. Not just a dashboard light that illuminated.
  • The problem was that the car basically "shutdown" and stated on the Navigation screen "engine malfunction" vehicle can run at reduced output. Contact your BMW dealer immediately. The car actually shutdown. I had to coast it to the next offramp. There were no working functions on the car. At first the engine was still running so I gave it a little gas, however the whole car started shaking and then the engine shutoff completely. I could not even get the Menu to operate. I had to call the Dealer to get the BMW Assist phone number. I have never in my 35 years of driving had a car's engine shutoff on the freeway while driving at 65 mph?!
  • You are absolutely right that it is well within the warranty period, however it just really bugs me that a new car in that price range had a malfunction that caused the engine to shutdown...... and I mean literally turn off. If you live in Southern California you know how dangerous a situation that would be, or in any state for that matter.
  • Don't get too worried, yet...

That doesn't necessarily mean that there is a serious problem. Just that a sensor detected a potentially serious problem. See above for my thoughts on sensors.

In 2003, I flew to Chicago to pick up a nearly-new 3-series for my wife.. on a Saturday.. She drove it to work on Monday. Called me at lunchtime and told me she was stranded. ("I told you it wouldn't be like a Honda" lol).

Flatbedded to the dealer... turned out to be a bad crankshaft position sensor.. no engine issues..

Good luck!

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• onemtonemt Posts: 2
    Hey skinhealer,

I also have a 2008 328 xi. You can locate the microfilter(used to clean air going into the car) underneath the hood directly under the wiper arms. Its a long, plastic piece with about 6 small screws. I ordered my filter from Mann for about $30, model HU 816x. Get a small wrench and you can replace it yourself in about 3 minutes.

I bought my own synthetic oil and filter for about $56.00. If you can get your car on a lift you can change it yourself. I took my car to a mechanic friend and he charged me $20, so it was a total of $106 for oil change and filter change. Also got rid of contipro run flats for winter Dunlops, huge improvement in comfort, but it is a little less sporty ride.
    That does suck.

But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer. Don't let it leave a bad taste in your mouth. Hopefully its a one-and-done issue and you won't continue to have problems.

Please let us know what the dealer finds out.

edited February 2012
    But, these things happen, and they happen to every model from every manufacturer.

Exactly. At 26,000 miles my Mazda began emitting huge billows of white smoke at idle- to the extent that you could not see the car behind you. One new turbo coming up! And right after that the LF strut blew out.
    Fortunately it was Japanese, so at least it was reliable...