Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    I'm cutting and pasting from a 3-series post I did about 2 years ago:

Refer to the August 2002 Roundel, Tech Talk, page 110.

"Lug-bolt torque for all BMWs has been revised by the factory. BMW-specified lug bolt torque for all models except the E53, E65 and E66 is now 120 +/- 10 Nm. For the E 53, E65 and E66, the BMW-specified lug bolt torque is 140 +/- 10 Nm."
  • ru777ru777 Member Posts: 28
    hi,
    Can anyone advise how useful you find the auto-dimming rear view mirrors ? Are they too dark ? Do you like the regular one, despite the glare ?

I am getting a 325xi with sport pkg instead of premium. -and was thinking of getting the auto-dimming mirrors installed. Would appreciate your feedback

thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,555
    I'm getting used to it... and I see some benefits, but I definitely wouldn't pay extra for it.. It is great for cutting down on glare, but you lose some detail on what is going on behind you... (Is that a roof rack or a light bar?).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx.
    So far the best offer i've got is $450 above invoice for 2005 325xi w/auto+sport+xenon.
    I thinks its good.
    Are bmw floor mats ALWAYS extra ?
    Technically, floormats are optional... You have to figure, that if you are getting them to do a "mini" profit deal, then they aren't going to include anything extra.. If you are at $450 over invoice on an '05, then you have done very well.. Just have to decide on what options you are willing to pay for..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kekskeks Member Posts: 6
    Have a 325ix wagon, has 35k never had the chance to rotate the tire. don't know if it's okay to rotate the tires w/out balancing it? need your imput guys...many thanks!!!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, well the definitive answer to your query is a definite maybe. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, "Gee thanks." ;-)

As a rule, BMW (the manufacturer) does not recommend that you rotate your tires at all. That said, your 325xi has basically the same rubber on it that I had on my 1999 328i, and were I to do it all over again, I would rotate them. In fact, when I got my 530i, I did just that. Regarding balancing the wheels, it is possible that you may be able to get away with not balancing, however, in the words of the old sage, "It don't cost much, an' them thar ferrin thangs have REAL expensive suspension parts which can wear faster with even a minor (as in cannot be felt at the vehicle/seat of the pants interface) imbalance."

I just took mine to my friendly neighborhood BMW/Import Car repair shop and paid him to balance them.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    I wouldn't bother.
  • wjc12345wjc12345 Member Posts: 10
    Greetings all -

I own a 2004 325i (owned it for about 6 months now) and I've noticed a little "quirk".

I live in the Northeast, and when I start the car up for the first time in the morning (or for the 1st time after a a few hours) the display on the radio/clock panel is almost unreadable. Slowly but surely (after about 10 minutes), some of the numbers start to creep back on the display - as if they are getting "warmed up". But before they get warmed up, looking at the display panel is like reading a fluorescent sign in the city that has a few of the letters burned out! (very frustrating). After about 15 minutes, all is fine. I'm wondering if this is a unique problem in cold weather areas, a fuse/electrical problem, or what. I'll definitely mention it on my first inspection, but I just don't know if the problem is worth taking my to the dealer for.

Any thoughts...anyone else experience this too?
    Thanks.
  • rascalerascale Member Posts: 19
    Yes, I have experienced this as well on my 2004 325i. This has been discussed on the bimmerfest.com forums as well. It is a "feature" on some cars apparently. My previous 2001 325ci did not do this. I have decided it is not worth having the dealer tear my dash apart to replace the display, but decide for yourself.
    Just one question.. Aren't your tires just about worn out at 35K? Unless you think you might get another 10K-15K miles out of them, I wouldn't bother to rotate now...

Plus, after 35K on the same axles, I have to think they have very different wear patterns.. You might get some serious vibrations from switching now..

I have to ask again.. after 35K, aren't at least the rears totally worn out?

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    The only time I have seen a problem like this was the radio display on my A4, and it would only do it if the car had been sitting outside in very cold weather (below 10F) all day. So temperature can affect these displays, but if yours is doing it in only mildly cold weather it seems like a warrantable complaint.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    When I turned my 1999 328i in at lease end it had ~40K miles on the clock and the front tires had an easy 20K miles (probably more like 30K) and the rears had between 10K and 15K of life left on them. I have no doubt that the 325xi Estate in question here has tires that would benefit from a rotation.

It is a fact that while the Sport Package tires that many of opt for are a while lot more fun than the standard All-Season rubber, said All-Season rubber will easily last two to three times longer.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks jaj
  • geneegenee Member Posts: 170
    My 2002 325i is just about due for the 60K "inspection." On other Bimmer sites, I find that this appears to be one of the biggest rip offs you can walk into. I can take it to an independent and have the plugs replaced, the brakes flushed, and the coolant swapped for a whole lot less than $700 - oil is not a problem life time changes were a part of the purchase deal.
  • drddodrddo Member Posts: 33
    I had the exact same problem with my radio when I picked up my new 325xi in June. The colder the morning, the more LCD lights would be out. I took it to the dealer and he installed a new radio, no questions asked and no problems since. -Drddo
  • wjc12345wjc12345 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for the feedback everyone...I'm going to bring this up the next time I'm at the dealership (for my 1st inspection/service.

Just a pet-peeve that I don't think we should have to put up with...plus - it sure makes for one ugly display when you are driving.
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I had my dash gauge display replaced by the dealer under warranty. Not because of a problem with the intensity of gauges, but because of a noise with the vacumm gauage (MPG). They had to replace the whole thing. I was concerned about them "ripping" my dash apart for such a small problem. They told me it was quite simple and not to worry. They were right, no problems or squeaks or rattles. The only problem was that it had about 30 extra miles on the odo when I picked it up. I asked them why, and they said they have to reset the mileage and they just must have made a mistake doing so. I still don't know if that was a true statement, or they just took my car for a joy ride.
    I'm betting joyride... Or a parts run.. or lunch date...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I had my dealership print out a list of all the services they perform for inspection II. I had the dealership do all the safety checks and the maintenance items I didn't want to tackle by myself. My total expenses were $357 to the dealership (that included $85 for an optional 4-wheel alignment) and ~$50 for the parts I needed to do my part of the work. I would imagine that price would have come down by going to a reputable independant.

The list of services my dealership printed out for me is titled:

BMW of North America, LLC
    2001 Models (except X5)
    Sevice Maintenance Checklist
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I took my car last week to have the winter tires put on and the shop noticed one of the rear coil spring was broken at the bottom, even though I haven't noticed any peculiar handling issues.
    Are there other services needed when both the rear coil springs are replaced? Both the front struts and rear shocks of this '94 325i were replaced last year, so I think the shocks will still be fine. Just want some advice when I take my car to the mechanic next week for the job. Thanks.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    We are beginning to see more E36s with broken rear springs. You might want to have your tech check the all of the rear suspension bushings as well as the anti-roll bar brackets and links.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    Thanks, as usual, for your suggestions. Is replacing the rear coil springs requires an alignments (four wheel) also as part the procedure?
    A rear end alignment should not be needed if the rest of the rear suspension components are in good shape. That said, it wouldn't hurt to check the rear suspension alignment in order to ensure that everything is within factory specs.
  • jajjaj Member Posts: 55
    Since taking delivery of my '04 325xi, the steering wheel has been slightly off-center in such a way that when I'm on going straight on an unbanked road, the wheel is turned a bit to the right. The dealership moved it one notch to the left but that overcompensated and was even more off that way so they put it back to its original position. It's a trivial thing yet it bothers me. Anyone out there with the same situation? Any suggestions?
    Any decent alignment shop can center the steering wheel; it only takes a few minutes of adjusting the tie rod ends.
  • bstimebstime Member Posts: 18
    Actually, I think your stalling problem is an early indication of bad ignition coils. Had the same problem on my 2003 325xi. There's a TSB about the ignition coils. On mine, it was not every time but definitely rough in cold weather. eventually, one cylinder just died. had BMW roadside flatbed it to dealer. they replaced all 6 coils per the TSB. less than 1/2 day overall.

The tranny thing is well known. First they replaced the trannies, then they did a software fix. now it's software or replacement based on severity, I think. Traced backed to trannies made for BMW by GM from memory.......
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Hello. I am 6'2" and heard that a clip can be removed at the back of a 5 series front seat to increase front leg room. Can this be done on a 2002 3 series also?
    Sign me,
    Cramped In Tampa
  • bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    I'm 6'3" and have tons of front seat leg room in my 3 series. In fact, this is the first car I have EVER owned in which I don't drive with the seat in the most rearward position. I've never heard of any kind of clip to adjust the seat in an E46. I've had my car for nearly 5 years.
  • designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    The link I mentioned in the other thread was posted by srfast in the BMW 5-Series Sedans thread, post #7591. Also, the website was bmwtips.com. Anyway, you will find the picture with simple instructions here. I agree with bmw323is that the 330 has tons of legroom. It certainly has more than the E39 530 before the clip is removed on the latter. But hey, if you’re cramped you’re cramped, it’s as simple as that. Good luck. Let’s hear if it is also on the 330.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/tips_pages/Drivers%20seat%20cl- - - - - - ip.htm
  • jamesspotjamesspot Member Posts: 57
    You shouldn't have a problem. The person behind you may be a different story, but the 3 series is one of the most comfortable driver's cars out there.
  • ponytrekkerponytrekker Member Posts: 310
    The clip is in the 5 series but not the 3. The 3 goes all the way back, farther than the 5 does. There are some DIYs on the WEB.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Thanks to all for the seat info. All I know is that I used to have a 1993 325i and the leg room was more generous than on the 2002 3 series. The seat was more comfortable too.
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Some may remember by post from last winter. I hit a pothole and "flat spotted" one of my winter rims. I had the Italia AT 16" wheels with Blizzak tires.

It was the end of Winter, so I put on the all-seasons and decided to deal with replacing the wheel in Fall. Well, Tire Rack has stopped selling this model and have switched to a similar model with a different finish. I really don't want to have 3 wheels with one finish and one with another.

Other than Ebay, does anyone know of a source for these wheels?

Thanks,
    Hans
  • karlavkarlav Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I posted for the first time on these in early November about a problem (retaining rainwater in the convertib le top well) and hadn't heard any discussion or responses. Does anyone know if convertible issues are discussed elsewhere or I've just hit a situation that no one else seems to have or have hard about?
  • davenj1davenj1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 330Cic. I've heard that oil consumption is normal...about a qt. every 4-5K miles. Mine started like that but the consumption is increasing...now down to about 1 qt. every 2500 miles. I'm concerned this may be evidence of an engine problem. Anyone else have this experience or any thoughts? Thanks.
    It's hard to say if that amount of oil consumption could indicate a problem. The consumption rate is well within the range that BMW considers normal. At 94000 miles the M42 four cylinder in my Club Sport averages a bit less than 4000 miles per quart, yet uses almost none if kept at a steady cruise of over 3000 rpm. The M52 in my wife's 111000 mile 5er uses less than 1/2 quart between 8000 mile changes. I did notice that my wife's car consumed a bit more oil when I used BMW's 5W-30 synthetic. I switched to Mobil 1 0W-40(which meets BMW's Longlife oil specs) and the oil consumption dropped back down to it's original level. In your case I would keep a close eye on the oil consumption rate. If the rate of consumption levels out above 2000 miles per quart I wouldn't worry about it.
  • bmwtombmwtom Member Posts: 5
    Having bought a new 325i in August, I was surprised to see 'my car' on a dealer lot in Winston Salem NC with the chrome trim around the side windows. I thought that trim was for 330's only. I again verified that the trunk lid had the 325i emblem, and it did. However, on closer inspection, I saw the car had the speedometer cluster tipped in white, like a 330, and the sticker was over 40K. The dealer said he had never seen an error like that...what a mix up somewhere. Thought it was funny, esp as much as BMW prides itself on quality.
  • kdogkdog Member Posts: 23
    I tried to use the BMW(2004 330i,1st year free) assist buttons today and nothing happened. The green light came on and flashed and flashed but still no operator came on. The radio screen displayed "BMW ASSIST" but nothing happended. While the light flashes. the stereo is disabled. After 3 hours, I called BMW assist via my cell phone. They couldn't turn it off on their end and advised me to see the dealer. I have used it once before and it worked. Has ANYONE seen or heard this before?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Did you check the engine to see if it was a 3.0? It is easy enough to add the chrome trim and the cluster cosmetics.

-Paul
  • bmwtombmwtom Member Posts: 5
    Yes, we checked the engine too. The car was a 330. Do you know anything about where I could get the trim and a price? Thanks.
  • teach3teach3 Member Posts: 23
    bmwtom and erikpl:

just out of curiosity: how do you tell just from opening the hood if the engine is a 3.0 or 2.5? I once asked a mechanic this question and he couldn't tell me (may say alot about him). My 330i has no marking on the engine or the hood that I can find -- are there any particular characteristics endemic to the 3.0 I should look for?
    Seriously, I thought there was a marking, but I haven't looked under the hood for any specific markings. Is there anything in the VIN that would indicate the engine? Time to go and check that...

-Paul
    Which trim are you wanting? The trim around the windows, the door trim, or what? You can try Circle or Pacific BMW's online sites and get a decent quote much below other dealers prices. Very competitively priced.

-Paul
    Go here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do?PHPSESSID=2ccd54307ca1411282- b746b6e52601c6
    Enter the last 2 letters and 5 digits of your VIN in the box. Your BMW will be identified down to the factory and line.
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    This is a question to any one of you savvy E46 owners, (brave,kyfdx, shipo, anyone). Ever since I bought my 330i ZHP, I've been curious of how is this central rear view mirror supposed to operate (not the side ones). The fact of the matter is that more than often I get a very courteous driver's high beams right on my rear, which is a real pain in my a.., but the freaking mirror does nothing to mitigate the glare so I end up ducking my head to avoid it. There's gotta be a better way. Can anyone explain if there's something I'm missing? BTW, my previous 01-325i had the same "problem". Never could harness the benefit of this auto-dimming feature.
    Are you sure you have it? Do you have the premium package.. On mine, it is too dim, if anything....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• cartalkcartalk Member Posts: 147
    I agree. The auto dimming mirrors are very dark on my 330i.
  • alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    I'm positive, my previous bimmer was a 325 w/premium; this one's a 330ZHP (I could swear having read as an included feature on the brochure).My dad used to have a Dodge Phoenix 500 which had this neat mirror that did move upon light hitting it..it kindv'dodged"the high beams..
    Now.. don't be mad at me... I'm looking at the '05 BMW price list.. I see auto-dimming rear-view mirror as part of the ZPP, but not the ZHP.

If you look at mirror-side of the mirror (you know, like you are looking in the mirror..lol), there is a little dot.. kind of a hole, about 1/4" across.... that is the sensor.. I'm thinking you don't have the auto-dimming mirror, if you don't have the premium package.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator