Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• algebraalgebra Posts: 7
    So this is what life with a bmw is like. Have had a 330xi for 2 days. Love the car, but. tonight I was backing into a parking space, when the engine suddenly started racing and the car started going back faster than was safe, and than I intended. I had ifficulty controlling the car. Depressed brake pedal, but that did not seem to stop it. Immediately shiifted into park and the car immediately stopped; thank god, since there were several people nearby. Took a while to regain my composure. Of course I'm going to the dealer on Monday. Today is Saturday. Besides describing the occurence, is there anything else I should discuss with him, like getting a different, new car. This one has 150 miles on it. Any responses from savy BMW people will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Algebra
  • algebraalgebra Posts: 7
    Hi Mchen 39084, and all interested parties.

Read my post of 3/13, #1636, entitled "unintended reverse acceleration". Sounds similar to your problem. Did they eventually discover the cause of your problem, and what was the cure.? Hope to hear from you or anyone else on this extremely important matter. Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    Yes.. easily... if not, then the whole medallion just pops out.. And, not that expensive..

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    I'll just make one comment, and then I'll be done on this subject... and, please.. don't take it personally..

If you stepped on the brake, and the car didn't slow down, but afterwards the brake seemed to operating properly...
    Then you probably weren't pressing on the brake the first time..

The chances of simultaneous unintended acceleration and brake failure would have to be ten million to one..

My supposition is that you have a new car that you are unfamiliar with, and pressed the wrong pedal..

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    If you drive a BMW full throttle at 70 mph and fully apply the brakes (while keeping the accelerator floored) the car WILL-repeat-WILL stop. Simple as that.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    To take it a step further, it will take just a few extra feet to stop as compared to an unpowered stop.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 03bmw33003bmw330 Posts: 2
    thanks, after just a few weeks of owning, I was ticed off. Must have been the ice storm that I drove thru a week ago and iced up the entire front of the car on the Garden State Parkway.
  • Shipo,

I am sick of cleaning brake dust off my 330i wheels. The car only has 13,000 miles, but am seriously thinking of putting new axxis pads on the car. What happens to my warranty and maint. agreement when I need new rotors and the BMW dealer finds non-bmw pads? Thanks.
    Hmmm, to be honest I don't really care so I haven't researched it. To my way of thinking, since new rotors are between $50 and $60 each depending upon where you shop, that comes out to an extra $200 and change if they decide to not honor the brake rotor warranty. To me at least, I'd gladly pay the extra $200 and say goodbye to the dirty wheels.

The flip side of this is that if you change your pads to an Axxis/PBR set, wear them out, and then go to BMW to have them replaced, they are going to put the OEM pads back on (assuming that they honor the warranty), requiring you to do another pad swap anyway. So, in the end, that is a part of the BMW "Free Maintenance" that I will gladly do without. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

Thinking about this further, I don't think that they will be able to tell the difference between the pads. The Axxis pads for my 530i looked virtually identical to the OEM pads I took off.
    What Shipo said. Worst case scenario-Were the rotors to warp(VERY unlikely) BMW would probably deny coverage on the rotors. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it. A lot depends on the dealer; some are real jerks while others will go the extra mile. Slap the Deluxe Plus pads on and relax...
  • bhs1bhs1 Posts: 6
    We have had Xenon lights for 3 years on a 2002 330xi live in Manhattan. Do not under any circumstances even consider buying the car without it. This will definetly make driving at night easier for you in the city or out. No pun intended but it's the differnce between day and night -- I can see great driving at night where I have had problems , even when I was in my 20s. It makes it a pleasure to drive at night -- reduces fatigue and strain of night driving. I can see clearly now. As previuosly, stated by another -- let the insurance company worry about it, but I have had no problem with theft. I have heard of an adjustment period with some people but it was love at first sight for me and had absolutely no problem adjusting to the Xenon. We just ordered a 2006 330i, and it's now standard on the car.
    It seems the benefits of added life safety gained as well as preventing a possible costly accident is a far great benefit and less of a risk then a possible theft.
    We have had Xenon lights for 3 years on a 2002 330xi live in Manhattan. Do not under any circumstances even consider buying the car without it. This will definetly make driving at night easier for you in the city or out. No pun intended but it's the differnce between day and night -- I can see great driving at night where I have had problems , even when I was in my 20s. It makes it a pleasure to drive at night -- reduces fatigue and strain of night driving. I can see clearly now. As previuosly, stated by another -- let the insurance company worry about it, but I have had no problem with theft. I have heard of an adjustment period with some people but it was love at first sight for me and had absolutely no problem adjusting to the Xenon. We just ordered a 2006 330i, and it's now standard on the car.
  • tslbmwtslbmw Posts: 166
    CHANGE A FREAKIN LIGHT BULB!! Alright, now that I've gotten that out of my system. . .has anyone here replaced a front turn signal bulb? According to the manual: "Using a screwdriver, release the inner hook through the upper opening. 2. Pull the lamp toward the front." WHAT INNER HOOK??!! When I look into the "upper opening" all I see is a piece of rubber and a piece of metal . . .no hook, and certainly nothing that a screwdriver could fix. Help!! Does anyone know how to do this and could describe it better in a post than BMWusa did in it's manual?

THANKS!
    Sorry, I forgot to say that my car is an '01 330i.
  • cartalkcartalk Posts: 134
    Xenon bulbs or non-Xenons?
  • Has anyone tried Aquapel glass treatment? Supposed to bond with the glass of the windshield, better vision in rain, etc. Wondering specifically about any problems with the rain sensors...

Thanks for any input.
    Regardless of how well (or not) that any glass treatment bonds with the glass, it will not affect the rain sensor. Why? Simple, the rain sensor uses light to measure when to wipe. The concept is fairly simple; the system shoots a beam of infrared light through the glass at about a 45 degree angle. If the glass is dry, a certain amount of the light bounces back and the sensor measures that amount. If the glass is wet, then a lesser amount of light bounces back and the system "Wipes".

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    My headlights on Xenons, but the turn signal indicator (which I am trying to replace) is non xenon.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
  • kamin99kamin99 Posts: 2
    i have 2003, 320 automatic transmission and recently it is been showing EML and Auto transmission Fault signs along with other dashboard lights . the car stops and once you turn it on again it drives but on with a limited capacity and all warning lights will stay on
    the dealer said it is an electric problem he has been trying for a week and now he has sent the diagnostic test to Germany as he has no idea to what is happening
    any one had similar issues
  • cartalkcartalk Posts: 134
    tsl,

See if any of this info helps:

The hook needs to be pushed down but be careful, it is easy to break it. I believe they make repair kits that the dealer can sell you if you need to repair the broken hook.

http://www.my330i.com/mod2.php
    I know of several E39 Five Series owners who experienced problems similar to yours. In each case, replacing the battery cured the fault. It seems that the newer BMWs have electronics which get really confused by low system voltage.
  • amzamz Posts: 8
    I know what you mean. I had two rims damaged in matter of three weeks on my 2000 323i.
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    the hook is deeper than you may think... I had trouble and had one of the guys at the service dept (at the dealership) show me how to do it (of course, he had a pretty long screwdriver to get at it).
    My 2000 323i was just 6 month after warranty when I started having problem with transmission (reverse gear). I brought car to the dealership, and was told that I need to replace transmission. This is after only 55K, not what I expected from BMW quality. After long negotiations dealer gave me 50% discount on parts and labor. It was very nice, but I was still very disappointed. I contacted BMW USA, and asked if they can help me with my repair. They promised to help, but never called back.
  • kamin99kamin99 Posts: 2
    Thanks div2 i'll discuss this with the dealer
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Ive seen upwards of 120k miles on E46 models .So hopefully yours is more of an isolated incident.Btw what was the price of the new tranny before your discount?

DL
    Price before discount was $4400. I found only on this forum 6 people, who had problems with transmission. They are all owners of 2000 3 series. I don't think it is just isolated incident. I would like to ask BMW if they have any data on reliability of 2000 transmissions on 3 series.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Hmm Steptronic ? You know my 99 Sport had the 5 Speed Non-Step,So I belive that was the 1st year..

DL
  • cargal2cargal2 Posts: 36
    Hi, Cargal2 reappears. Sorry about that. I reviewed some of the responses to my gas mileage issue. Thanks very much. I've been tracking it. I have about a 16 gallon tank (give a half gallon more, maybe). I've been getting 266 miles on one tank of gas, consistently. It comes up to about 17 and some change per mile. Nasty.

For the last several days I've been relying more on the autostick to try and increase my mileage, and also watching more of that little gauge under the tachometer (is that right?). In the drive mode, it seems more under stress. I try to keep it in the 5th gear, as much as possible. Now, I'm getting a reading about 21.5 city driving. Am I making progress, or am I just fooling myself? Can't stand having to fill up the gas tank so much.

New problem: I went to wash the car today. I asked if someone could check the tire pressure, because it seemed a little bumpy. Well for one, the $30 logo theft-deterrant valve caps fell off somewhere.

Second thing and most importantly -- the guy noticed two large bubbles in the right front sidewall. I didn't hit any curb on that side. He said it could burst on the road, if I wasn't real careful. I recognize that. The dealership was closed by the time I drove home.... I have a big appointment on Monday. Don't know what to do.

Sears tell me a Continental 205/50 R17/ 93V rated tire costs $200!!! They don't carry them in stock.

I don't think I want to get another Conti. I went to tire rack to read the reviews, and noticed that other bmw people have had bubbles in the sidewall. Someone told me this evening, I might even be able to have the tire replaced by the manufacturer. BMW Assist asked me whether I hit a curb....

The tire pressure was 35 pounds. I think one of the dealerships added a little too much air to all four tires, anyway. I usually keep them at about 33. On the other hand, I know it can be tough to really know unless it's dead cold. I can't quite do this myself, though.

I guess the only thing I might be able to do is find a tire store open tomorrow that might deal with Continentals and see if they'll take care of the tire? Or, should or could I just replace it with something else that's comparable, but less.

Gosh, I can't imagine having to spend so much on a new tire when the car only has about 15,900 miles. I only put about 3, or so thousand miles on it, since I got it.

Thanks!!!