Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Spring 1999 my 323i at a red light began spewing out steam and smoke. Quite traumatic with 900 miles on the clock. I immediately called my salesperson. It was flat bed to the Dealer and they determined the AC compressor clutch was faulty.Anways my salesperson felt so bad he gave me his 528i to drive for a month while the part was being delivered from Germany. After that 39,000 trouble free miles. Maybe early problems on a E46 can be a good sign :)

Don't panic yet.
    DL
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,946
    Depends on what you mean by long-term... ;-)

Seriously, BMWs have more problems with the sensors that are supposed to detect the problems, than with the actual problems themselves.. When the sensor goes bad, it shuts down the system it is designed to protect..

I certainly wouldn't extrapolate a long-term problem off something that happens right after delivery..

I consider those minor problems.. I guess, because they are in warranty. I do worry about what replacing a sensor will cost out of warranty..

regards,
    kyfdx

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

My wife took a rock in the windshield last night.. It has to be replaced..

• mjday1972mjday1972 Posts: 76
    Sorry about the windshield, that's not fun to deal with.

I just picked up my car, they said it was a bad accelerator pedal and that the problem originated from the factory. Car drives great now, which is what I expected. I'm sure the rest of my experience will be great.

Mike
  • algebraalgebra Posts: 7
    Sorry guys. This is not exactly responsive to this message, but it's the only way I know how to post a message at this point.

My question concerns Zenons; whether to get or not to get. I'm getting totally mixed messages on this question. I don't live in the ;country where they might be more useful, but i'M AN older gentleman, and the extra visibility of the zenons would b e useful. On the other hand I'm getting some reactions that the Zenons are easily and expensively stolen even during day=time hours. On the other hand, some people are telling me that the Zenons on the BMW are not easily taken, in particular the 3 series, and I do park in a grage at night. I spend a lot of time in Manhattan's commcercial district during the day, etc. Anyway, I think you get the "message." Any contribution to my resolution of this dilema will be greatly appreciated. I am considering two cars, one with, and one without the zenons. Thanks.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I cannot say that I've ever heard of any BMW having its Xenon headlights stolen. That's not to say it cannot happen, I've just never heard of it. Both of my BMWs have had Xenons, and both have spent a considerable amount of time in Midtown (usually parked at 56th and 7th), and I have never had any indication that there might be a problem.

Regarding their usefulness, while my eyes are starting to finally succumb to age (I'm nearing 50 and I'm just starting to use reading glasses for REALLY tiny things), I have always had excellent night vision and even I can appreciate the difference in the lighting provided by Xenon headlights. The only thing that I might caution you about is their abrupt cut-off (ie. if your car is pointed at a wall or some trees or a snow bank, there is a very sharp delineation between what is lit up and what is not). Said abrupt cut-off takes a little getting used to as there will be times when tooling around your neighborhood when you will see a torso-less pair of human legs walking down the side of the road or when you are too close to a road sign at night and just the bottom is visible.

For my part, get the Xenons, and if the extremely rare event of having them get stolen occurs, let your insurance company worry about it. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I just bought an '05 convertible and the dealer was trying to sell me the wind guard for $445. Is this worth it? Does it really work? I'd appreciate if anyone who has experience with this thing can offer some advice. Thanks in advance!
  • sirdarby1sirdarby1 Posts: 33
    Don't just let any windshield repair do it for you. My ins. company recommended one for me a few mos. ago and they did a super sloppy job. I should have paid the xtra $ beyond my comprehensive and let BMW dealer do the work.

This company did the work in my wife's parking lot at work and it looks like he did it with his eyes closed. How can you get putty on the door?
    Thanks.. My dealer doesn't do glass.. I'm going to their recommended shop, and they are using factory parts.... They seemed pretty knowledgeable about BMWS when I called..

Also, had the car in for another problem yesterday, and my service advisor assured me that this glass shop does great work, and they recommend them for all of their glass work..

I blame it on my wife.... lol

• 03bmw33003bmw330 Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2003 CPO 330i and the BMW propeller applique came off the hood medallion. Is this a common problem? Can it be easily replaced?
    So this is what life with a bmw is like. Have had a 330xi for 2 days. Love the car, but. tonight I was backing into a parking space, when the engine suddenly started racing and the car started going back faster than was safe, and than I intended. I had ifficulty controlling the car. Depressed brake pedal, but that did not seem to stop it. Immediately shiifted into park and the car immediately stopped; thank god, since there were several people nearby. Took a while to regain my composure. Of course I'm going to the dealer on Monday. Today is Saturday. Besides describing the occurence, is there anything else I should discuss with him, like getting a different, new car. This one has 150 miles on it. Any responses from savy BMW people will be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

Algebra
    Hi Mchen 39084, and all interested parties.

Read my post of 3/13, #1636, entitled "unintended reverse acceleration". Sounds similar to your problem. Did they eventually discover the cause of your problem, and what was the cure.? Hope to hear from you or anyone else on this extremely important matter. Thanks.
    Yes.. easily... if not, then the whole medallion just pops out.. And, not that expensive..

I'll just make one comment, and then I'll be done on this subject... and, please.. don't take it personally..

If you stepped on the brake, and the car didn't slow down, but afterwards the brake seemed to operating properly...
    Then you probably weren't pressing on the brake the first time..

The chances of simultaneous unintended acceleration and brake failure would have to be ten million to one..

My supposition is that you have a new car that you are unfamiliar with, and pressed the wrong pedal..

regards,
    kyfdx

• div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    If you drive a BMW full throttle at 70 mph and fully apply the brakes (while keeping the accelerator floored) the car WILL-repeat-WILL stop. Simple as that.
    To take it a step further, it will take just a few extra feet to stop as compared to an unpowered stop.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • 03bmw33003bmw330 Posts: 2
    thanks, after just a few weeks of owning, I was ticed off. Must have been the ice storm that I drove thru a week ago and iced up the entire front of the car on the Garden State Parkway.
  • Shipo,

I am sick of cleaning brake dust off my 330i wheels. The car only has 13,000 miles, but am seriously thinking of putting new axxis pads on the car. What happens to my warranty and maint. agreement when I need new rotors and the BMW dealer finds non-bmw pads? Thanks.
    Hmmm, to be honest I don't really care so I haven't researched it. To my way of thinking, since new rotors are between $50 and $60 each depending upon where you shop, that comes out to an extra $200 and change if they decide to not honor the brake rotor warranty. To me at least, I'd gladly pay the extra $200 and say goodbye to the dirty wheels.

The flip side of this is that if you change your pads to an Axxis/PBR set, wear them out, and then go to BMW to have them replaced, they are going to put the OEM pads back on (assuming that they honor the warranty), requiring you to do another pad swap anyway. So, in the end, that is a part of the BMW "Free Maintenance" that I will gladly do without. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

Thinking about this further, I don't think that they will be able to tell the difference between the pads. The Axxis pads for my 530i looked virtually identical to the OEM pads I took off.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    What Shipo said. Worst case scenario-Were the rotors to warp(VERY unlikely) BMW would probably deny coverage on the rotors. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it. A lot depends on the dealer; some are real jerks while others will go the extra mile. Slap the Deluxe Plus pads on and relax...