Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• grant75grant75 Posts: 2
    Just happened to me too!! 2000 323i convertible with 49k miles!! Need a new transmission!! We need to call BMW!!

Any luck with you all??
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
    Can I assume that the "no reverse" problem is limited to automatics?
  • As I suggested earlier in this forum, this model year 2000 323I with automatic steptronic has problem. It will come up around 50K miles.

I am talking to BMW NA and need more number of people to convince folks that it is a manufacturing issue. I had a talk with local BMW repair shop. Guy told me that it is mfg. problem and I should talk to dealer only.

All who have this problem should gather the force. We together can make BMW to pay for their worse quality of product.

If we all agree on the fact that it is indeed a problem, we should request this forum's caretaker to create a sub-cateogry so that every one can see how many such issues are present together.

Please file issue in complaints.com as well. They are looking at lot of issues together.
  • I strongly urge every one who is having problem or have had problem with reverse gear, to file complains in:

http://consumeraffairs.com

They will take the case when there are several people affected by same problem. This is definitely a mfg. problem.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    "All who have this problem should gather the force"
    Ahhh...
    A Jedi Master you must be. Defeating the Dark Side of Munich an easy job it will be not.
  • clark3clark3 Posts: 3
    Thanks again. I will join BMW-CCA and follow your advice. My dealer has called twice since last Friday (This is Tuesday) and is offering to do the work for half price.
    I think that it's interesting the dealer is now offering half-off. I wonder why he didn't quote a fair price to begin with...
  • kyfdx%40Edmundskyfdx%40Edmunds Posts: 25,869
    Funny you are

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    div2, the funny side I see in you.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I read those and began to think I was in the Jeep Wrangler forum! :) I know on Jeeps, those are easy to swap out yourself. How difficult would something like this be for an E46?

-Paul
  • paulepaule Posts: 382
    It's kind of interesting to see how many BMW forum members also contribute to the Jeep forums.
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    okay, '01 330i with manual tranny and getting close to Inspection II (58K miles):

- the manual says to not change the transmission or differential fluid ever;
    - independent mechanic says to change these at 60K with Inspection II
    - dealer's Insp II doesn't cover these items.

What do other people recommend and/or have done?
    Your mechanic is right on the money. I follow the same schedule on my 1995 Club Sport; in fact, that is the interval BMW recommended back then. Some people recommend 30K changes but I doubt that the more frequent changes provide a significant benefit.
  • amt7565amt7565 Posts: 165
    Anyone can advise on how to prevent water spot buildup? My apartment sprinkler system is ruining my car.

Thanks
    AMT-
  • iz4detailiz4detail Posts: 9
    Hello everyone!! I bought my first Bimmer 3 months ago! It is a 2004 330Ci Orient Blue. Beautiful Car!!!. I have a question regarding the Oil dipstick in this car which I keep getting varying answers from different dealerships. Anyway the dipstick
    looks something like this 0----------[[[[[-----]]]]]]----]]]]]]}]> .The dipstick has 3 plastic segments with bare wire/metal in the middle. There are no indicators for high and low levels. Additionally, there are no etchings to indicate levels. This drives me crazy!!! Being somewhat "anal", I like knowing where the oil level is and keep it at a certain point. FYI, this car was built in 01/04....I guess last one before the 05 models came out. Oh, one additional item, this stick looks nothing like the one in my owner's manual. Anyway, I would appreciate any help and/or feedback regarding this issue. Thanks
  • gojuicegojuice Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 323 convertible with a manual top. The car has 56k miles with no significant problems. However, I have noticed that the deck lid that comes down on the folded convertible top has several spots where the simulated leather covering is separating from the substrate and forming bubbles about the size of a quarter. Has anyone had similar experiences with their convertibles. any advice on how to repair?
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Umm,

-- remove said sprinkler head, plug and replace hole with sod.

Seriously though, A good wax/polish will help protect your paint, and make it easier to clean. But there is nothing i know of that would prevent hard water spot's on a Black car.

DL
  • sunilbsunilb Posts: 407
    Thanks... any preference for Redline vs. OEM fluids?

I do find it odd that BMW does not recommend changing these (as it would be outside the free maintenance period).
    Well, as a practical matter you rarely see a BMW manual transmission or final drive fail unless it has been abused and/or run low on lubricant. I didn't change the final drive oil in my wife's E39 until it hit 99K and it is still quiet and problem free. I like to use the factory final drive oil on cars with limited slips. On an open diff I'd run any good synthetic-I prefer Mobil 1. As for the transmission, I like Mobil 1 ATF but the factory fluid or Redline D4 should work just as well.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I see your id, and I see myself. That used to be my userid when I worked at a previous employer.

Go figure...my BMW and Jeep are both AWD/4WD AND the same color too! I need to get some pics of them side by side. Though I doubt the LCA's on the BMW will let it flex too much. :)

The BMW gives me the nice ride and the luxurious feel. I love the Wrangler just as much, but for totally different reasons. It is simple and rough. Totally opposite from the BMW.

-Paul