Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• derrickmderrickm Posts: 7
    Hi,

I'm really looking at either 00/01 or 02/03. I'm particularly impressed with the 02/03--I drove one and it was a rocket! After reading this forum, I'm thinking I'll get one that's still under warranty just to be safe.

Btw, my Camry is the SE/V6. Passes fine, but anytime you're looking for immediate speed, forget it. A slight lag before the engine starts to rev up, then the tranny lets the engine wind up and doesn't produce any power until higher RPM. All-in-all a >1 second lag.
    How embarrassing--every time I've refreshed this page to see recent posts it's reposted my last entry. Sorry everybody.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to try to find an '02 or '03. They seem to be available in Utah, which is reasonably close to me. People don't seem to be getting rid of them--they're not exactly easy to find.

I agree that if I go with a 2000, I'd avoid the first six months or so of the new model.

:)
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I own a 2000 SE loaded automatic with 70K on it and besides an alternator and O2 sensor it's been solid. Not even done brakes yet. However, if I was buying a used max, I'd get the 3.5 motor. I've driven both, and I often long for the greater oomph of the larger motor. Big difference off the line, not so much diff when passing on the highway as the 3.0 will pass in a flash when needed. Get an 02, lots of deals around here in MN. I've even thought of trading up, but with 5 more payments left on a 60mo loan I'm thinking no payment sounds NICE!!!
  • bjoycebjoyce Posts: 1
    This is my 4th Maxima since 1990 and I am not happy. There is a serious shift issue with the new autoshift, 5 speed transmission on GL's sold after Feb 2004. The dealer says "it's normal" but other owners have the same problem!!! The gas cap is designed badly. I just replaced the XM antenna, for the 2nd time and it still works about 60% of the time. Any comments?
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    Renault owns them now
    Renault owns like a 40-44% stake, don't they? That wouldn't mean they "own" them. They did however send over their CEO Carlos Ghosn, who is a legend over there in Japan now in case you didn't know. Yes he's done cost cutting and forced their parts suppliers to decrease costs or they'd walk away atc, but the stock has been great since he's been there. I know, I own it. I do think quality has slipped a bit, but can it be directly attributed to the "cost cutting" measures of Ghosn? Debatable I suppose. They have opened up factories in the US, can that be the cause of the quality slip??? Think about that.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    No doubt there are some assembly issues directly attributable to good old American shoddy workmanship. However, there are also cheaper, lower quality parts being used, which accounts for a number of warranty issues. A good example is cheap coils and Bridgestone tires used on 2000-2003 Maximas, which were assembled in Japan.

Personally I detest cost cutting measures like introduction of low quality questionable parts in order to save money. No matter how carefully a vehicle is assembled, if you make it out of low quality parts manufactured by people who make 65 cents and hour, you are not going to have a good product. Nissan is not the only company guilty of this approach- there are many others.

Personally I much rather pay a few thousand dollars more for a well built quality vehicle. This is why I will be looking at Lexus products in the future. I already walked away from an 03 Nissan Maxima and an 04 Nissan Titan. I will not buy a new vehicle that exhibits severe wheel vibration during a test drive, or something that comes out of a factory with a fist sized paint flaw. Are you listening Carlos Ghosn?
    I believe I have to agree with your response. Lower quality materials are being used. It's noticeable across the line, in all Nissans. I don't like the interiors in the 04 Max and Altima (even with new for 05). I work on databases and I think the old addage "garbage in = garbage out" applies quite nicely ;-). Cheap materials going in is going to result in quality issues. I am in need of a midsize SUV and I'm thinking Pathfinder over Murano, even though the Murano would fit my needs better and gets better mileage, because I feel the Pathfinder is still old Nissan versus new. Until 05 version anyway.
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    i just bought a Highlander and like it
  • gtgraygtgray Posts: 22
    I have a 2004 SL. I had a front end rattle at 10,000 miles that was driving me nuts.....no performance problem, just the presence of a heavy rattle in the front end while driving over minor road imperfections. Nissan knew exactly what it was when I went to the dealership....a bad front passenger-side strut. The head mechanic there said that they've seen so many of them on the 2004's that they are actuallu making money on them. Nissan pays for 1.5hrs of labor for the fix, but they get it done in about 45 minutes.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Also, the 02/03 have the 6 speed manual, if you can find one as well as the xenon head lights.

No problems with my 02 SE.
    aggiedog-Yeah, the 6-speed sounds pretty nice. Haven't seena single one of them out here though. I testdrove the '02 with auto and was suitable impressed.

gtgray- i think all the brands have some problems; especially earlier on. Took 6 months to get the rattles out of my 02 Camry. In the end, was a service bulletin than led them to a bad weld deep under the windshield.

ccermak- I did did drive a '00 SE and an '02 SE. I was really impressed with each. The '00 had the kind of power I was used to before with my old Maxima. 58k miles and felt brand new in every respect. I do agree with you about the extra horsepower, and will likely get an 02 or 03. Yeah, I had no car payments for 7 years until I made the mistake of getting rid of my last maxima. Are you a DBA or a developer?
  • gatormagatorma Posts: 2
    Bought a used '01 20th AE Maxima about 6 months ago, 28K miles, 2 weeks ago driving along, let my foot off the gas to stop for rush hour traffic and all the lights on the dash came on (Air bag light flashing, ABS, O/D light on), then the engine drops down into O/D and radio/clock/A/C goes off. Just happen to be by the dealer and drove into the service. They called me later in the day to say that it needs a battery, then they do a computer check and he says everything is fine. This all might be in my mind, but just wanted to check with the board.... when you need a new battery, does it stop in the middle of driving? I would think that the alternator should have been charging the battery enough even at driving, but with these new cars, nothing is normal anymore. Maybe something wrong with alternator?

Another thing, it feels like the car is dragging and not coasting when driving highway. I'm probably not wording properly, but it feels very tight and hesitant to just cruise along like my '96 Maxima did. It doesn't feel like the transmission is missing or slipping, but tight and not cruising smoothly? Anyone have any thoughts?
    Actually, I'm an Essbase Administrator, dealing with OLAP cube databases. But we source our data from Oracle tables so I'm in there quite a bit as well, usually with Toad. Plus we use Informatica to move the data around. So an Informatica and Essbase developer, SQL programmer, and an Admin, but not a DBA in Oracle.
    I have a friend who does that sort of thing--I understand that it's a good skill to have!

I do .net development using Oracle, SAP, etc.--mostly salesorder entry and processing, material pricing, inventory stuff. :)
  • czechmateczechmate Posts: 3
    I an the original owner of a 1995 Maxima with 155K miles on it. It's been a great car with very few problems. I had major service (tune-up, etc.) done in March and no problems surfaced at that time. When I had it in for an oil change last month, the technician said the engine still looked great and I should get another 50-100K out of it. However, recently my brakes have been pulsing when coming to a normal slow speed stop, like at a stop sign. If I'm stopping a little quicker from say 30 mph, you can really feel it. I have ABS, and there is no trouble light showing on the dash. I suspect the ABS is engaging every time I brake. Has anyone else had this problem? THanks!
    Sounds very much to me like you need new rotors and probably pads. When's the last time you had your rotors "resurfaced" and had new brake pads put on? Pulsing felt in the brake pedal, and often times steering wheel, when braking hard is almost always the rotors. When the ABS comes on you feel more of a grinding and vibrating feel, along with a groaning noise. It's actually kinda scary if you've never experienced it before and it kicks in. Happens a lot to me here in MN in the winter when it's icy and coming to a stop. I've also felt it though when stopping hard and going over bumps in the road.
  • bkswardbksward Posts: 93
    Also, the 02/03 have the 6 speed manual, if you can find one as well as the xenon head lights.

The final drive ratio is the same on the old 5-speed as on the 6-speed. I have an 02 6-speed. Most of the time I end up shifting 1-2-3-6 or 1-2-4-6.

The VQ engine has a wide enough torque curve that the "close ratio" 6-speed doesn't add much. On a car like the S2000 with a very small torque peak it is useful, but not on the Max.

I would have much preferred that Nissan had done what BMW did with the 5-series and put in a tall, highway gear with the extra cog.
  • claytonjclaytonj Posts: 2
    Hi Guys, has anyone installed aftermarket HID bulbs in a 2004 yet. I heard a rumor that it shouldn't be done to the 04 Max b/c the headlamps must be connected to a special printed circuit board that only the dealer can access. If the HID bulbs are installed without connecting them to the printed circuit board, they will fry a couple of the fuses that protect the car's electrical system and the headlamp fuses. Any truth to this rumor or is fairly safe for me to install the aftermarket HID conversion KIT. Any suggestions???????
  • czechmateczechmate Posts: 3
    Thanks for explaining about the ABS! I did replace both front and rear rotors and pads at 107K miles so didn't think it was time for that again. But you were right...I took it in for a brake inspection today and was told the rotors are warped and need to be milled.