Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    Any of you 02-03 owners replaced your stock bose/clarion head unit?
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Posts: 160
    thanks, I did just that but in the end it was a clogged up EGR tube. As soon as they cleaned it up the problem is gone. Manifold needed to be removed to get to it though so I didn't attempt it myself. Costed me a couple hundred but on the way I got some gaskets replaced and throttle body cleaned as well. Thanks for replying.
  • the water pump runs off the timing chain they got the chain off by a tooth making the ign. timing off that will give you the low rev and no power
  • under the glove box on the right a green box
  • the knock sensor will not make your check engine light come on it does not read the grade of gas in the tank.it is under the intake manifold it adjusts the ign. timing when the motor starts to spark knock.you have another problem if your c/e light is coming on
  • there is no vacuum suction they are just stuck in the intake they are a [non-permissible content removed] to get out.and no one can tell you how to work on cars.you just get it or you don't
  • gengen Posts: 5
    appreciate the reply. Per the Haynes manual and a Nissan mechanic, the injectors should easily twist right out. I thought I must be doing something wrong since they were stuck in there so tightly, but it's good to know this is normal.
  • gnl2gnl2 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Maxima with a little under 12,000 miles. When I turn the heater on when I start the car in the winter, there is a rotten egg smell coming from the vents in the car.

Has anyone found a SURE CURE for this terrible odor?
  • I have a 1998 Maxima with almost 98k on it. About a year and a half ago I noticed the steering wheel shook when driving about 72-75 mph. I had a '95 maxima before and I knew that the steering wheel should not shake while driving on the highway. I took it to the dealership and they said I needed new struts, I got my tires balanced and re-aligned. $700 later and a year and a half later I still have the same problem but worse. Now the wheel shakes at about 68 mph and above and I also feel like the accelerator has movement as well. I took it to Discount Tire Co. where I got my tires and had it rebalanced about 3 to 4 times but it did not help. Does anyone know what my problem could be? Help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Could be many things, but check that one of your wheels is not bent. You may or may not be able to see it visually. There are some tire places with the Hunter machine that can detect all kinds of irregularities with the wheel/tire combo.

http://www.gsp9700.com/
  • I WAS JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM AND IF THIS IS THE ALTERNATOR NEEDING TO BE REPLACED MY WIFE WAS DRIVING HER VEHICLE AND HER LIGHTS TURNED REALLY DIM AND THE CRUISE CONTROL KICKED OFF AND I HAD REPLACED THE BATTERY AND IT STILL DID THE SAME THING IT HAS A NEW MOTOR AND ALL THE SENSORS ARE REPLACED THE STARTER NEW I AM THINKING THAT IT IS THE ALTERNATOR ALL THE POWER JUST SHUT OFF I HAD THE ALTERNATOR TESTED AND IT WAS MENTIONED THAT THE ALTERNATOR WAS A LITTLE SLOW BUT, MANAGEABLE. WHAT DO U THINK? PLEASE LET ME KNOW.....
  • jgtmiljgtmil Posts: 19
    I was wondering if anyone knew what the factory code would be for the keypads on a 94 Maxima GXE, or how would i go about getting this code...thanks
    Sounds like an alternator but it can be oxidized battery terminals or a circuit break somewhere. Clean your battery terminals and then have any shop connect a voltage tester to a battery and check voltage when the car is off and on. If you are in the green section on the tester then you are fine.
    Here is a TSB by Nissan on programming the remote for many Nissan vehicles but your model year is not on the list. Try it or look for similar documents for your model year... However, obviously the on board ECMs were not as safisticated in 94 model so I have doubts that this procedure will work...

http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB99-036a.pdf
  • max87max87 Posts: 1
    Well, last night somebody break into my 87maxima through the driverdside window. Just try to understand if I can buy the glass from jankyard and install it my self. Can't afford to pay $150 for the glass. Any advise or tip will be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you ---San Sha :cry:
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Any of you 02-03 owners replaced your stock bose/clarion head unit?

I drive an 03 and replaced my head unit, although it was the standard radio, not the premium unit. The only difficulty I had was that the screws for the mounting brackets would not come out of the old radio, I had to order a new pair of brackets from Nissan. They were very cheap, only a few bucks if memory serves.
  • I have a 2004 Maxima SE and it smells all the time like rotten eggs whether I accelerate hard or not. It is driving me crazy--I'm embarrased to stop and talk to someone with my car running because it smells so bad. I've tried different grades and kinds of gas--doesn't matter whether it's BP, Citgo, Sunoco or premium or unleaded or winter or summer. It smells! I'm beginning to wonder if that is why the original owner sold the car. Help, I need a cure too!!
    My local Nissan dealer offers a pressurized fuel injector cleaning service for $60 with a coupon. What is it exactly and does it do any good or can it cause problems such as leaks? I am sure I have carbon build-up on my 76K Maxima but would want to hear some opinions on this. Thanks
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050
    Your question has been answered in the idle/stall topic. Try not to "cross-post" in more than one topic if you can avoid it. Thanks!

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• haropharop Posts: 59
    I tried to find "idle/stall" topic and cannot. Could you please tell how to find it. It would have been nice if it was a hyperlink in your message.

Thanks,
    -haro
  • gtwgtw Posts: 46
    Change the cabin filter
    The forum is called "Idle and Stalling Problems - All Vehicles".
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,050
    here you go:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef13c30/283

You should "bookmark" any topic you post in so you don't get lost. We have so many topics it's not hard to forget where you were!

best

Host

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• Thanks for the tip--I just ordered one since the manual says to change every 15000 miles and I now have 16000 on my Maxima. Hope it helps!
  • I have a 2005 Maxima SL with a little over 12000 miles. I have a similar problem and have changed grades of gas and where I fill up. Nothing seems to work. I even smell the stink when I stop my car, the cabin of my car always smells too.
  • I'm having exactly the same problem. Fifth mechanic today in a matter of fact and still can not diagnose the problem. I changed the starter fuel filter and this close to change the crank sensor. But I am a little bit hesitant because I have no check engine light. Any luck with you car, I'll keep you posted with what my mechanic finds out.

John...
  • my maxima is 96 se and i have the same problem when its cold it dosent work (in the morning) it takes like 3 to 4 times to turn the engin on, and later i mean in the same day it works fine like nothing wrong with it but when its hot it turns on from the first time... so people told me the problem connected to cold start senser, this senser give more gas to the injectores when its cold... but i could not find where is this senser. and there is hot start senser tooo. note O2 senser works when the car is hot only.. . please let me know if u find something..
  • I have Maxima 96, it doesnt work in cold morning only, but the rest of the day it turn from the first hit even if its cold...on hot weather it works perfect... and no engine light. i use supreme gas, new egr valve and i clean the intake, what would be the problem..thank you people...