Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    I have a 2003 Max SE with just over 20k miles. Gas mileage in city driving is about 19-20 and pure highway cruising (at 65-70) will get about 24-25. I believe that EPA highway calculations are done at 50mph to arrive at the 26 mpg figure.
  • aristotlearistotle Posts: 123
    Thanks for your response. My starting problem was finally diagnosed to a faulty key. So, that was a false alarm.

Again recently I thought my car had problems in accelerating in cold weather. After further research I found the problem to emanate from a taut new serpentine belt which is making the gas pedal a little harder to press. I guess this will go away in a couple of weeks once the elongated belt ( I hear that serpentine belts are elongated before they are put on the car ) gets used to the new length.

The car actually drives quite well now. Touch wood. I hope I don't raise any more false alarms, wasting other people's time in the process.
  • I just bought an 04 SE with the leather seat option. Both front seats have what my fiance & I think are very uncomfortable, bordering on painful, seat backs. There is a lump right below the shoulder blades that seems way too high to be lumbar. My back hurts after 10 mins of driving. I am 6' 3", she is 5' 9". Any suggestions or common experience? Thanks.
  • What does the serpentine belt have to do with your gas pedal? How could that possibly make the gas pedal harder to push?
  • I have a 2003 Maxima 3.5 SE Auto, and I average more like 22mpg city, but I don't do a lot of sitting in traffic which can drive down your MPG.
  • aristotlearistotle Posts: 123
    I am not a car expert by any means. I just thought perhaps the stretched serpentine belt is resisting the elongation and applying some resistance to the engine in the process.

Is that a wild theory? I may be completely offbase and am willing to accept expert opinion on this from anyone.

The car performance is slowly improving everyday. May take couple of more weeks before the belt is completely "at home" in its elongated state.
    Went to NISSAN dealer today. Engine checked out good; within specs and no DTC codes, but the car is still knocking frequently. Hopefully, it's ONLY some bad gas (in the car). BTW, SES light was never on.
  • I am having the same front rattle when I drive on a little rougher roads. Does anyone have the same story on the 04?
  • listerlister Posts: 1
    How warm were your heated seats before they went out? I have a new 05 - which I LOVE, but the heated seats are barely noticeable, even on High. They are MUCH hotter in my wife's Cadillac and my son's Chevy Silverado. I tried the heated steering wheel just for comparison and it is quickly -- and noticeably warm. But the seats aren't.

Thanks,

Lister
  • gtgraygtgray Posts: 22
    Have the struts checked - see message #2048 - supposedly a common problem
  • Has anyone ever bought any Nissan parts online before, and from where?

Is there any reputable sites for buying Nissan parts, bumper specifically?
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    I AM LOOKING AT THE MAXIMA 3.5 SL I JUST LIKE SOME FEEDBACK ON IT FROM SOME OWNERS OUT THERE THANKS
                     TOM
  • duke_waduke_wa Posts: 12
    Yes, Lister, I share the same experience with my y2k heated Maxima seats. They warm up in about 45 seconds and the high setting is very toasty! It takes about 5 minutes for my wife's Subaru's heated seats to warm up. ;)
  • gtgraygtgray Posts: 22
    I have an 04 SL - it's my third Maxima. PROs - Great acceleration (albeit w/ some torque steer, great lines, not a ton of them on the road these day (then again, maybe that's a bad sign), the vehicle stability / traction control option makes it virtually impossible to get goofy in the snow, the cold package is a godsend - you'll love the heated seats - and love the heated steering wheel more (try finding THAT option on an Accord)
    CONs - less visibility than previous Maximas, bulk (it's gotten pretty big), the absolute worst turning radius in the world (I can turn my wife's massive minivan around in tighter spots than my Maxima), bad front struts (see previous postings), too many electronic goodies that I fear will eventually get squirrelly and aggravate me. Pretty damn good car.
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    I ORDERED THE CAR WITH MOON ROOF ANTI SKID VDC,TRACTION CONTROL,HEATED AND MEMORY SEATS I PICK IT UP MONDAY I HOPE ALL GOES WELL THANKS FOR THE INTO
  • I have checked out the posts that mention "vibration" but can't be sure we are talking about the same problem, because no one mentions the service advisory/warranty repair ...

I got my Maxima in Oct. 03 and only started daily long-distance driving in March ... soon thereafter noticed really intense vibration in the front end, particularly on the interstate at speeds over 70 (the service manager identified a less intense vibration even at lower speeds.)

When I first brought this to the dealership's attention, their approach was tire balance and then alignment, but with no improvement. By the time I returned in August, they had a Nissan service advisory which apparently identifies a problem with the hubs (I haven't see the actual advisory yet, but have requested a copy of it) and offers warranty repair. This repair has now been done twice, and new Michelins have been put on the car ... there was improvement in the range of 40-75 mph, but over 75 there is still vibration, sometimes pretty fierce.

The service manager at my dealership is very helpful and sympathetic about this issue, but he is running out of fixes to try. One thing that has been mentioned, if I continue to be unhappy w/ the car's performance, is a buy-back or trade-in on another Max ... but that's only a good solution if this is not a design flaw that affects all Maxima's. He has told me that he has driven other Maximas, where he could feel the vibration, but the car owners either did not notice it or were not bothered by it ... but it seems that it might be a pretty wide-spread problem.

Anyone have experience with this issue and know anything about it? Could this be the same issue that I've seen mentioned here in the forum w/r/t struts being a problem?

I really like the car in every other respect (OK, the turning radius is really poor, but otherwise it's a fine car.) I'd like to keep it, but I'd certainly like to have the problem fixed.
    The guys at maxima.org rave about this site: http://www.nissan-auto-parts-dealer.com I believe they are a dealership in Colorado that sells nationwide at wholesale prices. I have not used them yet! good luck...
  • I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE. The dimmer for the whole area where the Gasoline gauge is and part of the Odometer's left bottom corner does not light up like the rest of the bunch that are located on the right side of the board. I was wondering what causes this because it is partly lighted up but very dim. I desperately needed help and would love to know how easy if it is to change the bulb if this is what's needed to be done or replace other what? Thanks in advance... I would love to hear from you.

BTW, I have played with the control for the dimmer that is located on the left corner side close to the door and nothing helps..
  • mariosmarios Posts: 1
    My engine starts just fine, but there is a fluttering for about 10 minutes when I first start the engine. The temperature gage reads Cold for about 10 minutes, despite it being 80 degrees outside. If I try to drive the car during this time, the engine sounds as if it's cold, it sounds louder than usual and strained.

I find that when I drive my car to work and return within 3 hours, the needle quickly rises to the middle, between C and H. Any longer than that, then it's a 10 minute warm up again.

Any ideas?
  • wrkllcwrkllc Posts: 6
    Hello, Fellow Maxima owners, Just a note to state I have a 1991 Maxima GXE with over 366,250 miles so far and drive it every day all over the state of Florida. It has only been to the dealer for two major repairs, (1) The front head gasket blew at 270,000 miles going at 55mph I shut it down immediatly. Had it replaced with a new Radiator along with the cooling fans, No head work. (2) Front steering rack, and both front control arms the rubber bushing were worn out. I have changed the oil every 3000-5000 miles, has a few small leaks now. The timing belt changed every 70,000 and only one water pump. the only other parts replaced other than normal wear items (Battery, Tires, Brakes, CV boots & joints etc...) was the Clock since it works when it wants to. This car starts right up, does not smoke and I went 365 miles on one tank of gas the other day. normal is about 325-345 if I stay of the pedal. When I change the oil I always add one quart of transmission fluid to keep the seals loose, ie the small leaks. So for anyone out there looking at the Maxima Look hard. I now own two the other is a 1994 GXE with 110,000 miles with no problems yet, I am purchasing a 2004 Titan LE, trading in the 2000 Tundra. Good luck. I wish they were all built like this one.