Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    I assume that your 2000 Maxima is the same as my 2001 on this. The 14mm bolt faces the driver side at the bottom of the pump. I reached with a long extension across, but you could rig up extensions with a universal socket, too.
  • thanks for the suggestion. i am going to try that when i get a spare moment. i was wondering if your service engine light ever came on during your problems? mine has remained on for the past week.
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Posts: 160
    if your SES light is on then you should scan the computer and identify the error code. Autozone store will give you a free scan - it's their policy. Once you get the code, just look it up online and then you'll be on the right track. Your issue can be caused by many things, the SES light is supposed to suggest where to look although cleaning throttle body is always a good idea of course.
  • vince9vince9 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I own a 2001 Maxima and I have a problem. My car seems to go fine but ABS-SLIP-TCS lights are always. Can someone please help me beacuse I don't want replace something and the problem still exists... I know this problem already posted but i don,t see no precise answer... I would rather know what it is before i bring it to the dealership and they take advantage of me.
    Thank you
  • tdk930tdk930 Posts: 4
    i had this problem on my 2000 maxima. you did not say how many miles are on your car. My fix was to replace the plugs and coils. If you have 80K+ or more miles, replace the plugs first and see if the problem goes away. if not, replace the coils.

also - you should have the code pulled and run a search on yahoo - lots of info out there.
  • mdogramdogra Posts: 16
    I have 1996 Maxima. My stereo was dead for which the dealership messed with the wiring once and later shipped out my stereo for Repair. The stereo has been replaced. During all this process they messed up the backlighting on the switches/buttons on my Climate Control (ac) panel as well as back lighting on the emergency switch + rear de-fogger switch (next to the watch). :cry:
    These are located on the center console above the stereo. I can't see the switches in dark now since they are not lighted up (no backlighting inside them). Now he is asking me to replace the panel which is all but crap. Can someone help as to where the problem could be. It used to work before and now both the panels are with no backlighting on the buttons. AC and all switches operate. I can see the ac/ watch display too but just the buttons are blind. I have tried the panel dimmer also but doesn't help. Please, anyone have an insight before I escalate the problem in dealership / BBB. Thanks!!! :cry:
    agreed with tdk930, pull any error codes first - go to autozone store and have them read your computer with a scan tool for free, it's theor policy, then look up the codes online and what can possibly cause those codes to come up. I wouldn't replace any parts before that
  • mdogramdogra Posts: 16
    Message #3273: 96 Maxima GLE, Dealership messed up my panel.. Help !

Someone... please help !!.
  • marcusd1marcusd1 Posts: 1
    Hello... I have 91 Maxima GXE that is overheating because the radiator fan does not come on when driving around town; both fans will come on if I turn the AC on...and then coolant temperature comes down to normal. The Dasboard Temp. Guage is functioning properly. Suggestions on what the problem is and/or checks I can do to find the problem?
    Thanks very much, marcusd1@yahoo.com
  • spikeia89spikeia89 Posts: 2
    I have recently failed a MD emissions test on my 98 Max with ~114K miles on it. They just connect to the ODBII and look for certain codes. I had 2 codes P0440 (EVAP system leak) and P1448 (EVAP canister vent control valve open) according to the Hayne's manual. Several people have told me that this is usually a loose gas cap. I cleared the codes started/stopped the car 5 times in a matter of 10 minutes. Used the ODB reader again and it was clean. I operated the car normally for a couple of weeks and then took the reading again. Same codes were back.

Has anyone ever seen this before? If so, is it likely just a bad gas cap or do I need to find this canister vent control valve?

Hayne's manual says the canister is located behind the gas tank. Is the vent control valve part of the canister?

Any help would be appreciated!
  • snowman15snowman15 Posts: 1
    I had my 2004 Max SE in the shop yesterday for this, as well as the lumbar recall. They said it was air in the coolant line which they blead. This removed the air which should remove the noise. I will keep you posted if it comes back but I did not hear it yesterday or this morning. The right front suspension component was not properly addressed as I heard the same loose sounding clunk on the compression and recoiling of the wheel this AM.
    EVAP canister is a canister that looks like a bucket and it's located on one side of the gas tank when you look at your undercarriage. It sits on the opposite side of the muffler and on the same side as the gas cap. P0440 may be caused by defective gas cap but when you get both P0440 and P1448 then the cause is one of the following: EVAP canister vent control valve, EVAP control system pressure sensor and circuit, Blocked rubber tube to EVAP canister vent control valve, Water separator, EVAP canister is saturated with water, Vacuum cut valve.

So, as you can see, you need to take the car to a shop and inspect the EVAP system, you'll be lucky if it's just some valve or hose, the worst case is the canister itself, which costs close to $400 from the dealer. I can't list the procedure to verify the exact defective component here, it's too long. Send me email to my user name on this forum @yahoo.com and I will send you the relevant section from Nissan service manual.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Posts: 225
    I had the same problem two years ago with my 97 GLE. I took it to the dealer, and the defective parts and hoses were replaced at a cost of approx. $500. Since I bought my three Maximas (third, fourth and fifth gens) from the same dealer, I was given a 25% discount on the service. If you look at Nissan's service bulletin, this is a known defect that affected many 4th gens. However, since my car was out of warranty when it happened, I had to pay for the repair, albeit at a discount.
  • mpd113mpd113 Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Maxima that allegedly according to the dealer states that even though I had an oil change as recently as 2000 miles ago the car died on me and they are saying the oil was scalded and burnt and 2 quarts down - there is only 29000 miles on this car and hadnt had any warning sign or anything - although prior to engine dying there was a rattle noise coming from the engine - any ideas what the issue is here - now NMAC is hassling me over receipts from service station stating they arent valid and warranty may not cover it
  • 04mxasl04mxasl Posts: 3
    My car has 42,000 miles and after my battery was drained we tried to jumpstart the car after 2 hours my headlights finally came on and thw windows started to work but the car still refused to start. I had the car towed to the dealership and they told me my starter needs to be replaced. I bought the car new in march 04. The car is just over 2 years old and I have to get the starter replaced?? Past experience dictates that once the first problem happens it is only a matter of time before it becomes a maintenance nightmare.

Anyone experience this problem I need to make a decision on what I should do next.
    I doubt that Nissan dealer prices are any indication of real-world cost of any repair. That $500 should run for $250 if not less at any descent shop. I recently had the following done in one visit at a private shop: valve cover gaskets/intake manifold gaskets/clean throttle body, all for $250. Just take a wild guess what the dealer quote was for this work.

They charge $90 per hour for labor plus retail price for any part plus tax and this only applies if they know what the issue is, in many cases they will charge you for a computerized diagnostic separately without any guarantee of fixing the issue. I wouldn't take the car with this issue to a dealer, a private shop should fix it for less.
    your starter may have become defective because you cranked it too much when battery was dead and it has nothing to do with any other parts. Whatever the reason, it should still be under warranty so if they want to replace it then let them, no big deal, it's even better, you get a new starter at 42K rather then having to pay for it at 80K.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,900
    General rule of thumb is to never crank a starter for more than 15 seconds. They will overheat easily if you keep cranking them, as they are not designed for that purpose....that is, prolonged use. They are high torque, short-term motors.

• 95max295max2 Posts: 9
    My 95 max, I have it for about three months, it has about 105,000. Sometimes, it act like it don't want to start, "the starter would not turn over I was told" Others says it might be my oxygen Sensor. When I put the heat on today the car begin to act like I was not giving it gas, jucking, then it cut out and took about two minutes to start and sometimes it cut out when I go to pull off. I have no car knowledge, any sugestion will be helpful.
  • oggioggi Posts: 1
    When I start the cold engine, it runs but does not rev up even if I floor the gas pedal. This lasts for about a minute. If I try to drive it during this minute, the car almost chokes and rolls very slowly. Then all of the sudden it goes into normal mode of operation, but there's still some hesitation when I accelerate. Got it diagnosed, but I get the feeling that the mechanic was unsure of the problem. He did say that everything points to the fuel pump temperature sensor and fuel pressure regulator. Has anyone experienced this issue? Please help, I am out of ideas.

PS I tested the fuel temperature sensor, it checked out ok measuring 2,300 Ohm at 20 degrees C.

I thank you all kindly!
    Help, Help!!! My 95 max is not starting, when I start it, it stays on for about 20 seconds then it acts like it is chocking and then is cuts out.

If this happened to you please post the solution to this problem or if you know what might be the cause please help.

Thank you very much
    GT
    This car was find before I put in a remote start alarm, I took it back to the shop and they checked it they said it not the problem, now is starts but not for more than 10-20 seconds. It acts like it is chocking then cuts out. Please HELP.

Thanks
    GT
  • unpdblunpdbl Posts: 7
    My 2000 maxima recently got a transmission fluid flush & fill w/ a new filter & gasket ($95.00) at that time the SES light was not on but previously was on for about 3 days, it has been going on & off for the past month. The mechanic said to bring it in when the light is on but said he got these codes from it PO171 & PO174 which he said it was running lean. He did a smoke test on engine & found no leaks but said it's possible that my mass air flow sensor is going bad & that it's very expensive. The car has 75,000 mi on it & has had reg maint done on it. It is due for a tune-up. The rpms have been revving & the car not moving when having to accelerate into heavy traffic, etc. but it seemed the trans flush & fill fixed that since I found this garage w/ a flushing machine. Could it be that it needed to be reset? Because it seems to be running fine now like it used to. My husband changed the serpentine belt (thanks to all of you out there who told him how to get to it!) & changed the air filter. But ultimately I'm the one who has to drive this car everyday & this stupid little light is very annoying. He feels all the garages out there just want your $$ & as long as it runs I should just drive it as he is a back yard mech/tractor trailer driver & is not used to all this computer stuff & these tight spaces to work in & never feels we should take any of our cars to the dealer cause they're all a rip-off. Well, enough of my rambling anyone who knows what we should do about these codes comments would be greatly appreciated! When I told the garage about my husband finding this site (edmunds) they said alot of those people don't know what they're talking about, but I feel different as we saved alot of $$ by everyone helping him change that belt ourselves & not having to put it in shop. Thanks again to all of you out there helping other Nissan owners w/ their problems I think this is a great website!!
    (unpdbl's wife) :)
  • garciavegagarciavega Posts: 1
    I too am having the same problem. My mechanic doesnt know the problem either. But asked around and some people told me to change the air mass flow sensor which im in the process of doing and going to see if this fixes the problem if not going to try the egr valve.
  • mastjmastj Posts: 14
    I had a similar problem - the salt and sand used on the roads in the winter "sandblasted" the paint off the rocker panels and the lower rear doors (right where they flare out, near the rear tires). This happened within the first 3k miles (Jan. & Feb. '05). After some pressuring, the dealership repainted the rocker panels and put 3M Rockguard tape over the rocker panel and lower rear door. Nissan covered this under warranty. The tape has lasted pretty well the last 20k miles, but it is worn from the constant sandblasting.

From my observation of other Maxima's, especially the darker colored ones, this appears to be a common problem.
    is your Service Engine Soon light on? Did the mechanic test it with an OBD2 scanner? If so, what codes he got? If you never tested it with OBD2 scanner then go to Autozone and have them test it for free and tell you any error codes. That should point you in the right direction but generally the possible issues you mentioned would usually be accomponied by an error code. Otherwise you can start by cleaning your throttle body and making sure your air filter is clean.
    Your transmission flush service has nothing to do with these codes. The codes indicate a fuel injection system not operating properly with mixture ratio being too lean. Possible causes are: Intake Air Leaks, Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Circuit, Injectors, Exhaust Gas Leaks, Incorrect Fuel Pressure, Lack Of Fuel, Mass Air Flow Sensor. The easiest thing is to check for exhaust leaks before the catalytic converter as well as for intake air leaks after the mass air flow sensor and then check fuel lines for leaks. If that's not it then it gets more difficult but there is a procedure for testing each component. Fuel pressure is tested with special guage, injectors can be removed and tested as well, etc... Start with easy checks I mentioned.
    Hi,

I have a 2K Maxima and my muffler assembly is leaking exhaust gas. There is small crack/hole right where the pipe is welded to the muffler on the engine side. This pipe is part of the muffler assembly and I don't feel like replacing the whole thing right now. I bought this exhaust patch in a form of a cream or greaze for $2 in AutoZone and it's supposed to dry up and weld the crack for good. Anyone had any experience with these cream patches at all? Is it going to work?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,900
    I don't see why a good muffler shop can't just weld the crack for you presuming it is not badly rusted.

Patches tend not to work because vibrations loosen them up. You could probably cobble something together with patch material and clamps, etc. but it's a short term fix and not so safe, since you don't want gases leaking into your car's interior. You can't smell CO.

• mlhovellmlhovell Posts: 2
    You seem to know alot about cars, I am having a problem and thought i would run it by you..I have a 95 maxima. It runs great. Had a new battery put in yesterday and now the check engine light is on. Took it straight back to Sears and they said the battery and system checks out ok. It does need a new battery cable and post, they put one on,but couldn't get the bolt loose on the other one. Said take to mechanic to do.. Could the light be something to do with the new battery or installation? OR is it as Sears thinks in the emission system... Any ideas? Thanks, Marcia