Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jillajilla Posts: 1
    I bought my Maxima new in July 2004, have an on-going problem with the dashboard readout screen. When the outside temp is 80 degrees or above the screen goes blank, the air kicks on, and when the inside temp goes down (maybe 15 minutes) later it will light back up, the clock loses the amount of time the screen was blank. Anyone else with this problem?
  • kzakkzak Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 maxima se that i bought in 03 with 17 thou miles on it, I havent really had any problems and now these past couples months, same prob coming back...My check engine light comes on and the car feels like its vibrating or bouncing when I turn it on, and when I'm driving too, it kinda feels like it stutters....sorry im a girl and dont know much about cars, so i know that's a bad description...PLEASE HELP if you can...already had a spark plug and coil replaced... (mechanic says diagnostic only shows random misfire)
  • klinklin Posts: 54
    Hello all,

I have a 2000 Maxima XLE with only 40K on it.
    The Service Engine Soon (SES) light keeps coming back every 2-4 weeks since November 2004.

A trusted and highly-rated local independent mechanic (who also owns a Maxima but 2002 model) solved the problem every time by re-setting since he could not root cause the problem.

In early March, the SES came back again. This time, he recommended to install a new oxygen sensor which cost me almost $250 :<. Now after only 2 weeks, the SES is resurrected :< :< again!

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I think my mechanic can be wrong. I also observed that the SES comes on whenever I have a hard rev on the engine, e.g. when passing.

Thanks again and in advance for any tips.
    KK
    Kzak,

My car is also vibrating with the SES light on.

Cheers,
    KK
  • shistershister Posts: 3
    took it to Advanced auto for a free diagnostic.
    trouble code:
    P0440 - EVAP SYSTEM LEAK/
    EVAP EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
    P0731 - GEAR 1 RATIO INCORRECT/
    A/T IST GEAR FAULT

Any help?
    im figuring EGR valve or Mass airflow sensor?
  • 11111111111111 Posts: 1
    Klin-

What type of gas are you using? From what I understand maximas run rich and require the use of a premium grade gasoline. If you are using regular or another lesser octane rating gasoline-this could be the cause of your troubles.
  • kzakkzak Posts: 13
    I have always used premium in mine... any suggestions...
  • Same problem as you it seems. I have Nissan Maxima 2000 with 98k on it.
    Check engine light comes on and the car starts randomly vibrating for first 5 to 10 min. Then works ok.
    Checked the code and got P1320 Ignition problem.
    Found the following Nissan service bulletin about it:
    http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-059.pdf
    According to the bulletin if the iginition coil replacement doesnt help , there might be a break in the ECCS harness wires...
    Does anyone know if one or 2 coils are bad , is it ok to drive still? Or with a break in some wire? Since it works ok after first 5 to 10min, don't know if it worth fixing...
  • i had the same problem and it turned out to be my ignition coils!!!!
  • sounds like your maf
  • when my coils went i had a gas smell and was advised not to drive veh.Owner manual says not to drive over 45mph when check engine light on !! Better off not driving at all
    Hi 1111111,

I always use premium gas.

BTW, the diagnostic code that prompted the O2 sensor replacement was 420 (Catalytic deficiency).

Now SES is on again even with 02 sensor replacement.

Anyone can help and provide some tips?

Thanks a lot
  • I am deciding for my first car between a 92 corolla and a 89 maxima. Please help.
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 923
    Generally with cars of that vintage, I'd say go for the newer car every time, especially if it has less miles on it. But you've left out a lot -- price? miles? previous owners? I assume you want primarily reliable transportation, in which either will fit the bill. Does size matter? Gas mileage?
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I disagree, I say go for the Maxima if they're in comparable condition. It's bigger, probably safer, and way more fun to drive. This is all things being equal between the two cars, like price, miles, condition, etc etc.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    I had a good laugh at your message. I have a '00 SE manual trans. I also have not been terribly impressed at the power of my Maxima V6. I have killed the motor from a stop more than any other manual shift car I've ever owned, its got such pathetic torque. Yes, if you "drive it like you stole it" and rev the crap out of it, it runs like a bat out of heck, but for 99% of driving it seems flat off-idle and if you're not "on the pipe" (a old motorcycle term for when a 2 stroke would get to the power band (influenced by the exhaust pipe)where it would suddenly get all the power at once)it can seem fairly SLOW. I also came from a domestic.

The GM 3.8, especially the supercharged version is a torque monster, the complete opposite of the max motor. The 3.8 doesn't really like to be wound up beyond 4-5 grand, but is a stump puller in terms of torque.

I am honestly thinking that for my driving, the Intrigue with the 3.5 shortstart would have been superior, despite being 7 hp short of the 222 listed for my car and having an automatic, it had excellent torque for a multi-valve motor.

The Nissan will have a lot better resale, if that makes you feel better.
  • stumped4stumped4 Posts: 1
    I recently replaced the spark plugs in my 99 maxima with Bosch plugs. The car was running terrible. After some searching I went back and replaced the plugs with NGK's. This cleared up 99% of the problem. But now when at idling at a light, the engine feels like it is going to kill then goes back to normal. This happens very quickly (maybe a second) giving the car a bumping feel. It can happen 4 or 5 times while sitting there. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • mastjmastj Posts: 14
    Dirkwork

Glad I could entertain you.... you know exactly what I'm talking about.... everybody here at work gets so excited about the 265hp in the Maxima.... but have puzzled looks on their faces when I tell them about the schear torque of the 3800 supercharged and how it REALLY pulls you back in the seat. The Maxima just doesn't have it.

I could live with the low torque - if the Max would just start when I wanted it too.... I guess I need to keep the old Regal w/ 125,000 miles just to have something reliable to drive.
  • roseysalroseysal Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima and the Bose Stereo system with a 6 cd changer. TWICE the speakers on the left side stopped working when a cd was playing. It was the cd changer so it was replaced twice. Well, this third unit is doing it AGAIN! I have 40K miles and it's more than 1 year since the last cd player replacement so Nissan is REFUSING TO REPLACE THE UNIT. It also scratches my cds! I have an extended warranty but it does not cover the cd changer. Did you know they used re-manufactored cd players as replacement parts! Don't even get me started on the paint chip problems. This car has the worst paint job since the '79 Monte Carlos.

I'm never buying another Nissan.
  • tmaxtmax Posts: 1
    Shouldn't emmission controls fall under a longer warranty (ie 60k mile)?