Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Has he checked the EGR valve? I have a 1999 Maxima SE & had to have it replaced.

before I replaced it my light would come on & then go off. It had a slight sputter at times & I also had to rev the motor up to pass.

Hope this helps.
  • falcon3falcon3 Posts: 1
    It has 155K on it and the automatic transmission has recently started to slip to the point where only 1 and 2 work, while D slips and causes the RPMS to spike. Is there some kind of band adjustment on this transmission or perhaps a switch that can be replaced, or is it just time for a newer model. It's too bad if that's the case becasue it runs great otherwise.
  • kzakkzak Posts: 13
    I have also been having a problem with my cd player and wasnt sure what to do...I wasnt having too many problems with it, except for it wouldnt play scrached cds...(duh) but now its not playing any cd's...even ones that worked perfectly before...I have a stock Bose..all it says is ERR (cd error) and spits it back out! Help if you can...thanks
  • shistershister Posts: 3
    Might be MAF, but THE SES light is saying its an evap system leak which leads me to believe it might be the EGR valve. I changed the fuel filter and pcv, it runs better but it has stalled after that. I may never figure out why the 1st gear ratio is giving me trouble. I do notice a little buck when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. I will never own another auto trans car in my lifetime though. anybody know any super deals on a MAF & EGR??
  • merdiemerdie Posts: 12
    How is the vibration problem now? Any recurrences?
  • At 75k my SES light came on. I was told that the computer may need to be reset. When I took the car for inspection, asked my mechanic to also check. When I picked my car up, light was off. This was in Jan 05. This month, March 05 the light came on again 77k. Mechanic said may be the sensors and I need to bring it to the dealer for the code. My question is should I bring to the dealer or can Auto Zone tell me what the dealer will for free? Check fuel cap as manual stated, but it's been a month now and I'm starting to worry, I travel 400 miles weekly Phila-DC and back. Any help would be appreciated.
  • I HAVE 45,000 MILES ON IT... DONT THINK I SHOULD BE HAVING THESE PROBLEMS..... ITS NOT THE STARTER....CAR HAS POWER... MAKES THE NOISE LIKE ITS GOING TO START BUT DOES NOT TURN OVER.......... HAS ANYONE HAD THIS PROBLEM...... ? :cry: :cry:
  • kewlmaxkewlmax Posts: 2
    I have 133,000 on mine and have had to replace all 3 catalytic converters and all 6 coil packs....ridiculous! Concerning your rich code, it could be the mass flow sensor is not allowing enough air into the engine. I had to replace that in mine as well :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice car to drive when she is working.....but in my experience, HIGH MAINTENANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • madmax6madmax6 Posts: 3
    i have a 96 maxima and i've been having the exact same problem as you had with your 97 maxima. I have replaced my knock sensor and that is fine. I have replaced the same O2 sensor twice and is still getting the same message. what did you do to fix it. thanks
  • madmax6madmax6 Posts: 3
    I have a 96 maxima and been having problems with my check engine light. I have replaced the same O2 sensor twice within the past month and it still does not solve the problem. I keep getting the message bank one sensor one, meaning a bad O2 sensor in that bank. does anyone know what else can give me that message? even if the oxygen sensor is fine. my engine runs fine, but it spudders a little bit between 1st and 2nd gear. That darn light wont go away.
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    I Have a 05 maxima SL I took it from NY to Florida twice I got 28 miles to the gallon on the trips highway driving but around town I get 14 to 16 miles I use high test 93 octane any one else getting this kind of mileage.I have automatic transmission.
  • blu8blu8 Posts: 3
    I own a 98 Maxima with 78k miles on it. I just recently purchased this car and unfortunately got into a bad accident. The car was fixed and recently the Check Engine light came on. The person I recently bought it from mentioned I might need an o2 sensor. Currently, the car shakes (or should I say engine shakes) when its in Reverse or Drive and I am experiencing VERY high rpms! Almost 6000 when going 70! Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be? I took it to Goodyear and they charged me $80 to read the computer. They said the problem was the Cold Air sensor but it wouldn't cause the shaking.
  • max16max16 Posts: 2
    Can anyone direct me to a site that gives instructions on replacing spark plugs in a 2000 SE? Also, the serp. belt and power str. belt?
    I posted this message yesterday...this kind of seems similar to the problem you responded to. Can you help me?:
    I own a 98 Maxima with 78k miles on it. I just recently purchased this car and unfortunately got into a bad accident. The car was fixed and recently the Check Engine light came on. The person I recently bought it from mentioned I might need an o2 sensor. Currently, the car shakes (or should I say engine shakes) when its in Reverse or Drive and I am experiencing VERY high rpms! Almost 6000 when going 70! Does anybody have any idea as to what the problem might be? I took it to Goodyear and they charged me $80 to read the computer. They said the problem was the Cold Air sensor but it wouldn't cause the shaking.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    Your 98 max - people love that year max, should be a good car, but sounds like you have a few problems. Did you get the car looked at prior to purchase?

Autozone will pull ODBII codes for free, I'm not sure if they offer more, I have my own system. There are other codes that are specific sometimes to manufacturers, and you have to buy a good scanner or pay dealer for those.

It also sounds like you are either not selecting "DRIVE" or the transmission is also having trouble.

This may be time to have the car evaluated to see how much money you want to put into it, although the miles are not very high, it could get expensive and I'm not sure how much you paid.

D
  • nissegnisseg Posts: 1
    The car developed a coolant leak a couple of months ago. Had to add approximately 5-6 liters of coolant over this period. Added tracer sensitive to UV (black) light into the system to try and trace leak. The dripping is visible on top of the oil pan's right front corner. The water pump pulley is above that spot. Had the car on the hoist, removed timing chain (which drives the water pump), and AC compressor and still couldn't find where the leak is coming from, even with the black light. The system was pressurized through the top of the radiator during this check.
    Has anybody experienced anything like that?
    Fortunately, I have not been experiencing the high rpm's. And I made a major mistake with the year...silly me. It is a 95 Maxima. I went to Autozone and they said they only pull codes from 96 and up. The car is still shaking a bit and I am hoping a tune up fixes this. Is it true most of the spark plugs are really hard to get to? Thanks for your response!
  • jchymesjchymes Posts: 1
    my SES light for my 98 max (119K) has been on steady reading knock sensor failure, ought the car with 60K on it so its time for a major tune up anyway. pep boys help me determine it may be bad coil and or spark plugs as i get some slight vibrations at certain speeds that go away when hitting the gas. Can you hook me up with the web site and guys name who can provide some coils at good prices, i've been seeing prices in the $80 range for each side. hit me on jchymes10@aol.com, thanks a lot for helpin me out, if you've heard about my problem before woudl you be so kind as to fill me in a bit. thanks again.
  • asis1976asis1976 Posts: 2
    I read somewhere here that there was a place where you could buy the coils for a good price. This person/place has them stocked. Does anyone have their number? Website?