Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• asis1976asis1976 Posts: 2
    please email me at sean@lay-lo.com with any info on cheap coils.
  • blbblb Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2004 Maxima SE with 6 speed manual transmission. The transmission grinds occasionally when shifting from 1st to 2nd (when cold out). Nissan replaced transmission and new transmission also grinds. Nissan had field service rep look at it and says it is normal gear noise. I have had several Nissan manual transmission and never experienced this problem. Has anyone had problems with Maxima 6 speed transmission?
  • 2002 se 5000 miles and had a faint hum when letting out the clutch like a throw out bearing, took the car to the dealer because it was under warrentee. they could not replicate the noise, so I drove the car for them and then they heard the hum, and then as if there was a god the clutch slipped with a ruff noise .The service called nissan and they put a new clutch plate in . 2000 miles later the hum is back , put a little grease on the throw out bearing and the noise went away for a week, back to service and a new pressure plate and a throw bearing all under 7000 miles they said, Oh we just happen too have your parts in stock --- from the last time and all I got was the friction plate, what am I stupid... traded it in for a 2005 sl automatic, A much eaeier ride less jerking around....any time a friction plate goes they should change the preasure plate cause they mate themselves,But alais they thought they would take the cheap way out.
  • fpasosfpasos Posts: 4
    I own a 99 maxima with 160000 miles, I had the belts replace at Goodyear. the belts squeak since then, I called Goodyear and they said I need a new Belt tensioner for an additional $130.00. they said that after certain time, it just wears out. my question, Did the dealer did something and not telling me or this is true.
    could i replace it myself?
    THank you
  • My 99 maxima has a similar problem, even with the original plugs. When idling at a light, it gives intermittent vibration pulses. And I can feel it while sitting there. So I went to the dealer and the dealer flushed the transimission, power steering, replaced the spark plugs, cleaned the fuel induction system. BUT, the problem is still there. And even worse, the SES light on. Went to dealer again, I was told misfire detected on cyclinder 2. And coils or fuel injector may need to be replaced. I don't know if these two problems are related.From your post it seems this problem is not rare. Now I have no trust of Nissan's quality.
  • ll91ll91 Posts: 1
    Okay, about 4 months ago, my car stopped after the anti-lock light flashed and wouldn't start up again after 2 or 3 jumps so we figured the cold weather killed the battery so I replaced my battery. After replacing my battery(Brand New Battery) the car stops again after 2 days so I let it be for a day or 2 and started it, it stalled and when I turned the engine off-it didn't start again. So, with in a week or 2, I got the alternator and generator replaced-the alternator was a rebuilt but every else was brand new- when everything was put in place, it ran fine- until now (3 months later). The car stopped again after the anti-lock light flashed, the radio cut off- 4 jumps got me home. Everything else worked, horn, power windows, lights, seatbelts accepted for the radio. I replaced my battery for the second time(Brand New battery) I'm able to start it but car still stalls when i turn headlights on or use window... right now I take 1 post off every night so battery wouldn't drain- but does anyone know what seems to be the problem???
  • I have a 99 maxima, 55k miles, has started to rough idle. My friend had a 96 maxima and had the same problem with his... when the engine is warmed up it wud idle at park at 800 rpm and i have no problem, but when im sitting at a light it will idle at idle at 500 rpm, sputter to 600 then drop down again and so on. Sometimes it will do it for a certain period of time and other times it will do it a couple times and stop and sit at 600. My friend found out what to do and did it to his and its fine now but it wont work for mine. I want to take it to a mechanic but dont want to get ripped and get nothing out of it. What should i do?
  • I was reading through this board and saw your problem. I have a 99 Maxima and had some rattling in the back of the car also. I thought it was the spoiler but that wasn't the case. It turned out to be these two rods in the trunk that run across from one hinge to the other and are located right behind the speakers. The rods were hitting each other causing the rattling or vibration sound. I just twisted the rods so they weren't touching any more. I hope this helps.
  • phopho Posts: 9
    Went to dealer for wind noise on the passanger rear window.They did'nt even test drive & said there was no problem. I was so pissed. 2nd time went to dealer with the TSB#01029 & they will fix it. I still have problems on brake noise & cold engine start up noise. Of course when I complained to dealer they said it is normal sound. Anybody knows where to find all the TSB for 2003 model.
  • max13max13 Posts: 1
    This is really weird but when my car is idle and the head lights are on it seems to have a light knock in the engine but when i turn the lights off it seems to sound normal also when Accelerating the car is very smooth no noise also no engine lights and know stalling
  • yea i had that problem with my max too especially since i have a sub, i just wrapped ducttape around them and it holds them together stoping the rattling
  • billt4billt4 Posts: 1
    I have the same seatbelt light problem in my Maxima and was wondering if you resolved your problem? If so could you let me know what it was?

Thanks

Bill
  • We think the rattling came from when we had the windows tinted. When the guy leaned on the back panel to tint the back window the pressure on that panel pushed it downward. My husband took off the back window brake light and shoved this thick padding used to make pillows down there. It no longer does it! Thank goodness! But, I will let my husband know what you said. That is interesting!
  • I know you posted your reply a very long time ago, but I was wondering if you had anymore information on installing the antenna for the 1993 Maxima. I got the part from an ebay-er and the instructions were pretty good, but it seems the 'wire' is not long enough. Any thoughts on if this is user error or did I get ripper by the ebayer and this antenna is not for 1993 Maxima as noted. Would the antenna's be different based on the model GXE vs SXE? :confuse:
  • mastjmastj Posts: 14
    Carman - you don't mention how many miles are on the car. I think that can make quite a difference. I've heard that during the first 2 -3k miles some engines are not efficient in the break in period. I had that issue with a previous car (a GM 3.8L that only got about 13-15 mpg during first 2k).

However, with my '05 Max SE, the mileage seems pretty level since day one. This morning I checked the computer and it says "23.8". I reset it at 3k miles and I have about 5k on it right now. The computer seems to be right on the money - since my manual calculations usually give me somewhere between 23 & 24. It does however seem like it is improving some...

Also, my normal drive to work is mostly highway (55 - 65mph) for 15 miles and then city start stop for the last 3 or 4 miles (35 -45mph). I'm not too much of a lead foot, but I like to make good time :D
  • mastjmastj Posts: 14
    Anyone else have an occurance where their '04 or 05 Max becomes "overfilled" will oil?

I had an oil change at 3k miles. I swear I checked it afterwards and it was properly filled. Now, after about a month - it was about 1/2 - 1 qt overfilled. I took it back to the garage that changed the oil, they drained it - looking for coolant or the smell of gas --- not finding either. They refilled with new oil and now its stayed level for a few days.

Also, I know that some of you may think the garage just screwed up.... I'm not convinced of this.... yet. It's my brother-in-laws garage, so I have complete confidence in their abilities (please no Click & Clack jokes here!) If they said they put 4 1/4 qts in it, I believe them.

Anyone else notice that it takes less than that to fill to the "full line" when they change their oil? :confuse:
  • shureeshuree Posts: 2
    I just bought a 1990 Maxima from an individual. The day I got it I had a problem starting it. It just wouldn't start, it would try, but just wouldn't kick over. It seemed that after running it a while and then shutting it off, you would have to wait at least 20 minutes to try it again. I took it to a shop and they put a little hand held computer on it and ran some tests, but showed no problems. Ironically while he was doing this, it started EVERY time. That was yesterday. Today I took it to work, ran fine, no problems. After it had been sitting for 2 hours I went to leave and it would not start. I had to press the accelerator all the way to the floor and it eventually started. Got it home, went to take a ride this evening and same thing, all the way to floor. Once started it seems to run fine, but tonight it seemed to want to die at a stop sign. Any ideas? This whole situation seems to be getting worse and I've only had it 4 days, but car seems to be worth putting some money into. I know it has a new battery, 2 new injectors, new plugs, wires and starter. Any help will be appreciated. :cry:
  • carman4carman4 Posts: 15
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY i HAVE 9700 MILES ON THE CAR tOM
  • Hey, I have a 1992 Maxima, and the car will cut out and die while I drive it, however, that is only at cruising speed, like driving on the freeway, but if I drive it hard, with my foot to the floor, it drives just fine. Anybody have this problem? Anybody know what's wrong with it?