Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• just a bit of advice a knock sensor will not turn on your check engine light
  • do you know what wd/40 is
  • shmameshmame Posts: 1
    i have a '91 maxima and we cannot get the trunk to work. neither the keypad, the trunk release button, or the key will work.
  • nvmaxnvmax Posts: 7
    I have 97 Maxima 108K miles and recently the SES light came up, turned out to be knock sensor. The repair guy estimated $300, I passed.
    My 97 Maxima's fan switch developed a problem. The fan does'nt start when knob is on positions 1,2 and 3. It starts only of '4', which is like getting gale force wind in the cabin. I am thinking of repairing it myself as I figure it should be as simple as either soldering the connections in the knob OR replacing it.

My only concern how do I remove the knob?. Do I just pop out the plastic case that houses it and other knobs by jimmying it with a scewdriver ? Did anyone did it before. I'll appreciate a reply.
  • just_philjust_phil Posts: 86
    Running with the bad knock sensor will negatively affect your gas mileage and engine performance (read horsepower). The part cost about $160, and the job is labor intensive, if you do it by the book, so $300 does not sound too bad. However, there's a shortcut that's documented elsewhere on the web. If you are mechanically inclined and have small hands (important for this job), you should be able to do it.
  • guadvasguadvas Posts: 2
    Hey guys, the actual adjustment is" Idle stop screw" adjustment. The adjusting screw is located above the big spring on the left side of the throttle body. It has a locknut on it and is adjusted using a star wrench.
    Thanks my friend. This is what I was looking for.
  • gchu5gchu5 Posts: 5
    Hi all,

I recently bought new 2005 Nissan Maxima. Experimenting with the 92 vs. 89 octane gasoline. What I noticed was that if I were to use Shell 89 octane gasoline, the fuel mileage ranges from 21 to 30 mpg, which is expected depending upon whether I am on city or highway drive.

To my biggest surprise is the Shell 92 V-power gasoline. I could never get the high-way mileage up to 23.7 mpg, from Seattle to Vancouver, travelling at 65 miles per hour cruise speed.

Any theory as to why this is?
  • highrollerhighroller Posts: 351
    I do not know why BUT i would just stick with the mid-grade 89 octane gasoline since you're getting better mileage off of it. The manual recommends 91 or higher, but it also said that you can use 87 octane. Personally, I would just use V-Power (because of its high additives for fuel cleaning) occasionally for tuneup purposes.
    Thanks Highroller.

Shell's V-Power 92 octane gasoline claims to have 5 times more detergents than the federal regulation specifies. It also claims to boost performance. However, I looked up my Nissan auto manual. The manual says to avoid gasolines with high detergent. Not sure who is right.
    Another thing that I noticed was that when using 92 octane gasoline, revving engine becomes a lot easier. In fact, I had to consciously not to overstep in order not to revv engine in high 3 ~ 4 thousand RPM range in lower gears (1st and 2nd gear).

Is this normal? This is the first time that I own a performance car (a new 2005 Nissan Maxima 3.5 SE). I am not sure if what I observe is expected.

I also noticed that when using 89 or less octane gasoline, it is not as easy to revv the engine in lower gears, as say, using 92 octane gasoline.
  • highrollerhighroller Posts: 351
    I don't remember anything about avoiding gasolines with high detergent. I do know that some new models like your car would suggest not using fuel injectors, etc. I would only say that if your manual says not to use fuel with high amounts of additvies, then you should follow your manual, it's always the best advice. Now personally for me, I would never use lower than a 89 octane. If you keep using 89 and notice pinging or knock noises, switch to premium for a couple of applications, though i believe it'll be rare. Even though the prices for gas is off the roof, premium fuel is always the best for our cars because higher octane burns more SLOWLY thats why high compression cars like ourselves need these premium fuels. Now it doesn't hurt to go from premium back down to 89, you're just not running as good and powerful as you could be. Using the recommended premium fuel, it causes slower burn allowing the gas to be more resistant to pressure, meaning it can be compressed more before it explodes on its own without the spark. If you degrade from 92 to 89, it CAN to a point cause your ECU to notice the degraded octane and retard timing, thus less power output and sluggish pedal feet. Remember to use only Top Tier Gas: you can find these gas at Shell, QuickTrip, Chevron,etc. www.toptiergas.com
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    My '02 Max stalled out on the way home a few days ago. Turns out that they have to replace the mass air flow sensor - to the tune of $800. Ouch. Naturally I'm just out of warranty - 3 yrs, 2 months and 41,000 miles. Pretty hefty bill for a pretty young car. I'm not too happy about it.

But anyway, the symptoms were that it would start up and then almost immediately stall out, in case anyone else encounters it.
  • charliekcharliek Posts: 3
    There is a Technical Service Bulletin put out by Nissan for the 2004 Maxima, 04-085, that says how they are supposed to fix the shimmy. It involves match mounting the tires and then match mounting them to the hubs. I finally had it with them and was going to go to a Lemon Law. The car is now in the shop. Nissan engineers came out and think the only way to solve the problem is to replace the whole front end steering with a 2005 steering rack which they are doing with factory techs today. You have to get on these people or they will blow you off. The service rep. tried to tell me it was a high performance car and that all of them have a shimmy.
  • ggaudreauggaudreau Posts: 1
    Hi,

Just had a complete overhaul done on my rear breaks for my Maxima 2004 after less than 27000 miles, break pads, discs, 485$ worth!

Has anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks

Guy
    :( :( :(
  • hound97hound97 Posts: 22
    Anyone know where the jack points would be on a 2001 maxima if I juse a hydraulic floor jack rather than the factory jack? My hydraulic jack has basically a small deep plate so it won't match up with the recommended jack points.
  • I too have experienced the mysterious bumping/vibration pulse sensation at stoplights in my 99 Maxima SE at 57,000 miles. In my experience the problem occurs when the car is in reverse or drive and is worst when the air conditioner is running. I have had it checked several professional technicians and none will give me a straight answer as to the exact cause. Two months ago, I had a service engine light come on after experiencing the problem for several weeks. The code indicated a bad rear O2 sensor which I replaced myself. Thankfully, I have not experienced the vibration problem after replacing the O2 sensor. Before that, it was driving me crazy! Does anyone know for sure if a bad O2 sensor could cause these vibration pulses? It appears from my surfing that this problem is not unusual for Maximas of this vintage. It seems like someone out there should know by now exactly what this problem is by now! Please share your wisdom!