Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,282
    I'd go back to church if that's all I'll be spending on my Mini Cooper in the next 160,000 miles. :P

Those all seem "normal" repairs to me for 160K, except for the rear calipers---that's just not right, 3Xs.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• I have a 1996 Maxim a GLE with 144k on it – all original suspension. Back end has been swimming around a bit, especially when I hit a pot hole. I know I need to replace the front/rear shocks, no brainer. But a mechanic described another piece that distributes the weight between the front and back of the car. He said that should get replaced as well and the part costs a couple hundred bucks.
    Here’s the problem, he can’t remember the name of the part. He thinks it might be called a “rear suspension crossbeam” or “rear control arm”. (I know what you are thinking, find a new mechanic!) I googled rear suspension and don’t see anything like what he described. Anyone else have any ideas?
  • alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    I think he meant 3 front and 1 rear since max is FWD
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    I have a 2006 Maxima with 55k miles. The back of the car is looking to be running low compared to the front of the car (rear suspension sagging?) and I'm starting to think about having someone take a look at the rear suspension.

Does anyone have any ideas as to good places to take it? I'm new to my area and don't know any good local mechanics, so it's probably going to be some national chain.
  • rcmaxrcmax Posts: 11
    I meant 3 rear calipers. Even I am surprised how rear ones got bad that quick, either bad workmanship or bad parts.
  • I've had pretty good sucess with the Firestone chain. I haven't had them do suspension work, but they seem pretty good on other work (brakes, radiator, transmission). Also, if you have their credit card they offer 0% interest for 90 days on repairs.
  • mfrmfr Posts: 1
    I've got a 1992 Nissan Maxima that I just put in a new window motor. After I got done with it I tried to start the car but absolutely nothing, no sounds, no lights, no power to anything, a completely dead electrical systems. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, MFR
  • Did you disconnect the battery to install? Or did you install in with the battery connected,You may have blown a fuse. Box is: one under the hood and another under the dash. You want the one that says power accessories or power windows,
    Make sure your battery connections are right, tight and clean.
    Let me know how you make out.
  • ediazediaz Posts: 1
    My washer fluid light won't go out. Fill it up, stays on. I can see what I believe is the sensor through a little hole just behind the right front bumper, but it doesn't look real easy to get at. Solutions?
  • Time to replace your shocks and struts. Had the exact same problem on my '07. Go to KYB and by the GR-2 shocks. They made the car handle like new and got rid of that annoying ride issue. Also, two of them were leaking oil so no doubt they werent working right. The KYB shocks were a bit heavier than the Nissan shocks so I think probably a bit more durable. Get em on line.
  • poodog13poodog13 Posts: 320
    Not familiar with KYB, but I'm guessing that when you say get them online, you must have done the work yourself. I don't even change my own oil, so that's not an option for me.
  • gpenagpena Posts: 4
    My girlfriend owns a Nissan maxima '98 and she has been having some sensor problems. The first was her knock and after a month the crank, oxygen and 3 other codes came up. with labor it will come around to $3000. we just got the car in January for $4800 and we don't have the money to fix this. i want to know what the real problem is.

The engine makes a put put noise and struggles past 25 MPH. :sick:
  • caugncaugn Posts: 30
    I have recently replaced 2 O2 sensors and the knock sensor. The O2 sensors are easy to replace yourself and the knock sensor can be but is a pain to reach as its under the manifold. I'm not sure if the crank sensor would be causing your problem or not. It sounds to me like you may have a clogged catalytic converter. There are 3 of them on your 98. One on each y pipe coming from the manifold and one in line before the center mufler. Replacing that or simply removing it and replacing with straight pipe would be my first choice of a fix. The car should run fine with the bad sensors. I have a 97 with 217000 miles and drove for a few years with the same bad sensors with no noticble loss of power or gas mileage.
    Sounds like you need a 2nd opinion. Trouble codes don't tell you which components are defective. If a mechanic just wants to replace whatever part is associated with each code, that's plain wrong.

Trouble codes only tell you which systems or components are in distress--they could be disturbed by an entirely different problem than the component itself.

thank you so much, still looking into it, the car is just sitting in the yard and we keep looking for ideas on how to fix this problem.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    A reporter is hoping to interview people who sent NHTSA a complaint about their car during 2010. Please respond by Thursday, December 23, 2010 to pr@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Did you ever get your Maxima fixed? I have the same problem
  • Did you or anyone find a fix intermittent acceleration/shuddering problem on the early 90's Nissan Maxima?
    same problem, and its not fixed.. we are thinking about selling it but are not sure.
  • hi, i had that exact problem but my new mechanic fixed it by replacing a sehnsor somewhere, if you like, i can ask him more about it, but i had this problem for two years before finally getting it fixed for good going on six months now.

don't sell if you like your car, i like mine.
    well like i said, its her car. her first was a truck so i was thinking about selling the maxima and getting a CR-V, i have had no problems with my honda accord and its going on to 20 years old so i am thinking about just staying away from everything exept hondas. she has had a chevy, cristler, and now the nissan and they have all not lasted more then a year. my honda accord is my first car and my only car! why has she had such bad luck with her automotives?! i'll post up when i deside on what to do with the car.
  • gmt22gmt22 Posts: 1
    I just replaced both of my O2 sensors it cost me in total $160 and 2 hours of my time. The knock sensor will come next and thats around $100 and maybe an hour in time. thet most difficult part is trying to get your hands to fit all around the parts to run the wires. when you learn to do these things yourself it can safe up to $2500.00 dollars.
  • this is simple, when you pullyour center console apart, there is only one Ribbon type wire connected to the back of your heater controls, the other end of this ribbon wire is connected to a control module that also controls your gauges, i bought this part from LKQ on EBAY for 38 bucks last week, but your might have just got disonnected. Good luck
  • I have a 1998 Nissan Maxima with 146K miles and I'm living in Kansas. When I start my car in the winter early morning for the last few days, the engine is cranking without starting. The engine will crank for few seconds and it will shut off. After 9-10 tries, the engine will start. The battery seems to be fine.After I drive the car for some time and if I start the car within 3-4 hours , it is starting fine. When I went to the mechanic , he told me that everything seems to be fine with the engine(at the time when I went to mechanic yesterday my car stated with one try). Can you please provide suggestion what can I do to correct this problem. Thanks!
  • I have a 99 Nissan Maxima, I'm having trouble with my fan switch it only blows air when it want too no matter what number between 1 to 4 I putted on. When it come on it works great on any setting, other time it won't do anythling. Need help.
  • I have 96 Nissan Maxima. Took off intake manifold, disconnected everything on top, replaced spark plugs. Replaced battery. Disconnected crankshaft and camshaft sensors. Everything together but it wont start. Starter turns it over. What is the order of things to check? Since it doesn't run, can use anything that requires that.
    :confuse:
    Hope you can help.
    I have 05 max with original HIDs. I know these lights don't last forever and when I had one of my turn signals burned out i wanted to try to remove a headlight. I ended up removing coolant tank and replacing turn signal. For future reference when i will be replacing headlights, I found 2 screws , but apparently there is 3rd one hidden somewhere. My mechanic is telling me that I need to go to body shop and remove bumper to have it replaced. Is there an easier way?
    You don't need to do anything like that if you replace the bulb, but if you want to replace the entire headlamp assembly you will need to remove the front fascia that surrounds it.

my problem i have no access to headlight bulb. Even with coolant tank removed i cannot get to the bulb