Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• IM having a problem w/ my check engine light coming on . Coder says # 1& 2 fuel bank to rich so i had all 02 sensors changed 60 miles later light came back on codes reading the same problem ! Any ideas out there thanks :mad: :cry:
  • phyllisdphyllisd Posts: 3
    Are 2002 Maxima's known for the gas cap wearing out?
    My '02 Maxima with 32,500 miles has the check engine light on. I took it to Advanced Auto and the code came up as "EVAP emission control". They suggested replacing the gas cap since it had been at least a week since I gotten gas. (so I don't think it was that the cap wasn't replaced tightly) Has anyone replaced the cap and still had the light remain on?
    How about cutting the plastic string so it doesn't get tangled around the gas cap?
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    I would recommend Brembo blank rotors as replacement rotors from tirerack. I spent about $100 for a set of rotors and about $16 for nissan pads from their parts store and haven't had warped rotors since. My 01 OEM rotors warped at about 20k miles. 30k miles after the new pads/rotors, she still stops as smooth as ever. I wouldn't recommend Nissan OEM rotors. They're just going to put the same sorry OEM rotors on your Maxima, then 6 months later you'll be right back where you are now. Even if you don't get the Brembo's, do yourself a favor and skip the Nissan rotors.
  • mems4mems4 Posts: 2
    You might want to try taking it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. I am having trouble with my SES light for O2 sensors and from previous posts I learned that TSB NTB00-070a will cover the reprogramming free of charge. I hope this helps you. I am still getting code P0141 which is near impossible to get any information on. The dealer wants to diagnosis the wiring harness but I am reluctant to continuing to spend hundreds of dollars on diagnostics.
  • after replacing 02 sen do you have to have computer re programed at dealer?
  • kzakkzak Posts: 13
    Hi hopes this helps:
    I have 2000 maxima with 32,000 miles on it and i had a problem with my service engine soon light...it would come on and off and also flash when i accelerated.... i took it to the dealer and paid $600 to replace the ignition coils ( if that is your problem, get it done elsewhere for cheaper!!) it fixed the problem, hope it helps
  • gtwgtw Posts: 46
    My wife stalled out in traffic yesterday in her 04 SL. I tried jumping the car , but it didn't get far after starting. Took battery to AutoZone and charged it. Today she went to dealer and found out the alternator is bad. 18K miles and 22 months old. This is really sad. On a positive note, they are replacing it under warranty.
  • jg28jg28 Posts: 257
    What exactly and yes I mean exactly (part numbers, part specifications etc) are the differences in the suspensions between the SE and GLE 2002 Maxima models? I know the SE suspension is supposedly stiffer and all the reviews online mention the SE having a stiffer suspension but all the struts, shocks and springs have the same part number associated with them and every nissan dealership contacted says the suspensions are the same. How can this be?

I remember test driving both the GLE and GXE models and noting the softer suspensions of each. I have an SE and would like the softer ride of the GLE and/or GXE. Does anyone know any exact specifics regarding the differences?

Anyone know?
  • jm1206jm1206 Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 Nissan Maxima SE Limited, i have recently been having problems just like this. First, at stop light or when running idle, it sort of "chugs" a little bit and does seem like its firing on all cyclinders. Then I went to go accelerate onto the freeway, it chugged alot and then the 'service engine soon' light came on. I put the car away over night and then in the morning the check engine light did not come on again. But it still does chug a little bit. What should I do you think? Get a tune up or get a diagnostic test?
  • jm1206jm1206 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem on my 99 Maxima SE Limited....do you know how much that all cost you?
  • highrollerhighroller Posts: 351
    Hi, does anyone know where i can find the cabin filter for my 96 nissan maxima? Thanks for the help.
  • Hi Mattymc311
    I have exactly the same problem as yours. a 96 maxima and the fan works only on high. I was wondering if your problem is solved and would appreciate any help that you can provide
    Thanks very much
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    I have an '02 Max and I'm going to be replacing the battery myself this weekend. Does anyone know if there's going to be any issues with the security system locking me out if I just disconnect the old battery and stick in a new one?
  • maxima_95maxima_95 Posts: 1
    Hi,

I bought a 1995 Nissan Maxima, and I see the intermittent problem with Windows - sometimes they come down by about couple of inches on their own. Can this be fixed?

Thanks
    I had the same problem, i had to replace 2 O2 sensors and a knock sensor which cost me about $900. After getting all my sensors replaced, my car was check engine light free but until just 1 hr when after turning on the car again, the engine light lit on. Took it back to the dealership that same day and they told me that i needed a Idle Air Control valve costing about $180. They scan the car through a computer and they told me something about my IAC valve was bad so in order to get rid of the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, i needed to replace it. They said that they could reset the check engine light, but they said that since my IAC valve was bad, resetting the light wouldnt help because it would just be a matter of time before the light comes on again (the IAC valve is for efficient air pressure going to the engine, etc. i didnt really follow the tech.) i had to replace it. So far, the engine light is not on. They also told me that there's about 140 ways for the engine light to come on and changing spark plugs is one of them. Hope this help some and good luck.
    Hi, hopefully someone here nice can help me with this problem on my 96 Maxima. There's light in the engine coolant temperature gauge and part of the tachometer but there's no light shown in my speedometer, odometer, or the fuel gauge at all... I was driving at home tonight and turned on my headlights just to see that i can't READ how fast im going (i was driving in a fun filled cop stakeout/neighborhood area!!) Can someone tell me how can i change the bulb in these things or how difficult the task is? I appreciate the help alot.
  • kgraffkgraff Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Maxima SE. The SES light keeps coming on. I brought it to my non-dealer mechanic and he diagnosed a "lean left bank" citing no particular cylinder cylinder. The plugs needed changing anyway, so he did that and two of them looked much newer than the other four. He keeps saying it sounds like there's a vacuum leak, but when he removed the upper intake plenum, everything checked out. After 5 or 6 resets of the light he wants to keep searching. He's been gracious and hasn't charged anything, but it's getting frustrating. Does anyone have any idea what the actual problem is? I'd appreciate the help. Thank you.
  • segedusegedu Posts: 1
    Hi, while driving this morning the radio starts to loose power and shuts off, I have noticed the Battery and Brake warning light come on last night, and was still on this morning checked the brake fluid level and that was fine. On parking the car I rev the engine, it sounds fine but I notice that there seems to be loss of electrical power in the whole car because the windows wind up really slow. I shut the engine off, and try to re-start the car, but it just goes flat with a rattling sound, all the lights come on in the dash so I don't think its a weak battery... now am going to go back and see if it will start again after cooling for a while if not I have to get the car towed.... Any advice would be appreciated on what the possible problems could be. I am also going to check the fuses (any particular fuse to check?)

Thanks!
  • mastjmastj Posts: 14
    Pat:

FYI.... the cars that I have had in the past, mostly GM and even my '05 Maxima start when they are in Neutral. My understanding is that this is a safety feature.... i.e. if your car stalls (engine dies) on a freeway, you can simply put it in Neutral and restart the car (hopefully) and then put it back in drive and continue on.

If you could only start the car in Park, then you would have to come to a complete stop in the middle of the freeway, put it in Park, restart the car, and then place back in Drive. And to answer a question in the back of your mind - no, you can't put a car in Park while driving down the highway at 70.... it will do serious damage to the transmission.

I find this very interesting that this question was asked.... I feel somewhat old because of it - since I remember the junk we had for cars in the 70's and 80's that frequently stalled for no reason whatsoever (And you rarely thought much about it). Now, if your car stalls, it is usually once in a blue moon and reason for concern.

Hope this helps the youngsters out there!!!

Jerry
  • dahuberdahuber Posts: 53
    If it's the same as a 2001 Maxima, look behind the glove box under the dash.