Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• haropharop Posts: 59
    I tried to find "idle/stall" topic and cannot. Could you please tell how to find it. It would have been nice if it was a hyperlink in your message.

Thanks,
    -haro
  • gtwgtw Posts: 46
    Change the cabin filter
  • dmaljunkdmaljunk Posts: 160
    The forum is called "Idle and Stalling Problems - All Vehicles".
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,404
    here you go:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.ef13c30/283

You should "bookmark" any topic you post in so you don't get lost. We have so many topics it's not hard to forget where you were!

best

Host

• Thanks for the tip--I just ordered one since the manual says to change every 15000 miles and I now have 16000 on my Maxima. Hope it helps!
  • I have a 2005 Maxima SL with a little over 12000 miles. I have a similar problem and have changed grades of gas and where I fill up. Nothing seems to work. I even smell the stink when I stop my car, the cabin of my car always smells too.
  • I'm having exactly the same problem. Fifth mechanic today in a matter of fact and still can not diagnose the problem. I changed the starter fuel filter and this close to change the crank sensor. But I am a little bit hesitant because I have no check engine light. Any luck with you car, I'll keep you posted with what my mechanic finds out.

John...
  • my maxima is 96 se and i have the same problem when its cold it dosent work (in the morning) it takes like 3 to 4 times to turn the engin on, and later i mean in the same day it works fine like nothing wrong with it but when its hot it turns on from the first time... so people told me the problem connected to cold start senser, this senser give more gas to the injectores when its cold... but i could not find where is this senser. and there is hot start senser tooo. note O2 senser works when the car is hot only.. . please let me know if u find something..
  • I have Maxima 96, it doesnt work in cold morning only, but the rest of the day it turn from the first hit even if its cold...on hot weather it works perfect... and no engine light. i use supreme gas, new egr valve and i clean the intake, what would be the problem..thank you people...
    New EGR valve? what about the tubes and passages coming from it? I had this on my 2000 Max, look in the idling and starting problems forum for all messages. Sensor will produce a service engine soon light. I looked into coolant temp sensor, maf, air leaks in intake, idle air control valve, computer itself... In the end it tuned out to be a clogged egr valve tube, the one that goes from intake manifold to egr valve. Manifold needs to be removed to get to it. After I had it fixed I found a lot of articles online saying that clogged egr valve passages are the leading cause for idling issues. I would suggest removing your manifold, check that tube, replace manifold gaskets since it's already off, clean throttle body as it should come off with the manifold, inspect idle air control valve since it will be easily accessible then and see if you can clean it. Any way, you have do some exploratory surgery there, once you remove the manifold then you will have access to potential problem areas. But it's not the sensors, they may be old but a non-working sesnor will display a ses light and most likely misbehave in any weather too. Oh ye, if you hear intermittent pinging then it is definitely the clogged up egr tube.b
  • thanks for reply, yes i change the EGR and cleaned all the system connected to it. I changed the coolant temp. senser and the knock senser, new air and fuel filters, they checked the spark plugs and all good i did all these at Nissaan dealer.. but after i changed the egr and cleaned the system the engin light goes on and i checked it and it is the O2 senser they told me it might be dirt or something so i used fuel inj. cleaner and it turned off by itself and its been off so far 3 months.but why only this problem happen on first start in the morning before the sun hit the car on cold morning like 35 to 50? i go to work at 6 am but on weekend i wake up at 10 or 11 so when i turn the engin on from the first hit it works normal... some people told me one of the senser get effected by the dew !! so i think thats interesting.. any ideas
    not sure then, the only thing is that when you do service at the dealer you don't really see the car and what exactly they are doing. They may have said that they cleaned all pessages to egr valve but in reality may be they didn't. I had experience with dealers and I learned that they only change the part but often have no idea or don't want to waste time doing anything else. It's hard to tell but in my experience if you have a problem only in the cold morning then it's got to be something clogged up or cracked/old gasket, which shrinks in the cold and expands back to normal when engine warms up. I heard one guy had a cracked manifold gasket, which was causing it. I would go to reputable mechanic and ask him to remove the intake manifold and inspect everything real good, all gaskets, tubes, hoses, once the manifold is off then you get a nice view. Should cost you a couple hundred but that's how you find the problem. Good luck
  • is that what you think it is???/
  • is there a reason my car will not idle right???? it acts like it is starving for gas..but will not idle..i dont understand
  • I own a nissan maxima 01 GLE -Meridian edition. Since I purchased the car, i seem to have problems with the heated seats. I talked to the dealer and as usual their answer has been "there is no problem with the car". well it takes 5 minutes for the seats to get heated :surprise: . I was driving my friends VW the other day and it takes just 30 seconds. I live just 5 minutes from work, and now the heated seats in the winter seem useless to me. can anyone help? is there a way to turn up the heat on the seats? thanks
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 923
    I also have an '01 GLE. There are two settings, low and high. On high mine take about 2 minutes to warm up, a little longer than the ones on my Mazda6. How cold is it where you live?
  • thanks for your reply
    its gets to about -5F some days. But on an average we are at freezing temperatures for 4 months a year. And yes my maxima has the High and Low settings as well.
  • My Maxima SL 2005 AT, It usually takes 2 - 3 times to get it started if I use Shell 93 gasoline . That is something not seen if I use ESSO (EXXON), TEXACO or GULF brands.

Any idea ?????
  • morehpmorehp Posts: 30
    Your experience with the seat heaters is typical of mine (1995 model). Around 5 minutes to generate significant warmth. I don't think there is anything "wrong" with your car... it's just that in my experience most other manufacturers' heaters (Audi, VW, MB, BMW, Lexus/Toyota, Honda/Acura) work considerably faster.