Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• gslevegsleve Posts: 183
    check the PCV valve, see if it needs to be replaced could be defective, however I would have them do a full diagnostic to investigate why this is an issue I own a 98 have never experienced this problem with this car niether others I've owned over the years, yet have heard that the PVC valve was the culprit particularly with car older and quite a few miles on them. However to answer the heart of the question NO this is NOT NORMAL
  • Finally experienced this problem this weekend. I was going through a highway corner (posted at 50 mph) at 80 and hit a bump in the freeway.

My goodness! The whole back end came off the ground! It caught the ground again but it was not a real pleasant experience! But hey, if that is the only bad thing that has happened, then no big deal. An IRS would make the car perfect.

Other than that, my 02 Maxima SE has been an absolutely "flawless" vehicle for the first 5,800 miles.
  • I just changed our '00's air filter at 12,000 miles and it had more oil on it than I would have expected, but not all in one area like you described. I use Mobil 1 10-30 and wife and I drive pretty geezerly most of the time and only occassionally get on it. I would be curious if others have oily air filters. I can post a picture of my filter if I figured out how to do it easily. I have read the faq on it and its not simple.

S
  • gtspecgtspec Posts: 55
    After getting my first oil change on my 2002 SE (3100 miles) I finally get a chance to test the performance of this 255HP engine. WOW! It is FAST!

Has any 2002 Maxima owner notice some "slight vibration" on the steering wheel when the car is in "D" (Drive) and at idling speed (500~600 RPM)??? I don't know if this slight vibration on the steering wheel is normal consider that it's a brand new car. I only used premium gas (as suggested on the manual). Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    I had that recently with only 3,000 on the air filter. PCV valve was bad. There may be other reasons such as an Oxygen sensor, or timing. But this one is a 5 buck fix.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Posts: 313
    Well, we did have a bad o2 sensor in November. But it was only out a few days and I'm not getting how that would affect the air filter. Blow-by could come past the rings, load up the crankcase with pressure and force oil out the pcv valve under harsh driving, but as I indicated, I'm not a hard driver and only get into it merging on the highway a few times a week. I also had a dodge turbo motor previously with Mobil 1, and if a motor would have blow-by, you would think it was the motor that had 12psi of boost and was driven when I was younger.

I'll check the PCV filter, that should be easy.

DD
  • vanbo57vanbo57 Posts: 46
    I have read here in the past of the paint issue (ie easy chipping). Well, it is true. My Gray lustre '01 SE has 4700 miles (mixed driving) and I have 5 quite noticable chips on the hood not to mention a couple on the drivers side rear door, (not dings, CHIPS). Quite distressing as I have never had a car chip up so incredibly fast. This is really happening fast - really fast. Not good. I believe that the only thing that I can do is try not to follow other cars to close and try to keep the car waxed but, I am not optimistic about this. It WILL affect the resale down the road I believe. It is a shame because this is such a great car otherwise. Nothing can be done I suppose. I will show the dealer when I go for my second "service) in a couple of weeks however I doubt that will do any good. By the way, why does the dealer service say that they "set timing" ("service level 2") at 7500 miles? It is probably just part of the $160 rip off when all that is really needed is the oil change and rotate tires. Thanks.
  • al57al57 Posts: 67
    i have read on previous posts about the changing of a tcm module to remedy a sloppy 1st to 2nd shift on medium throttle. car has only 7800 miles so went to the dealer and he said it was normal--they all do that..forgot to bring nissan tsb paper showing the problem and remedy..said he would call nissan and get some info..i can't be the first complaint...sales manager came out and said drive the car with overdrive button out since overdrive is really in effect at high speeds and the shifting will be more positive..after leaving dealer with od button out the car seems to shift about the same and about 40 miles per hour the car feels like its holding back like its looking for overdrive..the manual says nothing about driving the car without od until you reach a certain speed and then click the button..any info????
  • fourwd1fourwd1 Posts: 11
    Normally I get gradually warmer air as the system heats up. Suddenly I can not get hot air through the ventilation system for maybe 25 min, even though the temp gauge shows normal operating temp after say 5 min. It blows cold air even when the coolant is hot, I can feel the hose in the engine compartment feeding the heater core is hot, the vacum controlled valve is in the 'heat' position (in fact it seems to always be in this position). Yet I have cold air until some point, when something unknown occurs and I get hot air.

The motor that changes where the air exits seems to be doing it's thing, I can see the linkages moving as I push the buttons for Floor, Bi-Level, etc. I know there is a flap or door that covers the heater core to prevent air flow, but it is hidden so I can not see if it changes state. And if it is that door, what could be controlling it and retarding it's opening for so long?

Any ideas? it's making for a cold drive to work until I'm halfway there.

Oh, and once it is functioning properly it seems to be OK if it's parked for a while. I can get warm then increasingly hotter air as it comes back up to full operating temp.
  • I have an 02 SE and the steering wheel does NOT vibrate at idle. Nice and smooth, this car! :)
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Posts: 313
    I can tell ya my shadetree mechanic diagnosis -

You must have a temp door stuck or something obstructed. Maybe a partial vac leak or something.

If the hose is hot, hot coolant is circulating, yer core is probably hot, That leaves one thing. its something to do with yer climate controls.

A vac tester can be used to test the system, I'd guess your vac motor to one of the doors is leaking and hardly works. They are soft rubber inside and do fail, I replaced on my '95 Ram, it was $30+ for something that weighed 1/2 ounce or something like that.

Good luck
  • mrdetailermrdetailer Posts: 1,118
    If this is unusual, check the coolant levels. Add if needed, and then check again in a week.

I have another car that looses fluid rapidly into the resevoir. When it gets to a certain point, the heater will not work. simply moving the fluid from the tank back into the radiator allows it to heat correctly.

I now check it's levels monthly.
  • cgmax2kcgmax2k Posts: 27
    MY 2000 SE HAS 27K ON IT AND I JUST TOOK IT IN FOR SERVICE TO FIND OUT WHY MY SERVICE ENGINE LIGHT WAS ON FOR THE FOURTH TIME. THE FIRST TIME THE DEALER "RESET" THE LIGHT AND THE SECOND AND THIRD TIME THE LIGHT WENT OFF BEFORE I HAD THE CHANCE TO BRING IT IN. THIS TIME I TOOK IT TO A DIFFERENT DEALER AND TURNS OUT THAT THE COILS WERE BAD. THE CAR ALSO RAN A LITTLE ROUGH ALMOST AS IF IT WERE RUNNING ON 5 CYLINDERS SO THIS SHOULD TAKE CARE OF BOTH PROBLEMS.
    Hi,

I have a question. I took my car in for service yesterday for the service engine light which they fixed (coils) but they could not find or hear the noise that I hear from the front end, maybe the snow had something to do with it. Anyway, I hear a constant squeek, not to loud, as the car goes over small bumps front the front end, almost as if it needed to be greased. I can replicate this squeek which can be heard very clear when closing the front doors!! It was to cold yesterday so whatever it is was probably frozen/had water or snow and the dealer did not hear anything. The dealer said he checked the front end and everything looked ok but the noise was still there today. When I was bringing home the car yesterday I didnt hear it. He did say to stop by one day when the weather was better to see if they can figure it out. Has anyone had this problem? Again, the noise can be heard rather easily with the radio off and again when closing either front door. Any ideas??
    Hi,

I have a question. I took my car in for service yesterday for the service engine light which they fixed (coils) but they could not find or hear the noise that I hear from the front end, maybe the snow had something to do with it. Anyway, I hear a constant squeak, not to loud, as the car goes over small bumps front the front end, almost as if it needed to be greased. I can replicate this squeak which can be heard very clear when closing the front doors!! It was to cold yesterday so whatever it is was probably frozen/had water or snow and the dealer did not hear anything. The dealer said he checked the front end and everything looked ok but the noise was still there today. When I was bringing home the car yesterday I didnt hear it. He did say to stop by one day when the weather was better to see if they can figure it out. Has anyone had this problem? Again, the noise can be heard rather easily with the radio off and again when closing either front door. Any ideas??
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Anyone have a copy of this TSB that they could put up or email me? I am having the problem that has been discussed here (some pinging and hesitation in 2nd and 3rd gear on a manual) but my dealership (in Canada) does not have access to the US TSBs. He would like to see it to see if he can help me but can not get access to it through Nissan Canada. Any help would be appreciated.

Paul
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    is air cond the same as a maxima?

one thing I do not like is that the ac defaults to outside air every time you start the car, that is in real hot weather, if you want the "inside air" to always be on (no outside air) you have to push the recirc button every time you start the car

any way to stop that, that is always have it on recirc? my 94 camry has a simple slide lever and I just leave it on recirc, the fancy infiniti has to have recirc pushed each time you start the car up?

any ideas???
  • I've had our Maxima for a year in Feb. In July of 2001 I started hearing noise when I shifted from 1st to 2nd. After taking it to the dealership, I was told that the "Throw-out bearings were bad". They replaced it with another one. Well 5 months later I noticed it was doing the exact same thing. I am going back tomorrow to have it fixed again. Has anyone had any problems like this? It's a 2001.
  • Hmmmm from what I am reading seems that the rear o2 sensor on the 00 Maxima is a weak component. I have just over 17k miles on my car and guess what? the rear o2 sensor needed replacement.. Its not really ok to have a problem like this on a car that is known for quality and durability but its doesn't hurt as much when the repair is covered under the warranty. Once my warranty expires if that sensor goes again I'll be um..annoyed to say the least. Maybe if Nissan gets enough owner complaints they'll fix the problem..ya know..one of those silent recalls
  • jaepiljaepil Posts: 5
    I jsut recently bought 2002 SE and I too get a vibration. What shuold I do about it? What did you do?
    Just want to double check with you to see if we are getting the same vibration; I only notice the slight vibration on the steering wheel when I shift to "D" and the car is at a stand still (e.g. Stopping for a red light.) Let me know if we've the same situation.

I need to bring it to my dealer and have them check it out. I'm not sure if the idling RPM (about 500 rpm) is a bit low or what? I'll find out the next time I'm at the dealership. Maybe you can ask your dealer about this problem too!
    Will keep you updated : )
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I have a 00 Maxima SE with 78,000 miles on it and haven't had any issues with any of the sensors yet.

On the other hand, I also have a 95 Maxima GLE with 180,000 miles on it that has had multiple sensor failures (exhaust gas, crank position, and cam position).

In tracing back the original failures on the 95 I discovered that "someone" had filled the car up with gas WHILE IT WAS RUNNING.

Now I'm far from sure but my guess has always been that that filling up while it was running might have had something to do with the failures. (They all failed within the same month.)

Since we don't fill the cars up with the engines running anymore, we haven't had any additional sensor failures.

Just my 2 cents.
  • jaepiljaepil Posts: 5
    Yeah I am going to go see my dealer. I dunno if they'll do anything about it though. yeah when it's in D, it vibrates... it's worse first five minutes of driving. and I noticed that my steering wheel is not aligned... is yours?

okay... give me as much feed back as you can. Thanks
  • Last year about Feb 2001 I purchased a 95 SE with 45k. The Car has worked and driven perfectly until a couple of weeks ago during early morning cold weather. I started noticing a chain like sound on start up for one revolution. I took it to the service Center where I purchased the car and the tech said that there had been notes in his data base on Maxima timing chain tensioners going bad and it was going to cost approx 800-900$to replace both Timing chains/with labor. Has anyone else had similar problems??? Solutions? Is there a recall on this??? Hope so. thanks.
  • serrejserrej Posts: 2
    I am looking at purchasing a 95 GXE , manual transmission with 50,000 miles from a private party. Any specific problem areas or concerns that I should check out in detail or definitely not over look. He is asking $7,350 a little over the Edmunds TMV any thoughts on the price.
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    Do you use nissan oil filters?

I had a prob with loud noise at startup only at times - like after an overnight sit- switched to aftermarket oil filter (Purolater Pure one0 with good antidrainback valve.
  • I have had (2) 1996 Maximas and on both of them the 02 sensors were bad. It seems this is a design flaw that has followed through to all of the Maximas.

I have also had the shimmy in the steering wheel in both of them, in this one (the SE) it is getting very bad. I have had (2) 4 wheel alignments in 9 months and I still have this problem when I reach speeds in excess of 65MPH.

Yet, 3 different mechanics tell me they can find nothing wrong.

I found an entire list of TSB's on AllData.com but you have to pay for a subscription to look at the sull TSB wordings. I also read a post from an owner on Yahoo who said there was gas tank recall. Has anyone heard of this??? Does anyone know where I can get a full list of the full TSB's and recalls for my Maxima? If so please send info to lowecn@email.uc.edu

I would appreciate it very much!!
    I haven't had the time to let the dealer check it out, but in my case the slight vibration is always there, didn't feel any worst on the first 5 min. I did call up the dealer yesterday and they ask me "Did I used premium gas?", of course I did! Need to stop by and have them check it out. By the way, my wheels are aligned!
  • wlee8wlee8 Posts: 7
    Hello,

I have a 98 Maxima which had a slight vibration when the car is idling during stoplights. If you have this problem, change the gas station you are currently using. I had this problem resolved when I stop using a specific gas station that was causing the car to idle too low. The idle should be above 500rpm. The gas station that I was using might have been cheating the customers with cheap gas.
    wlee8 - I get my gas from 3 or more different gas stations randomly since I purchased the 2002 SE last Oct. I beleive the vibration exist from the first day I got the car. Anyway, thanks for your suggestion!
    FYI: I've always used "Amoco" gas (93 Octane), don't know if brand (Amoco) has anything to do with the problem.