Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• First, i would find another dealer to service your Max. I don't use the dealer for routine mx since my local ones are screwups. i have a 2003 Max and have only done oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations and a tire replacement at 34000 miles. I am curious to know what they did to your car as part of the 22500 mile service. Major mx isn't required until a minimum of 60k miles
  • Ihave 210,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it till the other morning i went to start it and it wouldn't.Now it starts but won't stay running. It sMokes sometimes. I now replaced the battery and the distributor car and rotor, sparkplugs and wires. Also just got an oil change. But it still stalls. Does anyone know? :mad:
  • I had some rust spots repaired under warranty last year, but now they are coming back to haunt me again. I am not looking forward to dealing with Nissan again about this issue. It took some pressuring and perseverance on my part to get the dealership and Nissan to fix the problem the first time. If you have an '04-'06 Maxima, please look inside your rear door jambs (dealer calls the area "dog legs") for these rust spots just above the plastic trim that runs along the bottom of the car.
  • I had what they call B service $95.77.Quick etc $30.00. Fuel and oil additive $25.00. I'm going to wait for one more fill up then decide what to do after those results
  • tb4metb4me Posts: 41
    Wow great step by step--that guy should patent that page!!!. Thanks a bunch for your help!! :)
  • Ihave 210,000 miles on it. Never had a problem with it till the other morning i went to start it and it wouldn't.Now it starts but won't stay running. It sMokes sometimes. I now replaced the battery and the distributor car and rotor, sparkplugs and wires. Also just got an oil change. But it still stalls. Does anyone know? :sick:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Altima or Maxima? You said Maxima in earlier posts. :confuse:
  • Does anybody know how to disable / reset the check engine light? I already tried disconnecting the battery but it came back on after an hour or so. As with most 2000 Nissans it is time to replace my ignition coils, I just need to get the money together. In the mean time, I would really like to turn off the light. Any insight would be appreciated.
  • dallas75dallas75 Posts: 72
    You might try a place like AutoZone. One of their code readers that they will lend or hook up at the store may have a reset. If not, a place like Pep Boys can reset it for a fee, of course they will try to sell you the service to correct whatever triggered it.
    Good Luck!
    :shades:
  • blancgblancg Posts: 1
    When I started my '97 Maximia tonight, I heard a blaring electronic sound. It kept blaring after I turned the car off. I looked under the steering column, and discovered what looks like a speaker in a black box, held there by two screws, with a wire running towards the front of the car. The speaker is still making the blaring sound one hour later. Does anyone know if this speaker is part of the sound system (sure doesn't look like it), and does anyone have any ideas - cut the wire?
  • stetson1stetson1 Posts: 4
    It's an altima. sorry bout that. :blush:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No problem - check out Altima group for the best place to post, then. :-)
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    You have two options: 1: Remove the light from behind the dash, or 2: fix the problem.

Disconnecting the battery does work but only if the problem has been fixed. Otherwise, what ever is causing that check engine light to shine will continue to do so.
  • troy4446troy4446 Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 max.. I dont knwo if anyone else has this problem.. But my dirves side interior molding is comming loose from the body of the car.. i have taken it to the dealer and they popped it back in.. but 2 days later its out again..Help it's driving me crazy
  • mikel9mikel9 Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Maxima SE and when the is park and idiling whenit gets warmed up it cuts off and just recently when i come to a stop the rpms drop and the car shuts off. Ive done a little research and its looking like there maybe a problem with the idle control valve.
  • Hi, I need help and advice. My Maxima would not start suddenly about a week ago so I had it towed to a local mechanic. That mechanic couldn't figue it out so I had it towed to another mechanic, and finally I had it towed to the dealer. :sick:

After an extensive diagnosis, the Nissan dealer service rep said that the problem is that my main electrical harness had been cut and that my ECM needed to be replaced. Now prior to this current problem, my car was running fine. :P

So I'm thinking that one of the mechanics previous to the dealer cut the harness because my car probably would not run with the cut harness, right? Anyhow, I need to know my options because my dealer said that the ECM unit is $880 and the harness is $1,800, plus another few senors and with labor, my total cost would be $3,900, which I definately don't have.

What options do I have? Can I buy the ECM and harness somewhere else and have an Electrical mechanic put it in? Is this a difficult job to do? Please help! :cry: Any advice would be so appreciated! By the way, for reference, I live in Temple City, CA. Thanks so much for your help!!! :blush:
  • jorozcojorozco Posts: 5
    I have a 04 Nissan Maxima (36500 + miles). I have just recently noticed that there is like a rattling noise when my engine is running (idling) Anybody might have a clue what that might be?

Oh, by the way. I was told that the Nissan Maxima does not need a transmission flush.... ever. Is this true???
  • Regarding the noise from under the hood. Most likely its related to the Technical Service Bulletin Nissan put out for the exhaust brackets (under the engine by the manifold).
    Here's the links:

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-021.htm

http://www.nissanhelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2005/NTB05-095.htm

With the transmission flush, I would go ahead and get it done if you've never flushed the transmission in your Maxima. The manual doesn't state when to flush your transmission but most people recommend getting it done every 20- 30,000 miles.
  • jorozcojorozco Posts: 5
    Ok great thanks...
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    One thing with the transmission drains and refills (they don't really "flush" them anymore), is honestly this is one thing I'd have the dealership do. You have to use the specific Nissan-branded fluid, and it has to be done in a very specific way. This is not something I'd trust an independent shop with, personally.