Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• djp2cdjp2c Posts: 39
    Nissan in Canada have agreed to correct the problem of Hood Bounce that earlier models of the 2002 Maxima have experienced.

My wife would not drive my Maxima on the highway because she was afraid the hood would come up.

It is expecially dangerous in windy conditions.

The service bulletin will be out in July.
  • I just bought a used 1993 Maxima GXE automatic, and have been happy with everything, with the exception of the anti-theft system. I didn't even know it had a factory alarm until a policeman rang my bell at 2am and gave me a ticket for it being on for over 4 minutes. I pulled a fuse, but it turned out to be a relay fuse which the guy who installed my SECOND alarm told me needed to stay in. He also old me that as long as I didn't lock the doors with the key, the factory alarm would not sound. But now when I lock the doors with the remote for the SECOND alarm, it still goes off, and now they sometimes both go off. It happens every few days, sometimes days in a row. I have to either run down 3 flights and run to shut it off every time, or make sure I get a space right by the window so I can use the remote. I am desparate.

Somebody PLEASE help me, my neighbors are beginning to hate me, and I fear that someone may damage the car in retaliation for losing sleep. In the streets of Chicago, it may just happen.

I would appreciate any help whatsoever, I have looked in Chilton's, the owner's manual, but I can't figure it out. If anyone knows how to disarm the factory alarm, I would greatly appreciate it!

PLEASE HELP

Thanks!
  • brothjebrothje Posts: 3
    My 95 Maxima's air flow control knob recently stopped working when used on the 1,2, or 3 setting. Doesn't matter if you're using the air condition or just letting in the outside air. The weird thing is that it works fine if its on high, or the 4 setting.

Anyone have any suggestions or have had a similar experience?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Posts: 313
    I think I remember reading about some Fan troubles. You may need to replace the fan, or the switch. Sorry I don't have more info. If Edmonds would get a search engine you could find what you were looking for.
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    Do these things give trouble?
    My bose 6 cd changer died after a year.

The radio now at 4 years has the display gone away.

Anyone else having same problems?

Bose= hi end name but my old Toyota radio is better.
  • igork1igork1 Posts: 6
    I have received recall letter from NMAC and would like to sare this info. with everybody.I owe Max 2002 SE.
    Here it is:
    Nissan has determined that a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2001 and 2002 models. One of the parts of front suspension in your vehicle which is called the transverse link may break where it is mounted to the frame.
    This may cause knocking sound or ubnormal steering. This may result in difficulty controlling the vehicle which, if ignored, could CAUSE A CRASH!!! Have your dealer replace those links on the left and right side with new ones.
    I have a 2000 SE, wonder if that applies to our car as well? I have not received anything from Nissan on it yet.

Dd
    My recall letter states that this applies to 2001/02 models only. But I would check with your dealer just in case. When, after 1 month since I bought the car, I complained to them about abnormal steering, they said, that it is a road crown and never did anything. Wonder what they gonna say now. But no matter what their excuse is, you don't ever trust them. I will go to my local mechanic after they fix it and have him look at it.
    Ever since new, our car has had a very slight "deadspot" in the steering and a very slight tendency to wander and need correction. On short trips you hardly notice it, but it is pretty noticable on longer trips. The dealer said it was in alignment and was normal.

Is that what is happening to your SE? Since they hardly changed the car at all from 2000-2002 I'd think the recall would also be for my car as well.

DD
    What was happening is the from very first day steering wheel was slightly tilted to the left. I did not feel any changes in ride nor hear any unususal noises. When I went to my dealer, mechanic who took it for test drive said that tilt is normal and toyota and infinity do the same thing. Tilt was more noticable in stop-n-go traffic. Every time, after stop, I had to adjust stering wheel some what close to 45 degrees in order to keep it straight. I picked up my car today after the replaced transverse link but I did not feel any difference in alignment. Steering wheel still kind of tilted. Any way I will see independent mechanic tomorrow and than post my message. Also they mentioned that this could happened because of low profile tires which SE 2002 is equiped with. Any way, probably the best way here is to go to independent mechanic.
  • Hey I'm going to buy a MAXima what whould i be looking for?
  • bianca2bianca2 Posts: 78
    Maybe a good dealer?
    There is no such a thing as a good dealer. Pal, what world you living in? And from my own experience: if looking for Max, you better of with Honda.Far more reliable.
  • prinziiprinzii Posts: 1
    I just had the issue resolved yesterday. Expect to have your Max tied up for almost 7 hrs because the glue used to reseal the liner takes about that long to cure.

To get mine corrected, I used this thread as a reference and printed out the TSB. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29351

• shayesky1shayesky1 Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy a 91 Maxima, the car I am looking at has 171K on it. Is this too many miles? Owner has service records. What should I have a mechanic look for? I need a 5-6k per year second car. thank you. Car is an automatic.
    with that many miles, I'd look to see if the cam chain had been replaced. If not, it probably won't last too much longer. If it has a belt (Mine is 2000 I'm not familir with the old ones) also look for repair history. If the car is cheap, you could give it a shot and not loose much if you bet wrong.

check transmission fluid for burnt smell, correct level (typically running in park), and as clean looking as possible. If it hasn't been changed 2-3 times, it needs it.

At that mileage, everything needs looking at, I'd have a mechanic check it out unless its really cheap and you're willing to take a risk.

Might be a great beater for your needs.

DD
  • shayesky1shayesky1 Posts: 7
    I drove the car last night. it has been kept in excellent condition. the ownder provided a list of maintenance records since he hashad the car. Every 2-3K, something had to be replaced. He thinks it was also in an accident. I was thinking of offering him around 2600 (asking 3300). But, with the frequency of repairs, I am going to pass on this one.
    Sounds like the owner at least kept things up. Many many owners let things go and just jury rig stuff, won't fix dents, duct tape headliners, etc. Sounds like it was well cared for, but an car with that much milage will have recently need like fuel pump, fuel filter, shocks, transmission work (maybe), AC service, radiation, waterpump, periodic brake work, etc.

I sold a '88 shadow turbo that I had kept up, and while it looked like it required a lot of upkeep I had just stayed on top of what was needed.

For a bit over $2000 sounds like a deal. If it has trouble, you're not out much, you can always get $1000 for any car that runs, so for x months you get a car for $1000?

Beaters like that are fun.

DD
  • My service engine soon light went on the other day. Nissan said computer error (sensor) and charged me $100 to reprogram the chip (off warranty).

A week later the light came on again and the switched off after a couple of days. Nissan think it's same problem.

Anyone else experience this?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    The most common cause of the oxygen and ehaust gas sensor tripping the service light is filling the car with gas while the engine is running.

Could this be the cause?

I have a 2000 Maxima SE with 96,xxx miles on it and haven't had any problems with the sensors yet.

I did have a streak of problems like this with my 95 Maxima GLE when my wife was driving it (found out she was leaving the engine run when she gassed up after the second sensor going bad in like 3 weeks.)
  • No, I'm careful to replace cap(til it clicks) every time I gas up. Do people actually gas up with the engine running? Sounds like a Darwin award (no offence to the wife!).

Impressed with your 96k miles. I've got 79k on mine. What are your ownership plans? Are you going to drive it into the ground or trade in while you still have some value?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I'm guessing I see at least 1 person a week filling with the engine running. Last week I saw one filling with the engine running and standing next to the pump talking on her cell phone at the same time!! (I left quickly and came back later!)

Yes I do tend to drive cars into the ground.

My garage has a 95 GLE that has 185,xxx on it and is showing no signs of slowing down. (Of course the wife only adds 3-4k per year.) I'll drive the 00 SE until it goes to about the same mileage then replace it. My wife will then move up to the 00 and my youngest son will get the 95 (when he's 18 or responsible, which ever comes first).

I drive about 30-35k per year, 90+% on the highway at speeds between 75-85 so the cars tend to last a long time. (That's actually why I started with Maximas, they're one of the cheapest cars to drive over the long haul if you do the regular maintenance.) I just replaced the tires on the 00Se at 92,000 (that's original mileage on the 17" BS potenza's. Put on Michlein Pilot Sport AS and they are at least twice, maybe three times better than the original BS. Expensive but incredible tires.

I've never had any loyalty towards tire manufacturers but I might be leaning towards Michelins.

I also have the original brakes on the 00SE and everytime I have the oil changed and the tires rotated I request they check the pads. I think I might be getting struts next, car seems to be riding a little harsher than usual. Could also be extra air in the tires with the run of 90+ degree days we've been having for the last two weeks.

The sensors do tend to go in series in my experience, 1st oxg, then exhaust, then cam shaft and or crank shaft position sensor.

Good news seems to be that once you replace them, that's it. Might have been a bad batch from the original factory build?
  • 1hosta1hosta Posts: 1
    When I take a short trip to the store and then start up the my car,it sounds like a diesl.
    The noise speeds up when you push the gas and slows down.This only happens on small trips.
    I do not think its a piston rod.maybe lifters or cam type of thing.
  • uc94587uc94587 Posts: 2
    I've a 96 Maxima, The Engine service light starts on several weeks ago. And I took my car the smoke check, it failed due to code p0510 and p0733, Dealer told me I need a TPS sensor replaced and would charge me about $400(check and replace). This this a fair rate? This this something I have to send to Nissan dealer? Anybody have this problem before?
  • axfalkaxfalk Posts: 13
    The outside molding came out on my 1999 Maxima. I thought it was just a matter of glueing it back in, however, I was told by a dealer that it involved a lot more than that. Has anybody ever fixed the outside molding back onto their car and is willing to share their experience?

Thanks.

_ Alex
  • shislr1shislr1 Posts: 2
    My Maxima has recently starting to idle at 1500 RPM when I come to a stop. Luckily I have a 5 speed so it isnt a huge deal. Anybody have an idea what might cause that. It happens at most stops now. I told the dealer when I got an oil change and he said it was normal and the computer was doing it for emission purposes. I know thats not true because the car never used to do that so why would it do it now?
  • I have had my 02 Maxima SE for about a year now (It has 15K on it) and I notice a slight rattle in the steering column when I go over rough bumps. Anyone else with 02 Maxima's notice this problem?
  • jeg72jeg72 Posts: 18
    Hello All!

I have a '96 Maxima GLE nearing 90K miles. I have had the car since 23K miles and it has been a great car. I am getting the struts and tires replaced next week and just wanted to fish for comments on the service.

The Tire shop recommends

Toyo Proxess TPT tires and they are going to install Monroe Struts front and back. This will be about 1200 - 1300 dollars so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    I drove my 1999, and an 02 last week - the 02 was a dealer loaner. On the same afternoon, and with my trusty dial thermometer I drove both of them on the same interstate at 55 and got center dash outlet air tempearture of about 41 degrees on a 90 degree day. These temps seem in line with the service manual.

My old 94 Camry - never had freon added on the same day puts out 36 degree air.

Are the Toyota A/C systems sttronger?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Your old Camry was probably an R-12 system. Your Nissan system (and all newer cars) is R-134A and they aren't quite as crisp. Expect about 38-42 F centre vent temp on Max.