Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wainwain Posts: 479
    that "jiffy lube folks are min. wage people lightly supervised who are in a hurry.
  • Please don't take my above remarks as a recommendation for JiffyLube. I used them only for a price comparison. A reputable independent shop would be a much better choice short of doing it yourself.
  • If I was in an extreme hurry for an oil change ONLY, then I might consider a place such as that. But I really like using my Nissan dealer, but I will check around prior to such expensive repairs, etc. It's just that I have dealt with them for many years, we have bought 5 vehicles from them, they know us, and they know how we treat our cars that we buy from them. But for high-priced repairs, we do price around first, and they have in most occassions matched other prices, to try to keep our business with them. But I have not priced around yet, for radiator flush or a transmission maintenance. Not in a big rush for either, actually, I only have 36k on my '00 SE.
  • rao95rao95 Posts: 1
    Yesterday, I bought a 1995 Nissan Maxima that has 142000 miles for about $3600.00 Car looks and runs great. This is just for commuting within the city limits.

When I start the Engine, I see "Check Engine" symbol on the Meter Controls. Is it a Problem??
    How can I avoid this problem??

How many more miles can we depend on this Car?
  • These sites have been lifesavers for me:

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecu.html

http://vbxmaxima.8m.com/ecudecoder.html

They tell you how to retrieve the "check engine" code yourself, how to figure out what they mean, and how to reset the light.

In my case, I have a recurring intermittent speedometer problem that keeps setting off the light. I've had the speed sensor replaced twice, and it still goes off, so we suspect it is the speedometer itself. I don't particularly want to spend the $400 or so to get it fixed right now, and I'm 95% certain that it's not affecting anything else, so I've just been living with it.

I've also read that O2 (oxygen) sensors are common problems with Maximas that cause the light to go on.

Good luck!

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,676
    Autozone parts stores will also read the codes for you at no charge (using a diagnostic tool).

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• I write for a major business publication andma looking for Nissan Maxima drivers to share their thoughts and experiences with me and possibly be names in the weekly feature I write. Can you please email me at lori_f@eudormail.com ASAP? Thank you.
  • Could you verify your email address again.
  • Reporter for a major busienss daily seeks Nissan Maxima drivers to talk about their experiences with the car and also be mentioned in the column as a driver. Please email me at lori_f@eudoramail.com by November 4 at 5:00 p.m. EST
  • ray83ray83 Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Maxima GLE with 15000 miles on it, and have experienced the exact same issue as the post #910.

During acceleration I'm noticing significant knocking and pinging. I use only premium gasoline and have tried other brands without any success.

I returned from the dealer today from a service appointment. The mechanic drove the car and said he could not hear the pinging. He also commented that he performed a diagnostic test, which indicated the car had never mis-fired and also stated that my car had the updated ignition coils.

I asked that service manager ride with me so that he could hear the noise first hand. During the test drive he was able to hear the pinging and commented that it was a "normal gas ping"

I was told that if there was nothing showing up in the diagnostic test as abnormal, that there was nothing that needed to be fixed.

I'd hate to hear what a "ABnormal gas ping" sounds like!! I'd appreciate any comments or feedback from anyone with similar issues.
  • ray83ray83 Posts: 2
    For other folks with this issue, I found a Service Bulletin (NTB01-059) from Nissan North America at the following web site; www.nhtsa.dot.gov

The Service Bulletin states that 2000 & 2001 Maximas built before 3/16/2001 exhibiting "knock detonation" (pinging) should have the ignition coils replaced.

This also applies to vehicles that may NOT identify the error (DTC P 1320 Ignition Signal Primary) in the diagnostic test. The Service Bulletin still recommends the changing of the ignition coils. There are additional details in the bulletin.

I guess I'll be making yet another trip to the service department, or better yet, a different dealer..
  • Interesting that you have the updated coils and still have pinging. Did you go in at some point to have the coils replaced per the TSB? If so, were you having pinging before that?

The manual (for my 2k2) does say the following about pinging (in section 9 under "Octane rating tips"):

"However, now and then you may notice light spark knock for a short time while accelerating or driving up hills. This is no cause for concern, because you get the greatest fuel benefit when there is light spark knock for a short time under heavy engine load."

I wonder what classifies as "light spark knock"...
  • robertrrobertr Posts: 125
    I had this problem also last spring with my 2000 SE. The dealer could not reproduce it when I had it in, so he could not/would not change coils under warranty. Now I have over 36,000 miles - not sure if warranty still applies to coils?

Last Wednesday it was knocking really bad when accelerating from 2500 rpm in 2nd or 4th gear, but has since stopped. In my experience, I've found the problem comes and goes. Sometimes changing gas brands fixes it. I think sometimes gas stations get bad gas or regular gets put in the premium pump.
  • Hi all-
    My 2000 Maxima SE (40,000 mi) has recently started to stall out, even after warming the engine up a bit. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thank you in advance for any help you can give!
  • I have a 1991 Maxima GXE. Sometimes I can hear water splashing in the engine compartment and I cannot figure out where it's coming from. It happens after a heavy downpour so water is being trapped somewhere there. Any suggestions?
  • Any advice on how to remove the glove compartment bulb mounted in a recessed area on the top of the compartment? Impossible to get my fingers around the bulb. Nothing in the manual about this bulb. Does the plastic unit in which the bulb is mounted snap out somehow? Thanks!
  • cmm54cmm54 Posts: 1
    Hello and help! After replacing the battery some 12 months ago, the air bag red light continuously flashes on the dash. The dealer, having only heard of the problem by phone, has informed me that the air bag controller card must be replaced at $1000! Question: is that necessary? Does the air bag work w/out the card? Can the light bulb be disabled? Any one I mention this to, says just disconnect the bulb. How? Thanx in advance. :-)
  • 00' SE 5spd.

I bought the car with 17K and now has 26k the clutch whins when you take off most of the time then goes away. The dealer stated that this is a known issue with the Maxima and there is nothing wrong. Has anyone had this problem?????
    I have Nissan looking into it......but where that leads i can only guess.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    It sounds like the throwout bearing. It may just be inherent with the design and therefore may not be a problem. I have owned manual cars with the clutch out it was pretty loud(whine). You may want to compare to other manual maxes, if possible.
  • The squeaky/chirping fan in my 97 Maxima is getting annoying to the point that I turn the heat off so I don't have to listen to it.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of tearing the dash apart and replacing it? Any way to grease it, maybe?

Thanks,

-Charlie
  • the dealer said that the 00's have had problems with a whinning clutch and they will not fix it. I have never heard about this and I am currently working my way though Nissan about it. i wondering if any one had ever had a load clutch. i even called onther dearlers and they said that they had never heard such a thing.
  • And found for a "noisy clutch", the first thing to have checked is the "Release Bearing, worn, dirty, or damaged." There is no second thing to check for a "noisy clutch".

Try that specific direction with your Nissan dealer and see where you end up.
  • the dealer said that the 00's have had problems with a whinning clutch and they will not fix it. I have never heard about this and I am currently working my way though Nissan about it. i wondering if any one had ever had a load clutch. i even called onther dearlers and they said that they had never heard such a thing.
  • gg2k2segg2k2se Posts: 109
    Yes, my 2002 SE just started with a loud whine/screech sometimes when releasing clutch in 1st gear. I looked on nhtsa.gov and they have a service Bulletin listed #NTB02084 stating "howl noise when clutch is released". I've made an appointment next week with service. Anyone else with info regarding this.
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    On a cold start, my engine has a tapping noise for about 5 secs. and then goes
    away. It almost sounds like a valve tap ! It only does this maybe once every
    2 - 3 weeks. It doesn't matter if the car has sat overnight or for 3 days.

Btw, I have a ' 00 & a ' 02 and they both do this on ocasion. Very disconcerting !
    Any ideas ?
    Are you using Nissan or Fram oil filter??
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    I use only Nissan filters, 5W-30 Valvoline , changed every 3500 miles. No other
    cars I've ever owned , including Nissans have ever done this. I have a '92
    Nissan P'up. It doesn't do it. I had a '94 Altima , it didn't do it. I had an '86 Max.,
    it didn't do it ( VG 30 ). All with the same maintenance practices. The problem seems
    to be with the VQ's. Again , not a big deal but disconcerting none the less.

Btw, did you know that the '02-'03 Max's use the smaller SENTRA oil filter
    compared to the '00-'01's .Doesn't make sense to me. Bigger engine
    smaller filter !! ?? Is it the Nissan "Bean counters"? Dunno !
  • Is it a 5spd? If so, i had talked to the dealer about this and they said that a lot of people have had problems with stalling because the way the clutch engages so early........

if you have an automatic then...not sure.
    I had that problem on the new 99, car sat overnight, 10 sec clatter on startup.
    Switched to non Nissan filters - never a repeat of the clatter since.
  • I am also having a loud screeching problem (on occassion) when starting in 1st gear. I asked my local dealer to look at it but they would not since the car has more then 12,000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced this same problem and had it fixed??