Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• No, I'm careful to replace cap(til it clicks) every time I gas up. Do people actually gas up with the engine running? Sounds like a Darwin award (no offence to the wife!).

Impressed with your 96k miles. I've got 79k on mine. What are your ownership plans? Are you going to drive it into the ground or trade in while you still have some value?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I'm guessing I see at least 1 person a week filling with the engine running. Last week I saw one filling with the engine running and standing next to the pump talking on her cell phone at the same time!! (I left quickly and came back later!)

Yes I do tend to drive cars into the ground.

My garage has a 95 GLE that has 185,xxx on it and is showing no signs of slowing down. (Of course the wife only adds 3-4k per year.) I'll drive the 00 SE until it goes to about the same mileage then replace it. My wife will then move up to the 00 and my youngest son will get the 95 (when he's 18 or responsible, which ever comes first).

I drive about 30-35k per year, 90+% on the highway at speeds between 75-85 so the cars tend to last a long time. (That's actually why I started with Maximas, they're one of the cheapest cars to drive over the long haul if you do the regular maintenance.) I just replaced the tires on the 00Se at 92,000 (that's original mileage on the 17" BS potenza's. Put on Michlein Pilot Sport AS and they are at least twice, maybe three times better than the original BS. Expensive but incredible tires.

I've never had any loyalty towards tire manufacturers but I might be leaning towards Michelins.

I also have the original brakes on the 00SE and everytime I have the oil changed and the tires rotated I request they check the pads. I think I might be getting struts next, car seems to be riding a little harsher than usual. Could also be extra air in the tires with the run of 90+ degree days we've been having for the last two weeks.

The sensors do tend to go in series in my experience, 1st oxg, then exhaust, then cam shaft and or crank shaft position sensor.

Good news seems to be that once you replace them, that's it. Might have been a bad batch from the original factory build?
  • 1hosta1hosta Posts: 1
    When I take a short trip to the store and then start up the my car,it sounds like a diesl.
    The noise speeds up when you push the gas and slows down.This only happens on small trips.
    I do not think its a piston rod.maybe lifters or cam type of thing.
  • uc94587uc94587 Posts: 2
    I've a 96 Maxima, The Engine service light starts on several weeks ago. And I took my car the smoke check, it failed due to code p0510 and p0733, Dealer told me I need a TPS sensor replaced and would charge me about $400(check and replace). This this a fair rate? This this something I have to send to Nissan dealer? Anybody have this problem before?
  • axfalkaxfalk Posts: 13
    The outside molding came out on my 1999 Maxima. I thought it was just a matter of glueing it back in, however, I was told by a dealer that it involved a lot more than that. Has anybody ever fixed the outside molding back onto their car and is willing to share their experience?

Thanks.

_ Alex
  • shislr1shislr1 Posts: 2
    My Maxima has recently starting to idle at 1500 RPM when I come to a stop. Luckily I have a 5 speed so it isnt a huge deal. Anybody have an idea what might cause that. It happens at most stops now. I told the dealer when I got an oil change and he said it was normal and the computer was doing it for emission purposes. I know thats not true because the car never used to do that so why would it do it now?
  • I have had my 02 Maxima SE for about a year now (It has 15K on it) and I notice a slight rattle in the steering column when I go over rough bumps. Anyone else with 02 Maxima's notice this problem?
  • jeg72jeg72 Posts: 18
    Hello All!

I have a '96 Maxima GLE nearing 90K miles. I have had the car since 23K miles and it has been a great car. I am getting the struts and tires replaced next week and just wanted to fish for comments on the service.

The Tire shop recommends

Toyo Proxess TPT tires and they are going to install Monroe Struts front and back. This will be about 1200 - 1300 dollars so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.

Thanks in advance!
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    I drove my 1999, and an 02 last week - the 02 was a dealer loaner. On the same afternoon, and with my trusty dial thermometer I drove both of them on the same interstate at 55 and got center dash outlet air tempearture of about 41 degrees on a 90 degree day. These temps seem in line with the service manual.

My old 94 Camry - never had freon added on the same day puts out 36 degree air.

Are the Toyota A/C systems sttronger?
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    Your old Camry was probably an R-12 system. Your Nissan system (and all newer cars) is R-134A and they aren't quite as crisp. Expect about 38-42 F centre vent temp on Max.
    Thanks but no the camry is 134 also -
    Camry is not an "automatic" system
  • djp2cdjp2c Posts: 39
    I had to send a registered letter to Transport Canada to get Nissan to fix the hood bounce that I have.

They are fixing the problem in the U.S.A. but said they were not doing anything with the cars in Canada.

They are now?

I have lost all faith in Nissan and their dealers

Two recalls and the hood bounce is three visits. That is more than I had with my Ford Focus Wagon and it drives better than my 02 GLE

My next vehicle will be a Saturn
  • wg45678wg45678 Posts: 55
    Suggest you go to the Nissan dealer and check out the factory replacement shocks. Nissan has dropped a lot of replacement part prices and now is competitive with aftermarket, or better priced.

Factory struts on my 93 Nissan Quest cost 50% less at the dealer than aftermarket Monroe or Gabriel shocks at Checker or Auto Zone chain stores. Factory shocks (in the rear) were cheaper were aqbout 30% cheaper.

I'd avoid the Monroes.Don't know of anyone that had tried them and been satisfied (on a Japanese car) compared to the factory equipment. The Monross (or Gabriels too) seem mushier and don't control the car's motion as well, particularly when loaded.
  • Hello everyone,
    I have a Nissan Maxima 92, it has over 210,000 miles on it. I experienced problem with power windows when I turned off the accessories completely. The passenger window still have power turn up and down. Does any have this kind of problem? Is it regulator or short circuit?
    Thank you everyone.

bongchlatt
  • maxvac32maxvac32 Posts: 5
    I have a 96 Maxima GLE and my check engine light has been on for a long time. I NEVER fill up my tank with the engine running and always put the cap on tight. Took it to a mechanic twice and the light didn't stay off for long. It went off for a few months and came back on. The car has been running fine - I'm not in a hurry to run to the dealer for a $400 repair. If a regular mechanic runs the diagnostics and can't find anything wrong, what's so special about the dealer's computer?
    Almost every time a MIL (check engine light) comes on in an OBD-II vehicle, a diagnostic trouble code is stored in the engine control computer. Anybody in any shop with a scan tool can retrieve the stored DTC's. Doesn't have to be a dealer. What DTC numbers were found when you had it checked?
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Posts: 313
    I've asked around but no one seems to know if a regular OBD3 reader will work on a Nissan Max 00. I have a oldsmobile and could justify a reader if it would work on both cars. I've seen one that works on a Palm, looks pretty neat.

Anyone with experience?

DD
    If it's 96 or newer and sold in North America it's OBD-II compliant with a common diagnostic connector. Check here for scan tool reviews:

http://www.batauto.com/technical/scaninfo.html
    do the 1999 maxima and infinitis have cabin air filters?

Anyone know?

thanks
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    My 01 Max GXE auto has become more difficult to start over the past few days. It only occurs after the car's been driven for a while then turned off. When I try to turn the car on later, it struggles to turn over, sometimes requiring me to turn the key twice to crank it. It always works the second time though. A Nissan tech gave me some BS about the engine not being properly "lined-up" when I turn the key, therefore the hesitant starts. I don't buy that for a second. I've driven many I30's as courtesy cars when I owned a J30 and they never had any problems starting. The Max has been doing this since I bought it new last year. Any ideas? Should I just dump this dealership and go to another for a more honest opinion?