Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ccermakccermak Member Posts: 260
    I believe various different people have gotten their coils replaced for free, or partially paid for by Nissan, because yes it was a bad batch and yes Nissan knows it. I don't have specifics, but I do know FOR SURE that people have done this, and yes outside of the normal 3yr/36k , 5yr/60k warranties.
  • njay1njay1 Member Posts: 8
    My 2002 Nissan Maxima is falling apart. This is the Fourth Nissan I have owned, starting with a 1982 280ZX, and I believe Nissan is no longer building reliable cars. My 280ZX ran for 163,000 miles with barely a tuneup. In contrast, My Maxima had its first Clutch Disk (6 spd) replaced at 23,000, now its second clutch disk @ 43,000, also @ 43,000 the air conditioner motor failed and had to be replaced, and a day after driving my "fixed" maxima out of the service bay, the Engine Light appeared. My 6 disk cd changer skips constantly. I have never driven anything but a nissan, I follow all maintenance schedules, etc. But now that nissan is making vehicles where the "warranty glue" runs out after 36,000 miles, I am done.
    (P.s. - I argued with nissan to pay for the Clutch disk since they obviously have some sort of problem with it considering there is a service bulletin on it...they are paying for half, but this still is bad considering they just replaced it 20k miles ago, I guarantee I will be making the same trip to the service dept another 20k miles down the road) Saddest part is my wife is expecting our second child and we were looking at Murano's. I'll drive an ugly honda pilot before I go through this again.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    See post # 1678-1679 or so, where there is a link to the specific TSB that might be your problem. But there are several things to cause the coil packs to go bad and you have to find out what caused yours. It is a pain if you have to pay for them (I had to replace the ones on my Forester at around the same mileage) but it's not the end of the world. I put it in the category of annoying parts that eventually need replacement but not killer problems like transmissions or head gaskets. I don't think coils are "engine work". And Nissan isn't the only car company that has had trouble with them, so I'm not sure it's poor design but perhaps poor quality with a particular batch of them.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • t2029t2029 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I have a question about the "check service soon" light on my 2001 GXE, 48,000 miles.

The light came on this morning and the car is running fine as normal. I went to AutoZone and they found out the error code is P0420. Two years ago, the light also came on with the same error code. The Nissan dealership reprogramed ECM per TSB NTB00-070A and it worked.

I read quite a few messages here today and it seems reprogramming ECM is recommended for the first step for P0420. So my question is whether I need to have the ECM reprogrammed again? What should be my next step here? Let the dealership install the O2 sensor or do it myself?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Eric
    Just received the same message,
    I am the 2002 Maxima owner who has had my car completely fall apart.
    after having the clutch disk replaced, air conditioning motor replaced, etc, I had a check engine light and the computer gave me the same deal, P0420. How many problems does it take to get a recall? I have absolutely no faith in nissan and will not buy another one. I know cars break and not every car is perfect but I am going on $1,000 of repairs at 42,500 miles. Not acceptable for a car with a $29K MSRP.
    O2's are probably the most common problem on Nissans. I went thru the same ordeal, reprogram ECU to widen parameters that trip the SES light and either replace or wait for the light to come back on. The theory is that usually when the light comes on (P0420) it's because the ECU program is off and the sensor is still actually fine. If you've had your ECU done, then months later it's on again, it's probably the sensor this time, as that is a common failure. The catch is there are no aftermarket O2 sensors for Nissan Maximas, you're stuck using an OEM part which you can only buy at the dealer. Don't believe me, try buying one at Autozone when they diagnose your code. The Bosch won't fit. Anyway, depending on which one it is, and your level of mechanical ability, would determine whether you can do for yourself. The parts look just like a spark plug so it ain't rocket science, more of an issue of getting at them and removing them as they're usually located near the exhaust and frozen in. They normally have to be heated with a torch slowly and warmed up in order to break them loose. This is all hearsay, but from multiple sources. I had dealer fix mine to the tune of $330 because $135/part + $79 ECU flash + labor. Maybe cheaper elsewhere, but still need to get part from stealer.
  • suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    If you have a lot of problems with your car, then you hate that car even if you know others have had good experiences with theirs. I feel that way about my Forester, which also had a long list of problems starting quite early. Although I know intellectually that lots of people love their Subarus, I'm not sure I'll ever buy another one. If I had all the problems you've had with your Nissan I'm sure I'd feel the same way. On the other hand, you've owned other Nissans that you liked, so maybe you just got the one made by the shift on their off day? From my Subaru experience I can tell you that coil packs and 02 sensors are not problems peculiar to Nissans! My '01 Max has 41,000 miles, so it's too soon to say how it will hold up, but I have had a much better experience with it so far than I did with my Subaru. Sometimes it seems that if a car has problems early, they never stop.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • badge13badge13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 00. I have been copmplaining about milage since day one. They finally after 33 k reprogramed the o2 sensors. This helped the situation but now it is happening again.
  • badge13badge13 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 00 se and I am having trouble with coil#2. I had it replaced at 35k under the so called goodwill gesture. The car was out of the 3 year mark. Before the goodwill came through it was recommended to replace all of them for $611.00. Then they stated, "we know which one it is, we will only do that one." Yesterday at 49k my max miss fired and started to run rough. The engine light flashed 3 times and went off. I parked the car and waited until this morning to start it. It started fine but the engine light was on. I called the dealer and he said it is probably the coil again. With all these complaints you think they would do something. I will be contacting my lawyer . I will keep you informed. Anyone else with this problem?
  • max05max05 Member Posts: 29
    It is probably the coil problem that has been mentioned several times in this message board. I had the same issue with my 2000 maxima...started with traction control light, then all lights...
    This is my second nissan with problems. I thought like you after my '96 Pathfinder was a problem so I gave Nissan the benefit of the doubt and bought my '02 Maxima. Now that my second Nissan is giving me fits, I see this as a trend rather than an "off day."
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    My '95 Maxima was a disaster and I swore off Nissan after that. A sampling:

Failed A/C evaporator and filter ($1000)
    Failed power seat ($650)
    Failed heated seat ($350)
    Starter making grinding noises ($400)
    Repeated O2 sensor failures ($2-300ish per)
    Failed knock sensor ($400)
    Seized parking brake, despite frequent use
    Failed wheel bearings, both sides (warr)
    Chronic brake rotor warping & alignment problems
    Windshield cracked after hitting pothole (no pre-existing crack that I could find!)
    Rust on four separate areas of the body
    Fragile paint/body panels very susceptible to dings
    Multiple, loud interior rattles many of which the dealer could not fix

All this despite dealer maintenance by the book, careful driving, frequent rustproofing detailing etc. The car only had 99K when I finally got rid of it and I wasn't sorry at all to see it go.
    I had almost the identical situation as yours at very close milage (37k first time and 55k second time). I'm not sure which coil #, but they fixed it the first time for free (but if I wanted all coils changed they were only giving me a $300 credit against the $800 job). The second time I drove with the light on for a couple of weeks and traded the car for a new 05 (which i love so far).
    I have not had similar experiences with the nissan's i have owned. I'm sure it was very inconvenient having to deal with the issues. With that said, from a cost stanpoint, adding up all your issues is around $2,000, which you could spend if you had a timing belt go while driving on the highway. My point is this...nissans hold there value and i bet you got your $2,000 back when you sold your car...for example, a Taurus bought new for $17k would fetch around $2,000 with 99k miles on it (if it made it that far)...
  • richard7richard7 Member Posts: 14
    I could not get my 2000 SE started last Saturday. Plenty of power, but the engine would not completely turn over. The last time this happened, the dealer told me that the car was no longer recognizing the computer chip in the key and they charged me $90 to reprogram it. I went out today, and wala, the car started just fine. Any ideas as to what could be going on?

Is there any way to disable the anti theft "chip in the key" thing?
  • richard7richard7 Member Posts: 14
    I am on my 3rd set of coils. The first time was under warranty, the 2nd time, I lucked out because the service manager thought it was under warranty and replaced them without asking me. Then he tried to charge me for them, but I got Nissan USA on the line with us and then he decided to cover them. I'm disappointed with the car. I've had less trouble with my Town and Country minvan.
    Your point is well taken, max05, although if you add in the windshield, the multiple 02 sensors, the rust repairs, the new brake rotors etc. you will see that the cost is closer to $4K.

I did manage to sell the car for a bit over $5K at 9 years and 99K miles, which wasn't bad at all. But had it held up better, I wouldn't have had to get a new car that soon (we like to keep our cars a long time).

I do think (hope) that mine was worse than the average Max. But an experience like that does not leave one clamoring for more!
  • augustusaaugustusa Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 maxima with similar problem.Mine involves vibration at 60miles when brakes are applied.Dealer claims it is rotor and pad .This cost me $399.I felt swindled considering that car in question has only 22,500 miles on when problem began.My 94 town and country van with 3 years brake pads and rotor,40,900 miles has no such problems.The maxima is driven on the highway 10miles daily 4 days a week.The dealer admits that Nissan has thin pads on the 2000-2004 models.Your case as in mine is that of poor workmanship and inferior parts.I demand a refund.
  • t2029t2029 Member Posts: 8
    Hello,

I just want to give an update on my car's problem. I have it fixed at the dealership. The total cost is about $350, plus tax, which includes replacing one O2 sensor, reprogramming ECM, resetting the warning light, and doing catalyst run. I was thinking about buying the sensor myself and installing it later, but since they told me that they would do catalyst run under the warranty, which they'd replace parts of the exhaust system and normally costs me at least $900, I just save all the troubles and let them do it. It has been one week and so far so good.

Just one quick question, in order not to damage the O2 sesnor in the future, does it help using 89 for gas? I have been using 89 for the first 36k miles and switched to 87 after that.

Thanks
  • philipvphilipv Member Posts: 3
    Last week I brougt my 99 Maxima Se in to Midas for brakes. They called and told me my Battery needed replacing. Guess what, my Service Engine Soon light was on. I have been arguing with them ever since. By the way I have no K&N filter.
    There are a bunch of cars that will get you $2,000 back. Your right, A Taurus won't but I'm not about to buy a Taurus. What I want is for Nissan to build a quality car, then when a clutch disk goes out for a second time, they should suck it up and stand behind their cars/parts. I don't think it is too much to ask. If it is too much to ask, then Nissan shouldn't have cut corners and put a bad part in my car in the first place.
  • sfreitagsfreitag Member Posts: 4
    As a follow up...
    Nissan would not give me anything, blaming my air filter.
    Looks like Midas is sending me a 500 dollar check. I will take it.
    There really is no way of knowing for sure why the mass airflow sensor failed at 40000 miles.
    There is pluses and minuses to these big corporations.
    This is one positive, as Midas has money set aside for stuff like this.
  • joemax1joemax1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi y'all!

I have an 04 Maxima SL (5-speed Auto). I found out this morning that my tires are a bit below the recommended pressure (32 psi). is that normal at this time of the year? (the temp this morning was 33deg) Should I inflate it to 32 psi? And what could be the consequences if I'll drive it without inflating it back to 32psi?

Also, any tips on winter driving?

Thanks for your help.
    That's normal. When it gets cold you'll lose a few lbs of pressure. In winter check them more frequently, like every week or two, like when you get gas. Keep them at 33. Only problems driving on lower lbs is lower fuel economy and premature wear on the tires. Maybe some handling issues which could cause safety issues I guess but that's a little extreme.
    hey, thanks man! I was kinda afraid if driving it with less air pressure will damage the rims or something. uhm....will it?
    Hey guys!

My '04 Max SL has chipped paints on the driver door side. just a really small spot, but I noticed it's getting worse. And the black color of the letter "S" in my NISSAN emblem at the front grille has faded, and I only had it for 2 months, now with 5,700miles in it. Anybody with the same prob? Any advice? Should I go to the dealership and have it "re-painted"?

Thanks guys!
    Shouldn't damage a rim unless you're running on like 10 lbs or something super low, and then you hit a pothole. That's a pretty common complaint these days with 20" bling blings and 17 or 18"s being normal, meaning damaging rims because of potholes. Not to mention the cost of tires for those bigger rims. It's common now to pay like $500+ just for new tires, or even $700 for Michelins on 18's or 19's. That's a serious hit that I don't think people plan for when they buy their car, they're just like "oooohh, look at those nice wheels". Just my .02
    Thanks ccermark!

My concern is that I drove the car over 600 miles (that was in a span of 4 days) and when I checked the tire pressure yesterday it was between 24-25 psi. It was a very cold morning though (in the lower 30's). I'm just afraid it caused some damage to my tires or rims after driving it that weekend with that low pressure. But I already increased the pressure yesterday to 33psi.

Any thoughts about this? Thanks!!!

By the way, do u think putting a NAVIGATOR into my SL be worth the cost?

Thanks again!
    24 to 25lbs will cause zero probs. I've done that plenty before cuz my Dunlop SPA-2's leaked a pound or two every few days. What's a "Navigator"? That a Lincoln or a navigation system ;-) ? You talking factory install or aftermarket plug and play type? I was reading in consumer reports about those and the portable ones are pretty good these days.
    Im talking about the Nav from Nissan.

Thanks for the reply!
    I have a 2004 Maxima SL and recently i can hear a noise when accelerating usually b/w 20-40mph, it comes from the passenger side dash area and it sounds like a hissing rattlesnake or a boiling water noise.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys!
  • saxymaxsaxymax Member Posts: 1
    Any more news on this Advisory? I have an '04 Maxima SE and have recently started experiencing a rattle, shimmy, noisy ride. It sounds as though my struts are trying to break through the body frame. The car purrs like a kitten if I'm on newly laid pavement, but the first patch of uneven road, I have to turn my radio up to keep from hearing the rattling noise.

For this much $$$, I expect a fairly quiet ride. My tires are also losing pressure every few weeks. I paid to have them rotated and balanced and there is no improvement.

Any recommendations besides threatening the dealer service department? Have there been any recalls on this issue?
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    I guess I can't really moan too much if this is the only thing that's really going on with my 2000 SE but still, maybe someone has had the same thing and can provide some feedback.

When I'm leaving my parking garage there's a drop off to the driver's side, and when that wheel starts down the incline, I hear a noise from the windshield like its becoming unglued.

I know these uni-body cars use the windsheild as a structural part of the body/frame, which sort of explains it, but has anyone had trouble with a similar car doing the same or worse? I have not yet found any water leaking, but the noise is disconcerting.

Besides that, our car has been very good. Only probs were 1 oxy sensor, slow windows solved with lubing the tracks, and the trunk lid paint wears where the bumper cover contacts it.

Been trouble free otherwise.

Dirk
  • jmax97jmax97 Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, I have a 1997 Max with 134000 miles on it which I just bought off an auction for only $2,800. Since then I have spent an additional $900 for O2 sensor, minor tune-up and recently I found that both CV axle boots are torn and I have them replaced at Pepboys. My problem is that I have this vibration when im driving above 65 miles/hr. My question is, 1.is it a bad front wheel bearings? 2.is my steering gear/rack looseor worn out? 3. could it be something else? I just bought new tires and the rims were just balanced and an alignment was done at the same time. Also it pulls on the left when i accelerate. Is that a shock/suspension problem? Sry its long. Thanks for ur help in advance.
  • sfreitagsfreitag Member Posts: 4
    2002 Nissan Maxima SE 41,000 miles

My service engine light came on.
    Turned out to be code P0172B
    Bank 1 System Too Rich

I just cleared the code, and hoping it doesn't come back. I assume it has do do with an Oxygen Sensor?

My question is, does the mass airflow sensor have anything to do with this error code.
    I had my mass airflow sensor replaced at Nissan Dealership 3 weeks ago. If I knew this was related I would have them fix it.
  • jmax97jmax97 Member Posts: 2
    I would call the dealership and ask them what the code mean and if it is related to ur MAF sensor.
    As I mentioned a few posts back, the windshield on my 1995 model cracked when I hit a pothole. There was no pre-existing chip or crack that I could see--just a nasty pothole and the next thing I knew I was looking at a crack that extended halfway across the windshield.

Nissan would admit no defect with the car and I was out $300.

I would have your w/shield looked at by a pro.
  • frabbitfrabbit Member Posts: 4
    I have an '01 Maxima and am having problems with the steering wheel radio controls. They stick and don't work. I took it to the dealer and was told they don't fix anything having to do with the radio or controls. Does anyone have this problem, or know what I should tell the dealer?
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    Pulling to the left during acceleration could be just the torque steer which is normal for the car. If the car does not pull or drift when you drive in a straight line and let go off the steering wheel, then caster and camber alignment settings are probably OK.

< Aside from improperly balanced tires and/or bent rims, defective inner CV joints can cause vibration upon acceleration. Loose tire rods and/or damaged steering rack could also cause some problems. Worn out struts will cause wheel hop which can be perceived as vibration.

Bad front bearings would probably be making squealing noise by now. However, you could conceivably have a problem with the front hubs, especially if somebody replaced the original bearing and pressed the new bearings in incorrectly.

You can do some simple check to better pinpoint the cause of vibration problems. First, I would have all four tires checked for balance and bent rims by a tire shop that has a balancer with a roadforce measurement capability. This is a machine that simulates the road force experienced by the tire by pressing a roller under pressure against that tire. It can diagnose if your tire(s) is possibly out of round, causing excessive road force.

Second, jack up the front of the car (preferably two small jacks - one under each front fender lower crease, which is the designated jacking point for the front), then grab each front wheel and move it up and down and from side to side. There should be no play or minimal play. Too much looseness indicates loose bearing, tie rods, or worn steering rack.

Have somebody follow you when you drive the car and watch for any wheel hop due to worn out struts. You can also press down hard on the car bumper and see if the car bounces up and down several times.
    I knew I'd jinx myself by posting a couple weeks ago that my 2000SE had been very reliable up to this point of 75K miles. Last night the Parking Brake Light came on while driving and it seemed as though the torque converter was locked out like the O/D off button was pushed, but it wasn't. I turned the car off, waited 2 mins and started it again and light still on. I was only a few blocks from home when this happened. I didn't notice any engine roughness, like coil problem, but it was only a few blocks. Has anybody had this one before? No SES light on. Any ideas?
  • plumrhumrplumrhumr Member Posts: 1
    1982 nissan maxima 2.4 ran great one day now it wont start.Installed new coil , new cap and rotor . Getting spark at distributor wires and at coil post when ignition is on and when turning over.No surges,just solid light using a probe tester,but no spark thru coil wire to dist. or spark plugs .Please help.Don
  • konekone Member Posts: 19
    make sure the gas cap is tightened "till it clicks".
  • dirkworkdirkwork Member Posts: 210
    In winter driving, the parking brake cables and what not can be frozen and stick. A lot of folks in winter climates don't use the parking brake in the winter for that reason as it can stick on. Your problem might be the switch is broken or frozen from elements, or the brake is stuck even though the handle is released.

Dirk
  • bestfriend1bestfriend1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem.I brought it in Nissan dealer and have them replace the front struts for me. I have more experience then just the struts itself....Good luck..
  • knightsknights Member Posts: 1
    I have read that even if the mfr suggests using premium fuel it would be OK to run on regular. I have tried this on my 99 Maxima sedan and can't feel any difference. No engine pinging. I also own a 2001 Infiniti I30 and am considering switching to regular. Any information or experience would be appreciated
  • jme20002jme20002 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 04 maxima se that has 34,000K miles on it and has been a constant visitor to the dealership for transmission/engine issues. This time I have been without my car for seven days and still no answer to what the problem is. When pulling off from a trtaffic light, then engine revs up like it should for a second then the rpm drops to zero, the car pulses through the rpms like this until I get into second gear. The dealership mentioned that they found an engine failure and transmission faliure result on the diagnostic and corp nissan engineers are now involved. I wonder if I will ever have a running product from nissan without numerous issues. My 04 350Z convertible has tire feathering at 10,000 miles and drives like a wagon on a bumpy trail. It went from sweet to sh_t in 10,000 miles and nissan will not fix the problem until enough people complain like in the 2003 Z model. I bought the 04Z because I was told the problem in the )3's was resolved.
    I am having a similar issue on my 04 maxima se. I will have them look at that once the new transmission shifter comes in tomm and they fix the failing number 2 cylinder/coil. I have been without my car a total of 11 days on two fixes in three months and yes, I am still without it today and was told most likely the rest of this week. What a way to go into the christmas holiday, paying for a car you cannot drive.
    When my car is running, which right now it isnot again. I average 20 mpg city and around 32mpg highway.
  • johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Just picked up my 05 SE on Saturday, while driving to New Orleans this morning I noticed a vibration that comes and goes, but starts at 60mph. When I got home I took it to the dealership and they indicated that they were aware that some cars where doing this, but was fixable. I wonder if this is the same problem? They didn't mention struts but did mention a TSB. I have less than 200 miles on the car, traded in my 03 SE. I hope I am not in for problems. My 03 was great.
  • johnny2003johnny2003 Member Posts: 24
    Scanned past posts but didn't see anything on 05's. Anyone having vibration problems from a 05 Maxima? I have 225 miles on the car and have discovered issues with many 04's. Called Nissan Consumer Affairs and opened a file just in case. Car goes back to the dealer on Monday.