Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    "I was told that the dealer has to turn this information in to get reimbursed by Nissan for parts and labor invested in performing the warranty work."
    They do.

"I naturally thought that this in essence meant the warranty work was done basically at no cost to the dealer (other than the lost cash flow)."
    Yes, they're reimbursed but at a lower rate than their Retail labour prices/repair times.
  • eblumeblum Posts: 52
    Thanks for the tip on the coils! I really appreciate it! My car has been knocking since I bought it...it may help fix it. What do you think?

Also, I have heard of so many dealers trying to make people pay for parts that are covered by the gov't emissions warranty. Again, dealers are pathetic. If we know its covered, they know and just try to rip us of. Do you hear that abtseller?

g00ch, let us know what the dealer says when you tell him that it is covered. It would be interesting to find out how many people they charge for things like this then turn around to Nissan and charge them cause it is covered. I smell a scam.....
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    If you're using premium gas then it's highly likely the cause of your pinging is the coils. This is such a widely known problem amongst Maxima enthusiasts that I'd say it's 90% that it'll fix yer prob. Check out the .org, you'll be amazed on both the info you can find and the knowledge of the guys on that board. They're a bunch of performance nuts that are diehard Maxima drivers. Much more members than on this site, although I like this one too ;-)
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    One more thing, I forgot how many miles are on your Max, but if you're replacing the coils you should replace the spark plugs as well. They're cheap enough and guys on the .org are saying they're seeing much better performance by changing the plugs every 40K miles, even though you're not supposed to have to change them for like 60K or 100K.
  • g00chg00ch Posts: 10
    I found this interesting... I called up the service manager this morning and stated the long-term warranty coverage of the CC. First thing he says is that he was unaware of it and that he thought it was only covered by the 3/36 warranty. He put me on hold, then came back saying that he reentered the VIN to double check the information in the computer. I guess their system is setup to state if a work item is covered by warranty or not. So now I have to go to the dealer and show him my warranty booklet. He will make a copy of the findings and let Nissan know so he can get approval for the warranty work.
    I get angry when dealers don't know that kind of stuff. It is not a Nissan specific thing. All cars have their emissions components covered by that warranty.

It blows my mind that not knowing about the product one sells or services happens all of the time....
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Posts: 360
    I think you are being a bit generous when you make excuses for the dealers in saying that they don't know what they sell or service. IMO, I believe they know what they sell and what are covered by warranty. Unfortunately, as noted by other members of the Board, some dealers are unscrupulous and try to rip off customers by charging them warranteed services and parts and billing Nissan for the work and parts. This is called "double dipping". It takes all kind . . . and I am sure there has to be a few honest dealers or mechanics out there.
  • My 2002 Grey Max was recently scratched up in a parking lot...I was hoping someone could recommend a quality product that they might have used to make things look good as new...
  • Just recently purchased a 2003 SE Maxima and currently have around 13k. Since the purchase of this vehicle at 9k, most of the times when turning at low speeds, there is a cluck / click noise from the front area of the vehicle. Have brought it back to the dealer numerous times and was told everything looks ok. They acknowledge there is a noise but mentioned we cannot just start to change parts without knowing what it is? I was told everything looks ok, but the sound is driving me nuts.
    Could it be anything to do with the CV joint?
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • rljanrljan Posts: 2
    I have a '94 Maxima that the hood struts are leaking and basically useless. I purchased after market lifts that I plan to install. Has anyone done this? Do you have any hints,tricks, warnings or suggestions for me?
    Trust me...I make no excuses for dealers. I think that they are pretty slimy. I have already been flammed on this subject by abtseller (you should let him know how you feel :0 )

So far, my experience with Nissan and GM dealers has been poor (no wonder they rank low on the JD Power ratings). I think that you need to buy a Lexus or BMW to start getting close to good service (but I am sure they try to rip people off even more cause they have more $$)

Just my .02 cents....
  • wainwain Posts: 479
    I think the Toy and Honda dealers are fairer in service things than Nissan or GM
  • brevinbrevin Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2000 GXE with 60k miles. There is
    a faint sqeaking noise that comes from the engine
    compartment when the car is running. When I turn
    off the ignition the car almost sounds like electronically or electrically something is adjusting itself.
    Also, near the fuel injection system, a bronze colored small rod seems to be adjusting itself.
    It moves one way when the car is started and then
    adjusts back when the ignition is turned off. It
    is audible and I'm wondering if its normal.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    I know this is common complaint regarding nissans paint, but having my Max since June I have realized that this paint(clearcoat) is about 0 percent resistant to just about any small object that the car comes into contact with. There are many scratches that have penetrated the clearcoat (not normal for a car less than 1 yr old, imo). Any advice? Otherwise, I like the car...dimly lit SES light still pending however.
  • My 2000 GXE had a similar noise which my patient Nissan mechanic finally traced to one of the electronic engine mounts. It was replaced and the noise was gone. He found it with a stethoscope while I reproduced the noise for him by turning the engine on and off repeatedly. He said he'd never heard of a case of bad engine mounts before, but I believe I've seen mention of it on this board a year or two ago.
  • brevinbrevin Posts: 2
    Hey bgongaware....thanks for the info.
    What were your costs for the repairs? Is this
    something that has to be fixed or if I'm willing
    to live with the noise would it not affect the car?
  • My 03 SE also has dimly lit SES light, anyone find any explainations?
  • O.K. No Laughing, but what is that?
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    nissangirl- that would be the service engine soon light. Yes, your car has one too! :)

03maximan- It's not really visible during daylight/dusk hours....pretty much has to completely dark outside to see but it is noticeable under the right conditions. I talked to the dealer and one possibility was a faulty printed circuit. I cant get the car to the dealer when it's been dark enough to observe the problem(either I'm working, or the shop has closed/not open yet). So I will do the next best thing and hop into my car with the video camera and tape the dumb thing to show these guys that it really is on all the time. Remember, if they cant see/duplicate the problem, you're SOL. Nice to know someone else has this goofy problem.
  • Thank you. I only see mine when I start my car. As for now that's the only time I want to see it.......LOL.