Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• There is about a One inch gap on the top left where the molding does not meet. You can see the top driver side corner of the windshield. This also happens to be where the leak is in my headliner. First time I brought it to the dealer they said they put their window guy on it and he sealed it up, which he didn't still the gap. Last time they said it was the sunroof drains and avoided the gap. I am going to take it to another dealer next week. I am also going to call Nissan consumer division, b/c this seems like an obvious problem that should be fixed. I think these guys just try to push me off until my warranty runs out. Did I also mention I have been there three times for a check engine light? This is my second Maxima and I am not sure I will get another one. They keep going up in price and I am beginning to question there reliability and service. Problem is I don't like anything else in the same price range. Amazing, the dealer was like must of leaked because it was raining hard. Dang, I guess I should not drive when it is raining....
  • Good day everyone. I bought my first Nissan in March of 03, a Majestic Blue SE 6-speed Maxima, traded my Acura TL. The car has been beautiful, just has one draw-back, at speeds above 55, the front floats. I manage to talk a friend into purchasing a 03 Maxima shortly after I got mine, and over the weekend went for a drive, his doesn't float at speeds above 55, or as a matter a fact, any speed (of course unless the wind is blowing hard). Any ideas as to what may be causing this?
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Majestic black Bridgestone Potenza tires.
  • If you're right P100; "Then Da@M. that really bites!!!" ... Any other thoughts?
  • For those of you with 2002 and 2003 Maximas, you may want to check the Nissanusa.com website regarding a recall on the Engine Sensor. I just checked my VIN against the applicable VIN's and my car fell under the Recall cars. I just called my dealership to make an appointment. If I hadn't checked the website, I wouldn't have known since I still haven't received anything in the mail. Just a heads up to those of you that don't know yet!!
  • Just received the recall notice for my 02 maxima. It is the sensor issue that exists in 02 and 03 maxima, according to the notice. It also says the problem can cause "Service Engine Soon" light on. I have been struggling with this problem for a long time, despite many visits to the dealers. Hopefully this is the real reason that can solve this mystery.
  • jpellijpelli Posts: 13
    Hey kp40m!
    Read your post #1734. I've got the same problem with my '03 SE. Did you ever find anything out when you got your car serviced, like you said? Have a feeling a number of us have this problem but I've never found anyone here that has a solution. Hope to hear from you. Thanks.
    Joe
  • Here's an oldie but goodie. I have 47K on my maxima and the check engine light came on. Sounds like the ignition coils are the problem. I am waiting to hear from Nissan if they will pay to replace them. If they don't, is it easy for me to replace them myself? Those suckers are expensive. I had a Honda Civic that had 150K with no problems. I have had to deal with the shady brakes, shady paint job, and I guess I am waiting for an O2 Sensor problem with this darn car. I will never get another Nossan again! By the way, is it easy to replace the O2 sensor?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 14,276
    O2s can aren't inherently difficult to replace (not much different than a spark plug). The trick sometimes is finding them, and needing to have the light reset.

I think the coils must be easy to replace, since they pretty much plug onto the tops of the spark plugs. They are just wicked expensive.

I can't believe they make that much of a difference over an old fashioned style coil 9at least not enough to make up for the replacement cost if they only last 50K or so).

2013 Acura RDX (wife's), 2007 Volvo S40 (when daughter lets me see it), 2000 Acura TL (formerly son's, now mine again), and new Jetta SE (son's first new car on his own dime!)

• kp40mkp40m Posts: 19
    Sorry for not posting this sooner.

Went into the dealer for the 15,000 mile check-up and asked them to check out the dash creak, rear window noise and sunroof noise. "Amazingly" they could not reproduce any of the noise problems. I do a lot of highway driving and the wind noises are noticable at 65+ (which the dealer did not want to reproduce as the highway speed limit near the dealer is 55). Overall, this dealer does not seem interested in resolving "noises" so there is no resolution at this time. He claimed they would have to take the dash apart to fix the rattle (once they verify it), which would take 2 days and in my opinion may make things worse than they are. I may try wedging something behind the square plastic housing aroung the clock as that is where the noise (quite obvious when you go over a bump in cold weather) is coming from.
  • Hey CCermark, I read an earlier comment you made saying you know where I could order ignition coils cheaper than the dealer. Could you email me that info? BrianZi2@aol.com
  • jpellijpelli Posts: 13
    Thanks kp40m! Anyone else got any answers to this most elusive problem?
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I tried emailing your above mentioned email address and it bounced back as a failure. Are you sure it's correct in the above post? I'm familiar with another chat board that I can point you to that has TONS of info on coils, and a person on there who can get you parts. I believe he actually works at a Nissan parts dealer, but they do so much volume they sell cheaper than anyplace else.
  • Ya, it's the right one. It's Brianzi2@aol
    Perhaps you forgot the number 2 or you mistakened the second i for a 1
  • timadamstimadams Posts: 294
    Thanks for the heads-up on the recall notice. My VIN# indicates I have two of the recalls: the Engine Sensor and the Transverse Link Replacement. I also have a question: I've been noticing a hesitation lately, and I know there have been some TSBs about Maxima hesitation. Will the engine sensor recall fix this problem, or should I figure out which TSB(s) to alert my dealer to about the hesitation?
  • qzhouqzhou Posts: 2
    I have managed to retrieve the fault codes from my 1999 Maxima and they are p1320 and p0135 and p0320. The code reader indicates that Cylinder no. 2 misfire detected and ignition primary circuit fault. Also the "Upstream oxygen sensor heater (right bank) is a problem. I want to replace them myself but don't know which one is Bank 1 Sensor 1. There is one on the passenger side (close to the radiator, visible) and one underneath on the driver side (need to get under the car to see). I can eliminate the one further down the exhaust system.

Could anyone tell me which one is the right bank?

Also, is Cylinder 2 the middle one on the front row (close to the radiator) or on the back row?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    In the rear exhaust manifold. Cylinder numbering is front bank 2,4,6 from passenger side to driver side, rear bank 1,3,5 from pass. to driver side.
  • ocuihsocuihs Posts: 138
    Since the 04 is another generation (6th), why buy the early production models especially those produced in the first/second quarter of 2003, yes that's 2003? Was it because you want to be the first on your blocks to own it?

Any new/redesigned car models may have "defects" no matter how aggressively tested.

My point is "defects" do happen. Best of luck to you!
  • qzhouqzhou Posts: 2
    First, many thanks to Al from Canada (sorry I don't know your full name) who helped me in the previous message to locate the cylinder.

I got fault code P1320 IGN SPEED which is listed in the Maxima's manual as "Ignition signal primary circuit fault". Since my 1999 Maxima also tested with the fault code P0302, "Cylinder 2 misfire detected" I thought replacing the ignition coil would sure solve the problem.

So I bought an ignition coil (Hanshin) which is exactly the same as the original part number and replaced Cylinder 2 ignition coil. I started the engine but soon I noticed misfiring again. So I hooked up the OBD II scanner and tested again. The reading is the same even after I cleared the codes and retested. The reading also indicated "P1320 Ignition/distributor egine speed input circuit. Received from egine controller address $10."

I was very hopeful that the new ignition coil would fix the problem. Now I'm totally lost. Does anyone know if the code P1320 IGN SPEED means something else than the ignition coil problem? -- I still have an oxygen heater fault problem but I don't see it causing P1320, or will it?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!
  • alcanalcan Posts: 2,550
    P1320: Ignition Control (IC) Module 4x Reference Circuit Intermittent No Pulses

Looks like there's a problem with the ignition module OR it's associated wiring. Remember, scan tools retrieve trouble codes which indicate circuit faults. They can NOT determine if a component has failed. That requires diagnosis of the fault.
  • Hi there...
    I have a '02 Maxima with 17,500 miles on it... I noticed hesitation on my car too! I thought it was just me being over sensitive...but yesterday i was driving on the highway and all of a sudden the "Service Engine Soon" light came on.... i did my business and went home and parked it... Im taking it to the dealer on Monday to get it checked out. I was wondering if u found out anything about ur car's problem. I too have made an appt for the recall... Im getting that done this monday... Could let me know if u have more info to bostonianthug@hotmail.com... Thanks in advance
  • roar1roar1 Posts: 193
    I have a 2k Max. When I start the car in the morning when the outside temps are below ~ 20 deg., the engine will stall when I first put it in gear. The fast idle does work under these conditions. After one or two restarts it is then OK. Does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks in advance !!
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    My 2000 SE used to do that once in a while. I now make it a practice to let it idle for a while first, usually it'll idle fast, then after a bit it'll like slow down RPMs for a second, and then pick back up a little and then I'll go and it'll be fine. Whole process takes maybe a full minute. If I just start cold and throw in gear right away I'd get same problem you mention. Seems like it has to do with the ECU (computer) and it's fuel mapping. It's like it floods out if put in gear during initial fast idle, which would make sense why hard to restart right away after. Just a theory. Regardless, I now let it warm up a while and haven't had problem since.
  • I wanna recommend the service dept. of Frost Nissan of Newton, MA as the best for Service... Ask for Ruben or Stephen... they r the best and really cool. I bought my Maxima from Nissan of Natick in Mass. Phew.... what a bad service from the service dept. Sales was great though...
  • Our CD Player skips randomly.
    Car is only one month old.
    Dealer replaced the original player and the new one has the same problem. Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this with 2004 Maximas.

Thanks,
  • I've read other people complaining about this same problem when the weather is cold.
  • It's my wife's car, so I'm not in it very often to experience the problem.
    I was in it today and the CD skipped. It was about 30 degrees. We're in Minnesota, so if it's going to act up when it's cold, we have a problem.
  • and that's not good if its skipping with the weather we've had the last couple days. It probably froze like everything else a few weeks ago.

Where did you buy your Maxima? I'm buying one in October and am interested in your experience and what you paid. I know Walser sells everything at 93% of MSRP, so that's a start. I'm sure I can get a Luther or Morries dealer to beat that price. I may also go as far as Rochester, Mankato or St. Cloud to price shop via e-mail
  • Any stolen xenon headlights on 2004 Maximas? Are they really more secure than 2003-2?
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    I have an 02 SE and have had 4 cd players replaced. Mine had nothing to do with the weather. They were all just junk. I finally have a good one now. I don't know if the same bose head unit is used in the 02-04 but I'd just have them replace it until you get one that works.

On a different cd issue, I have factory cd's that will stop playing in the middle of songs. I've burned copies of those cd's and the ones I've burned don't have any problems. Go figure.