Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    A buddy of mine runs a car repair shop, they run into this problem a LOT. They use a product called Heli-coil I think, you drill out the stud (he had a small air powered drill) - just don't drill to far into the water jacket of the block. Then, insert the product and it should solve your problem. But this is a difficult (access) and tricky job for a DIY guy, you need to find a good shop I'd guess, or if you have all the tools and some skill, go for it. I have not personally needed to do this, btw.

DD
  • I bought a Max 2002 few months ago with 18k mi, overall, I love it!
    Howver, the only 2 problems I have so far were my driver window suddenly stuck, it couldn't roll up or down... Just want to know if anyone has same problem? will it come more? (hope not) Not good in winter with icy road! It couldn't move when the road was very icy because its head is too heavy! Now only slight snow, I am ok with it :-)
  • A friend had the same problem on a Pathfinder. The solution was to replace the lift motor. On my Accord, I had windows that would also stick, but I solved the problem by applying silicone spray to the seals and window tracks.
  • dimmerdimmer Posts: 2
    OK, this is really ticking me off. I just bought a new '04 Maxima. To even remotely have a chance at cleaning the windshield, I have to turn the wipers on high and continuously flood my window with fluid hoping that some cleaning fluid will be splashed to the middle and top of the windshield. I’ve taken this into the dealer and they’ve informed me that there is no solution, “must be a design flaw”, they said. Does anyone know of a solution (fix) to how I can get the angle of spray adjusted to reach higher onto my windshield?
  • ccermakccermak Posts: 260
    I have a 2000 Maxima and mine sucks also. Same thing, shoots one wussy little stream up about half way. Heard this complaint from other Max owners as well. Would've thought they'd fixed that by now. Not sure on a fix, may have to look for an aftermarket system or something, if there is such a thing.
  • blh7068blh7068 Posts: 376
    fwiw my wiper fluid nozzels shoot fine...
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    The nozzles can be adjusted by inserting a stiff piece of thin wire or a needle into each nozle and moving it into a desired position to achieve adequate spray height. I assume that 2002 and later models still have the nozzles on the hood.
  • I have a '03 MAX SE with 11500 trouble-free miles. This winter, however, there is a creaking sound coming from the dashboard on the passenger side. The sound seems to be originating from along the line where the dash and the bottom of the winshield meet. I'm not sure if the sound comes from the dash or the winshield, or both. It only happens when the car goes over bumps and the outside temp is below freezing.

I wonder if anyone has the same problem, and what is the solution.

Since it doesn't happen all the times, I really don't want to bring this up to the dealer. I'm afraid they gonna tear up the dash, and only to create more creakings and rattlings later on.
  • kp40mkp40m Posts: 19
    I have a 2003 GLE (20,000 miles) with a similar dash creak when its cold outside and I go over bumps. The creak stops if I push down on the plastic housing above the clock. I am going in for service this week and will post what I find.
    Possibly some genius at Nissan suggested that they save a few felt strips when assembling the dash on later model Maximas. After all, these people eliminated one small metal clip (squealer) per disc brake set. I fail to see how can you realize any meaningful savings by not installing a 10 cent metal clip on a $ 60 set of brake pads.
  • I purchased a 2003 SE in May. The driver's side mirror vibrates when driving, not the housing, just the mirror inside. Took it to the dealer and they where unable to tighten it. The passengers mirror is perfectly still. Should i just have them replace the whole unit?

Anyone with similar problem and a fix?
    Yes, insist on mirror replacement. That is what the warranty is for. If Nissan chooses to go with a cheaper supplier to save money and installs inferior product on this car, you have every right to demand a good quality mirror. Besides, this is a safety related issue, rather that a purely cosmetic one.
  • can't wait to hear an update on your car after you take it for servicing.

Besides this little annoyance, the car has been flawless. I only wish that I had gotten a 330i instead, for the smaller size and a bit more nimbleness. :-(

Ironically, for two straight mornings I saw two different 330i convertibles, all are 2001+ models, left on the side of the same stretch of road w/ their emergency lights blinking. And then I started feeling better about my max again.... :-)
  • I bought a 04 with Elite package back in November. I have read several postings from people complaining of the cabin never getting warm. I am having the same problem. I live on the coast of NC so the coldest is about high 20's to low 30's and I still can't get very warm in the car. Just took it in to service and the response was "that's just a Nissan.." I have a 93 celica that will run you out the car with the heater but I can't get warm heat out of a $35,000 car? Anyone know of any remedies, recalls, etc. for this problem. The only other complaint I have is the very poor turn radius. Guess there are no fixes for that one...Any help very much appreciated
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    There's a section of pages in the 04 Maxima Service Manual that describes how to trouble shoot this specifically as an issue.

It is in the Automatic Air Conditioner section (ATC-pages 85-94).

As I read through this section, there's a lot of potential problem areas with this system, temp sensors, dual controls, remembered settings, etc.

I'd call the dealer and tell them you specifically want them to run this section to resolve the issue, not just say it's a Nissan, that's BS, IMO.
    As posted above, my 2000 Max had the same creak in the A-pillar on passenger side. This was a really common problem on 5th gen Maxis. The easiest fix is as mentioned above, take a piece of felt that's same color as your trim and wedge it in that seam. It's the plastics rubbing on each other and a piece of felt will keep them separated. It's working for me for last 30k miles ;-). Except now I have another one that's worse going up the b-pillar where the seatbelt comes out. I'm in MN and it's COLD here and I have more creaks in winter than summer.
    My 2000 Max SE has a weird problem going on. All my lights including headlights, gauge cluster, dome light, fog lights, basically everything except the clock and radio numbers all FLICKER really fast simultaneously. It's worst at idle with car in gear. If I turn the car off but leave the lights on the problem goes away. Does this sound like the Alternator or Voltage Regulator in the Alternator???? Doesn't seem like battery, I've left the car out recently for 24+ hours in 40 degrees below zero and it started. How tough is it to check ground wires?
  • dimmerdimmer Posts: 2
    Sorry P100, your assumptions aren’t accurate. The fluid dispensers are located under the hood. Second, the Altima (not the Maxima) has pin-hole dispensers that can be adjusted. So far the dealer hasn’t been able to come up with a solution. I’ve even requested that the Altima dispensers be put on my Maxima.
    As you can imagine, the dealer hasn’t call me back with an answer to that one yet!
    Get a direct current voltmeter and attach to the battery terminals. Start the engine and watch the voltage. If the voltage regulator is working correctly you should see about 13.5 to 14.0 volts without much fluctuation. Turn on the lights and observe the indicated voltage. It should drop some (about 0.5 to 1 volt, depending on the load), but it should not fluctuate wildly. If you see quick voltage fluctuation, something like 12 to 15 volts, you probably have a defective voltage regulator. To check the ground wires, first check the negative battery cable connection to the engine block. You need a shop manual to see where other small grounds are located in the vehicle. Some grounds may be located behind the instrument cluster.
    It figures. The old hood mounted nozzles were too reliable and too easily adjustable, so they had to redesign them. All of my cars and trucks have hood mounted nozzles, so I never had problems like you describe.