Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Maxima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• wainwain Posts: 479
    if he drove on dirt i felt he would tell us
  • ocuihsocuihs Posts: 138
    my bad, please ignore the first statement on my previous post: "No wonder Nissan stopped production on SkyView Roofs in February 2004." I read it wrong on NissanNews.com

our SkyView Roof's glass replacement is fixed in 3 business days. Nissan overnight the glass to our dealer yesterday and fixed it today.

Overall, it was a superb experience!!

The dealer in MA and our local dealer have this award: "Nissan Owner First Award of Excellence".

The "temporary fix" to prevent from the weather and SkyView Roof's glass replacement pictures:
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/612165/2
  • fasterfaster Posts: 2
    Hi, My 01 SE has many issues that I want to take it to a service shop for checking. Mainly I want to check suspensions, tires, brakes, and steering.

Can any one recommend an honest, skillful, and competitively priced mechanic (or shop) in Northern Virginia (Fairfax)?

I am willing to drive a bit farther to get a person/shop if they meet my needs.

Thank you very much for your kind help in advance.

/Chris
  • slj930slj930 Posts: 2
    Hi! I just recently purchased a 2000 Maxima SE. I've had no complaints, except last month I started to hear a buzzing noice after the engine is turned off. I had someone take it to a Nissan dealer and was told that the problem was the Electronic Engine Mounts.

From searching previous chat discussions, I see this is a common problem for this model. What this mechanic said that I had a hard time with is that if the problem isn't fixed, it could cause some sort of electical or computer short. Has anyone heard of this before?

I was told that the repair would cost approximately $700 (high mileage, no longer on warranty), but if it's something that can be put off or is just a nuisance noise, obviously I'd much rather put it off for the time being. The car is performing great otherwise.

Thanks in advance for any info anyone can provide.
  • balbal Posts: 2
    Had the same identical experience, with no solution at the moment. Dealer tried reducing the tire pressue, no improvement. Will be asking dealer to change tires to see if that resolves issue.
  • balbal Posts: 2
    I noticed that you had a March posting, have you found a solution to your problem?
  • idntnvuidntnvu Posts: 251
    Thank you all for your knowledge, suggestions, etc. My dad didn't get the Maxima, and is now looking at the Buick line, such as a Park Avenue. Found one today, a '99 Ultra with 52k, leather, moonroof, power/heated seats, all the goodies for $13k. I think it'll suit him, and mom, much better. It'll have more room and be more comfortable on trips. Thanks again!
    spray parts of the front end with water, and tighten every frame bolt you can see
  • Does anyone know if there is a fix from Nissan on the exploding Sky View roofs and sunroofs and also on the front end "bong" and suspension/tire vibration problems?
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    only the skyview was exploding, not the traditional sunroof.
  • p100p100 Posts: 1,116
    Yes, there is a fix for all these. It is called procurement of higher quality components, which means properly annealed sky view/sunroof panels and better quality front end components. So long as Nissan will search for the lowest cost components at the expense of quality, these problems will persist. Also, the components must be properly assembled, and this is one area where quality control seems to be limping too.
    when Renault bought them is 00 or 01 the big push was to cut costs, not maintain quality and cut costs but cut costs.

My grading would be Toyota about 96, Honda 93 and Nissan about an 85.
  • Ordered a Maxima SE almost 2 months ago. Found out yesterday that factory decided not to produce it and cancelled my order. I am one unhappy puppy! Same dealership (Beavercreek, Ohio) denied existence of the Nissan "Customer Satisfaction Initiative" on the 2004 Quest. Initiative involves up to 9 upgrades included under warranty for the 2004 Quest. Their service department is major sub-par. Do not mention anything found on the Internet as it is hearsay!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Posts: 536
    I use the same dealership as you (JS) but luckily my 2003 Maxima SE has been mechanically trouble-free. FWIW, I never buy a car in the first production year. I wanted the new Accord in 2003 but even Honda quality wasn't good enough to overcome my first year fears. My last 2 cars were bought in the last year of their production cycles (2000 GMC Jimmy, 2003 Maxima SE) and both were very reliable. You might consider the 2005 Camry XLE or the Accord EX as a Maxima alternative. Just my .02
  • kevin111kevin111 Posts: 991
    A friend of mine just had his front brakes replaced in his car, and now finds his radio not working (worked prior to taking it in).

Any ideas why this might have happened, or what this could be?

Thank you.
  • aggiedogaggiedog Posts: 238
    First thing I'd check would be the fuses.
  • dirkworkdirkwork Posts: 210
    Its not in NVA but Laurel Maryland, but a friend of mine runs a very good small repair business called "Vernon's" on Rt 1 just north of Laurel's main drag, where the northbound and southbound lanes come right back together near Laurel Dodge (across street). He honestly prefers working on GM cars and hot rods but they do all sorts of stuff including motorhomes and trucks. Ask for Richard.
    I have a 99 I30 with a CD changer under the seat - if you eject the CD cartridge that holds the 6 CDs while the car is running it blows the fuse every time.

turn the key off and u can eject the cartridge with no problem
  • lichtronimolichtronimo Posts: 212
    I've got an order in for a 2004 SE that I placed in late may. I know the factory kicked my order out right away because they said to get a 6spd with sunroof that you had to order the Sensory package (I tried just getting by with cloth). We put the order back in ASAP and as far as I know everyting is OK.

Did they give you a specific reason why the order was cancelled?
  • lichtronimo,

They claimed that the factory would not produce the white package with the caffe latte interior. I do not know if they really knew the reason. We have since ordered a Chrysler 300C and when the order goes in and it is not producable, the order is kicked back immediately.

I am overall disappointed with Nissan. I fought for 9 months to get my 2004 Quest fixed with numerous problems. The dealer and Nissan USA played dumb saying mine was the only Quest having problem. I shoved the Internet forums on these problems down their throat and they just ignored me. Now suddenly my Quest is at the dealer today having six problems fixed as the result of a Nissan Customer Satisfaction Initiative on the Quest. Nissan sucks!!!!!!!!!!!