Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2011 Nissan Quest

Comments

• ucfphi225ucfphi225 Posts: 18
    I just went on about a 225 round trip and tracked my mileage. Keeping in mind this was a camping trip; I had had a tent, chairs, etc strapped to the roof and the entire rear cargo area (behind the 2nd row) full with coolers and bags, all of which kills gas mileage.

I averaged about 30 MPH as most of the driving was on the highway at about 80 MPH and I finished just over 17 MPG. Obviously not what was advertised, but that's with cheap gas, stuff on the roof and a full load.

The first 500-1000 miles I definitely did not get great mileage, but I've put about 2500 on my Quest now and it's doing much better.
  • Sounds like a hater to me, probably drives a toyota. First off the government (EPA) has tested MPG and put it on the window sticker.

I bought my Quest SL with DVD player for invoice over the weekend. So far I have gotten 19.5 MPG mixed driving. I drove the Odyssey, but prefered the nissan. I love the suv style flop down seats, and dont miss the little bit of space I give up. What sealed the deal was the one touch power doors.

If you need more proof of goof mpg check below

http://www.insideline.com/toyota/sienna/2011/2011-minivan-comparison-test.html
  • I have a 2 month old 2011 Nissan Quest SL that has recently started experience problems with the doors. I cannot open the sliding doors or rear door by pressing the buttons on the handles. I also cannot open these doors from the inside by pressing the buttons. The only way I can open them is by using the key fob. Anyone have suggestions?

So far, everything else is great with this car expect Gas Mileage is about 16-17 City.
  • jakevsnakejakevsnake Posts: 14
    I recently bought a new 20011 Quest SL model with DVD package and I must say this is the nicest vehicle I have owned yet. I bought the 2004 Quest when it first came out and I thought it was different and interesting for its time but this Quest is far superior in build quality and comfort. The ride is so smooth and the CVT is very nice. Its unusual if you never have driven a car with this kind of transmission but its a pleasant experience. I have heard a couple of people mention about a humming noise from the engine but so far I have not noticed anything unusual about the engine or the transmission other than the lack of "shifting" you get with a AT.

I purchased my van in Chesapeake, VA for $34,800 out the door with all taxes/tags/etc paid for. The price was $1800 or so BELOW invoice. I cannot help but feel I got a great deal on this van and I am very happy with it so far. We have about 1000 miles on it so far. One thing I notice is this van seems to have a much tighter turn radius than I remember on my 2004 model. I cant help but think that this might be the result of Japanese manufacturing and the need for such maneuverability on narrow Japanese roads. This is modeled after the El Grand so it would make sense. Having lived in Japan for almost 9+ yrs I really appreciate the quality Nissan seems to have put into this vehicle. I do not understand why so few people have purchased this van. It is NOT the 2004-2009 model and people should seriously go and take a look at it. I looked at the Honda and the Sienna and they both left me wanting more. The interior of the Quest is far superior to anything Honda or Toyota has to offer.

The true reliability will show over time but I am confident that Nissan has put out a much more refined product that is built to last. As for gas mileage, I averaged almost 23MPG on a trip to Canada. This is at least as good as my 2004 if not better. I have limited city driving to compare it fairly but it seemed like I had around 17MPG in lots of stop and go before we left. If you are on the fence about getting one of these I think you owe it to yourself to check this one out.
  • autowriteautowrite Posts: 226
    What's with the power sliding doors? My 2002 Odyssey has this power feature, with touch buttons on the far left dash. If sitting in the passenger seat just pull a leaver and release or do the same outside on the door handle. You must not hold on to these levers. It would be the same on the newest Odysseys. The hidden sliding rail feature is most likely a Chrysler pattened feature and cannot be used by others in it's current design. I like that the Nissan is made in Japan; although Canada could do just as well. You might need a domestic supply of parts; not be out and have to wait for Japan to ship them.
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    edited June 2011
    "...I have a 2 month old 2011 Nissan Quest SL that has recently started experience problems with the doors. I cannot open the sliding doors or rear door by pressing the buttons on the handles. I also cannot open these doors from the inside by pressing the buttons. The only way I can open them is by using the key fob. Anyone have suggestions?..."

Might be a silly solution, but perhaps there is a "sliding door on/off" switch that you turned OFF by mistake?
  • Not silly at all, that was the problem. We figured it out the next day. LOL...
  • holdem1holdem1 Posts: 1
    A new national rebate for the Quest started yesterday. It is $750 cash back or 0% 36 months / 0.9% 60 month.
  • I actually liked the boxy Flex. Looked retro, and was quite nice inside, but I missed my mini-van doors and interior space. Lots of people asked me about my Flex when I owned it before I bought a Quest. (Before that I had an '06 Odyssey, then before that an '01 Murano) To each his own, I guess!
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    Just did a 2,100 mile trip.

Got between 21.5 and 23 MPG. Mostly 22. My 2004 SL used to get 24.5mpg. I think the new transmission is not a good for mileage (?)

The Nav is good, but when I pull off the highway there were a lot of towns (not small towns) that had no info on roads (Emporia NC for example), on the plus side I did find that it was very helpful in finding places to eat much quicker then my old garmin, and adding as a waypoint was very easy.

Wierd thing. Once I got to my hotel in Fl it would play an "intro music" each day, unless I set another destination. Never did that for any other place I go in NJ.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,674
    My 2004 SL used to get 24.5mpg. I think the new transmission is not a good for mileage (?)

So...I'm assuming you're in the new 2011 Quest with CVT?

It would be nice to see more 2011 samples; it appears as though the Sienna owners "brag" about high 20's.
  • thegamperthegamper Posts: 9
    Sienna and Odyssey owners can brag all they want about mpg, I doubt its much better than the Quest in real world. But they can keep them, because the interiors on those minivans are just plain dumpy. Honda and Toyota have been riding their reputation with consumers for a while now, decontenting their vehicles relying on customer loyalty to keep them coming back paying more for less with each new generation of car. Its starting to show in Toyota and Honda quality and craftsmanship in my opionion. Whereas, Quest is the serious underdog with a lot to prove and the end result should sway a lot of unbiased customers. I still havent decided what to get, price will be a factor, but the Quest is my front runner. Love the styling. If I get one, I will call her "chunk"

Coming off lease of Ford Flex Limited, another seriously underrated and fantastic vehicle btw.
  • ichisanichisan Posts: 2
    Been looking at the Quest for past 2 months and getting very close to pulling the trigger. Nissan dealership have much to be desire. Been all over OC dealerships and not one knows anything about the Quest. Drove the Quest(ELGrand) ten years ago on vacation in Japan. This van is made for road trip. Should I wait and see if Nissan will have a better incentive?

Hit up AMNX.ZAG.com and came back with $38.880.00 for LE with double moonroof. Looking for White/pearl with Gray interior. Not too many white LE in OC.
    Never been to AMNX.ZAG.com...don't see how it came up with $38.8k.

When I do a TMV for a LE Dual Moonroof I get $39,438 (central TX).

The TMV shows an invoice of $39,841...so what you're showing is about $1k under invoice...if true, seems pretty good to me.
  • ichisanichisan Posts: 2
    I just check with http://amexnetwork.zag.com again and the price is $37.991.00 with the $ 750 incentive in OC CA. TrueCar rating is Great with this price. A $5519 from MSRP.
    re: Sienna and Odyssey owners can brag all they want about mpg

My 2002 Odyssey gets 19-25 mpg (imperial gallons) in the city and 30-34 and the odd time 37 mfg on the highway. On a trip 2 wks ago it got 34 from Guelph, ON to Alpena, MI return. It currently has 280mkms on it.

2002 Honda Odyssey EX
    Previously owned-
    1992 Ford Taurus L 4 door 300 cu in long-stroke
    1982 Ford E150 Customized by Triple-E travel Van 351 cu ins V8
    1979 Mercury Zephyr 6 cylinder 4-door sedan
    1972 Datsun 510 4-door automatic
    1967 Plymount Valiant 2-door sedan large-v6
    1965 Morris 1100
    1963 Austin 850 mini
    re: CVT engineering.

I would think the CVT is not set to 2-8 speeds as it is a variable transmission.

For eons the DAF in Holland have been using CVTs. A vehcile in Germany called the Ro80 used it as well as using a rotory engine.
    heh...must be my location...I show a $39,904 from the AMX Auto Purchase Program
  • edm9394edm9394 Posts: 1
    I just bought A Nissan Quest SL, and added the Maintenance Plus service plan. At the time I signed the contract, I was told the new generation quest uses different motor oil, and cost $100+ for each oil change at 3 months or 3750 miles. Then, I called 5 different dealers today for a service quote, 3 of them told me it costs $80-100, but 2 of them said the new quest use the same motor oil just like the previous model, and only cost $20 dollars for the oil change. If that is true, I have to cancel the maintenance plus plan, anyone know how to cancel that? help please!
  • coupedncalcoupedncal Posts: 252
    The cost of the oil aside, the frequency is NOT 3 months or 3750 miles. I can only believe this figure comes from dealers who are looking to make extra $$. Today's oil change interval based on mileage is close to three times that.
    I'd check the specs in the owners manual...see the exact type of oil required and call a couple places.

I recall VW's have a specific type of oil required for their turbo's (certain type of synthetic).

Can't see anything but 5w30 for this...but who knows. I was just a Sears getting a battery...saw a "bulk" oil change...3 oil changes for $50 :)
  • plashenickplashenick Posts: 162
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2011 LE, with Service plan. The bill showed normal price: $20.00 from my dealer. I go in for 7K next week.

Manual shows 5W-30, nothing special.
  • maui77maui77 Posts: 7
    My new Quest has the conversation mirror instead of the sunglasses holder. I personally think the mirror is a gimmick and is supposed to enable viewing of activity in the 2nd and 3rd rows. The wide angle reduces the lmage so much I really can tell much of anything with it. I would much rather have the sunglasses holder. Can the conversation mirror be replaced with the sunglasses holder in thr SL model?
    heh...those mirrors are like fun-house mirrors.

I think you're supposed to be able to keep an eye on the kids...or something to that effect.

I'd much rather prefer a telescoping rod with a rubber glove/sponge on the end...to keep the kids inline :)

There are a number of online nissan parts stores...but I'd first call your local Nissan Parts Department.
  • maui77maui77 Posts: 7
    Thanks for the reply. I already have spoken with two Nissan dealerships' parts and service departments and they pretty much gave me the "trainee salute". It looks too simple to not be able to swap the mirror out,...but maybe there haven't been enough inquisitions to NIssan. Looks like I'm stuck with the "funhouse". :confuse:
  • pg1008pg1008 Posts: 1
    We bought the 2011 Nissan Quest LE about 2 months back. Today when we were about to go out the van won't start, felt like the battery was discharged. The van had been sitting idle for 5-6 days, moreover I suspect that I might have left one of the interior lights on which must have discharged the battery.

Since this vehicle does not have a regular key to turn on/off the engine, does anybody know how to jump start the vehicle? I also read in the owner's manual to depress the accelerator pedal and try starting the vehicle, but not sure if that's the correct route to take since the battery sounds pretty much discharged.
  • msebmseb Posts: 2
    I'm curious if the problem was actually a dead battery. We have had a problem with our 2011 Quest SL when we are parked on an incline, with the nose of the vehicle down, and have less than 1/3 a tank of gas. When we return to the car, we get a fuel indicator light and the gauge reads below E. It takes 3-5 minutes driving on level terrain before the indicators go back to how they were before we parked. One time, when I was parked on the side of a road with a particularly steep incline, the car died. AAA had to add 7 gallons of fuel before it would start again. The dealership replaced the fuel pump and fuel gauge assemblies, and we are still having the same problem. I am very curious about whether anyone else is experiencing similar problems, or whether anyone can guess what else might be causing this problem.
  • I had the exact same issue....gas was a bit lower than a 1/4 of a tank and we parked on a hill. The car started and stalled....was about to call road side but thought of rolling down the hill to flat ground to try again. Sure enough....once on flat ground the van started and we raced to a gas station...lol. Lesson learned....cannot park the Quest on a sharp decline with less than 1/4 tank. Not exactly the best answer...but other than that the van is great.
  • Well, I've driven the Honda Ody, Toyota Sienna, and Nissan Quest. I'm leaning towards the Quest.

I currently have a 2003 Honda EX-L and the interior noise drives me nuts. Also, had to get a new transmission at 83K, luckily I only had to pay 10%. (I had to put on the charm to make them pay for that, although, they know they have/had an issue with the transmissions.) So hard to trust Honda again. The new Honda is still noisy. The only thing that I really like about the new Honda is the audible back up system. It beeps when you are getting too close to an item. And I don't mind the thunderbolt - kinda like it.

Toyota Sienna - quiet, but looks so boring. Also, lots of interior plastic.

I like the Quest because it looks different than the other mini vans. Also very quiet. The conversation mirror (love it! Big help for a mom like me). The mirror is so much better than the useless one in the Toyota. And I like the keyless feature and just touching the button on the door handle to open the sliding doors.

Deciding issues - We live 8 miles from the Honda dealer, almost 20 to the Nissan. Hopefully, Nissan will drop me off/pick me up for any maintance. I don't enjoy hanging out at the dealer. Not too keen on buying first year model years, might have to wait a year or two.