Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 HHR won't shift out of park

2»

Comments

• laserbluelaserblue Posts: 313
    What year is yours (kzd) ?

Exactly the same thing when I was starting to take my time to shift it out of "Park". It would happen a couple of time and then I had to tell myself;"Take your time and it'll be in Drive". Tried it again and it shifted in "Drive" like a knife in butter.
    Now it o.k. every time because I'm used to it now (taking my time).
  • I have an '08 HHR 75,000 mi. and it is doing the same thing. I live in Florida and have no hills. My driveway is flat so I don't need to set the parking brake. When I go out to start it the car starts fine but when I try to shift into reverse or drive I apply the brake very carefully and try to move the sifter but it is just locked in park! I have to monkey around with it by pushing and releasing the brake pedal several times till finally it realeases and I can get it out of park. Trouble is the problem seems to be getting worse! I have a bumper to bumper warranty and was wondering first of all if anyone has finally figured out what is causing this problem and secondly does the warranty cover it. And Carolyn from GM C.S. Have you heard anything on this problem yet? It seems to be a common one in the HHR and Cobalt!
  • Thank you for posting, Dilligaf3,

We can look into your vehicle's information to see if there are nay open safety recalls on it, or can provide further warranty information for you. As to whether or not a warranty will cover a repair, it depends upon a dealership's diagnosis as well as the warranty coverage available.

If we can be of assistance, please email us with your name/user name, contact information, and the last 8 digits of your VIN.

Best,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • I have the same problem my hhr is stuck on park and it won't shift to drive do I really need to replace the whole unit
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    evolfede3691,

If you were going to have this work done at your dealership and wanted for us to work with you through that process, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, a summary of the situation, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • My HHR is a 2010 LT2 (bought new) and at 62 miles I couldn't shift from "P" to "D". Had to be towed to the dealer and they replaced the entire shifter.
    Unfortunately you have to change the ol'darn unit.
    Sometimes it does it again and I'm at 25,000 miles but by taking my time and trying a couple of times (3 to 4 times) by pressing slowly on the brake pedal before trying to shift it works.
    Reminding you that the Cobalts had the same issue and the Cobalt and HHR are the same car with different bodies.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,003
    laserblue,

If there is anything we can look into for you on this, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, as summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • Same thing I have seen. in numerous messages. except seems colder it gets the worse it gets. are there any recalls?

this car was just bought about 5 months ago. It is my first Chevrolet, in 30 years. What is the fix for it? I love the car except for this problem.

Also how do I check transmission fluid?
  • I am having this exact same issue and my luck it started yesterday on Christmas eve. I read some of these comments a the pushing the break over and over has worked thus far. But since its christmas I am stuck taking a cab because the last thing I want is to get stranded somewhere. Ugh not happy right now
2»