Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch Out for Kia

Comments

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    edited June 2011
    image2012 Kia Rio hatchback

That I really do like and would find a test drive to be cool.

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

• fintailfintail Posts: 34,313
    Well to be fair, even 5 years ago they didn't have any of the style, and the Koreans have been advancing in engine technology. As purchasing power and real incomes decline, along with their product improving (who says massive federal subsidies and bailouts can't work?), they have some future.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,975
    Well they've surprised me. I think my comments were directed more toward the idea that not only is competition fierce on the lower end but profits are smaller.

You remember the old joke about one merchant asking another how he could sell his products at a loss?

"I make it up in volume!"

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

Wasn't that GMs slogan for a generation or so? :shades:

The margins are lower for sure. I doubt Kia has to worry though, Koreans are very proud of their industry and their feds will step in again if the ship takes on any water.
    That's probably true. Many of the Asian economies work on systems that would scare American economists---but then, we seem to have operated on systems that failed to scare our own economists enough. :P

Well, pot, meet kettle. The US gov'mint certainly seems to have kept GM and Chrysler out of the grave these last few years, and successfully so---

our Federalees don't even know where their own money is going to...remember that CSPAN of a month or so ago where the woman in charge didn't know how this huge chunk of Federal money was being allocated when she was asked that particular question? Scary, but true.

We're not doomed but we're always ready to make a bailout...I...I mean a bankruptcy...ooops...I...I mean another ride in the NYC Cashcab or the CHI Cashcab...a reality.

Now that America's problems are all solved I'm gonna go witness another Seattle Mariner's victory on the tube. I've got more important ventures to pursue.

edited June 2011
    Oh that's probably more scare tactic than true...most government loans have very strict accounting and require lots of accountability. You'll hear all kinds of bad info on economics from the mouths of media.

Fact is, bailouts of the car companies seems to have worked, at least for now.

I doubt most car companies in the world would still exist were it not for some form of government assistance, either financial or regulatory or protective.

one could probably Google what I am talking about for more details, and you're right, Hyundai was bailed out by the SK Guv-Mint, then they bailed out Kia.

But this deal I say was on C-SPAN. All these kids now are watching our big, bloated Guv-Mint like a hawk so they can expose it's weaknesses. And they'll find them, our Guv-Mint is arrogant and won't care what these kids find out. Besides, unless they form an uprising, what's gonna become of this information, anyway? Ignorance is bliss, right?

No, this lady was in some kind of a Timothy Geitner-type position, the newsperson formed a question about a big chunk of money being spent on something that lacked contact-ability, and this woman had no idea what he was talking about. I think the huge chunk of money was missing, that was it. And she didn't know where it had gone!

But for sure the money was missing, though. Not all that hard for me to imagine such a thing with big Guv-Mint, actually.

Sounds like her job evaluation was missing, not the money.

Sounds like her job evaluation was missing, not the money.

Unbelievable. She certainly is still counting on those raspberry jelly donuts and Starbuck's coffee delivered hot and on the spot, though. Pathetic.

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,949
    Hyundai is doing even better though.

"The sales pace for Hyundai and Kia vehicles has been torrid. Hyundai set a new May record of nearly 60,000 vehicles sold for a 21 percent hike over the same record-breaking period in 2010. Kia not only had its best May but its best month ever with sales of more than 48,000 vehicles for a 53 percent boost from the year earlier. That gave Kia its highest market share in history at 4.5 percent, according to Edmunds.com’s records. While Kia may cool a tad in June from May, likely due to inventory shortages, Hyundai is on fire in June. Edmunds.com’s forecast for June car sales puts Hyundai on track for record sales and market share. Combined, Hyundai and Kia are predicted by Edmunds.com to see sales up more than 4 percent from May to June and up 34 percent from last June for a record 10.2 percent market share – 5.9 percent for Hyundai and 4.3 percent from Kia, according to Edmunds.com’s forecast."

Japanese - and Korean - Inventories Drop Most (AutoObserver)

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

For EU customers who don't believe Kia has a 7 year warranty there:

Kia Goes Transparent by Hooking Benoit Morene to a Lie Detector (autoevolution.com)

I'm not so sure about this gimmick--it might backfire here in the States...a photo of a person taking a lie detector test is a lot like a photo of someone in handcuffs...it has the sniff of criminality about it.

Gutsy, though. Clever.

• cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    Korean government supports its auto industry with tax incentives/breaks and has done so for decades. Believe me, if either Hyundai or Kia stumble the Korean government will step in with $$. Amazing how many cars we allow them to sell here, yet we cannot export to S. Korea. They have a mentality in S. Korea to purchase home made goods/services first. Imagine if we Americans had this mentality... :sick:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,786
    edited July 2011
    They going to three shifts at their Georgia plant (24 hour a day????) to boost production to 360,000 a year.

Great article about Hyundai and Kia here. Excellent in-depth analysis by Dale Buss:

Hyundai And Kia Prosper Now But Look To Future
    By Dale Buss July 25, 2011

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/hyundai-and-kia-prosper-now-but-look-to-futu- - re.html
    my boys. They just keep getting better and better and better. And producing more and more and more. All the time. ;)

• 64221306422130 Posts: 41
    I took delivery of an Optima on Saturday. Air conditioner stopped working as I drove off the lot. Dealer would not cancel paperwork or switch car. Picked car up on Monday and air not working again today. Dealer does not have loaners, Kia is completely unsympathetic and won't help. I like the car but the company and dealers are not up to par based on my experience thus far. I suppose recourse will be lemon law but this easy could have been resolved.
    edited November 2012
    We had a long thread about people not meeting their mpg targets back in September in the Sorento Real World MPG discussion.

"Hyundai Motor Group's Hyundai and Kia units overstated the fuel economy of about 900,000 vehicles sold in the U.S. since late 2010, the company said Friday, citing an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

It said it will compensate U.S. buyers for the difference."

Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims (Wall St. Journal)

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    edited November 2012
    If you watched magazine reviews over the last 12-18 months, you would notice that as-tested MPG for Hyundais and Kias ALWAYS fell several points below the city EPA rating, whereas for most cars tested these days, the as-tested at least met the city rating, when it wasn't higher.

AutoNews has the new ratings, and they are all 38 MPG highway or lower. The Kia Soul dropped five points highway.

OTOH, the Accent and Elantra are still competitive, even at 28/38 or whatever they are now. And they are giving out debit cards for the entire time the owner keeps the car - the difference in mileage times the cost of gas + 25%, or something like that. They expect an Elantra owner driving 15,000 miles per year to net an $88 debit card this year.

Just think about that: $88 x 900,000 cars = like $80 million per year they will be paying out to make it right for existing owners. Wow. They expect to have new stickers on the cars on lots within a few days.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,972
    I wonder the prices on the new stickers are going to be the same? Elantra $88 a year, mark up sticker $400. :P
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,695
    Well it IS the auto industry, I wouldn't put it past them! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

edited January 2013
    Kia Motors Announces Google Maps Integration To Enhance In-car Connectivity

Jukebox, 911 calls if your airbag deploys, nav, remote diagnostics and a find your parked car app.

Hyundai doing the same thing.

edited March 2013
    This could be interesting. Get some of the look without the reliability concerns.

2014 Kia Soul Inspired by Track'ster Concept

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,205
    Good thing they went with Google Maps. If they went with Mapquest, the drivers would become hopelessly lost with their convoluted directions!
    Nice update, other than the weird low round pods at front and rear. Still a goofy anime car for dorks and old people, but maybe Kia, with Schreyer and team, is building a better Scion.
  • KIA is the new Toyota, the Korean auto makers seem to have the beat Quality available today.
  • That should read BEST not beat.
    edited September 17
    Welcome to the Forums @candlou1. You can edit your posts for four hours. :)

A Soul is still on my shopping list - are you driving a Kia?