Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch Out for Kia

13»

Comments

• Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,059
    Hyundai is doing even better though.

"The sales pace for Hyundai and Kia vehicles has been torrid. Hyundai set a new May record of nearly 60,000 vehicles sold for a 21 percent hike over the same record-breaking period in 2010. Kia not only had its best May but its best month ever with sales of more than 48,000 vehicles for a 53 percent boost from the year earlier. That gave Kia its highest market share in history at 4.5 percent, according to Edmunds.com’s records. While Kia may cool a tad in June from May, likely due to inventory shortages, Hyundai is on fire in June. Edmunds.com’s forecast for June car sales puts Hyundai on track for record sales and market share. Combined, Hyundai and Kia are predicted by Edmunds.com to see sales up more than 4 percent from May to June and up 34 percent from last June for a record 10.2 percent market share – 5.9 percent for Hyundai and 4.3 percent from Kia, according to Edmunds.com’s forecast."

Japanese - and Korean - Inventories Drop Most (AutoObserver)
    For EU customers who don't believe Kia has a 7 year warranty there:

Kia Goes Transparent by Hooking Benoit Morene to a Lie Detector (autoevolution.com)
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,700
    I'm not so sure about this gimmick--it might backfire here in the States...a photo of a person taking a lie detector test is a lot like a photo of someone in handcuffs...it has the sniff of criminality about it.

Gutsy, though. Clever.
  • cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    Korean government supports its auto industry with tax incentives/breaks and has done so for decades. Believe me, if either Hyundai or Kia stumble the Korean government will step in with $$. Amazing how many cars we allow them to sell here, yet we cannot export to S. Korea. They have a mentality in S. Korea to purchase home made goods/services first. Imagine if we Americans had this mentality... :sick:
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Posts: 1,623
    edited July 2011
    They going to three shifts at their Georgia plant (24 hour a day????) to boost production to 360,000 a year.

Great article about Hyundai and Kia here. Excellent in-depth analysis by Dale Buss:

Hyundai And Kia Prosper Now But Look To Future
    By Dale Buss July 25, 2011

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/07/hyundai-and-kia-prosper-now-but-look-to-futu- - re.html
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    my boys. They just keep getting better and better and better. And producing more and more and more. All the time. ;)

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• 64221306422130 Posts: 41
    I took delivery of an Optima on Saturday. Air conditioner stopped working as I drove off the lot. Dealer would not cancel paperwork or switch car. Picked car up on Monday and air not working again today. Dealer does not have loaners, Kia is completely unsympathetic and won't help. I like the car but the company and dealers are not up to par based on my experience thus far. I suppose recourse will be lemon law but this easy could have been resolved.
    edited November 2012
    We had a long thread about people not meeting their mpg targets back in September in the Sorento Real World MPG discussion.

"Hyundai Motor Group's Hyundai and Kia units overstated the fuel economy of about 900,000 vehicles sold in the U.S. since late 2010, the company said Friday, citing an investigation by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

It said it will compensate U.S. buyers for the difference."

Hyundai Retreats on Fuel-Economy Claims (Wall St. Journal)
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    edited November 2012
    If you watched magazine reviews over the last 12-18 months, you would notice that as-tested MPG for Hyundais and Kias ALWAYS fell several points below the city EPA rating, whereas for most cars tested these days, the as-tested at least met the city rating, when it wasn't higher.

AutoNews has the new ratings, and they are all 38 MPG highway or lower. The Kia Soul dropped five points highway.

OTOH, the Accent and Elantra are still competitive, even at 28/38 or whatever they are now. And they are giving out debit cards for the entire time the owner keeps the car - the difference in mileage times the cost of gas + 25%, or something like that. They expect an Elantra owner driving 15,000 miles per year to net an $88 debit card this year.

Just think about that: $88 x 900,000 cars = like $80 million per year they will be paying out to make it right for existing owners. Wow. They expect to have new stickers on the cars on lots within a few days.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,459
    I wonder the prices on the new stickers are going to be the same? Elantra $88 a year, mark up sticker $400. :P
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Well it IS the auto industry, I wouldn't put it past them! :-P

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

edited January 2013
    Kia Motors Announces Google Maps Integration To Enhance In-car Connectivity

Jukebox, 911 calls if your airbag deploys, nav, remote diagnostics and a find your parked car app.

Hyundai doing the same thing.
    edited March 2013
    This could be interesting. Get some of the look without the reliability concerns.

2014 Kia Soul Inspired by Track'ster Concept

• lemkolemko Posts: 15,077
    Good thing they went with Google Maps. If they went with Mapquest, the drivers would become hopelessly lost with their convoluted directions!
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,946
    Nice update, other than the weird low round pods at front and rear. Still a goofy anime car for dorks and old people, but maybe Kia, with Schreyer and team, is building a better Scion.
13»